Home
What are the differences between the two Remington Ti models, assuming a 7-08:
Weight? Blind magazine or Hinged Floorplate? Stock? Barrel?

It appears that the the Generation 1 model is more highly regarded? Is gen 2 decent? When (what year) did the model change over? Would you restock one or the other with a McMillian Edge to save weight?

I've got a 1989 or so era Model Seven with the Kevlar stock, rebarreled to .260 with a #2 @ 22" barrel. With a 3-9 FFII & Talley LWs it comes in at about 6-3/4#s. I got the rifle new as a prize for winning the Hunting and Fishing News monthly photo contest! I never liked the 18.5" barrel on the .243, even though it was plenty accurate.....too much muzzle blast. I really like the Kevlar stock as it is slender....are either of the Ti stocks comparable?

Thanks for the information. I am looking to potentially add a super light sheep capable rifle to the mix and am debating lightening what I already own or getting a Ti. Any comments? I live in BC after 35 years in Colorado and will hunt stones (with the bow, but am likely to take a back-up rifle if a non-hunting friend comes along to help pack).

My .260 shoots Todd Bartell's "old load" of H4831SC and 130 gr Accubonds into 3/4" for 5 shots at 100 meters. 95 gr V-Maxs with Varget go into the same group as well.

Alot of questions. Thanks for the replies.

Blockcaver
Gen 1 was a marvel of modern science...(grin) An honest 6.5lb rifle (all up w/ 6x42 scope) that had great accuracy. I've got 5 of them!

Gen 2 was a giant goat [bleep], and I wouldn't touch one unless I was buying for $750, and that would be just for the action.

But, you already have your rifle with the Model 7 260 you have..
Also, McM Edge will save you 2-3 oz.
What is the difference between the two?
Below are the differences.

Generation 1 Ti:
22" Mountain contour barrel
ADL (blind magazine)
Bell & Carlson textured stock
Standard grooved Remington Trigger

Generation 2 Ti - Introduced in 2007 and since discontinued (AKA Alaskan Ti):
24" Magnum contour barrel w/ flutes
BDL w/ bottom floorplate
Bell & Carlson stock w/ Maxxguard (rubbery feeling)
Pro X trigger

As Calvin eludes to, the Gen 2 went away from being a mountain rifle, and added nearly a pound to the rifle in all the wrong places. The Alaskan is very nose heavy due to the longer, heavier contour barrel.
Good luck in your quest for a gen 1!

That about nails it. I can't even fathom why Remington took a light Ti action, and give it a heavier barrel, made it BDL, and ruined an OK stock.

What makes a 1st Gen Ti so popular is that it had the light action, light barrel, and light stock. All the ones in my experience shot really well as issued.
You guys nailed it dead on..

Remington wasted a perfectly good action on a very bad combo...

The 1st gens were absolutely perfect.
Although this is probably to simple to answer, WHY would they make that change?

Just to market a new product at a higher price?
In my eyes they saw that the 1st gen was so successful they saw that they could make more money with this one practically doubling the price...

I have to admit when I heard they were doing the Alaskan TI I got excited that is until I saw the price tag and how it felt..
1st Gen Ti's weren't that expensive when they first came out. I got my 7-08 for around $750, new. My 270 was for around $650.

Recently, I picked up a used 30-06 and 260 that I had to remove a muzzle brake from for $875 each. Otherwise, they were in perfect shape, and whoever reworked the triggers did a hell of a job. Those two are some of the best shooting rifles I have.
All,

Thanks for the education. What would be a fair price for a NIB Gen 1 7-08 if I can convince the owner to part with it? He is a friend and I want to be fair, but would like to own the rifle.

As Calvin says, I don't need it, but would like to have it!

Kurt
$900-1k. Take good care of it, and you won't lose a dime on it if you ever decide to sell it. And it'll take about 10 minutes on the classifieds.
Does anyone know the weight difference between the two?
The alaskan Ti is listed at 6 lb for short action,compared to the gen 1 at 5.25 lb. The gen 1 7mm-08 I had was just over 6 lb with talleys and a leupold fx-II 6x36 mounted on it.

