Home
what are you guys using for a lighter on your backpacking excursions??
I found this really cool lighter that has a bunch of pockets but I cant remeber the name of it right now-sorry
A couple BIC lighters, a LightMyFire steel and some firestarter.

MtnHtr
Originally Posted by 30mike06
I found this really cool lighter that has a bunch of pockets but I cant remeber the name of it right now-sorry

Was it camo?
I would not buy an expensive windproof lighter. My fancy Brunton Helios is a complete POS.

Originally Posted by Mtn Hunter
A couple BIC lighters, a LightMyFire steel and some firestarter.

+1

Originally Posted by 222Rem
Originally Posted by 30mike06

Was it camo?
laugh laugh

I just carry a couple of bics and a few of those 'trick' birthday candles. Funny though, I keep them all in one pocket with my other stuff and can hardly ever find them........ wink
I can't stand the spin-the-wheel lighters. I go to the tobacco shop and buy a few piezo lighters.

my fingers can get cold pretty easy and when cold and wet, it's a little tough to snap the wheel and hold the gas valve. With the piezos, just press the valve lever.
OK, I've got a confession. I'm a sucker for gadgets---------especially ones that involve fire. I own BOTH the Brunton Helios and the Windmill Delta lighters. I snagged 'em on Ebay for a lot less than retail, so I didn't get burned. grin

The burner/ignitor assemblies of both appear to be made by the same Japanese company. The way they each seal up is bascially the same too. They're both much bulkier and heavier than a disposible Bic, and for the money, a guy could buy several dozen Bics and be ahead of the game IMO. But I bought these lighters to test and play with, not because I thought I was getting something "better" than a Bic. I haven't tested them above 10K feet, but I've heard they might not work. That's fine because I never find myself there. I feed them both Vector 5x refined butane and so far I haven't had a lick of trouble with either one. I don't smoke, so they're not getting the daily miles a smoker would put on 'em. I'd trust either one in the mountains, but I'd still have a fire steel, stormproof matches and some Vaseline cotton balls too. If the lighter failed, then I wouldn't be risking my life---------same approach I take with Bics.

My knock on the Helios was at altitude. Mine doens't work above 9k or so, but I've been told I might need to try a more refined butane. It does have the cool factor going for it though, but I just don't trust it for much more than my cigars though.

coumminscowboy:

I always carry a disposable BIC lighter in my pocket. I like those with transparent bodies so you can see how much fuel is inside. They don't work well if they get wet and when I carry one in my pocket, the head can get filled with lint. So I always carry an extra lighter and a small pill bottle full of large kitchen matches, in my cook kit.

I've had some of the fancy wind-proof lighters and I threw them away.

KC

Thanks for the clarification Browtine. If I ever find myself heading to some higher elevations, I'll take my lighters along just to test 'em. I enjoy cigars, but have intentionally kept them from becoming part of my lifestyle. The Helios would be a great torch for that purpose though.
Like mtnhunter says 2 of the small bic lighters a fire steel and vasaline cotton balls.
Few years back I picked up a Butane Soldering iron. Its about twice as long as a standard Bic lighter and refillable. When you remove the soldering tip it will shoot a 1.5" blue flame out the end. Once its lit it will burn for 15 minutes until it runs out of butane. More than enough time to catch even the dampest tender. Its handy as a pocket on a shirt. I light it, set it propted on a little rock shooting the flame under a pile of twigs and before long they are crackling and catching fire. Ive built a fire with some wood that I thought would never catch using this little beauty!
A couple BIC butane lighters (they tend to 'disappear' over a trip) and a medicine bottle with strike anywhere matches. Usually have a fire steel stashed somewhere.
What's your favorite backpacking toilet paper??

I've never backpacked so I want to know what works best 'tween your cheeks?

Originally Posted by smokepole
What's your favorite backpacking toilet paper??

I've never backpacked so I want to know what works best 'tween your cheeks?

I like the camo stuff, made out of Ti.

Its more expensive than paper, but sometimes you can find it on EBAY, used...

laugh
LMAO dan.
Bic. I have several in various places. Pants pocket, pack pocket, oh chitt kit... I try to buy orange so they're easy to see, no camo. smile
TOWTABS!!!! Best backpacking arse wipe EVER!! Just add a little water and watch em expand into a but cleaning marvel!! They are actually very strong, 10 in a roll about the size of a roll of dimes, and they work great for anything else you need to wipe up!
The best part...they dont disintegrate if they get wet!

