Home
Posted By: kahunter Waist-mounted light? - 10/12/11
This might be more of a trail running question, but it would be useful for backpacking as well. Does anyone know of or use a light or a system where a nice, bright light can be mounted on the waist belt?

I have found from trail running at night that a flashlight held at waist level shows up the trail much better than a headlamp because of the lower angle, although using both together works great. However, I hate carrying the flashlight and would like to find a way to mount it on my belt. I think it would work really well with a pack too for the times you need to be in rough country in the dark.
Posted By: Ed_T Re: Waist-mounted light? - 10/12/11
The easiest way is to use a Petzl Tikka 2 or Zipka 2 headlamp with the Adapat a Tikka mounting system:
http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/headlamps/tikka-zipka-tactikka-accessories-0/adapt-tikka-family

I have used this for several years and really like being able to switch from waist mount to head strap mount to helmet mount.

I agree that waist mounting is better as it allows a better degree of night visin by removing trhe light source so close to the eyes. Only problem is when you turn your head to look at something, everything stays dark unless you turn your body too smile
Posted By: kahunter Re: Waist-mounted light? - 10/12/11
I saw that adaptec system. I might have to check it out.
Posted By: jigman222 Re: Waist-mounted light? - 10/13/11
The waist/chest light thing never really turned my crank enough to give it a go. Maybe I'm missing out on something but I don't feel like it. For trail running I go with the Black Diamond Icon and love it. It throws a big wide beam that really makes running easy. Backpacking I have been using the Petzl Zipka since it is so tiny. I keep a surefire handheld in the waist pocket of my pack in case I need more light.

A pic of me rolling with the BD Icon at Wasatch.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: deflave Re: Waist-mounted light? - 10/13/11
So a waist mounted light is primarily for trail runs correct?

I've never used one. I can see them being great for running though.

Travis
© 24hourcampfire