Home
Posted By: JasonB Danner stitch down hiking boots - 02/14/10
Looking in to the the Danner Mountain Light II, Explorer, and Light II and was wondering what the major differences are in terms of construction and performance. So far the only things I am seeing are the Mountain Light II's use a D loop type eyelet, are 1" shorter, and have fewer pieces of leather making up the boot body than the Explorer/Light II and the major difference between the last 2 being the nylon panels on the Light II boots. Any reviews would be greatly appreciated since this will almost have to be a sight unseen purchase since no local places carry Danner Hikers.
Anyone use any of these 3 boots?
Jason

This is just my observation and certainly not a scientific study. Lately, I have seen disappointing results with the Danner line. My buddy and guide in Idaho had similar problems with the leather breaking down providing little to no ankle support after a couple of months of wear.

I personally having spent way to much and way to often money on mediocre boots. I'll save a little longer and purchase top brand boots.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Well crap, I ordered a pair of Explorers a couple of hours ago. smile Most every review I was seeing was not new so I guess I can hope I will receive new old stock.

Had the same problem with Merrells seeming to break down quickly too.
Like I said, it was only two guys compared to the hundreds of dozens sold.

Something to keep in mind is what type of leather dressing you use to maintain your leather.

I know kenetrek recommends the nikwax for their mountain boots as it doesn't over soften the leather but recommends the montana pitch blend for their thicker oiled leather on their pac boots.

I take care of my boots and use both products. If you over use the montana pitch dressing, I could see how it may over soften the thinner leather. I love it on my pac boots.
Have you used the Danner boot dressing?
I have a can of it. Pay the $5 shipping you can have it.

Can't really say anything bad, just sticking with what has worked for me.
I think Danners are crap. Thats just my opinion though, have owned two different pair, used them for a week and then trashed them.
I might take you up on that offer if I like them when I get them in. Is it the brown version?
Yes it is brown
© 24hourcampfire