Home
Posted By: Kevin_T New Shelter - Little Bug Out - 09/17/12
Here is a new shelter called the Little Bug Out

Little Bug Out Shelter

More details and tester reports should be coming soon. Please let me know if you have any questions. I've been testing it extensively for months and am very pleased.
Looks great. Sort of a "modular mid". This thing appears to make a Kifaru Paratarp obselete as a backup shelter, and with the the rest of the setup, looks like you'd be set for warm-weather ramblin' with a friend and it looks like it would be a great solo shelter with a stove. Would the stove jack go in the base or the add-on?
Hi TAK

We are working out the stove placement and part of that will be after testers get done and taking into account how they slept orientation wise etc.

I know a stove jack could go on the tarp connection ideally when used as a 6 person size. It could go on either of the other segments as well. In fact, you could get two base or vestibule units one without stove jack and one with if you desire and swap them out depending on conditions.

Kevin
That is simply very creative and look forward to seeing more!
Here are a couple things to note that are not on the page:

- it can be used as more of a flat tarp as well. I wouldn't use it that way unless it was dark and finding enough real estate to do more than bivy is a challenge. That happened once and it provided enough cover

- I've used it as a base shelter and then taking off one side for emergency use. Although it's pretty storm worthy even as a 3 sided shelter , what I have done is just toss all my gear on the one side, drop it, put a rock or something on it and then take the other side for emergency day use. Reconnect back at camp later.

- Dimensions not mentioned when using as a 4 person are roughly 8 ft wide, by 9'9" at the corners and 12'4" inches in the center. Using the guy outs it's very roomy for it's footprint

- How I found myself using it usually was with a trekking pole only when used small with a vestibule (2 person), and with an extender or CF pole when used as a 4 person

- I also suspect the dual doors will allow it to be used fairly well as a blind as well, since they can zip down from the top and allow you to peak out

I'm sure testers will chime in once they get units to play with which should be soon.
Kevin
looks very solid Kevin. I like the flexibility of what two guys can accomplish who are each carrying one, if I understand the pictures and description properly.
So, as a one man shelter, how would you set this up for various conditions?

Early season?

Mid season?

Late season?

I assume you'd need two bases, vestibule and of course the nest, correct? What would be the reason to go with something like this over say a solo 4 season tent such as the Tarptent Scarp 1??? I assume with the Scarp 1 you're packing in extra weight when it's not necessarily needed (ie early season hunting)??

Kevin T I'm a virgin at backpack hunting, but have been doing my research. I keep coming back to Seek Outside or Tarptent for shelters. Without having any experience it's tough to know what a guy wants/needs in a shelter.

Looking forward to your videos on this shelter. I appologize if this is not the proper place for this disussion. I've been doing too much reading though, and my heads spinning...

Fisky
To answer the question Evan had. Yes one person can carry each segment. Additionally, you could do a lot of mix and matching. For instance, in a BC hunt scenario, you could have two base sections with a tarp connecting them as a base camp. You take the tarp part as an emergency day shelter. You could also have a vestibule, disconnect one base and take the vestibule as a little spike camp. You can come up with a lot of scenarios where you could use or carry different segments. It will be interesting to see how people end up using it. It should be noted, if you are good at pitching in a protected place, the base section alone works pretty well.

As a one man shelter you could do several things. Realize it is comfortably large for one person with the base alone being about 43 sq feet, but most people like the space.

If bugs are not an issue , you can just take the base, or if you desire take the base plus a nest. If you feel safer with a full enclosure, add the vestibule in. I have slept two men, with the nest , vestibule and base , with dogs and gear in the vestibule. For one person it's more spacious but not over bearing. For me myself, if I was in protected areas, I'd usually only take the base and probably use a dri ducks poncho as a ground sheet (dual purpose). If I was near or above tree line, I'd take the vestibule and likely a rain jacket instead of the poncho. I could go nest, ground sheet or lightweight bivy inside then, or perhaps just a large pad.

Kevin
To clarify

- For one or two people and a small amount of gear all you need is 1 base and 1 vestibule to have complete coverage. If you want double wall protection , floor and a completely sealed bug environment add in a nest.

