Home
I am having a McHale made and he is about to start cutting fabric so I have to decide on color. I am going with what he has in stock so I can get it in time for an upcoming hunt and the pack will be used for just as much hunting as it will hiking. Here's a picture of the choices that I could think of. If you have any other thoughts or combinations I'd like to hear them. I want to stick with earth tones. What I'm thinking about is all O.D., O.D. with grey straps, O.D. with tan straps, tan/brown with grey straps. The forest and teal green dont do it for me.

[Linked Image]

He did one for me that he calls "Lizzard Horror", and I love it. It's an all dyneema pack that started out white, that I sent back and had dyed green with black stripes. It kinda looks like the Viet Nam type tigerstripe camo. My big one is green dyed dyneema with tan straps.
Don
If you get a chance, post a pic of your McHale packs. I'd like to see "Lizzard Horror".....grin
Dan has pics of many of the packs he makes on his site. I don't know if he's made more than 1 but the "Lizzard Horror" pack was on his site a while back, not sure if it still is or not.

I didn't know he (Dan) had those natural/neutral color materials available, makes me want one even more. I wish I had the $$ to order one.

Edit: what kind of material is it? ie: 500d cordura
I would go with the brown or maybe the gray.
I did a brown grey combo. Pack is brown, but grey straps, panel, etc.
The brown in the bottom right gets my vote (which don't mean squat).
How about the Brown as main color with the straps Olive Drab.

I also prefer neutral colors ... for some reason, that particular gray doesn't do it for me. Neither do the blue or green. But, this pack is for you.
To help you visualize, this is the look I'm going for, sans the yellow.

[Linked Image]
Not bad. The grey on that pack looks different/better than the samples of the first photo posted. That looks good. I think it would also look good with the OD. I'm sure you will post us a pic of the finished product, but sans the yellow, I like it either way.
I've got mine in grey for the main body, and that green on the left for the bottom excepting the spectra. The straps are green. It's pretty subdued.
Well Dan called and it's in the mail. Here's how it turned out, pictures courtesy of Dan McHale. Below is a link and if you scroll down you'll see my pack on his website. I posted a few pictures for your convenience. I like how it turned out.

http://www.mchalepacks.com/ultralight/detail/LBP%2035.htm

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

very nice, that panel loading feature seems like a good idea.....it always seems like what you want to get to real quick has slipped to the bottom.
Posted By: Vek Re: New McHale Pack Color Decision - 09/04/09
Your mission should be to end up with a pack that ends up looking like a stump, bush, or rock, or combination of the three. I like his OD green, and would go monochrome.
Up to the top.
So many color options...
© 24hourcampfire