Home
Posted By: ts300wsm your backpack hunting rifle? - 12/02/12
As the title says mine is my new Remington model 700 mountain SS in 308 Win. with Leupold VX 3 3.5-10x40mm
I usually go with this one. It's a Remington Model 7 in 7mm SAUM. Topped with a Leupold Vari X-3 3.5x10. Mcmillan stock, PTG shroud, Uncle Mikes mtn. sling, Talley LW's.

[Linked Image]
Hoyt Carbon Matrix! Oh wait you said rifle.
Posted By: Ed_T Re: your backpack hunting rifle? - 12/02/12
Kimber Montana .325 WSM w/Leupold 3.5-10 CDS
7-08 TI or Montana 300 WSM
Posted By: prm Re: your backpack hunting rifle? - 12/02/12
Kimber Montana 338 Federal, VX-2 3-9 CDS

[Linked Image]

Posted By: T_O_M Re: your backpack hunting rifle? - 12/02/12
Kimber Montana .308, Leupold 2.5-8X w/ B&C 'hairs, in Talleys.
Model 7 in 7 swammi. Mickey edge. Nightforce 2.5-10. Shoots 162 Amax into one tiny hole. Carried it for 10 days in the Frank looking for a RAM to come home with me. No luck, so I stopped bye one of my Whitetail haunts and cashed in a 1100 yard shot on a meat buck and a 40 yard shot to fill my extra Doe tag. Just so i didn't come home empty handed. We were out of venison. Not a bad deal for a six pound rifle and a ten power scope. I am still amazed how well a factory model 7 can shoot. Just a bedding job and a decent stock. Oh and a little time at the bench.

Jason
Posted By: SeanD Re: your backpack hunting rifle? - 12/02/12
700 ss adl 270win, 24" in a ti stock w/ 6x42 and talley LW's. 7.5 lbs. I havent spent much time behind a lighter rifle, but i dont find 7.5# to be too bad to carry and it sure is nice to shoot.
Stiller Predator action
Satern #4 taper fluted
Manners MCS-SL stock
Jewell trigger
Talley rings and bases
Nightforce 2.5-10

Weighs about 8 lbs as listed. Has been shooting 1/2 MOA out to 850 yards.
Posted By: Shag Re: your backpack hunting rifle? - 12/02/12
Sako A7 30-06 Leupold VX-1 3-9 x40 CDS In Talley Lows. 150gr TTSX
1st gen Rem 700 Ti 30-06 spitting Partitions. Leupold 6x36 with M1. It's taken sheep, goat, and piles of deer and elk.
Either my M70 280 AI/mcm edge/swaro Z3/150 TTSX's or my M70 300 H&H/echols legend edge/swaro Z3 180 TTSX.
Posted By: Maxx Re: your backpack hunting rifle? - 12/02/12

Here is mine, Rifles Inc Titanium, 300 WinMag.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Boise Re: your backpack hunting rifle? - 12/02/12
I absolutely love my sub 6 pound Rem Ti that has been rechambered to .284 Win.
[Linked Image]

I have carried it many places but this is my most memorable hunt, horse supported, with lots of lung burning hikes above 15000 feet. (Siberian Ibex wolf kills)
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GuyM Re: your backpack hunting rifle? - 12/02/12
The same .25-06 Rem 700 CDL I've used for pretty much all my mule deer hunting over the past eight years or so.

[Linked Image]

A 6x Leupold, Turner sling, and handloaded 115 Noslers or Bergers complete the rifle. It works out real well. Have killed mule deer from 20 yards - 400 yards with it. Very good accuracy, particularly with the 115 Nosler Ballistic Tips.

Yeah, that's an ancient Kelty from the 1970's. I can't seem to get rid of it. The Kelty frame and my frame are both well seasoned now.

Guy

Mine is an 84L Montana,.30-06, 2-7 Leupold VXII w-LR reticle., barrel cut to 22", front sight and folding island rear sights added. It has a home made 1" nylon shooting sling and a jungle sling as well.

I also have an XS sight system aperture rear that can be mounted on the rear base [Warne steel Weaver style base].

I will likely change the scope out to a VX3 2.5-8 as I have that scope on several of my other rifles and find it a bit better than the 2x7.

