Home
Over the years, I have seen various pictures with red laces in hiking and hunting boots. What is the tradition or back ground to using red boot laces versus other colors in hiking or hunting boots ? I tried doing a quick Google search on the topic and all I can come up with is some gang banger / racist / cop killing drivel. Are the red laces traditional to certain geographical areas ? Certain activities ? Personal preference ?

Just curious...
People wear red laces in their hiking boots?
My 1970's era boots had red laces. Sometime in the 90's, I noticed the skinheads wearing red laces in army jump boots like I wore in the 101st.

No doubt that REI and the others noticed too and went to earth tones.

I thought about putting red laces in my jump boots just to irritate the granola folks around my college town. :-)
Most (not all) of my boots... no red, but I fondly remember red laces ala 70's:

[Linked Image]
...and Tom Selleck 'staches...lol...
My boots in the 80s and 90s all had red laces. Not sure why.....
Originally Posted by ken999
...and Tom Selleck 'staches...lol...

Had one of those too... laugh
...I know...grin...
all of my early hiking boots had red laces too. my latest danners had green laces and a spare pair of brown laces.
Forgive me for replying to an old thread...but Iran across this thread on a Google search.

I remember a long time ago someone told me that it was common for hikers to lace their boots with red paracord, which at the time denoted the strongest type of paracord. Sounds plausible.
My first pair of Lowa's in the early 1970s had red laces. I like em.
© 24hourcampfire