Home
Posted By: Ed_T HPG Tarahumara - 04/09/12
I was out for a couple long outtings with my HPG Tarahumara this past weekend and have to say, I am really blown away at how good it is.

I have owned scores of packs in the same size range as the Tara, some with hip/waist belts, some without. Some worked out OK, most were dreadfully uncomfortable. None of the previous packs with shoulder suspension only, could have been described as even remotely comfortable.

I had heard lots of good things about the HPG shoulder harness, and from looking at photos of it it showed promise.

When I put it on, I knew this was something much different from any of the small "hydration style" pack of my past. The Tarahumara fit amazingly well.

I had plenty of room in it for a wind shell, insulated vest, gloves, hat, 1st aid kit, emergency kit, knife and food with plenty of room to spare. Two, 1L bottles in the bottle pockets and a pair of Northern Lites snowshoes under the compression straps.

On my front side, in my HPG Runners Kit bag, I carried my .41 mag, Digital Camera, Leica, 8x20 binoculars, and compass.

The pack carried as though it were part of me, on the flats, climbing steep slopes and running hard down the snowfields.

Accessing the water bottles took me a brief moment to figure out, but once I learned to loosen the compression strap, I could easilly get the bottle out and back in.

Evan and Scot have a real winner with the Tarahumara, and I can't wait to get one of the new Highlander's from them. I think the Highlander will be an ideal fast & light overnight pack for me for three season use.
Posted By: Big_W Re: HPG Tarahumara - 04/09/12
The Tara is a great little pack, I have found it to be perfect for mtn biking also. The Tara and Kit bag make a nice "light and fast" style day pack setup. Everybody I have had try on and use the Tara say they love it, even people who hate wearing packs.

I will be getting a Highlander soon but plan to do a few mods to it. I already have the prototype compression panel (which will be getting a g-hook makeover) so the Highlander will probably be just used as a day pack only. I want to add a frame sheet in the rear slot pocket and then sew a simple waist belt on it. I may not do that though, it might be fine as is.
Posted By: Kevin_T Re: HPG Tarahumara - 04/09/12
The Tara is super nice and my go to daypack
Posted By: huskyrunner Re: HPG Tarahumara - 04/09/12
Cool. I was worried about the no-waistbelt thing. Any of you guys who own one, do you see any good way to carry an avy shovel on the outside? If not, I suppose I could just add a flap. TIA.
Posted By: evanhill Re: HPG Tarahumara - 04/09/12
Thanks Ed! Here's how I stow a shovel on the Tara:

[Linked Image]

eta: Funny side note - when I first started building stuff, one of my design points was where the pictured shovel (voila telepro) would fit. It has a wider blade than most snow shovels. I try to standardize on dimensions where possible for interchangeability, so the width of that shovel blade has found it's way into a lot of different things.
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: HPG Tarahumara - 04/09/12
I've got one of the hpg bags on my short list. The shoulder harness reminds me so much of the harness off my old biathlon rifle. That alone makes me want one.
Posted By: huskyrunner Re: HPG Tarahumara - 04/09/12
That shovel does look like it fits that spot really well. It is birthday season here at our house. I'll have to order a couple to go with our kit bags.
Posted By: Ed_T Re: HPG Tarahumara - 04/10/12
A few thinks I didn't mention on the Tarahumara. The narrow profile, even with water bottles allows a complete are swing for running of poling when skiing.

Wes mentioned how good it is for mountain biking and that thought struck me right away. A waist belt is a pain in the ass on a bike, IMO and the Tara's shoulder harness keeps the pack so well centered.

This or the Highlander will also be ideal for use with a pulk. I'll just use my Granite Gear hip belt with pals webbing for the pulk and the pack will ride above it.

Really great design. Very basic layout without so many pockets and straps that you forget what got put where.
Posted By: Ridgernr Re: HPG Tarahumara - 04/10/12
ED How is sweat management with the pack panel?
Posted By: Ed_T Re: HPG Tarahumara - 04/10/12
Originally Posted by Ridgernr
ED How is sweat management with the pack panel?

Derrick,

I really don't see any difference between the Tara back panel and one of the "air mesh" "evaporaid" etc back panels. I sweat a lot and I am going to be wet where a pack contacts my back regardless of what it is made of.
Posted By: wvtradbow Re: HPG Tarahumara - 04/10/12
Santa brought me a Tarahumara and a kit bag,I love them..Really been thinking about the new compression/mating system but not sure how it'll work with the Kuiu pack,cause it's definitly going to Co. chasing elk with me one way or another...
Posted By: HFlier Re: HPG Tarahumara - 04/12/12
I just ordered one of these. Will the side pockets accept a miltary style canteen?
Posted By: evanhill Re: HPG Tarahumara - 04/12/12
GI 1qt canteens were specifically what I had in mind when I designed it. They tuck right into the side pockets. You can even wedge the canteen cup in the bottom, but its tight.
Posted By: HFlier Re: HPG Tarahumara - 04/12/12
Thanks Evan. You guy's keep putting out the products. I love my Kit Bag! I am going to use the Kit Bag / Tarahumara combo as my get home/crap hit the fan set-up.
Posted By: kenaiking Re: HPG Tarahumara - 04/13/12
Got to give my Tara a little workout today. I was amazed by how well it hugs your back. The harness system is very well thought out and designed. It amazing how much stuff you can really get in that little pack!

[Linked Image]

Posted By: smokepole Re: HPG Tarahumara - 04/13/12
You guys are costin' me money!!!

Seriously though, ordered one this AM and got the notice that it'd shipped before noon, that's what I call customer service.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: HPG Tarahumara - 04/13/12

Evan:

I just recently bought a standard Kit Bag, which I like a great deal.

The Tara looks like it would pair with it pretty well.

- Tom
Posted By: Ed_T Re: HPG Tarahumara - 04/18/12
The Tara continues to amaze me. This past weekend, I carried a pair of Hok 125 cm skis on the Tara and they carried as well as any dedicated ski pack. Longer skis probably wouldn't stabilize as well but, I thought this was pretty impressive.

My HPG Highlander showed up yesterday and I can't wait to get it out.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ChadR Re: HPG Tarahumara - 05/10/12
Can the Tarahumara be mounted to the back of a Kifaru KU5200 in a similar fashion to the way an E&E attaches?

I�m looking for a small pack that can hold items such as rain gear for easy access and can be quickly detached for use during a stalk.
Posted By: lawnman Re: HPG Tarahumara - 05/10/12
Evanhill, I do like the looks of the Tara! I have been thinking about getting a new pack for the upcoming season. When reading a little about it on the website it looks like it does not have any internal pockets inside of the main compartment. True? What would be the design feature of that and how would you recommend carrying small items that you might have to get to easily, batteries,lighter,energy bar, etc? Thanks
Posted By: evanhill Re: HPG Tarahumara - 05/10/12
I don't know the KU5200 that well, but there is a lot of modularity to how you can attach a Tara.

There are no internal pockets. I try not to go overboard with complexity. I carry all of the little stuff you are talking about in my Kit Bag. You can get to whatever you want without breaking stride that way. I do have a ziplock with a couple of smaller things that lives in my Tara, but they aren't things I need to get to very often if ever.
Posted By: CCH Re: HPG Tarahumara - 05/10/12
Ditto on the kit bag for the little stuff. Nothing is handier than having it right there on your chest. Water and rain gear and whatever other bulky items required for the day ride in the Tara, while the Kit Bag carries the little necessities including handgun. Excellent system IMO.

If you must organize the Tara, you can use a 'biner to hang a stuff sack from the loop at the top of the bag. Works good enough for me.
© 24hourcampfire