Home
Posted By: Irving_D Commando or underwear - 07/27/12
What do you guys prefer when hiking several miles in this heat. I typically walk 9 to 10 miles a day for work and it can be painful.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Commando or underwear - 07/27/12
I've gone to compression shorts on day hikes the last several years. For me, way more comfortable.
What are underwear?

Grew up in Texas and have spent half the past decade in Iraq and Afghanistan. All three are hot, two can get cold regularly, and I go without. On the rare occassions I do wear something it is a compression short.

Posted By: Brad Re: Commando or underwear - 07/27/12
I wear "River Shorts", ie, light nylon shorts with a built in brief... not constricting at all. Those I happen to like are made by North Face and are called "Class Five Shorts."
Posted By: Field_Hand Re: Commando or underwear - 07/27/12
i think we covered this a few weeks back but i go commando hiking in the hot humid weather.
Posted By: GaryVA Re: Commando or underwear - 07/27/12
Cannot do that. Outerwear constructed with cotton, polyester, or any abrasive resistant material riding directly against my nether regions will certainly chafe within a day or two of hiking. Going swimming for the afternoon is one thing, but hitting the trail is another. Most certainly bad medicine for me. I like my treasured valuables comfortably held within a soft and non-chafing next to skin layer to ward off the abrasive effect of outerwear.

Best smile
Posted By: Blackbrush Re: Commando or underwear - 07/27/12
Wool boxer/brief from Smartwool or the like. They don't get stinky w extended wear. Warm when cold and cool when warm out.
Posted By: markopolo50 Re: Commando or underwear - 07/27/12
I agree with Blackbrush. Wool undies from Smartwool are good in any weather.
Posted By: antlers Re: Commando or underwear - 07/27/12
I wear the same thing I wear when I'm mountain biking or road biking, or working or just kickin' around...tighty whitey's. I've been wearing them since I got out of diapers. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. No problems ever. I've done lots of climbing in Colorado this Summer too...worn the same thing as always. No problemo.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Commando or underwear - 07/27/12
I wear a mankini, gives me freedom, lots of air. Plus the blackberries are thornless above 4500ft so no worries.
Posted By: Seminole39 Re: Commando or underwear - 07/27/12
2 words

banana hammock
Posted By: joelbiltz Re: Commando or underwear - 07/27/12
Merino will boxers.
Posted By: soli Re: Commando or underwear - 07/27/12
Condom for me,no rubbing plus I am prepared.
Posted By: Phoneman Re: Commando or underwear - 07/28/12
remind me not to never buy a pair of pants from ya'll. Only time i go commando is if i gotta go and aint got no paper and there aint no leaves.
Posted By: Scorpion Re: Commando or underwear - 07/28/12
Commando is probably the most uncomfortable way to go, in my opinion, never could quite understand it. I wear 6" or 9" inseam Under Armour boxer jocks daily and have yet to find anything to beat them. I own probably 15-20 pairs and have not worn cotton in years because they suck so bad. Underwear is one of the few things I really like from Under Armour.
Posted By: eyeball Re: Commando or underwear - 07/28/12
Underwear can make good TP, and get one out of a bind.
Posted By: pointer Re: Commando or underwear - 07/28/12
I'm with the compression shorts crowd. The ones I have now are Nike. I'm fat and these cut way down on my sugar cured's from get cooked in between.
Posted By: SKane Re: Commando or underwear - 07/28/12
For the merino fans, Minus 33 has some discounted boxer briefs.
*note the size disclaimer*

http://www.minus33.com/catalog/men-s-100-wool-lightweight-boxer-brief/702OR

Posted By: smokepole Re: Commando or underwear - 07/28/12
I wear the synthetic briefs from REI. Inexpensive, and conveniently colored black so you can go for days with no skid marks. At least visible ones.
Posted By: 7LRMshooter Re: Commando or underwear - 07/28/12
For me the First Lite Red Desert merino wool boxers are the way to go. No more CSBCS...aka chronic sweaty butt crack syndrome!
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Commando or underwear - 07/28/12
Originally Posted by Blackbrush
Wool boxer/brief from Smartwool or the like. They don't get stinky w extended wear. Warm when cold and cool when warm out.

Yep. I wear I/O Bio, only because they were on sale, but would buy Smartwool or Patagonia also.
Posted By: GSSP Re: Commando or underwear - 07/29/12
Under Armour compression shorts along with Under Armour compression HEAT long johns and T shirt. Just completed a 24hr Sniper Adventure Challenge (read that as endurance race) yesterday, covering 30 miles in rugged No. Utah mountains, 55 to 95 temps with 60 lb pack. Got 4 honkin blisters but rest of me was fine.

Alan
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Commando or underwear - 07/29/12
I just bought the ua compression shorts and a can of anti monkey but. I should be in good shape tomorrow.
Posted By: Ironman65 Re: Commando or underwear - 07/29/12
Commando for the last 26-27 years.
First Lite Wind River boxers, no way could I hike a mountain commando...
Posted By: elkhunter130 Re: Commando or underwear - 08/02/12
No chili in camp
Posted By: pka45 Re: Commando or underwear - 08/03/12
I can't imagine going commando, but I've never tried it. I'll add another vote for merino wool - I have some from Sierra that were $15, or others from Backcountry for about that. They don't have to say "First Lite" and cost $50 to be effective.
Posted By: hunttolive Re: Commando or underwear - 08/05/12
+1 on compression shorts. $30 for some underamor ones are very very worth it!
pka45 Agreed there are some other great quality Merino Wool manufacturers. But, I like the feel of First Lite's wool and boxer length is just a tad longer than most boxers. Which I prefer, but may not be everyone's preference
Posted By: mossbergman Re: Commando or underwear - 08/07/12
Originally Posted by Seminole39
2 words

banana hammock
4 words

merino wool banna hammock
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Commando or underwear - 08/16/12
Exofficio Boxer Briefs. The only way to go.
© 24hourcampfire