Home
Posted By: bluegoose Daypack for LONG torso - 03/24/10
Anybody have any ideas on a decent daypack for a guy w/ a long torso?

I'm 6'5 but I only have a 32" inseam.

My extended trip pack was custom built for me by Vortex 10 years ago and fits and carries like a dream.

I've been using a BL 2800 for the past couple of years, but when loaded up for a long day of Coues hunting (full size tripod, spotter, 15's, H2O, food etc.) my shoulders bear the brunt of the weight.

I called up Kifaru, they seemed to think that only their freighter packs would do the trick.

I called up Badlands and they suggested the 4500 or the ox. It seems like I've been reading of quite a few 4500's breaking when loaded up as of late.

I'm curious if anybody around here has any ideas or suggestions.

thanks,

Goose
Posted By: B_Lance Re: Daypack for LONG torso - 03/24/10
I'm 6'3" and currently looking for something similar. I have been asking around about kifaru Late Season- but I'm 6'3".

No doubt fit is everything.Here is some possibles; the adjustable Eberlestocks [not packs like the X2]
Kifaru, and Mchale packs

Mchale is a custom pack builder in Seattle that I have heard nothing but good things about- downside ;its $500 and up
Posted By: SteveO Re: Daypack for LONG torso - 03/24/10
I am anxious to try the new Sitka Bivy 30--I see it comes in a regular and a long.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Daypack for LONG torso - 03/24/10
Originally Posted by SteveO
I am anxious to try the new Sitka Bivy 30--I see it comes in a regular and a long.

Steve,
I have the Bivy 45 in a long, and it fits me very well(I am 5'9" with a 30 inch inseam)-so I am rather long waisted also.
Posted By: oklahunter Re: Daypack for LONG torso - 03/26/10
For the price of the stuff you're looking at, you can afford a McHale small pack and it it will fit. His guide harness stuff starts at about $400. Every pack is custom made and he does a lot of business with those who can't get a decent fit elsewhere. I have one of his smaller packs with the guide harness. It fits like a dream, is tough, has a real frame and is made about as well as a pack can be made.
How much will it carry? It is set up with light stays and is very comfortable with 30-35 lbs. It's not a large pack so I really haven't carried more in it. I doubt I could do any damage to it though. It is my most used pack.
Posted By: NH Hunter Re: Daypack for LONG torso - 03/26/10
Only one size, but it is long. If you don't have a long torso, this is not the pack for you. I've had one for 3 or 4 years now. It's well built, a little heavy at 5lbs 10oz empty, but I find it very comfortable.

I don't think this can be beat for the price in a "hunting" pack, if it fits you properly.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/47371?parentCategory=8884&feat=8884-tn&cat4=1118

I'm 6' and have a 29" inseam.

Mike.
Posted By: KLM Re: Daypack for LONG torso - 03/26/10
Might I suggest you check out Mystery Ranch, lots of harness adjustment as well as different sizes.
© 24hourcampfire