Home
I've been considering picking up a Spindrift Jacket from Kuiu but having a tough time figuring out how warm it will or won't be. My experience with synthetics has been limited as I generally prefer down.

I know this is very subjective, but hoping some of you guys who have used one can give me some comparisons of its warmth. For instance how does it compare to 200 wt or 300 wt fleece? Or how does it compare in warmth to some of your down insulation layers?

Currently, for insulation layers I use a R2 fleece jacket from Patagonia, Mont-bell Ex Light Down Jacket and a WM Flight Jacket.
It is warmer than it has any right to be, for its weight/bulk. I use it as a mid layer, most recently in December moose hunting when we had temps down to -12, plus significant wind chill.

Typically, I would start off in merino base layers, the attack pants, and the guide jacket. (Sorry if that sounds like a Kuiu advertisement, but I bought the stuff, and I use it...). I like to start off a little cold, because I know that I typically warm up pretty quick while moving fast. I could work up a pretty good sweat snowshoeing through the trees following moose tracks if I wasn't careful. Then I'd break out into the open, get hit by the wind, and instantly be cold. That is when I would throw on the spindrift, underneath the guide jacket. It is thin enough to layer under a softshell or other windbreaker, which I love, and light/compact enough to always have with me, no matter how light I'm traveling. I layered up like that while glassing and watching moose several times, and could stay warm while stationary for a little while. Depending on the wind though, it may or may not be enough for extended glassing. I had a much bigger problem keeping my hands warm than anything.

I'd say it compares to 300wt fleece, maybe a little warmer. I have the Patagonia R2, and the spindrift is considerably warmer than that. Probably blocks a little more wind than most fleece, and is probably less "breathable" as well. If you have seen/used the Cabelas "insulator" jacket, I'd say it is pretty similar to that for warmth, but less bulky, and without a hood.

I'm also looking at the spindrift. If folks can also provide input on sizing, I'd appreciate it. I'm 6'1, 175, coat size 42, wondering if a L would work.

Thanks,
Eric
I'm 6' 1" or 6' 2", can't remember which anymore, and 170. I started with a medium and returned it for a large in both the spindrift and the guide jacket. I have no idea what my coat size is, but I'm thinking a large will work for you Eric.

Thanks, Cwh2. That's what I was looking for!

Cheers,
Eric
used the spindrift in the mtm's near yellowstune this fall, the warm to weight ratio is hard to beat, i am 5"8 185 and a large is good 4 me, at night i but the spindrift in a stuff sack and use as a pillow, would buy another in a flash!
Glad to help Eric.

Originally Posted by anie
would buy another in a flash!

Me too, which is kind of funny. The spindrift is the one piece of gear that I was not initially impressed with from my original Kuiu order. It seemed to thin to be effective, and I didn't like the lack of a drawstring at the waist for draft blocking. After using it through this year's very cold sheep season, then deer hunting in PWS, then winter moose, I'm sold. I don't think it will replace the DAS parka, but it excels as a mid layer.
Thanks cwh2, just the info I was looking for.
I like it. Great on the sheep backpack trip (used to augment a light sleeping bag on a cold night too. Fine as an under-layer on the whitetail stand too. Also nice as the outer-coat when I walk the Vizsla along the river on a cold and windy day. Good stuff for the light weight, easy packing layer that won't get wet like down here in BC.

It is warm, and packs very samll and very light.

It's always in my pack and use it mostly as an insulating mid layer over a merino base.

Warm and comfortable as a camp jacket, I've also used it on as extra insulation and cosiness in my sleeping bag in very cold weather.

I also feel L sixe should fit you.

BBerg
I like mine a lot. I used it a bunch this fall and took it on a Dall/Moose hunt in NWT. It performs very well for the weight and is a great piece of gear. I'm 6'1" 180 and wear a size 42L coat and the L fits me well.

Lee
cwh2, have u ever hunted sheep by healy, east of the park?
For anyone who had tried both:
Is the spindrift a heavier/warmer than the Mont Bell Thermawrap?
Originally Posted by Ebby
I like mine a lot. I used it a bunch this fall and took it on a Dall/Moose hunt in NWT. It performs very well for the weight and is a great piece of gear. I'm 6'1" 180 and wear a size 42L coat and the L fits me well.

Lee

Thanks for the sizing info, Lee. Looks like L is the way to go for me.

Cheers,
Eric
Originally Posted by anie
cwh2, have u ever hunted sheep by healy, east of the park?

Nope. I've seen them there, and have made a scouting trip in there to see if we could find a legal ram, but didn't. Have done some moose hunting up there though.
Chris,

What size did you go with for your Chugach set? We're close to the same size and was curious if I went with a large, I'd have enough room to layer a bit, if needed?
I haven't sprung for a set of chugach stuff yet. Still on the fence there, but should probably bite the bullet.

