Home
Posted By: huntem Schnee granite boots??? - 01/31/11
I may be looking for another boot this year and was curious about the reviews on the boots. I certainly realize that fit to each foot is very personal.

I'm curious more about the mechanics of the boot...warmth, the eVent should be kick ass, true to fit or other?

I currently have a pair of the lowa sheep hunters which are awesome with fairly low miles but a smashed toe 7 months ago isn't fairing well.

Thanks in advance
Posted By: huntem Re: Schnee granite boots??? - 02/02/11
No one?
Posted By: Brad Re: Schnee granite boots??? - 02/02/11
I believe there's a design flaw with the Granite. The insulation is quite thin below the eyelets and they dig into the top of my feet... tried two different pairs at home to no avail. Pointed it out to the guy I was dealing with at Schnees and he agreed it didn't seem right.

I'd pass til they get it corrected... what's the problem with your Lowa's?
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Schnee granite boots??? - 02/02/11
Originally Posted by huntem
I may be looking for another boot this year and was curious about the reviews on the boots. I certainly realize that fit to each foot is very personal.

I'm curious more about the mechanics of the boot...warmth, the eVent should be kick ass, true to fit or other?

I currently have a pair of the lowa sheep hunters which are awesome with fairly low miles but a smashed toe 7 months ago isn't fairing well.

Thanks in advance

I don't know if you NEED to look for a new boot. Your smashed toe isn't a fair review of your LOWA's. A "search" is your friend here. The Eastman Journal had a great review last year on about 6 top sheep hunting boots. My .02
Posted By: MontanaPH Re: Schnee granite boots??? - 02/02/11
Lowa's really seem to fit my foot well, but just out of curiousity I tried on the new Schnees boots this last fall (saw the reveiws in Eastman's and a few other mags as well).

The Schnee's seemed to fit me pretty good too. My sheephunters still had some life in them but I was planning to replace my worn out tibets with the Beartooths this spring because I liked the higher cuff, but i guess the new boots have been popular and have been sold out for months, I heard possibly march before more become available now and Schnee's is taking pre-orders because they sold out so fast last time.
Posted By: huntem Re: Schnee granite boots??? - 02/03/11
Originally Posted by Brad
I believe there's a design flaw with the Granite. The insulation is quite thin below the eyelets and they dig into the top of my feet... tried two different pairs at home to no avail. Pointed it out to the guy I was dealing with at Schnees and he agreed it didn't seem right.

I'd pass til they get it corrected... what's the problem with your Lowa's?

Brad I talked to Schnee's today and she mentioned a revision in the boot. Possibly this may address the issue you speak of.

Originally Posted by bigwhoop

I don't know if you NEED to look for a new boot. Your smashed toe isn't a fair review of your LOWA's.

My smashed toe is certainly no review of the boot but more of the struggle I've had over the last 7 months with the fit of the boot with a dumb toe.

I personally hoped my feet would like the Kenetrek boots but the heal pocket did not like the shape of my feet. I am a huge fan of the eVent material and would like to give the granite boots a chance.

If the granite boots fit my feet well, I may dedicate my Lowa's to being resoled with corks.

Nasty picture I took 5 minutes after the block fell on my toe.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Berettaman Re: Schnee granite boots??? - 02/23/11
I have the Beartooths, which is a lighter version of the Granites and I am extremely impressed. I LOVE them. To me, they just seem to be better quality than any other boot that I have tried (full disclosure: i have not tried kennetreks or Lowa's). They just ooze quality. In fact, I miss them right now and I might go put them on just for fun while I sit at the computer!

I wore them on a backcountry elk hunt and they outperformed all the other boots in camp. I was raving about how good my boots were working and everyone else was not so happy.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Schnee granite boots??? - 02/23/11
That picture should be banned like Pointer's blister pic.
Posted By: Brad Re: Schnee granite boots??? - 02/23/11

Brad I talked to Schnee's today and she mentioned a revision in the boot. Possibly this may address the issue you speak of.

I hope that's the case... I'd really like to own a pair.

I personally hoped my feet would like the Kenetrek boots but the heal pocket did not like the shape of my feet.

Big +1... Kenetrek heel counter is too wide for my heel... nothing but slippage and evil blistering. Perhaps the women's model in a wide would work for my feet... might give it a try...
Posted By: pointer Re: Schnee granite boots??? - 02/24/11
Originally Posted by Ralphie
That picture should be banned like Pointer's blister pic.
I'd bet that one hurt much more than mine...
Posted By: huntem Re: Schnee granite boots??? - 02/24/11
It's my own fault being to cheap to replace my steel toed boots. Let me tell you (without a picture) it healed ugly.
© 24hourcampfire