Prior to getting the 84L I used a M70 FW All-Terrain similarly equipped.
Took my 35 Whelen/Mauser when I went this summer for the first time, but I'm building another Mauser in 6.5 Swede that will be a lot lighter.
Ruger Hawkeye 358 Win. with Leupold VXII 2-7x33. Though not my lightest rifle, it is well balanced and easy to carry.
260 Faux, but a 308 Montana may be replacing it...
[Linked Image]
I had a couple of those Montana's. They are impressive rifles, IMO.
Great pics...

I've got two.....

Montana 7 WSM/Talley's/Swaro 3-10x42 AV,

700 Mountain in 7-08, B&C ultralight stock, Talley's, Leup 2.5-8

Both shoot well and are vetted out to 600 yds, decided edge to the Kimber though. I've spent a bunch of time on that B&C stock. I may just move it to another rifle and go McStock.
Posted By: Keahi Re: your backpack hunting rifle? - 12/03/12
1st Gen 700 Ti
VX-3 2.5x8 36
Talley LW lows
260 Rem with 120 TSX's
Gre-Tan pin and shroud
Williams SS trigger guard
SS milled follower
Jewell trigger

My perfect rifle. The 243 and 270's stays home.
For those without a ton of cash to burn should look at the Ruger American. Low price, light and very accurate. I love mine in .270
Got a 1st gen 7-08ti with Brown Pounder and all the lightweight parts that can be swapped. Just built myself a 4.5 lbs. Contender carbine in. 35 Remington. I think it may replace the ti for around these parts.
alot of nice rifles
I just made a deal on an ultralight "mountain rifle" as I had traded the one I had in progress, due to the slow nature of gunsmiths, which, at my age, presents problems.

Remmy sts Md. 7 action, trued

X-large recoil lug, trued to above

PTG bolt, fluted, alloy shroud, fluted pin, Ti handle,welded on

Micky-made Remmy Custom shop stock

Gaillard match sts tube, 7-08, Mountain Rifle contour at 22"

Neat webbed green paint

5 lbs-6 oz bare, with alloy bottom metal-dislike blind mags and have the rifles I bought so equipped modded for custom BM.

I'm thinkin' Leupy 2.5x8 silver in Leupy QR silver medium rings on the 1-pc. silver base they make for the Mod. 7. I know I can go lighter with the scope, use alloy bases, but,this rifle will be hunted as it is costing me a chunk of change and I want the most efficient sights possible for early morning in BC's dark forests.

I also want it as tough as possible as it will ride on my pack and not be pampered.

This, plus my 6-10 to 6-12 custom Classic Mod. 70 sts, in a Micky Edge in .308Win. are as light as I care to go and the cartridges are also as light as I will use in BC hunting. I have about 10 "light" rifles, going 7.25-8 lbs. all up in .270, .280 and .30-06, but, saving that pound at my age is worth squeezing my budget,for me and this should be an ideal alpine rifle for the rest of my days in the mountains.
Ultra Light Arms Model 20 in 284 Win Melvin built for me in 1990. Had a Leupold 6x compact on it for years and just replaced it with a Swaro 3-9x36. Nice to have a little extra magnification after 23 years. Murdered just about everything that walks in the mountains of North America with this gun. Melvins pet 284 load or at least it was when I bought it 55 grains IMR 4350 w. 140 grain Nosler Partition (yesterday's bullet today). Haven't shot any griz I guess.
Montana 338 Fed
Leupold VX-3 2.5-8X36

Montana 270 WSM
Leupold VX-3 3.5-10X42
Posted By: JRaw Re: your backpack hunting rifle? - 12/27/12
700KS 30.06, Talleys, 2.5-8 B&C, Uncle Mike's mountain sling with replacement plastic swivels.
[Linked Image]
model 7 chambered in 284 winchester with a wildcat composite stock, 6x36 leupold, talley lw's, foam recoil pad, lots of machining and skeletizing. All up with scope, scope covers and sling it is 5.5 lbs.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GregW Re: your backpack hunting rifle? - 12/27/12
I'd say that thing has been machined just a "touch"...
[Linked Image]
Details, Dober, and, that is an intriguing paint job. I would bet that it actually works as "camo" and probably better than some of these highly touted current "in" patterns.
[Linked Image]

Just this'un. It's at home killing the first legal deer it sees on the 2nd to last day of the season on the river bottom too.

These days it's wearing Talley LWs and a 2-7x33 Loopy with dots, and a Brownells Latigo sling. I thought about putting an ebony fore-end tip on it, but then I decided I liked the Great Norhtern Brewing sticker better.
Contender Carbine 30-30
Ambush Arms 6.8 SPC II
Christianson Arms Extreme 300 WSM on Rem 700
Chistianson Arms Carbon 300 Ultra on Winchester 70

Posted By: CLB Re: your backpack hunting rifle? - 12/28/12
Kimber Montana 7-08 bedded with Devcon, Talley LW's, Leupy 2-7x33, loaded with 154gr RN's.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Hunted with a loaner MG Arms Ultra Light in .300 WSM this year but my new "go to" is a 700Ti with a factory .270 barrel bedded into a Hunter's Edge. Cerakoted black with a 6x42 CDS in Talley LW rings. Didn't get it off to Karl in time to take it to Wyoming but I got a chance to take a whitetail doe with it this week.

Here's a photo without the scope.

[Linked Image]
alot of fine rifles
Lately its been this one, Gander Mtn Guide .243, bolt Ti fluted & bolt handle skeletonized by Karl@Kampfeld, PTG bolt shroud/firing pin, x-tra low Talleys & Leupold 6x36 with dotz.
6 lbs 10 ozs all up.
[Linked Image]
Last hunting season I stumbled across a savage 99H in 30-30 at a local gun shop. The gun was in rough shape, but I have always been looking for a 99 to cut down for a brush gun. Something similar to the marlin spikehorn. After a year with the gun still sitting in the rack I told the owner to make me a offer I couldnt refuse. He offered me 300 including the cutting and crowning. I had him cut the barrel down to 16" and here is the finished product. I wasn't able to get a deer with it this season but i plan on trying to bag some coyotes with it. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] It should prove to be just what I need up here in the Adirondacks.
Originally Posted by CLB
Kimber Montana 7-08 bedded with Devcon, Talley LW's, Leupy 2-7x33, loaded with 154gr RN's.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

How's that rifle shoot?
Posted By: CLB Re: your backpack hunting rifle? - 12/31/12
Originally Posted by cobrad
Originally Posted by CLB

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

How's that rifle shoot?

Shoots like a dream. Sorry I did not buy one years ago!
Originally Posted by ts300wsm
As the title says mine is my new Remington model 700 mountain SS in 308 Win. with Leupold VX 3 3.5-10x40mm

Remington 700 TI .30-06 with McEdge and 3-9x40 Leupy.
I hunt with a few, but last year I hunted with my Kimber Montana 7WSM the most. Rifle is scoped with a Leupold Tactical 3.5-10x40 and 1" mountain sling.
Posted By: ChipM Re: your backpack hunting rifle? - 12/31/12
My current one is a Weatherby ss carbine in 7mm-08 w/B&C Stock and 2x7 leupy, gun all up weighs 6lb 15 oz. I just bought another 7mm-08 off the fire here which may replace it. Rem 600, Rem mountain rifle barrel cut to 21", Mickey edge, bare its 5 lb 4 oz, see what happens when I scope. So far w/o firing a shot, it feels like it could be the replacement to the one I have carried for a few years.

Here's the Weatherby

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gddir Re: your backpack hunting rifle? - 12/31/12
Just a run of the mill Ruger in a zytel stock, stainless, in 30.06. 17yrs. in the timber, and it'll hold its own with anything else that's showed up. Course I'm partial!
G
didn't we have this thread last year? cabin fever must be setting in! here's mine:

[Linked Image]

- mexican mauser action
- .308 remington barrel cut to 16.25
- bansner / high tech specialties stock (wouldn't do that again)
- streamlight tlr3
- xs rear ghost ring / remington ramp front
- leupold fixed 2.5x in leupold QD rings
- custom length VCAS sling
- cerakote stock and metal work by Sawtooth Rifles
- 7.25 lb without ammo
Posted By: Big_W Re: your backpack hunting rifle? - 12/31/12
Yeah, it comes up two or three times a year.

Here are all mine, I have way to many but each has a specific purpose and I cant decided to get rid of any:

[Linked Image]

Winchester Model 70 300 WSM, McMillan edge, 23" barrel. VX-3 3.5-10x40 cds, 7.5 lbs

Kimber Montana 243, VX-i 2-7x33, 5 lbs 13 ozs,

Remington 700 Titanium 308 win, MPI thumbhole stock, Mt rifle take off barrel, Timmeny trigger, Sako extractor, VX-2 3-9x40(not shown), 5 lbs 12oz's,

Remington Model 7 custom KS 350 rem mag, VX-3 2.5-8x36, 6lbs 7 ozs

Marlin 444XLR, xs scout rail, Bushnell red dot, barrel cut to 18.5", 7.5 lbs

Winchester 94 trapper 357 mag, scout rail, ghost rings sights, 5.75 lbs, rambling gun
Originally Posted by evanhill

- bansner / high tech specialties stock (wouldn't do that again)

Hmmmm, interesting, I have three Bansners currently being installed on a re-chambered Brno 21H rifle, now a .280 Rem. and another on an HVA re-tubed with a fwt. Kreiger to .280 Rem.

The third Bansner, I bought used and it is going on a mint F.I.E. "Musketeer" FN in .308Norma, that a friend gave me. I got some Blackburn BM to replace that ghastly alloy stuff that was factory issue when these otherwise very fine rifles were made and I think that it will come out a nice piece, with Talley screw QDs holding one of my old, tested and true Leupy Vari-X-III scopes, a 3.5x10x50.

So, given my respect for your opinions on such matters and gear in general, I would appreciate knowing why you are not keen on these stocks, after using one?

I don't care for the thick pistol grip, but, generally I like the geometry of these and the price was "right". I cannot afford a Micky Edge on every rifle I own and thot that these and perhaps an MPI or two might be decent alternatives.
Kute, I think the best way to describe the Bansnser I got is "stock blank", not "stock". In all fairness, they sell them for stock blank prices. The front action screw hole was .25" off. I called them and they recommended drifting and filling to get it lined up. There was also a *lot* of cutting and filling required to get it to fit my action. Fair amount of sanding to take off all the rough edges and seams too. The forend had a lot of flex until a carbon fiber arrow got inlaid into it. If the stock is going right to a gunsmith who is going to do a lot of custom bedding and rework regardless of what stock they start with, the Bansner makes good sense. If the goal is a stock that is good to go with maybe some minor fitting, I'd look elsewhere. Perhaps it just is what it is with a Mauser (as opposed to Remington or whatever) action.
Posted By: jonz Re: your backpack hunting rifle? - 01/02/13
Your Mauser action is a small ring intermediate length, which is why the Bansner stock (large ring, standard length) didn't fit.
Originally Posted by jonz
Your Mauser action is a small ring intermediate length, which is why the Bansner stock (large ring, standard length) didn't fit.

That probably didn't help matters much. IIRC the Mexican Mauser was slightly shorter as it was designed for the 7x57, not the longer German 8mm. I knew the action rings were of a smaller diameter, and, as such, a bit lighter. This is why Cooper favored the Mex mauser for a Scout build.

I guess the ultimate "hunting mauser" would be to find a G33-40 that had already been sporterized, as that was a light as mausers ever got, I believe.
The best way to do that, is to find a Brno 21/22 series "donnor",especially one of the very rare "roundbolt" late models.

Finish that nothing made will excel, small ring REAL "Patterne 98", both roundtop and very desirable double flattops, cut for excellent rings that Talley makes and all the bells and whistles.

I like to install a new Oberndorf style bolt handle, three pos. safety, Lapour, Satterlee and even Dakotas are nice, then change the usual DST as I hate the buggers to, the ONE-stage old FN trigger and change the bottom metal and follower.

This costs LESS than all the work you need to do on a VZ or G-33 and you then have a superior light Mauser action to work with. They are not as common as beater P-64s, but, I and several guys I know find them regularly and build on them, I like .280Rems. on them, but,have seen a .338WM and now a 9,3x64B.