Wow, that's a significant difference. Remington suffers from self sabotage.
I have been watching for a deal on my bext 30-06...a gen 1 Ti. They were listed at 5.5 lb
If you had your choice of a 7-08 or 7 SAUM nib Gen 1 Ti which would you take for a sheep rifle to be used in British Columbia?

Does the SAUM weigh a 1/4 # more than the 7-08?

How bad is the recoil on the 7 SAUM? (I find my 6-3/4# Model Seven in .260 to be fine with 130 gr bullets at 2,800 fps as the Kevlar stock seems to absorb alot of the recoil. I never like getting abused. My old 12 gauge 870 short barreled slug gun beat me when I sighted it in years ago! So did my S&W 329 .44 magnum.

Thanks for this additional insite. My buddy has both rifles and I probably can talk him out of one, as neither are in use.

Kurt
What bullet do you want to use? The 120tsx out of the 7-08 is one hell of a combo.
I'd just about give my left nut for a original TI in 7mm or .300 SAUM..

My semi custom M7 in 7mm SAUM weighs in at 6-12 unloaded, and it is a snappy little rig, but an absolute killer.
Calvin,

I'd use TSX, Accubonds or Partitions. Right now I have trouble locating any of these bullets for the .260 in BC. I bought the only box of Accubonds I could find and luckily they shoot well. I haven't looked at the local selection for the 7mm but assume I could get something that would have a decent BC and stay together if one shot a larger animal than a sheep.

Kurt
I just picked up a 1st Gen Ti in .308 Winchester

(see more in the Hunting Rifles forum)

Rancho Loco, I'm not 100% sure it can be done, but would you rechamber it to the SAUM?

I'd leave it as is.. A .308 TI is going to be a killer.
If it were me I would go with the 7-08 and a 140gr AB or NP and call it good. Varget is a great place to start as well. I love my 06 and it likes about any load you put in it. For a light rifle the recoil is mild.
I have a 1st Gen 7saum. I did change the stock and went with a BDL to hold an extra round in the belly with a Wyatt mag box. Great gun. Recoil is not bad at all but it does weigh more than a 7-08, almost a pound more. Since I don't have to carry it up a mountain it's perfect for me.
Originally Posted by DP4
Wow, that's a significant difference. Remington suffers from self sabotage.

Remington's marketing department couldn't sell a bucket of water to a man whose pants were on fire.

They'd freeze it first for better sectional density.
and then there is the 84m kimber montana....
Think an action manufacturer could make some $$ if they offered a Titanium Rem clone action and kept the price under six Benjamins?

Or how how about a Win 70 clone action in titanium for $600?

MtnHtr
Titanium is expensive stuff, and more importantly, machines much differently than steel.

Obviously doable but dunno if a small-batch builder could turn a profit at sux bills. Maybe!

How about a Kimber Montana Ti? That'd be cool.
I was told by a gunsmith that Remington did not even make the TI action. Has anyone heard this too?
Smith & Wesson

MtnHtr
That is what I was told...thanks for confirming.
The biggest question I have is when and where is your sheep hunt, to heck with the gun gack...grin

Dober
Originally Posted by coues32
What is the difference between the two?

About one pound of dead weight...
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
Think an action manufacturer could make some $$ if they offered a Titanium Rem clone action and kept the price under six Benjamins?

Or how how about a Win 70 clone action in titanium for $600?

MtnHtr

X-Treme Shooting is bringing out a Titanium Rem clone...but it will be $1350.

They claim to be the only manufacturer of Titanium receivers in the US. I was under the impression they could have been making the actions for Remington, although I believe the first ones were made by Prairie Gun Works in Canada.
Originally Posted by djpepper

$1350? Sheesh I'd rebarrel a Montana and grin while the montucky boys weep!

MtnHtr

MtnHtr

A new Montana and a rebarrel for $1350.00?
Please explain...
Gotta remember, the US boys aren't paying a 50% markup like we are....I did buy a used 84M Classic for about $800 once...but that was a fricking miracle.
Originally Posted by Nrut

MtnHtr

Please explain...

Where did I post a new Montana and rebarrel for $1350?

