Home
Posted By: anw0625 Hunting Pants - 05/02/12
What are you favorite and most durable hunting pants?
Posted By: sawtoothsteve Re: Hunting Pants - 05/02/12
hunted in Kuiu's last year and loved them.
Posted By: SnowyMountaineer Re: Hunting Pants - 05/02/12
Mammut Champs, NW Alpine Fast/Light, and OR Exos have probably been my favorites. The Fast/Light's are proving to be the most durable I've had.
Posted By: yukonphil Re: Hunting Pants - 05/02/12
cabelas microtex.
Posted By: bobmn Re: Hunting Pants - 05/02/12
Arborwear Tech pants in color forest green or driftwood
Posted By: redfoxx Re: Hunting Pants - 05/02/12
Sitka Mountain pants, the originals, bought new in 2007 in the MM1.0 pattern. They are tough, I've had to patch and sew in a few places but they are still my go-to's for backcountry early season hunting. With a good merino wool base layer they are good through mid-season, and with a Gore-tex shell over the top of that they can take me through late rifle season most days if I'm staying active...
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Hunting Pants - 05/02/12
I'll 2nd the Sitka Mtn pants and throw the Core 4 Element pants in with them. I also prefer the 90% pants when it's a bit cooler outside, along with the suspenders.

For colder weather hunting I like the Sporthill pants, they are non-restricting, will not soak through when walking in snow and are very warm.
Posted By: Big_W Re: Hunting Pants - 05/02/12
BDU's, Cabelas Microtex, Good ol' wool, Craghoppers combat trousers(favs), Cabelas Mt050(heavy, for base camp). They all works great for me depending on weather and how light I want to go.
Posted By: pka45 Re: Hunting Pants - 05/02/12
If you're looking for a cheap, ultralight stretchy pant that is water and wind resistant, and aren't concerned about camouflage, check out Target's Champion C9 Golf Pant, for $30. Durability is good so far, but they certainly wouldn't be for briar-busting. I absolutely love mine!
Posted By: Wrongside Re: Hunting Pants - 05/02/12
I've been hunting/hiking in KUIU Attack Pants for the last month and a bit. The fit, comfort and fabric performance has been great. All except durability, the jury is definitely still out there, as they are showing a fair bit of wear already.
Posted By: acesandeights Re: Hunting Pants - 05/02/12
Carhartt with Filson tin chaps for cool(ish) hunting, and Filson wool bibs for colder weather hunting. I typically only hunt when it�s cool(ish) or cold outside. I would also consider Filson whipcord pants and tin chaps.
Posted By: HatchieDawg Re: Hunting Pants - 05/02/12
Like my microtex
Posted By: Washburn Re: Hunting Pants - 05/03/12
Most durable to date has been wool pants, even the cheaper Codet stuff has held up well.

I am quickly becoming a fan of Cabelas Microtex though.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Hunting Pants - 05/03/12
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
Mammut Champs,

You rascal..... smile
Posted By: JRaw Re: Hunting Pants - 05/03/12
Patagonia Alpine Guide, Microtex, and Filson whipcords. I have both the regular microtex and a pair of "Alaska Guide" microtex, not the current version, that are regular microtex fabric with more of a BDU cut, and zippers instead of buttons.

I like them all, just depends on the usage.
Posted By: 338WIN Re: Hunting Pants - 05/03/12
I wore Northface and ExOfficio this year elk hunting. Wet and brushy. Both performed well. Not fragile. Dried quickly. At the end of the week I thought the ExOfficio's were better. I have some lightweight Columbia convertibles but just can't bring myself to wear them because I don't believe they will keep me warm. I used to only wear wool, but after a game warden told me over a cup of coffee that he had switched to the newer fabrics and wouldn't go back I tried the newer fabrics and I agree.
Posted By: Timberbuck Re: Hunting Pants - 05/03/12
Another vote for microtex.

Vary the base layers underneath for warmth or for later season I run the insulated version. Regardless I carry a set of lightweight rain pants to go over them if needed. (Browning Deluge).