- For more room, perhaps lots of gear or more people take 2 bases only and add in nests if you want the double wall / winter or completely sealed bug free environment

- If you have 3 or more and a stove and gear connect them with a tarp. You could sleep up to 6 this way without a stove / gear

I plan on using 2 bases, and a tarp connector as a spike camp for 3 or 4 guys. If they prefer a full enclosure, they can take a nest as well. Then I plan to have an 8 or 12 as base camp for 4 or people.

Make sense ?

Thanks
Kevin
That clarifies it quite a bit. Which is the picture of the base plus vestibule?
Posted By: Big_W Re: New Shelter - Little Bug Out - 09/17/12
It might sound a bit confusing now but I am sure with a video it will become more clear. I am super excited about this new shelter. I will still be keeping my BCS but it will replace my 1 person and 2 person Big Agnes tents. The abilty to have a emergency tarp, lightweight enough for a solo shelter, 2 person shelter, 4 person and 6 person shelter with the abilty to add one or two nest for an enclosed double wall sleeping area? That is a mouth full but sounds like the greatest thing to come along in shelters in sometime!

If you can get your friends to buy a LBO it will work out pretty sweet. Say one guy has more time off and goes in a day early. He can set up his LBO for that night. Your buddy comes in with another LBO base and you can put them togather.

I am interested to hear reports and see pictures of guys using stoves and how they used them in the setup. To be honest I am not looking at this shelter for use with a stove and I will probably never use one with it. That could be because I already have a BCS though.
Posted By: Big_W Re: New Shelter - Little Bug Out - 09/17/12
Evan, vestibule is the blue colored section. Its my understanding the only use for the vestibule is with one base LBO fly. I could be wrong though, it would be kinda cool if you could turn the vestibule into a poncho or pack cover?
Kevin, I'm unclear as to which part is the "nest". On the link you provided I see what appears to be the base (khaki sorta color?) and the vestibule (Blue, right?). So, what is the "nest" part of the system you are mentioning?

Looks like a nice set up anyway.

Maybe I'm looking at the nest part over to the left hand side of the second pic down in the "images" section?

Another question... Are there any distributers where I might be able to see your products in person instead of just looking at them online?

Thanks,
Geno
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
To clarify

- For one or two people and a small amount of gear all you need is 1 base and 1 vestibule to have complete coverage. If you want double wall protection , floor and a completely sealed bug environment add in a nest.

- For more room, perhaps lots of gear or more people take 2 bases only and add in nests if you want the double wall / winter or completely sealed bug free environment

- If you have 3 or more and a stove and gear connect them with a tarp. You could sleep up to 6 this way without a stove / gear

I plan on using 2 bases, and a tarp connector as a spike camp for 3 or 4 guys. If they prefer a full enclosure, they can take a nest as well. Then I plan to have an 8 or 12 as base camp for 4 or people.

Make sense ?

Thanks
Kevin

Thank you.....Sounds about as versatile as a guy can get.

Do people more often than not use these types of shelters without a nest or floor??? It's seems without a nest they offer a great advantage in weight compared to tents.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Kevin, I'm unclear as to which part is the "nest". On the link you provided I see what appears to be the base (khaki sorta color?) and the vestibule (Blue, right?). So, what is the "nest" part of the system you are mentioning?

Looks like a nice set up anyway.

Maybe I'm looking at the nest part over to the left hand side of the second pic down in the "images" section?

Another question... Are there any distributers where I might be able to see your products in person instead of just looking at them online?

Thanks,
Geno

Here is the nest....

http://seekoutside.com/products/liners-and-nests/
Hi Fisky

Yes that second photo has a nest in it.

Some people go floorless, other prefer a full enclosure, thus the nest. It does save weight going floorless. The nest provides a bit more warmth and of course bug / dirt protection.

The vestibule is the blue section, it won't be blue in production, but aided us in identifying everything

We don't have any distributers at the time being but we do have a 30 day check out period with a minimal 10% restocking to minimize investment

I preface this video by saying it is bad, but that happens sometimes. Anyway you can see the setup a bit easier with this. For the record, the vestibule is there under the floor. Of course, being zippered in resolves that issue (as it is now). These shown were prototypes. You can see pitching it all together though, in the rain (as I was).

One other note, and I don't mean to confuse anyone but what the heck, there is another mode where you can set up two of the base unit's in what I term "blocking mode". This is great for two guys that aren't going in together or at the same time. It's an alternative to zipping them as full enclosure. It does require two poles instead of one, but you basically pitch them facing each other, with enough room to pull out the beak between them and get in and get out. In this mode they are pretty weather proof, and there is a couple foot gap in between them. One blocks the other from low angled blowing rain and most wind.
I agree Big W having the vestibule provide an additional function would be nice. I'm not sure if the shape is conducive, but I'd be willing to go through a prototype cycle on it.

Kevin
Kevin,

Thanks for the info re: nest and distributers. I'm just checking things out for next year, this year is pretty well planned out. No backpacking this year and then there's knee surgery after my elk hunt at the end of Nov.

Maybe next year I'll check with you to see if one of your customers is in my area.

Nice looking products, sure a whole lot different than what I learned to backpack with: tube tents (huh?) which were a WHOLE lot lighter than the surplus canvas half shelters I used in Boy Scouts!

You young'uns have it so easy nowadays, you can probably call mom from up there on your "smart phones"!

Geno
Hi Valsdad

We do have several customers in the Washington / Idaho area. None have this yet, but perhaps by your time frame some will

Thanks
Kevin
I hunted Kevin's area last week, was fortunate enough to spend a couple nights in his house, and even coerced him into helping me pack elk meat! I also saw the LBO in person.

What you guys need to understand is that Kevin lives and hunts in some STEEP, tall, and rugged country. That drives his gear choices and designs. What he makes has to be reliable and functional, but also needs to be light weight and flexible.

My thoughts on the LBO:

- Summer/early fall, expecting nice weather - take just the base tarp. Pitch it with the open side facing a nice big spruce or pine and even an unexpected storm won't wet you.

- Expecting colder weather - Take the base and vestibule for a fully enclosed shelter.

- Expecting several days of rain or if the wife is along - take base, vestibule, and nest. The nest turns it into a double wall tent which helps with condensation. My wife hates bugs and dirt, so if she goes so does the nest.

Winter - I'd probably take the base and vestibule with a small woodburner depending on configuration. Maybe even two bases. I also own a BCS so it would be a tough decision between the two.

I can see the base tarp being used as a woodshed/awning/emergency tarp when base camping from a larger shelter. Also, the nest integrates into the BCS and the larger tipis, so it isn't a one trick pony.
We added some CAD style drawing on the page to show the footprint , size in various configurations.

Little Bug Out Shelter
More photos depicting various configurations as well as pricing is online.

The only configuration not covered in photo's or drawing is vestibule - tarp - vestibule

Big_W you got your wish the vestibule operates as a poncho.

Lil Bug Out

A couple photo's for you
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Let me know if you have any questions

The web page shows with gear, and some other configurations.

The web page is
http://seekoutside.com/products/ultralight-tipis/little-bug-out-shelter/
Stove jack?
Yes but it is an add on for $55.00.

This is because it can go in multiple places. For instance in the last photo, you can see one on the tarp segment. This is going to be our spike camp. It can go on a base, a vestibule or the tarp depending on how you want to use it.

I plan on possibly having two vestibules , one with and one without a stove jack, and then the tarp connector segment having one as well.

Kevin
It makes a lot of sense for the tarp connector to have a jack. Then you're effectively heating two shelters with one stove.

I look forward to testing it out!
Looks like a great little shelter.
Yes but it is an add on for $55.00.

This is because it can go in multiple places. For instance in the last photo, you can see one on the tarp segment. This is going to be our spike camp. It can go on a base, a vestibule or the tarp depending on how you want to use it.

Kevin

Cool, and in the spike camp photo. That pic reminds me of my father saying "You think I'm paying to heat the whole out-doors?"

It's looking good so far.
Here is a relevant video that perhaps explains the configurations a bit better.

Can these (LBOS) be hung from a tree limb or line and not use a pole? - ie: do they have a hanging loop on top.

