Home
Posted By: pseshooter300 slumberjack bags - 12/04/12
Are slumberjack bags any good? Looking for any reviews.
Posted By: ironbender Re: slumberjack bags - 12/04/12
I've used a couple. They were heavy and bulky, so I would only carry them as far as the truck and not BP with them.

Other than that, they are a decent bag for the money.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: slumberjack bags - 12/04/12
I have one that is a summer weight/temperature range bag. It's twice as heavy as my down back packing bag. But it was 1/3 the price and it will keep me just as warm as the much lighter bag will. E
Posted By: conrad101st Re: slumberjack bags - 12/04/12
I've had one since 1989. It's in the car trunk and gets used often when I'm car camping or on a buddy's couch. Not a bad a bag and I'm not going to freak like I would if I burned a hole in or tore my $400 bag.
Posted By: 406_SBC Re: slumberjack bags - 12/04/12
I've a zero degree bag that has served me well. Like other posters have said, it is heavier than other bags, but hunting from a skiff it's very functional. I'd buy another for similar use without concern.......
Posted By: Okanagan Re: slumberjack bags - 12/04/12
I have an Everest Elite Slumberjack that has served me well for several years. I forget the weight but it is under three lbs. and quite compact when stuffed. It was a steal of a price deal, and a friend liked his so I bought.

It is a little tight on my wide shoulders so I never zip it all the way closed, but I prefer to use any bag like a quilt. It could drape better also, though with age that aspect is improving. I've slept in it when the bag was wet through in places in rainy snow along the 49th parrallel above 6,000 feet on Nov. 1, and stayed warm though a bit steamy feeling. The coldest I've slept in it has been around 0 degree F, but probably was using tear open hand warmers to add warmth at that level of cold.

It is not a top of the line bag but this particular model is pretty good for the price I paid. I know nothing about other Slumberjack models.

Posted By: T_O_M Re: slumberjack bags - 12/05/12
"ditto"

I, too, have an Everest Elite. I believe it's rated to 5 degrees. I bought it in the mid 90s I think. I've never used it under 35 or 40. Its been backpacking a couple times but mostly I use it for couch-camping at friends' houses.
Posted By: evanhill Re: slumberjack bags - 12/05/12
My lightweight bag is a Slumberjack thermolite extreme super guide 30 degree bag purchased on sale at Sportsman's for ~$50. Actually very light and compressible and relatively wide as a bonus. I don't think it was ever quite a 30 degree bag and four years later its definately not and has ripped in a couple places. I'd still consider it a very good value when you run a "cost per use" calculation.
© 24hourcampfire