Home
Posted By: conrad101st Best orange hunting hat - 09/05/10
So I'm looking for an orange boonie type hat to wear elk hunting. I've seen the cabelas version but the brim is not goretex. Anybody found a good one?
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: Best orange hunting hat - 09/05/10
No experience but Outdoor Cap company makes a blaze orange boonie (probably is the same as Cabelas):

Gore Tex Boonie - Blaze

Gore Tex Boonie

Too bad the OR Seattle Sombrero does not come in blaze, it's the best rain hat IME.

Another option - blaze hat cover

MtnHtr
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Best orange hunting hat - 09/06/10
Does not look like either of the choices posted by MtnHtr has Goretex brims. Given that, buy the hat you like, and then the blaze hat cover. Should work.
I saw a marmot preclip safari hat that was really nice but no blaze orange. Hoping for something like that. You would think the tree huggers would want to be safe when they are out worshiping the acorns in their Druid rituals and would therefore make orange equipment for their faithful.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Best orange hunting hat - 09/06/10
Just spray the brim with any kind of waterproofing. Goretex is designed to breath. A brim doesn't need that, only the crown
Posted By: MarlinMark Re: Best orange hunting hat - 09/07/10
Stormy Kromer
A Goretex brim adds cost and no value, as stated before it's made to breathe and there is no value in a brim that breathes. Most companies aren't going to add cost to their rain hat like that.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Best orange hunting hat - 09/07/10
Originally Posted by MarlinMark
Stormy Kromer

I don't have one in orange, but mine is the best cold weather hat I've ever owned. It fits very well and it's WARM.
Posted By: AHM Re: Best orange hunting hat - 09/07/10
for me......I swear by this hat. May just look like a regular cap, but I've been thru thick and thin with this thing and it has always come thru.

Insulated warmth, wool ear flaps, stiff brim to hold onto while glassing if needed..... I've been from 5 degrees to 75 degrees with this thing. It's orange (the only orange I wear) and it's Filson. For sitting in super cold weather (teens and below) you may want something that is a bit more for that situation (stocking cap or whatever), but for me I've had no issue in the cold, windy, snow. In general I would say - If you are moving, no problem. Above 20 or so, no problem.

Can't tell from the pics on the site, but there is a soft/lightly padded insulation in the hat, in addition to othe wool flaps.

http://www.filson.com/products/tin-...ting/hats-gloves&fmetaProduct=aa1311
Originally Posted by acesandeights
A Goretex brim adds cost and no value, as stated before it's made to breathe and there is no value in a brim that breathes. Most companies aren't going to add cost to their rain hat like that.

For me, it's not about breathing. It's about water the brim water-logging and sagging down on your face.
Nevermind, I posted something worthless.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Best orange hunting hat - 09/07/10
Originally Posted by conrad101st
Originally Posted by acesandeights

For me, it's not about breathing. It's about water the brim water-logging and sagging down on your face.

Then you don't want Goretex in the brim. You want something with a waterproof top layer. Just spray the brim with any kind of waterproofing, even Thompsons Water Seal although it might change the color some. I've used it on tent floors with very good success. Be sure to get plenty in the seam between the brim and crown or you'll have water dripping in your face.
good point.
© 24hourcampfire