Hint - you're not comparing apples to apples........

MtnHtr

MtnHtr

Please explain...

Where did I post a new Montana and rebarrel for $1350?

Hint - you're not comparing apples to apples........

MtnHtr

That's what I figured... whistle
Okay I'll bite. whistle

For $1350 you get an Extreme Ti action period and hopefully thats for a complete action. One still has to purchase a stock and have a new tube screwed on. Add about $1000 for a good stock and new tube installed. So now its up to around $2350 for a complete rifle.

For $1100 one can pickup a Montana. For another $500-600 one can have a complete custom rifle (The Montana's are a little barrel lite for my tastes so I would rebarrel). I would also repaint the Montana stock with Polane T and coat the action in KG GunKote for slickness. Total would be around $1700, maybe less if one trips the take-off barrel.

Savvy?

MtnHtr
Dober,

Stone sheep in BC! I'm a resident here and can DIY with a general open season licence.

Note that I couldn't talk my buddy out of either of his NIB Gen 1 Ti's. He wants to loan me one, but they are new and I don't want to abuse one for two weeks in the high country. Looks like the Model Seven .260 will make the trip unless I come by the right Kimber Montana or Remington Ti before the end of July.

Kurt
MtnHtr,
My mistake as I figured that the X-treme price of $1350.00 was for a completed rifle..
$1350.00 for just the action is something that I wouldn't consider..
The going price for Montana 8400's up here is around $1350.00
A rebarrel would run around $750.00..
Thanks for your reply..
Kurt-you r a lucky dog, do you get out and hunt those buggers yearly? And, is there a wait period after you kill?

You are truly blessed to be able to do this.

Dober
Dober,

I took a job in BC in 2009 after 35 yrs of working and hunting in Colorado and many other great states in the USA. I've had 8 sheep tags in all, and managed to arrow two bighorns in Colorado and a desert sheep in Nevada on DIY hunts. Dalls in Alaska eluded me on one "cheap" guided hunt. Stone sheep were never on the menu...........until this year! After a year I became a resident of BC and can chase Stones in open units from August 1 to October 15. The limitations are how far I can backpack in with food and out with a sheep and vacation time away from work.

Kurt
Way 2 kool be sure to check in and let us know how it goes.

How'd you do on the desert?

Dober
MtnHtr,
My mistake as I figured that the X-treme price of $1350.00 was for a completed rifle..

Should have been more clear on that...I was using the post about Ti actions for $600, so my quote of $1350 was just for the action...but the action does include the bolt and recoil lug...but not the trigger or bottom metal.

There is no doubt they are expensive, but if you look at the glut of Rem 700 clones on the market at $1000 +/- $100, a Titanium one at $1350 isn't really out of line. Considering what the last Alaska Ti's were selling for...still not that crazy - especially when Remington was putting on a $50 trigger, $150 stock, and $50 barrel.

djpepper,
I'll probably just go the faux Ti route as I just can't get justify spending over $1500.00 on another rifle at my age..
I have a .270 orig. Ti now and it sure has spoiled me..
The model 7's restocked in a 20oz. Wildcat stock aren't bad either..
Dober,

I was very fortunate to bag a 10 year old desert sheep on day 8 of a potential 25 day hunt. He was broomed way back and a low scoring sheep...........but for a bowhunter a dream come true! I got him the last day my two buddies were in Nevada hunting with me so we got to enjoy the success together. Great memories from 20 years ago! I drew that tag in Nevada the first year I put in. Best lottery I could win, given I only play the license lottery.

Kurt
Yeepers that is some kind of cool stuff!

Dober
dug up a old thread, but informative !

Updates from last year's stone sheep hunt with the bow:
Two weeks of mostly rain, wind and fog with two sunny days. No rams died, but one was really lucky! He will be bigger this year.

I carried bear spray in the pack instead of the M7 .260. Didn't have to use it.

As per the light rifle, I have ended up with two Kimber Montanas. The 7-08 is shooting well, and the .338 Federal is coming along with load development. I will still chase stones and grizzlies with the Hoyt again this year. Challenging, and will be rewarding when it finally happens!
© 24hourcampfire