I also like the Kings Outdoors pants, pro hunter. Not as good quality but usually can be had cheaper.
Posted By: Harvdog Re: Hunting Pants - 05/03/12
Cabelas Microtex
Posted By: snubbie Re: Hunting Pants - 05/03/12
I've used Cabelas Microtex.
Seem to be very durable and hold up well. I've been pleased with them but, admittedly, haven't tried much else so I really have no comparison.
I also don't experience the weather extremes here in the East that a lot of our Western counterparts experience. Rarely is there snow and sub-20� temps during hunting seasons and therefore the need for clothing built for extreme conditions isn't as necessary.

Currently I'm trying out some 5.11 Tactical BDU's that have lots of handy pockets for hunting, backpacking and hiking. Seem to be very durable.

edit: I wish the microtex was available in something other than camo only.
Posted By: GaryVA Re: Hunting Pants - 05/03/12
Upland hunting tends to be hardest on my hunting pants moreso than backpacking or general big game hunting. Not all upland pants are created equal; Filson oil finish tin pants are tough, whereas their shelter cloth is not so tough. The pants I've experienced that tend to fall on the tough end are Duluth firehose, Filson tin, Filson whipcord, USGI M-1951 whipcord and the likes. Of these, the most appropriate for backpacking are the Filson whipcord and the USGI M-1951 whipcord. If I don't need very tough pants, something along the lines of Microtex or most any type of backpacking pant would do. But I'd shred these later backpack pants in short order compared to something like Duluth firehose if I needed tough pants. With backpacking it's a compromise to shed weight. I favor a good pair of whipcords as you can live out of them through a broad range of conditions cold to hot, yet they breathe and tend not to hold funk.

Best smile
Posted By: tt35 Re: Hunting Pants - 05/03/12
Another vote for the KUIU Attack pant.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Hunting Pants - 05/03/12
I have been using the German mil-surp gore-tex wet weather gear with the Flecktarn camo pattern for several years and am quite happy with it. You can usually buy the suit, jacket & pants, in "like new" condition for less than $50 from a variety of on-line sellers.

www.surplusplanet360.com has new/never issued pants in large for $20 or XL/XXL for $23.

Jeff
Posted By: OutdoorAg Re: Hunting Pants - 05/03/12
Tried a pair of Arborwear Tech pants, and haven't looked back. Love the weight, fit (like a BDU), and they don't soak up water easily.
Posted By: SKane Re: Hunting Pants - 05/03/12
Sporthill 3SP Utility or the 3SP XC.
Posted By: 338WIN Re: Hunting Pants - 05/03/12
260Remguy, do you wear those goretex german pants even when it is not raining?
Posted By: Vek Re: Hunting Pants - 05/03/12
Have yet to find the hunting or hiking pant in a 34" waist with enough butt and thigh to fit me. Then, you go to 36" waist and the only thing they made bigger was the waist, like a funnel. It's ridiculous.

So i find a 36" waist that fits my legs, and need a belt. Six belt loops aren't going to keep things from bunching up in between.

On the topic of belt loops - the only pant I've seen that did this right was Mountain Hardwear - the loops are single layer material and low profile. Sitka is a disaster in this regard - they have the most godawful thick foldover multilayer loop that looks like a bedsore waiting to happen if clamped under a waistbelt for a multi-day packout.

Mammut looks like they have the belt thing sorted out - others should take note.

Sporthill's most ordinary pants look like pajamas, but work great for cooler weather. They'd be too hot for mid august sheep.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Hunting Pants - 05/03/12
The Sitka pants are better if you wear them with suspenders, I tried using a belt and I didn't like they way they felt.
Posted By: SKane Re: Hunting Pants - 05/03/12
Originally Posted by Vek

Sporthill's most ordinary pants look like pajamas, but work great for cooler weather. They'd be too hot for mid august sheep.

That is very true.
Posted By: greentimber Re: Hunting Pants - 05/03/12
I've been extremely disappointed in how long it takes my Microtex Lite pants to dry. Really absurd compared to other synthetic materials.
Posted By: anw0625 Re: Hunting Pants - 05/04/12
Would you consider the mammut champs pants a softshell or hardshell pant?
Posted By: Ella Re: Hunting Pants - 05/04/12
Sporthills if it's cold/snowy. Nylon hiking pants if it's less cold--ex-officios or REI or something.