Thanks

BTW- Very nice modular shelter-well done.
Yes they have a hang loop.
Kevin, I see Connecting Tarp w/ beaks as an option on your site. What's the difference from a regular tarp?
It's the same tarp with a couple small beaks. The advantage to it, is it allows you to use a vestibules with the tarp to create a different type of shelter more along the lines of the breakaway tarp, but with zippers and the same height on both sides. This one would not be compatible with the bug nest, however, it gives you even more options.
Ok, that makes sense. I'd probably get the beaks then because I would have a vestibule anyway. If I'm right then I could have base tarp + tarp connector + vestibule which would make a ton of room for 2-3 people.
Looks great, Kevin.

I have a bunch of nights in my BCS and really like it. The LBO looks like a great compliment to it, really liking the modularity and weight savings. Might need one of these for my solo trips...:)
Hi Wrongside

Glad you are enjoying the BCS. Really, the LBO is a smaller evolution of the BCS. It took some of the concepts, refined them a bit and added some additional modularity. One goal was to have sub one pound components, and another was a ton of flexibility for when you have no idea where your camp will be located.

Kevin
This should answer a few questions. This was a camp last night, basically everything nests included. It got down to 12 degrees and camp was setup pretty quickly as the sun was setting. It was nice to have a stove.

[Linked Image]

We just guyed out the one side of the tarp, until we called it a night and started the stove then we zipped it all up.
It took some of the concepts, refined them a bit and added some additional modularity. One goal was to have sub one pound components, and another was a ton of flexibility for when you have no idea where your camp will be located.

Exactly why it should be a good fit for my backpacking and hunting. And as of this morning, speaking with Angie ordering some 'spare parts', I have one base w/ vestibule on order. Look forward to wearing it out. smile
I think you will really like the LBO. We used it with the tarp connector as a spike for 3 guys and gear with a stove and wood and it was great. The weather was pretty brutal as well.

[Linked Image]

I have now gotten my hands on the LBO as well and will post some pictures as I have some time. This will be far and away the most versatile shelter that I am currently aware of on the market. My current solo shelter, TiGoat V5 is going on the market because of the LBO and it's versatility.

In 3 days with it I have been able to pitch it in the stand alone Base model, Base+tarp, and Base+Tarp+Base. Tonight I will be setting it up in another couple models to see form and function there.

-When this shelter is in single wall form without a nest plan on there being condensation like any other single wall shelter. If you went with the Base+Base setting a stove jack could easily be put in several places to make for the most personal comfort level with stove location.

-When the nest is used condensation won't be an issue. This is my first time getting my hands on one of the Nests that Kevin offers and they are pretty slick. This will be a mainstay in my back-country gear for years to come. Kevin has gone over the benefits of the nest in detail compared to a bivy in other posts, so I won't rehash that(even though I plan to use both depending on situations).

-The Base plus nest alone will function for me as a standalone solo shelter, or double when it's me and the wife.

-When pitching Base+Tarp+Base make sure and look for holes, or uneven spots on the ground on the two long walls. Because this shelter is designed with a nest in mind the sod skirt isn't included which often makes up for low spots in SO Tipi's.

-Numerous guy outs help to effective pitch the LBO in such a way that it will be very easy to take advantage of all the usable floor space. Any center pole designed shelter loses floor space because of the steep angles of the wall. Well placed guy outs effectively help with this.

More later when work obligations don't call. Feel free to ask for photos, thoughts, etc.
Originally Posted by sreekers
-Numerous guy outs help to effective pitch the LBO in such a way that it will be very easy to take advantage of all the usable floor space. Any center pole designed shelter loses floor space because of the steep angles of the wall. Well placed guy outs effectively help with this.

I am keen to see pics with the guy outs on the back of the LBO in use. Thanks in advance.
I have a full write up on my blog:

http://sreekers81.blogspot.com/
Kevin,

I have a couple questions...

Does the tarp connector come with a stove jack already installed?

For one guy, needing to run a stove, what all does a guy need?
2 poles, or 1?
Base + Vestibule + tarp (with jack installed, as set up for connecting two bases)?
Or would you install a stove jack somewhere else for single use, like the vestibule?

