Home
Posted By: CUTNHARE lightweight tarp shelter - 03/27/11
who uses one instead of a tent ? who makes a good lightwight tarp ? any pics of one set up ?
Posted By: RAGHORNY Re: lightweight trap shelter - 03/27/11
Please excuse my ignorance... But what is a "trap shelter"??? Did you mean tarp shelter???
Posted By: migolito Re: lightweight trap shelter - 03/28/11
Buy a couple of yards of Silnylon and make a custom tarp shelter. Extremely easy to do.
Posted By: B_Lance Re: lightweight trap shelter - 03/28/11
Plenty to choose from [though I too like the make it yourself answer]

Some sources; Kifaru, Mtn Laurel, GoLite, Henry Shires, Campmoor, Campsaver, Backpacking light, the list goes on and on and on....
Originally Posted by migolito
Buy a couple of yards of Silnylon and make a custom tarp shelter. Extremely easy to do.

Any ideas that you would like to pass along? Few pics, maybe?
Posted By: smokepole Re: lightweight trap shelter - 03/28/11
http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=727
Posted By: MarkG Re: lightweight trap shelter - 03/28/11
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___20069

Also do a Search of Woodswalkers posts.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: lightweight trap shelter - 03/28/11
You may want to take a look at the Kifaru Paratarp or Supertarp. They are a bit more expensive than some tarp structures but, you can also buy other accessories that make them a 4-season structure i.e. annex and parastove. I don't own one but they sure look versatile. They have several pictures and even a setup video on their website.
I started with the Kifaru tarps. Now I use the Integral Designs Sil tarp 2. I can pitch it just like the Kifaru super tarp on the ground, plus it makes better a-frame and overhead pitches for an whole lot less coin.

Whatever you get I would suggest an 8x10' or larger size depemdant on your application.

Lastly remember that these are simple pieces of material that have guyout points sewed onto them. Paying over $150 for any tarp is just too expensive.

A small saw can open a whole world of tarp tents. 2 uprights and a ridge pole will give you lots of headroom and other variations.
Posted By: allheart Re: lightweight trap shelter - 03/28/11
I purchased the cheapest silnylon tarp I could find and I'm pretty happy with it. MEC scout tarp, 7'x9.5' , 16 oz, $60. It works great as a one person shelter, ok as a two person and excellent as a awning for my golite hex 3.

Posted By: ol_mike Re: lightweight trap shelter - 03/29/11
Give Equinox brand a look ,i have an 8x10' and have used it many times and in some rough conditions ,still looks new.
Also have their poncho/tarp ,it saved me this past hunting season -rain rain and more rain until everything was soaked -the henry shires contrail was a mess -and the Equinox poncho/tarp pulled me through .
Made in the U.S.A. -something very important to me !
For ideas on how you might want to set it up just do a youtube search on "tarp shelter" and you'll find a bunch of videos. Some good, some look like they would get you wet - maybe even swimming in a puddle. You'll figure it out.
Posted By: Powerguy Re: lightweight tarp shelter - 03/30/11
Here is a link to the Hille tarp that I run

http://www.moontrail.com/tents/hilleberg_tarp10.php
Posted By: OutdoorAg Re: lightweight tarp shelter - 03/30/11
Would yall classify the GoLite Shangri-La's as tarp tents? I know they are tipis, but...
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Give Equinox brand a look ,i have an 8x10' and have used it many times and in some rough conditions ,still looks new.
Also have their poncho/tarp ,it saved me this past hunting season -rain rain and more rain until everything was soaked -the henry shires contrail was a mess -and the Equinox poncho/tarp pulled me through .
Made in the U.S.A. -something very important to me !

BIG +1 and normally I don't like tarps using grommets but mine has held up for years.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire