Home
I'm looking to upgrade my Elk hunting rifle. I do a backpack hunt every year and have been using an older model M70. I'd like to upgrade to something nicer and in a synthetic/stainless combination. My question is what brand would be a good choice? I like the reviews I've seen of the Kimber Montanna and the Model 70 in synthetic might also be a good choice. Any suggestions? And caliber reccomendation? I'd like to hunt Elk and Deer with this rifle. Currently I'm using a 30.06 but would like to consider other calibers like the .300 WM.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I'd get a light Kimber MT... 84M 308 Win, or 84L 270/30-06... they all work.
Brad,

So no need to step into a magnum? I've never owned or shot one so I tend to agree. What is the difference between a 84L and a 84M? Anything to look for when buying a new Kimber? I've seen some mixed reviews..........some bad out of the box and some good..........and one last thing scope?

Thanks!!
Though I've used various magnums, I've never found I needed them and over the years have drifted back to the "standard" cartridges I started with.

For backpacking, "light is right" and I doubt you can do better than the Kimber Montana for the price. Put a 6x36 (KISS) Leupold (I prefer dots in my scopes) on top in Talley Lwt Low mounts. Add a Butler Creek Mountain Sling and that's about all you need to know for a non-custom BP rifle.

I'm not a believer in the idea of "best" anything, but the Kimber works for me... and yeah, I've had more than a few.
Hard to beat a 30-06.

Any of the Remington Mtn rifles in a Ti or Edge stock will do the trick and will come in just a little heavier than a Montana. I've got a 700 SS Mtn rifle in an Edge stock in 30-06 that weighs 6lb 13ozs with 3.5-10x40 Leupy. Depending on budget those two are probably your best bets under $1000. I've got a NULA but you are talking more money there. Rifles Inc and a few other make lightweight rigs too.

No need for a Magnum but if you do, one of the 300 wsm/saum or 7mm wsm/saum would be a good bet. A 30-06 will kill anything you need though short of big bears (and it has done that too). A 300 WM or a 7mag will certainly be nice but not needed and come at the expense of recoil and powder.
I'm running a 1st generation Remington 700 Ti in 7-08. Would just assume have a Kimber Montana, but the Remington came at the right price and I don't see it not working anytime soon.
Choose a short-barreled, lightweight, short-cartridge rifle (Or lever or single-shot). The ammo load will also be lighter.
My personal favorite is a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM. I put a Kahles 3-9x42 scope on it and you could take it anyplace in just about any conditions.

I agree that you don't necessarily NEED a magnum, but I prefer it that way. If you go the 300 route, the WSM is probably a better choice for back pack hunting than the long action 300 win mag. It will be shorter and lighter.

donsm70
My personal favorite is a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM. I put a Kahles 3-9x42 scope on it and you could take it anyplace in just about any conditions.

I agree that you don't necessarily NEED a magnum, but I prefer it that way. If you go the 300 route, the WSM is probably a better choice for back pack hunting than the long action 300 win mag. It will be shorter and lighter.

donsm70
I won't say what is best, but totally agree with Brad on 308 or 06. Mine is an original Ti and can't see any canges anytime soon.
I'd have you think about do you want light weight and a light tube, or would you prefer pretty darn light and some weight forward to the tube.

Personally I like some weight forward to it and am not a fan of skinny tubes (or skinny ski's).

Point being, if light and skinny is fine then take a close look at a Montana.

Now if you wish for a bit more weight forward I'd go M70 (cal of choice, Talley's, 6x36 Leo w/dotz, and a Hunters Edge. Mines in a 300 WSM and it's a total rock star.

[Linked Image]

Dober
There's a Montana in .300WM in the Classifieds, right now.
I think that in terms of availability, price and what you get for the price, the Montanas are hard to beat.

I have 2 right now, a .243 and a .308.

Another that I really like is my Tika T3 Lite S.S. in.30-06. A very good shooter, out of the box.

It has the appeal of a 2x4, but it works.
Save $$ and pick up a Tikka super light fluted barrel T3 30-06 from Bass Pro at 5.8 lbs and only $598 add Talley's light weights $40 and a Leupold Fx-II 6x36 LR $300. the whole package is under 7lbs and under a grand!
Originally Posted by pal
Choose a short-barreled, lightweight, short-cartridge rifle (Or lever or single-shot). The ammo load will also be lighter.

I used my Savage scout for backpacking this year. In 308 it is enough for elk, and the ammo is lighter than other choices.

If you are willing to use a single shot, and reload, you can build some very light rifles on T/C Contender actions. I have a .358 ALPO that weights under 3 pounds with scope. And, none of the components is exotic except the custom barrel. Leupold scope, Choate stock, and a Dave White http://www.dandtcustomgunworks.com/ barrel with an aluminum muzzle brake. Power level is similar to a 356 Winchester, but you can use pointy bullets, I use 225 grain Noslers.

I used the Savage this year because I moved and did not have enough 358 ALPO ammo, but the rain is starting so I should get some reloading done this winter.
Kimber Montana's 84L or 84M, Weatherby Ultralights in standard calibers (six lug action), the Faux Rem. 700 TI's, TI's, NULA rifles, Tikka Superlights all should do the trick in a light rifle. Of course you can run a tad heavier and put a standard rifle in a McMillan Edge.
Get a tikka in 280 if you can find it,it will likely shoot circles around the montanas remingtons and winchester mentioned
From what I have seen of some Tikka's and the only Kimber I have shot, I bet the Tikka would shoot circles inside, not around, the Kimbers, Remingtons, and Winchesters.
My Model 7 is my go to for backpack hunting, .260 Remington, leupy 2.5-8 x 36 and shoots like a charm with 100's and 120 grain bullets. Going to get it set up with 140's here soon for elk.
will ditto others Kimber montana is the best bang for the buck via a factory gun. heck they give customs a run for the money.

deep down i'm a rem 700 fan.

currently there are 2 rem 700 280's on gun broker.

where it me i would buy a rem 700 280 and drop it in a mcm edge classic

if you want to save a few more oz, get a rem 700 280 mtn rifle and drop that in a edge mcm mtn rifle stock

either of those would work fine, shoot it as is then later rebarrel, lots of options, 25-06ai, 280ai, 284, 6.5-284, 270, 30-06

I'm in the process of building a similar rifle now

rem 700 l.a. #3 rock, edge classic, still waiting on the barrel but here is the factory barreled action dropped in the stock.

[Linked Image]
I picked up the Gander Mountain edition of the Rem 700 in 7mm-08. The gun is identical to the original TI version but with a SS action, 3.5x10-40 in Talleys with a full belly under 7lbs. With the proper bullet, sensible distance and shot angle, it will do the trick. (Available in .308 too)
All you Kimber Montana fans, I have THE 84M caliber, the 7/08, handles like a dream, wonderful trigger, hardly a scratch on it. It can be YOURS for a grand shipped to your FFL. Only problem is you'll get to figure out why it won't shoot.

My advice? 700 Mt Rifle/Faux Ti B&C stock. It you can't get it to shoot, then true it and rebarrel, then you'll KNOW it'll shoot, if you can shoot.
For the weight, durability, and accuracy a TIKKA in .308 or .270 would be my choice.
For elk, .325 WSM in a Kimber or Ti Browning.

I've got a Kimber Montana .308. I'd hunt elk with it but I wouldn't have selected it if the main job had been elk. My gun isn't very accurate when loaded near max. If I load it for accuracy, I basically have a light weight .300 Savage. Makes deer inside 250 yards very very dead but I'd like a little more "snot" for elk or if the range begins to stretch for deer.

Tom
I have a Tikka 30-06 and it's served well. The wide just got a Tikka 270
Wide?
Freud?
Well, I've seen her, and she ain't wide...
That would be a typo , D and F are next to each other smile
i will spin barrels onto my rem ti till i can screw no more....and then likely one or two more.
What does the end of that Ti 700 action look like? Is turned smooth or does it look like it was chop-sawed like most 700's?
I prefer Model Seven stainless myself, for lightweight, in a good custom stock like Mickey or Brown.

But I do agree with Dober, if there be any way to carry it, a bit more weight in the tube is nice. I prefer the Seven XCR and the SAUM tube. However, I like a 20" for carry so would cut the SAUM tube down by 2".

To me, the Seven XCR (in 308 if you can find one) bedded in a Brown stock is about as useful as it gets.
I had both the Kimber Montana and the Tikka t3 .270. The Montana went down the road and the Tikka is the go to rifle for anything I hunt. My Montana was finicky mechanically but once it was figured out it shot submoa but my field accuracy suffered. The Tikka shot slightly smaller groups on paper but was much easier to hit with in field positions for me. Like Dober and others I prefer just a little bit more meat on the barrel than the Montana contour.
I had a Seven XCR in .308 and it didn't shoot worth a [bleep]. It came in the middle of a run of real lemons I got from Remington. It was probably one of the last Seven XCRs to leave the shop. It was supposed to be a 7mm-08. By the time it arrived at my dealer so we found out the wholesaler sent the wrong gun, they had no more Seven XCRs at all and said Remington would not be sending any more. frown I tried to make the best of it ...

Tom
Best gun? A rifle that will go around 7lb with scope. Stainless action and barrel. 22" barrel. Good trigger. A stock that can take a beating and not look like crap is nice too. A backpack hunt is about 99% sweat and 1% pulling the trigger. Hard to get too romantic about a specific make/model.

Caliber? If you reload, go crazy. If you don't, go with a 30-06.
Thread closed. smile
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I had a Seven XCR in .308 and it didn't shoot worth a [bleep]. It came in the middle of a run of real lemons I got from Remington. It was probably one of the last Seven XCRs to leave the shop. It was supposed to be a 7mm-08. By the time it arrived at my dealer so we found out the wholesaler sent the wrong gun, they had no more Seven XCRs at all and said Remington would not be sending any more. frown I tried to make the best of it ...

Tom

Still for sale?
I have spent plenty of time backpacking a custom 30-06 that weighs 7.8lbs. I would not want a lighter rifle. The weight of the rifle makes it easier for me to hold steady. I find that ultra lightweight rifles are difficult to shoot at long ranges.
The 30-06 will kill the snot out of anything that walks the earth in North America. Mine with handloaded 168TTSX have taken 4 anamals this fall; Dall Sheep, Caribou, AK/Yukon Moose, & Mule Deer.
My main backpack rifle is a Rem SS Mtn rifle in 30-06 that weighs 6lb. 4 oz. empty w/out scope. Never weighed it full up. I'd prefer lighter.

Years ago I designed and never built my concept of a back pack rifle: Short action for weight saving, 7mm to .30 cal (probably would go .308 to bore out the barrel for less weight and larger bullets with more oomph.) Bolt action bullpup, with an overall length that would go inside my backpack.

That rifle would be small and compact to carry and slow to cyle, essentially a fast reloading single shot. Short, light, handy.

While it is true that heavy rifles are easier to aim steady, I'll opt for light carry and try for close shots or a natural rest, as I do already.

Of course, last weekend I had to stand tall and shoot at a small piece of a buck offhand at 170 yards as my only option with no rest possible. laugh Tight sling and got the job done.

Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Still for sale?

Sold 3-4 (?) years ago.

Tom
Winchester M-70 FWT 280 Remington, Zeiss 3x9 with B & C Metalist stock. Thats the ticket.
I was skeptical about the Montana but got the itch and tried one. All other rifles now sit in the safe when it comes time to hunt. Handles and shoots like a dream. Mine's an 84m and weighs just a tick over 6lb. That includes scope, sling and 4 rounds of ammo. Shoots 180/185s at mid-2700s to 2800. Playing with another load using 160s at ~3000 fps. I anticipate that will kill anything I intend to hunt, and it would take a lot of coin to get a lighter rifle. If I switch to a 6x36 it will be under 6lbs full up ready to go.
Originally Posted by Tag
I'm looking to upgrade my Elk hunting rifle. I do a backpack hunt every year and have been using an older model M70. I'd like to upgrade to something nicer and in a synthetic/stainless combination. My question is what brand would be a good choice? I like the reviews I've seen of the Kimber Montanna and the Model 70 in synthetic might also be a good choice. Any suggestions? And caliber reccomendation? I'd like to hunt Elk and Deer with this rifle. Currently I'm using a 30.06 but would like to consider other calibers like the .300 WM.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

A Remington Model 700.
I have a stock Kimber Montana in .308 and with scope and rings its right at 96 oz. or 6 pounds.

I also have a Remington Model 7 in a McMillian Edge and even though there are 2" less barrel its right at 99-100 oz with a lighter scope and rings.

Bang for buck I'd go Kimber of Remington Model 7 but my dad gave me the model 7 14 years ago so I'd let the Kimber go over that rifle but only for sentimental value.
I built mine. Rem 660 with a 284 win light tube. Figure it'll take anything I need up to moose. Doesn't leave a lot of room for error in the larger animals but I'm ok with that. I just have to get close enough and pick my shots.
I'd try to get a Remington model 7 stainless/synthetic in 300 RSAUM or a mountain rifle LSS mountain rifle in 280 or 30-06 get rid of the laminated stock and drop it in a nice light weight synthetic stock
Blaser K95 single shot.
It is light, accurate and breaks down.
If you handload, in 7x57R. If you don't, then a 270.
© 24hourcampfire