You have any pictures of this set up, being used with a stove?

Also, for anybody who has experience with this shelter, how is set up? A video would be great, if somebody has already done one.

Thanks
Kevin maybe I missed it could a person run a tarp connector and a vestibule on each end? About what size would that make? Thanks.
Floorguy, yeah you can. I don't remember the sf, i might have put it on my blog.
Fisky, the stove jack is extra, but you can gabber it installed on whatever section you want. You would need two Poles, but if you use a trekking pole or two that works as well. I have some pics up on my blog as well, one with the stove.
Fisky, the stove jack is extra, but you can gabber it installed on whatever section you want. You would need two Poles, but if you use a trekking pole or two that works as well. I have some pics up on my blog as well, one with the stove.

sreekers, I eventually found your review. It was very helpful. Thanks!!
Wow, some of my posts with this phone are just bad.

Fisky, glad it helped. I now own a base and vestibule, so long term performance is next. I will have stove jacks in several of the pieces. I plan to own the entire thing.
Floorguy, yeah you can. I don't remember the sf, i might have put it on my blog.

Good to know that you can
sf isn't in your blog or SO's website for that configuration nor are the dimensions.
Maybe I am just blind but is there no longer an option for the beak on the tarp connector?
Hi

Under the configurations page it gives dimensions and sizing of the most common configurations.

http://seekoutside.com/products/ultralight-tipis/little-bug-out-shelter/

If you are interested in the tarp with beaks, contact us. We are trying to make the Lil bug out, a little easier to understand so we actually reduced options at the moment. The ordering will get easier early in the new year.

Sq footage with tarp + vestibules probably as a guess about 75 - 80.
Thanks Kevin I saw that page but am thinking the config I was looking for was a little less common.
Kevin,

I like the looks of this shelter. I may have to give it a go.

As a side note, SeekOutside are the only people that sent me a Christmas card this year. How [bleep] sad is that?

Travis
Posted By: Big_W Re: New Shelter - Little Bug Out - 12/31/12
Originally Posted by deflave

As a side note, SeekOutside are the only people that sent me a Christmas card this year. How [bleep] sad is that?

Travis

Haha, same here!
Glad you guys liked the cards.

Here is what we have been up to when we have not been sending out cards.

We are offering a discount in conjunction with BHA (Backcountry Hunters and Anglers). With your existing or new membership you save 7 % on our tents and stoves. Everyone wins. The backcountry, the organization and the customer.

We have also started using our blog for more in depth articles. If you would like to write something let us know. Here is the first one from a member here you might recognize A fire kit with Giant Pixi Sticks and an Altoids tin New articles should be coming out every week or so. Sign up for the blog to receive the new articles as they come out.

We will also start being at several shows early this spring. In the next few days we will start publishing the when and where on our site. Feel free to stop buy and say hi once the schedule is out.

4 Person tipi - we are adding this back in. Just like the 6 but in a 4 person size. It seems to fill a niche between the BCS and 6 person and be a great setup for two people with a stove. It is pre-orderable at the moment.

In stock - we have some stoves in stock. In the next few weeks we expect to get the more popular variations of products in stock.

We did redo our website last month, so have a look. Seek Outside

Back to the topic at hand.
Thanks
Kevin
I'll see you at the BHA rondy in Boise smile

Bring a spare 6 man
Posted By: Ed_T Re: New Shelter - Little Bug Out - 01/04/13
Originally Posted by DanAdair
I'll see you at the BHA rondy in Boise smile

Bring a spare 6 man

A spare or one you wish to buy smile
Originally Posted by Big_W
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

Haha, same here!

I got a Christmas card and a LBO in the mail from SO... wink

More seriously, I just went over this thing from top to bottom and am very impressed with the design and quality. Super modular, light, should be very storm worthy. Just a super solo shelter with gear and room to spare. And a good size two man with minimal gear inside.

Hopefully I can put it to use here soon and provide a little more comprehensive feedback. As it stands, I'm pretty sure there'll be a few more pieces on order come spring time...
© 24hourcampfire