Home
What's a good headlamp for coming out of a hunting area or walking in the forest at night? Looking for a good BRIGHT one with hopefully good battery life.
Not sure what your budget is but this light is a great one and reasonably affordable. Absolutely love my zebralights.

Zebralight H51
Posted By: Ed_T Re: Recommendation for a headlamp - 05/24/12
+1 on the Zebralight
Black Diamond Storm has worked great for me: long burn times, good strong beam, light, waterproof, rugged.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/lighting/storm-headlamp
Originally Posted by Ed_T
+1 on the Zebralight

+2
http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/headlamps/universal/tikka-plus

I found this to work great (bright, long bat life, dependable) and very reasonably priced.

Claybreaker
+3 on the zebralight. They are bright as hell and I love that they only use 1 AA battery!
The surefire Saint minimus is a great light also.
Black Diamond. Everyone is always asking me about my headlamp. The model I have is 150 lumens I believe.
I like the fenix. Not sure of the model but it uses one AA battery and works great.
Posted By: djs Re: Recommendation for a headlamp - 05/28/12
I know this is heresy for the big dollar guys here, but I buy 2 head lamps at Home Depot; one for use and one for a back-up or for additional lighting. Light output is good enough for hiking at night on trails or through underbrush.

They cost less than $30 for both and if one fails, I've got the second. Works for me.
Petzl Tikka... They keep working until the headband finally stretches out (7+ years)
my thoughts on the Petzl also
I have a Petzl and it works great but not very bright, the battery lasts a long time. I have used it for hiking in and out in the dark and its pretty good. I have a Black Diamond that I am very unhappy with. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Not what I like to depend on. The Fenix is my favorite. Very bright on the high setting. I use it for night time running and for hunting. I have one of their flashlights that I use at work and for $70 it out does a lot of the double the price lights.
Originally Posted by BlackWidowTackle
+3 on the zebralight. They are bright as hell and I love that they only use 1 AA battery!

+4...have an 'older' H30 powered by a single 123 and 'only' putting out 80 lumens. Awesome light, built hell for stout. I really like the Al. housing vs. the plastic on my Petzals. My original Petzal still worked, but I tossed it as the case was broken and it wouldn't stay together. The batteries kept falling out. Ever try to find AAA's on the ground in the dark after your headlamp came unglued?...put's a premium on having a lighter in your pocket I'll tell ya.
thanks for the info. Just ordered a Zebralight.
Originally Posted by troutslayer
thanks for the info. Just ordered a Zebralight.

I highly doubt you'll be disappointed with that purchase.
Originally Posted by djs
I know this is heresy for the big dollar guys here, but I buy 2 head lamps at Home Depot; one for use and one for a back-up or for additional lighting. Light output is good enough for hiking at night on trails or through underbrush.

They cost less than $30 for both and if one fails, I've got the second. Works for me.

I agree. Although I use the $15 energizer ones from walmart. I guess I don't know what I'm missing. Use mine for chores around the ranch, guiding, camping, etc. They keep on working.
I like the Petzl lights quite well. I've never had any issues with mine. However, I'm intrigued on the Zebralights. It will be my next lamp purchase.
I'm about sold on the zebralight, but can anyone tell me if their made in the US or if their just a US company selling chinese lights? The wording on their website seems a little fishy.

Richard
Posted By: Shag Re: Recommendation for a headlamp - 06/09/12
Originally Posted by Throc
Not sure what your budget is but this light is a great one and reasonably affordable. Absolutely love my zebralights.

Zebralight H51

There's no argument the Zebra light is the "bombproof" way to go. Won't ever own another Princeton. I like the Petzel. But.... If I gotta go cheezy I"m leaning towards Black Diamond or Petzel. One thing about the zebra light is battery life is not good. But when push comes to shove and a failure isn't an option. I'll take a couple extra batteries and a Zebra light every single time.
Petzl MYO XP has served me well.

I've used up, broke, and abused more than a few of them at work and at play over the years.

A Zebralight is on my wish list, but the last one I picked up is a Black Diamond Spot. If it hold up, I'll get along with it just fine http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/lighting/spot-headlamp I've been using it to ride my bike home from work at 1 in the morning with the floodie. It's got a serious hot spot, and seeing 70 yards with it isn't a problem. I like the little LEDs for around camp. The red LEDs I could live without. I never got why you'd be worried about preserving your night vision if you feel the need to turn on a headlight??..
Posted By: Shag Re: Recommendation for a headlamp - 06/09/12
I always thought the red light or lens was something that was supposed to "not spook" wildlife your about to shoot in the dark. smile
These cheap straps ($5 from Campmoor) will hold a number of different lights. I've used one for a long time and it works fine.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by hntnnut
I'm about sold on the zebralight, but can anyone tell me if their made in the US or if their just a US company selling chinese lights? The wording on their website seems a little fishy.

Richard

The manual that came with my zebralight states "Zebralight flashlight and headlamp products are designed and engineered in the U.S. and manufactured in China."
Originally Posted by Shag

Zebralight H51

There's no argument the Zebra light is the "bombproof" way to go. Won't ever own another Princeton. I like the Petzel. But.... If I gotta go cheezy I"m leaning towards Black Diamond or Petzel. One thing about the zebra light is battery life is not good. But when push comes to shove and a failure isn't an option. I'll take a couple extra batteries and a Zebra light every single time.

My experience with battery life on the Zebralight has been very positive. My biggest issue is that the on/off button presses very easily and it can get turned on while packed away very easily. I've had several batteries drain like this. I love the fact that it runs off of 1 AA battery though so it's not inconvenient to carry a couple spares.
The battery lock out is untwisting the battery cap about a turn.

Originally Posted by Shag

Zebralight H51

My experience with battery life on the Zebralight has been very positive. My biggest issue is that the on/off button presses very easily and it can get turned on while packed away very easily. I've had several batteries drain like this. I love the fact that it runs off of 1 AA battery though so it's not inconvenient to carry a couple spares.
Originally Posted by kenaiking

Thanks, didn't know that and didn't think of it either.
Originally Posted by kenaiking

Thanks, didn't know that and didn't think of it either.

...what he said...That is another nice feature of the Zebra vs the Petzals that I've had. With the P's I used to pack them in/out empty (if not needed of course), then add batteries once unpacked. Kinda a pain in the arse....
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
These cheap straps ($5 from Campmoor) will hold a number of different lights. I've used one for a long time and it works fine.

[Linked Image]

What lights do you use with that strap? I shudder to think that you are using a Mini Mag or equivalent as pictured. grin
© 24hourcampfire