I had a pair of Cabela's thin nylon hiking pants with zip open mesh vents along the thighs that were the best hot weather hiking pants ever--but they quit making them some time back. My last pair finally wore out....

(For the briars, I've got a pair of nylon faced jeans that have held up for several years now, but they're heavy sobs.)

German army surplus goretex for the rain--they weigh nothing and work great.

Ella
Posted By: JOG Re: Hunting Pants - 05/04/12
Originally Posted by GaryVA
The pants I've experienced that tend to fall on the tough end are Duluth firehose, Filson tin, Filson whipcord, USGI M-1951 whipcord and the likes.

Duluth Trading offers a few versions of the firehose pants - the 'work pants' are guaranteed for life. No doubt those are tough bastids. I haven't taken the dare because the mid-weight firehose cargo pants are borderline too heavy and if anything I would try a lighter pair yet. I saw on their website they now have firehose upland pants with nylon facing - I might try those in the fall.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Hunting Pants - 05/04/12
US ARMY ECW Level 5 SOFT SHELL TROUSER WIND PANTS

like these

Posted By: GreBb Re: Hunting Pants - 05/04/12
My KUIU Attack pants are the best I have ever tried. They will not soak under a slight drizzle, and if they do they will dry out in a few minutes. They are light, very light, just like all KUIU stuff, and they are so comfortable to wear that its like wearing pijamas or wearing nothing.
Reasonably warm to be used in cold weather with some bottom underwear, and cool enough to use in not-too-warm weather, they are my go-to pants.
BBerg
Posted By: OutdoorAg Re: Hunting Pants - 05/04/12
KUIU Attack vs Arborwear Tech

Anyone own both and care to chime in?
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Hunting Pants - 05/04/12
Yes, I wear the pants as my primary outer layer, with polyprop long underwear and will add an intermediate layer of fleece if the weather is cold or I'm not moving. When I 1st wore them while stalking/still-hunting deer in thick brushy creekbottom ground, I was concerned that they would be noisy moving through the brush, a situation where wool is quiet, but they weren't. They have sort of a soft, textured, finish to the outer layer that is different from the Gen 1 & 2 US ECWCS.

Jeff
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Hunting Pants - 05/04/12
I'm in the BDU and Carhart camp. I just layer appropriately for the temp. If I'm not moving or still hunting in the cold I go with woolrich's.
Posted By: snubbie Re: Hunting Pants - 05/04/12
Well now y'all have me looking a Kuiu pants...man I gotta quit this site. Every few days it costs me more money!
Posted By: norcalblacktail Re: Hunting Pants - 05/04/12
Ive tried them all and the Kuiu Attack pants are the best there are. So comfy and very durable. Wearing them right now.
Posted By: Huntr Re: Hunting Pants - 05/04/12
Kuiu Attack pants are the finest pant I have ever owned.
Posted By: old_willys Re: Hunting Pants - 05/04/12
Originally Posted by yukonphil
cabelas microtex.

+1
Posted By: russ_outdoors Re: Hunting Pants - 05/05/12
I've been using Sitka Ascent and more recently the Kuiu Attack and have enjoyed both.

My completely un-scientific opinion is that the Ascents are a lighter pant and better for warm weather, while the Attacks a little more durable. Both are very comfortable and fit me well. The material on the Attack pants has a better DWR and I like the pockets more.

If I could only have one it would be the Attacks.

Posted By: snubbie Re: Hunting Pants - 05/07/12
Y'all got to stop with the raving about Kuiu's, I'm about ready to pull the trigger and order a pair.
Are they heavy? Maybe I should ask, are they for warm or cool weather? Very breathable?

And how do you pronounce that? Is it KEW-EE-YEW?
Posted By: superdave Re: Hunting Pants - 05/07/12
Carhartt moss green for the 80% of the time when I'm hunting and it's dry. When kind of wet, microtex. When really wet, HH Impertech.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Hunting Pants - 05/07/12
Originally Posted by David_Walter
US ARMY ECW Level 5 SOFT SHELL TROUSER WIND PANTS

like these

+1. I also like REI's Sahara pants for warmer weather.
Posted By: GreBb Re: Hunting Pants - 05/07/12
koo-you

they are superlight and perfect for all weather except the very cold or the very warm.

BBerg
Posted By: pointer Re: Hunting Pants - 05/07/12
Originally Posted by Ella
Sporthills if it's cold/snowy. Nylon hiking pants if it's less cold--ex-officios or REI or something.

I had a pair of Cabela's thin nylon hiking pants with zip open mesh vents along the thighs that were the best hot weather hiking pants ever--but they quit making them some time back. My last pair finally wore out....

(For the briars, I've got a pair of nylon faced jeans that have held up for several years now, but they're heavy sobs.)

German army surplus goretex for the rain--they weigh nothing and work great.

Ella
These might be similar to the discontinued Cabelas pants. I've not bought a pair, but have thought they'd be the berries for hot weather.

http://www.railriders.com/men-eco-mesh-pant-with-insect-shield-p-837.html?cPath=104_110
Posted By: PhilinAZ Re: Hunting Pants - 05/09/12
Columbia Omni-shield cargo's
Posted By: TakeEm Re: Hunting Pants - 05/09/12
Cabela's Microtex or Microtex Lite for warmer weather. I also have thier "Hunt Tech" warm weather gear, it works great but not sure on durability as I only wear it when it is downright hot out, which is not often.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Hunting Pants - 05/09/12
Originally Posted by Huntr
Kuiu Attack pants are the finest pant I have ever owned.

For those that have been using these, are their sizing pretty accurate or smaller-larger?? Seem to remember the first Sitka stuff ran way small. I'd like to give Attack a try but just wondering about their sizing??
Posted By: chinadill Re: Hunting Pants - 05/09/12
Mine were true to size. phil
Posted By: ShootOne Re: Hunting Pants - 05/09/12
my attack pants were true to size

my attack pants are more comfortable and roomy, length, thight and calve size wise than my sitka ascent pants

i have yet to find a better pant, i have tired a bunch, sitka, first lite, microtex, mtn hardware, etc

the attacks are the best i have worn, bought a brown pair for everyday wear

also look at the new guide pants, the perfect late season pants i do believe
Posted By: Michael_Tanner Re: Hunting Pants - 05/09/12
I have a number of pants for the outdoors, depending on use. For bird hunting, I love my Filson double tin chaps. the zippered bottom allows me to pull them over my boots at the end of a hunt.

For light outdoor hikes, or mushroom picking in the summer, Ex Officio.

For hiking in tougher terrain, or where I need something VERY dependable and super comfy, Kuiu's.

I'm with ShootOne... Iv'e tried a number of others, including Mountain Hardwear, but nothing comes close to the Kuiu. I hope to get the guide pants this winter.

Posted By: mtmiller Re: Hunting Pants - 05/10/12
Originally Posted by Michael_Tanner

I'm with ShootOne... Iv'e tried a number of others, including Mountain Hardwear, but nothing comes close to the Kuiu. I hope to get the guide pants this winter.

I have a couple Attack, love them. I thought about the Guide, but not sure if they will be that much better than where I am sitting. If you want to get the Guide pants, I would get on it soon.
Posted By: 22WRF Re: Hunting Pants - 05/12/12
I too like the Cabela's Microtex.

For a bit colder weather I like the lighter weight Filson wool pants.

And for real cold weather I like the heavier weight Filson wool pants.
Posted By: ehunter Re: Hunting Pants - 05/13/12
I have several Kuiu pairs and they are boot cut but you may have to hem them other than that they are the most comfortable pants I have ever worn including the Sitka pants. I am not buying the guide pants I wore the attack pant last fall in CO when it was down to 20 all I did was add wool long johns. I also wore them in 80 degree weather last fall bow hunting and they worked great.
Posted By: justseth Re: Hunting Pants - 06/04/12
I'm a fan of the Kuiu Attack pants. I hunted the mountains from mid-September through mid-December in them. Started out w/ just a pair of merino boxer shorts under them & at the end, had on the merino boxers and a pair of heavy weight merino long underwear. I was completely comfortable the entire season. I wore them in the 70-80 degree heat of September, through the rain & sleet of October and November and into 3+ feet of snow in December. Wouldn't have traded them for anything else.
Posted By: ken999 Re: Hunting Pants - 06/06/12
Another Microtex fan.

I do like the looks of these though...

http://www.firstlite.com/product_detail/295/kanab-lightweight-pant

Anyone have a pair? If so, how do you like them?
Posted By: snubbie Re: Hunting Pants - 06/06/12
I just received my Kuiu Attack pants. I was pretty much underwhelmed upon first inspection...don't really know what I was expecting though. I suppose they seemed almost fragile, I was expecting more a heavy duty look.

Anyway, I wore them around yesterday evening, out in the yard, grilling a steak, etc. I will agree they are VERY comfortable. I'm looking forward to using them in the woods.
Posted By: RedRabbit Re: Hunting Pants - 06/07/12
For those that like the KUIU pants, they have their solid color outerwear 25% off for a Fathers day sale.
Posted By: BlackDog1 Re: Hunting Pants - 06/08/12
Kuiu attack pants.... IMHO, you needn't shop any further.
Posted By: snubbie Re: Hunting Pants - 06/08/12
Originally Posted by RedRabbit
For those that like the KUIU pants, they have their solid color outerwear 25% off for a Fathers day sale.

Let's see. I buy an expensive piece of gear, Kuiu Attack pants, and one week later they go on sale for $38 dollars less that what I paid last week...yep, that's about right.
Posted By: mitchellmountain Re: Hunting Pants - 06/08/12
All this reading got me to buy a pair of Microtex pants from cabelas, wife said it was my early father's day present. I've got a long inseam(36) so the unfinished hem will be perfect, I never can get hunting pants long enough. I got the outfitters camo and almost pulled the trigger on the microtex jacket and then opted for the outfitters fleece with wind shear. We'll see how it works I guess.

MM
Posted By: BlackDog1 Re: Hunting Pants - 06/08/12
Originally Posted by snubbie

Let's see. I buy an expensive piece of gear, Kuiu Attack pants, and one week later they go on sale for $38 dollars less that what I paid last week...yep, that's about right.

I bought the Kuiu Chugach Rainwear 2 weeks ago and the same thing happened, it's on sale for 25% less for their Fathers Day sale barely a week after receiving my rainwear. A difference of nearly $200!!!! I'm a blue collar guy and need to save my nickels just like everyone else for top gear. I have purchased a fair amount of products from Kuiu and I felt a bit stung about it since I had been waiting and saving for the solid colors to become available for quite some time. The solid color rainwear just became available in olive and no one mentioned at the time I ordered my gear it would be on sale a week later, so I called them up yesterday afternoon to politely voice a complaint and express my feelings. The sales folks didn't know at the time I had ordered my gear it would go on sale a week later either. She explained to me that they aren't aware of a sale until after Jason Hairston (owner) announces it and a little bit more about how their direct sales program works.
After talking to the sales person for a few minutes, she went back and discussed it with Jason and they are refunding back to me the difference!!!!
I mentioned on another thread how much I like their gear and more importantly how great the customer service is, I look forward to continuing my relationship with them and purchasing more products as they become available, they have certainly earned my respect and future business.

Best,
BD
Posted By: snubbie Re: Hunting Pants - 06/09/12
Originally Posted by BlackDog1

I bought the Kuiu Chugach Rainwear 2 weeks ago and the same thing happened, it's on sale for 25% less for their Fathers Day sale barely a week after receiving my rainwear. A difference of nearly $200!!!! I'm a blue collar guy and need to save my nickels just like everyone else for top gear. I have purchased a fair amount of products from Kuiu and I felt a bit stung about it since I had been waiting and saving for the solid colors to become available for quite some time. The solid color rainwear just became available in olive and no one mentioned at the time I ordered my gear it would be on sale a week later, so I called them up yesterday afternoon to politely voice a complaint and express my feelings. The sales folks didn't know at the time I had ordered my gear it would go on sale a week later either. She explained to me that they aren't aware of a sale until after Jason Hairston (owner) announces it and a little bit more about how their direct sales program works.
After talking to the sales person for a few minutes, she went back and discussed it with Jason and they are refunding back to me the difference!!!!
I mentioned on another thread how much I like their gear and more importantly how great the customer service is, I look forward to continuing my relationship with them and purchasing more products as they become available, they have certainly earned my respect and future business.

