[Linked Image]
Start looking around:
[Linked Image]
For these. But not particularly these:
[Linked Image]
Sneak around until your shot looks like this:
[Linked Image]
And you get this:
[img]http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj241/mtcazador/2010GoatHunt060jpgresized.jpg[/img]
Build yourself a fire and eat tenderloin:
[img]http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj241/mtcazador/2010GoatHunt074jpgresized.jpg[/img]
Then pack it out like this:
[img]http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj241/mtcazador/2010GoatHunt076jpgresized.jpg[/img]

See. Nothing to it.

Items of interest in the pack:
Titanium Goat Vertex 6.5
Stubai Telescoping Ice Axe
Mathews Reezen 7.0
FOB's
Shuttle-T 100's
Wiggy's Mountain Hunter Bag
Pacific Outdoor Mtn Lite Pad (no longer available)
Vortex Razor 10x42's and a Doubler
JetBoil and 1 Fuel
Merrell Sawtooth boots (WOW. Best I've ever owned)
Lorpen Socks
Osprey Argon 85 pack
Crossfire Frame pack for meat
Motorola Iridium 9555 Sat Phone

I'd love to tell you all how hard this is, but it's just like sneaking up on the fireplug at the end of the block!

Enjoy,
Taylor
YES!!!! That is badass. Well done sir.
Just great! Thanks for the pics and the equipment list.
Good job!!!
Originally Posted by MarcTaylor

it's just like sneaking up on the fireplug at the end of the block!

Something tells me that might not be completely true!

Great job on the hunt and writeup.
Cool! nice job.

Kent
Well done!
Awesome Mark...
Very cool!
Cool stuff! cool Thanks for sharing!

MtnHtr
This is what I hope to see every time I come on this site. Outstanding Marc!! Well done.
Way cool!
My hat is off to you Sir, job well done.
nice.
Cool!
my only goat hunt was a 'should have been here yesterday' deal and no walk to the corner fire plug!
good work!
Marc,

Way to get it done. My wife said she is getting pretty excited to go goat hunting after stopping by to pick up the crampons and hearing about this hunt. Guess that leg is more than back 100% with putting it to the true test on this hunt no doubt. Way to go man!!!
Marc,
You left out the best part! Tell me about getting the meat, hide and horns home. I've killed three goats, but had a guide AND packer. The one I killed two weeks ago was a jumbo and would have taken me three trips down if solo.
Don
Outstanding!
Awsome! Not much more can be said other than congrats on a life time accomplishment!
Very impressive. I watched a bunch last weekend that were about 4-500 yds above us. I hadn't seen any in Colorado in a long, long time. So, it was pretty cool.

Great write-up!

Loved the pics!
2 packs on a solo hunt?

That's damn impressive.
Sweet post
BrentD - Yes. Look closely at that first picture and you'll see that frame attached to the outside back of my Osprey.

140lbs off that mountain would not have been a good idea in one load. I tried briefly but had absolutely no balance in the rocks.

It really makes for a smooth pack-out. You take one down a ways until you start to feel it, then take it off and ease your way back up with nothing but a water bottle to get the other. It's my third goat out that way, because I regularly hunt them solo.

Thanks for the comments, fellas. I've been locked out of my login for a couple days and frustrated that I couldn't get back into this thread to reply.

No. Not an easy hunt. I was being alot sarcastic, as I knew this crowd knows a hard hunt when they see one.

Taylor
That's awesome.
well done... can hardly even imagine...
Thanks for posting. Always great to share someones hunt. 2 packs awesome.
Originally Posted by MarcTaylor

No. Not an easy hunt. I was being alot sarcastic, as I knew this crowd knows a hard hunt when they see one.

Taylor

I backpack hunted a big billy last year solo. by far the hardest hunt of my life. the 2 pack system would have saved me a lot of bruising and bloodloss when I packed down 110lbs of gear and meat. great idea.

Thanks for sharing, looks like an amazing adventure!
outstanding Marc---ever since I sold you a Matthews you have been a MONSTER on critters with stik and string! Very cool man!
Awesome picts guy, great job.

Whats even more impressive is that there is no Wiggys bashing yet. grin
Awesome hunt!! The two packs makes sense to me, good idea.
Love it when someone posts photos of a backpack hunting adventure. Well done!
That is too cool for words, BadA$$ for sure.
Very, very cool! Thanks for the report and pics.
Originally Posted by cwh2
Awesome Mark...

Sooner or later I'll figure out that there's no "K" in your name...
Way to go!!! Congrats all around! Not sure I could do 140... I have done about 125 in training.... that turned into half a caribou and gear... but not in rocks... only in miserable 'heads... I'm impressed.

Jeff
Thanks for the post - really great. Also the 2 pack thing, really interesting and great idea, may try that one day.
Bump.

Here's one from a couple years back. Same M.O., but I went without the tent and a couple other things this time.

Still travel with two packs, though. Never looking back from that.

Same Merrell Sawtooths. It was their fourth goat hunt.

Taylor
Once again, impressive!
Don
Bad to the bone x 2....Great photo-essay and thanks.

Stupid question but how do you tell a nanny from a billy?
Not very easily, unless you happen to catch them urinating; Nannies squat.

There are horn differences, but they are not 100% accurate. Big glands behind the horns always equal a billy, though.

Look for a solo goat and shoot only a solo goat.

A BIG BILLY is obvious, however. Massive. But not if you've never compared him to anything... so... back to square one. LOL
Congrats on a fun hunt!
Great job.

How do you like the harness on that molle frame- and where you get one like that? I have had a Molle frame for a # of years and although I like it- the harness and hip belt on mine could be better, and I am looking into how to upgrade to a better one. The frame itself works very well at transferring the load, but on mine the hip belt does not have great lumbar padding and the sh. harness could be better.

Thanks
Originally Posted by Dave93

Stupid question but how do you tell a nanny from a billy?

Goat ID Quiz
Nice. I'm curious what you used in that terrain for stakes or anchor points for your TiGoat 6.5 shelter.
The stakes that came with it. Then rocks on top of them. I was on mountain heather. Pretty spongy, with rocks underneath.
Flat out awesome!!!! Congrats

ddj
Dang, I got a new hero. You go man!

Wow... I mean WOW.
Very cool,

Glad your shutter is quiet smile

Congrats,
LOL

A goat will sit or stand still for a LOOOOONNNGGG time. Once you're in range, you've basically just got to understand what you're racing... time... dark... weather... or getting busted by another goat.

Then decide whether you're willing to wait it out.

In this thread, I was a full 2-hours from camp. In the other thread, a full hour.

How cold is it? What did you bring to here? Will it be worth it when you get back home and get to post your thread? LOL

Well, there you go... YES

© 24hourcampfire