Bick lighters all the way, have not had an issue with them up to 8000feet.
My question about TP was not a serious one (you could say "tongue-in-cheek" but that just doesn't sound right in this context). But as long as we're on that subject, for serious arse-wiping I like the Nice n Clean antibacterial wipes, Campmor has 'em. They come in small, resealable packs, and they're antibacterial so after you're done with the arse-wiping you can pull out another wipe to clean/sanitize your hands with. I have some towtabs and I like them for general camp chores.

As far as lighters, I carry bics and like them for their convenience, but they are mechanical devices so I always have a backyp that's not a Bic, like a metal match with tinder and/or stormproof matches.
I carry a Gerber Strike Force and a fire piston they both work in the cold and when wet. Lighters are ok until they get wet or temps get really low. Fire is to important in an outdoor living or survival situation to only have one source for making it.
Lighters and matches are to unreliable and unforgiving.

Pat
Originally Posted by eyeguy
Like mtnhunter says 2 of the small bic lighters a fire steel and vasaline cotton balls.

+2
Bic lighters and cottonball/Vaseline combo for the win.
I would like to get a good wind/water-proof lighter too. This in part is due simply to the fact that all of the disposable lighters seem to have gotten far far worse over the last five years or so. They work increasingly poorly over the first week, and then, still at least 3/4 full, they barely produce any flame at all and will blow out in a 2 mph wind. Has anyone else noticed that? Any ideas? I'm willing to pay.
I always carry a Windproof Lighter in my pocket, but i would not buy a expensive windroof lighter
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
I would like to get a good wind/water-proof lighter too. This in part is due simply to the fact that all of the disposable lighters seem to have gotten far far worse over the last five years or so. They work increasingly poorly over the first week, and then, still at least 3/4 full, they barely produce any flame at all and will blow out in a 2 mph wind. Has anyone else noticed that? Any ideas? I'm willing to pay.

If you noticed, most everyone suggested Bic disposable lighters by name, rather than just "disposable." There's a difference......
I always have a Bic in my fire kit, but lately I've just started using my fire steel to light the Pocket Rocket, Alki stove, vaseline CBs, Triox etc.... And....it fires every time and I can do it easily with gloves on.

For a never fail windproof lighter, for many years I have carried my old, standard Zippo lighter. Lights every time, is windproof, and can also be stood up while burning without my having to hold any lever down, etc.

Now I am well aware that some will say, "Ahhhh, Hell, a Zippo ain't any good 'cause they run out of fluid."

Yeah, that's true, if you don't bother to pay attention to it. But as I don't smoke -- gave it up in 1976 -- anytime I'm going out in the boonies, I just hit the cotton a few drops of fluid and top it off. But I also always carry in my day pack, two of the 1/8 oz. bottles that once held Tabasco Sauce. Cleaned out and filled with lighter fluid, those two bottles will make 100% certain I am not going to run out of fluid for my Zippo.

Yes, I carry a Bic, in addition, plus a large ferrro rod, tinder, etc., and some waterproof strike anywhere matches. But when all else fails, that old Zippo ain't gonna let me down.

(Plus, I won it in a poker game one Sunday afternoon, when I was stationed at Fort Gordon, Georgia, a long, long time ago. Kinda has sentimental value to me. grin )

L.W.
Got one of these the other day; not any more reliable than a lighter, but a fun gadget none the less. Drop in a cheap lighter and torch away.
HAHA..I just ordered one of those along with their new regulated stoves yesterday. Look forward to trying it out. Plus I figure the little torch can't hurt when I want to cheat a build a fire in a hurry. laugh
That's sorta what I figured. I'm intrigued by the OD-1R, and from what I hear the jury's still out on a significant boost in cold weather performance. I have heard lots of people say that it is a nicely built stove any way you cut it.
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
HAHA..I just ordered one of those along with their new regulated stoves yesterday. Look forward to trying it out. Plus I figure the little torch can't hurt when I want to cheat a build a fire in a hurry. laugh

I just picked up one of the Soto stoves. The lighter looks kind of bulky and seemed heavy for what it is. I'll probably end up trying one though smile
© 24hourcampfire