I did size large on the guide jacket, and I can wear the spindrift under it with no problem. The attack pants were true to size for the waist, but I see the Chugach is S/M/L, not by waist size, so I'm not much help there...
Chugach in your normal size allow layering underneath with the Spindrift . The guide jacket seemed to run slightly smaller than normal.

The Chugach is just outstanding rain gear and makes a superb windbreaker shell as well. I wear an XL jacket and L pants, just follow the sizing chart.
Anie,

The Spindrift as a pillow is a great idea. I'm sure it's what your doing, but just in case you haven't watched their video, the Spindrift stuffs into it's own pocket and then zips up to make a great built in stuff sack. It's not major compressed, but about perfect for a backpacking pillow.

LostArra,

I have the Thermawrap pants and the Spindrift jacket. They seem to be about the same thickness and the outer material is fairly similar, but I just get the feeling the KUIU is a little tougher. The Mont Bell is shiny black, and my Spindrift is camo, so maybe I just think it looks tougher. laugh Just got back from a Lion hunt in Utah where I fell in love with my Spindrift. I wore it under a Sitka Coldfront jacket for the four wheeler rides down to about 10 degrees and never got cold. It was really too warm for hiking and climbing, so I would just stuff it in my pack when we would take off. I don't think it would be warm enough for stand hunting in extreme cold without a lot of layering, but it is great for it's intended purpose. Stid2677 over on the Kifaru forum may post some here too, but he hunts with AlaskaLanche a lot and he has some great comments and experience with the Spindrift as well as the Sitka Kelvin. Not sure if he has ever used the ThermaWrap, but I know he says the Kelvin is warmer than the Spindrift, but a little heavier and bulkier. I bought the ThermaWrap pants as a layer for my Dall Sheep hunt in the Brooks in 2010, and carried them in my pack on this Lion hunt too, but have never even put them on, in the field, so I have no real experience on their performance.

This is my first post here, but have been lurking and learning for a while, not trying to come across as a know it all, so please forgive me starting off this way!

Richard
Definitely won't be disappointed. It is a must have piece of gear.
Having owned a Thermawrap jacket and held 3 different Kuiu spindrift, I'd say they are very similar. The Kuiu's outershell is a tad tougher "feeling" but unsure on that. They seem to have identical amounts of insulation.

For me they are too light for what I look for in a puffy coat. They just aren't as warm as what I was looking for in my insulation layer. While not as light I prefer my integral designs Rundle over either of those, which is why I sent my MB thermawrap down the trail and didn't pick up the Kuiu Spindrift after seeing some friends in person.

Now KuIu's rain gear on the other hand......awesome!!!
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
They seem to have identical amounts of insulation.

They are both 80g/m^2. In terms of fabric thickness, the Spindrift is 40d and the Thermawrap is 30d.
well that would explain my perceptions after looking them both over wink
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

Now KuIu's rain gear on the other hand......awesome!!!

What can you tell me about the rain gear? I'm too cheap to be the first one to test it...
Well only used it for a couple rainy days in SE AK on a deer hunt down there. Super comfy, and keeps my dry. So far so good. More testing is certainly needed before I can say for sure its truly amazing I guess. I really dig the eVent stuff from Integral designs, but with the discounted price last november for the Kuiu stuff I jumped in.
The KUIU rain gear is awesome. Several threads on it in here and I've posted multiple times. I love mine. I've put it to the test several times and it keeps me very dry and breathes really well too.

Lee
My wallet is burning!
Chugach rain gear is awesome. Driest raingear I have ever worn by far.

Every piece of Kuiu gear I have has performed better than any other gear I have. Cheaper than Sitka and performs better. Gave my Sitka to my brother.
Originally Posted by cwh2
My wallet is burning!

Mine has been. Hoping they will get them in stock again soon. frown
I just got a email. They got a bunch of stock in and are expecting more weekly. My order from last week comes today. I can't wait.

Spindrift jacket
Guide jacket
Merino 250
Icon 3000 pack
Merino Beanie
Guide Beanie
Chugach pants.
Guide vest
Hoodie and t shirt.

Hope the rest comes in soon.
Hoping for the Attack pants in a tan/brown color. I don't dig the Vias camo, and the charcoal they offer is a little dark for open country.
I think they are getting some green in attack pants this spring or summer.
I posted up some Kuiu gear (med vest, large gloves) in the classifieds. Great gear, just needed different sizes.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...uiu_Guide_Gloves_and_Vest_FS#Post6129802
alaska lanche,

How does the breathability of the Kuiu rain gear compare to your ID eVent?
© 24hourcampfire