Best,
BD

Wow, good for you! As a repeat customer it is good they recognize your value and decided to make you happy. I have a small business and would do the same thing to one of my regulars.
Being a new customer, I'll strike my experience up to "my typical luck"! But your experience speaks volumes to me as to their quality of business ethics. Any future gear purchases and Kuiu will certainly be in the mix.

In fact I'm trying to figure out if I need one of their Spindrift jackets... whistle ....well they ARE on sale!
Posted By: GaryVA Re: Hunting Pants - 06/09/12
Anyone have experience with the Seeland Keeper pants out of Denmark?

http://www.workwearcanada.com/products/detail.cfm?product=609

Posted By: BlackDog1 Re: Hunting Pants - 06/09/12

Best,
BD

Wow, good for you! As a repeat customer it is good they recognize your value and decided to make you happy. I have a small business and would do the same thing to one of my regulars.
Being a new customer, I'll strike my experience up to "my typical luck"! But your experience speaks volumes to me as to their quality of business ethics. Any future gear purchases and Kuiu will certainly be in the mix.

In fact I'm trying to figure out if I need one of their Spindrift jackets... whistle ....well they ARE on sale!

I have a Spindrift also and it's fantastic! I can stuff it into one of its own pockets reducing its size to about that of a Nalgene bottle, very packable, warm and light.

BD
Posted By: mtmiller Re: Hunting Pants - 06/09/12

The solid color rainwear just became available in olive and no one mentioned at the time I ordered my gear it would be on sale a week later, so I called them up yesterday afternoon to politely voice a complaint and express my feelings. The sales folks didn't know at the time I had ordered my gear it would go on sale a week later either.

Exactly how much grace period should be allowed presale for you to complain for a refund? cry What is your rule? confused
Posted By: hackleback Re: Hunting Pants - 06/09/12
A direction I have been looking into is the use of soccer pants. They come in multiple colors, both straight and tapered legs, pockets, zippered leg cuffs and can be found at just about any sporting goods store for 30-40 bucks. I have a pair made by Addidas and they are fairly heavy weight. On the down side, I do not think these would do very well around briars and these would not be very warm for late winter.

Just another option.
Posted By: BlackDog1 Re: Hunting Pants - 06/09/12
Originally Posted by mtmiller

The solid color rainwear just became available in olive and no one mentioned at the time I ordered my gear it would be on sale a week later, so I called them up yesterday afternoon to politely voice a complaint and express my feelings. The sales folks didn't know at the time I had ordered my gear it would go on sale a week later either.

Exactly how much grace period should be allowed presale for you to complain for a refund? cry What is your rule? confused

I can't really say exactly how much grace period should be allowed presale, that would be up to the retailer. It's my understanding that other retailers can and do offer up to 30 days. In the past, I have had a few instances where other salespeople suggested that I wait to make a purchase because they knew in advance that there would be a sale coming up within a week or so. As I mentioned in my post, I wasn't aware when I called Kuiu that the sales people aren't aware of upcoming sales until the day the sale begins. For me at least, a couple hundred bucks is not an insignificant amount of money and in this particular instance, I felt it warranted to make a call, ask some questions, express my feelings about it and at the same time have them explain to me their policies. I'm grateful and thankful that the folks at Kuiu feel that everyone is a valued customer and they took the opportunity to take care of me with respect to this.

BD
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Hunting Pants - 06/09/12
I've used nothing but surplus desert camos and either Cabela's or Filson's wool pants for many years with complete satisfaction. E
© 24hourcampfire