G-33s are VERY rare here and a finished one will set you back some major coin, say $2500.00, where I can mod a 21H for a few bucks and their only issue is the off-standard barrel threads easy to have fixed.

BTW, the 7x57 and it's progenitor, the 8x57J and later, 8x57JS cartridges are the SAME length, the case is the same one. The only difference might be a slightly longer cartridge due to a specific bullet loaded, however, the magazines for both are identical in Mauser rifles.
[Linked Image]

Wife's Mexican Mauser. 6.5X55 done by Jay Frazier the guide gunsmith from Delta Junction. He is retired right now but the gun is good just got to put scope on it.

Weighs right at 6lbs without scope. 22 inch barrel.

Sincerely,
Thomas
Thanks Kute, obviously I need to read up on mausers a bit.

I knew 33/40's were crazy expensive if they were still in military trim, a local dealer has a beat up one for 2K.
Nice rifle Thomas. A 6.5x55 is just about the perfect rifle for a lady, or anyone else.
You can find a "donnor" Brno 21/22 for $8-900 and spend $5-600 on it, trigger, 3-pos safety installed and change the bottom metal follower to the solid Mauser steel type and you then have the finest bolt action ever made...and, yes, I own original Oberndorf sporters, so know this from experience.

With a $350 barrel, $550 Micky Edge and a few hundred for installing these, plus Talley QDs at less than a C note and a Leupy at say $3-400, you have a rifle that will last your lifetime and work like dambusters and weigh 7.5 lbs, in .30-06, or a chambering based on that case.

$3000.00 or so, all in, not a lot by today's standards, I have several of these and several of the large ring ZG-47s done this way and I now almost never use my collection of custom P-64 Mod.70s, as the Brnos are just so fine a light hunting piece.

Yes, guys, that little rifle in 6.5x55 is a REAL GEM, I would love to own it and most of us are well served by such a piece, IMHO.
Originally Posted by jonz

Now it all makes sense! It would have been very nice if, when they were careful to ask what kind of Mauser action I had and I was careful to tell them precisely, they had told me how far off the stock was going to be.
http://s827.beta.photobucket.com/user/irfubar/media/IMG_1052.jpg.html
700 ti 270,Leupold 6x42 with cds
Cerracoated graphite black
[Linked Image]
Now that is a fine looking little rifle!
Winchester model 70 270 Win Sporter in a featherweight stock painted by Ric Bin, barrel and action coated with Walter Birdsongs Black T, bolt fluted and coated by Karl Kampfeld, Vero Velini sling, trigger lightened to 2+lbs and topped with a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5x10x40.

[Linked Image]
That one's nice too... now can you post a bigger pic? I would especially like to see the paint job. My light weight needs painted and I'm looking for inspiration.
Last year I went out twice with my pre-war Model 70 in 308 Norma. It weighs right close to ten pounds all up. The last trip, I carried a Mauser in 8x57 which is just shy of nine. I'll confess, the Mauser was more pleasant to carry!
Most of the time, my rifle is carried in my hand and I am always trying to find the rifle which carries best that way. The big thing is for it to be slim and balanced. The scope is a big issue and I've been toying with the idea of a scout-type mount to get the scope out of the way of my hand.
In the end, I find, with each passing year, the biggest problem is that another year has passed and I don't get better; I get older! GD
irfubar tell us about that rifles it looks sweet
ts300wsm,
Thats a factory Ti, 270 Win. with a 6x42 Leupold with CDS turret.
The webbing on the stock is out of a can of krylon.
It also has a PT&G firing pin and shroud.
Its also Cerracoated graphite black.
The scope mounts are early Weaver one piece that pre-date the Talley's.
700 ADL in .308 WIN
If Kimber Montanas and Remmi M7s came in LH I might have to get a second job.
Sorry but I take terrible pics but here go a few.

[Linked Image]
Carbon extreme in 300 WSM awaiting new optic

[Linked Image]
I think we all know what this is.

[Linked Image]
What I carry behing my house for vermin control.

[Linked Image]
This Marlin Papoose is probably my favorite rifle. I love it and it's affordable to shoot. Much better than an AR-7

There some lightweight 6.8 AR's I have and some other Carbon extreme rifles but I don't have them right handy and don't feel like digging for them.
© 24hourcampfire