Home
Posted By: wdenike Trekking Poles - 01/11/13
I have had a back surgery, and a friend of mine has made mention of the fact that me of all people should consider a good set of trekking poles. In fact, he mentioned he himself doesn't have back problems, but the benefits of the poles are fantastic, even for those who are healthy. So I figured I would ask all those that do backpack what they consider the best ones to buy would be. I would be using them primarily hunting, and so does he. Thanks in advance.

Take care, Willie
Posted By: jasonkjasonk Re: Trekking Poles - 01/11/13
I did a little research myself lately because I too have heard great things about using poles and how much it lightens the load, helps your body, etc.

These seem to get the best reviews that I found so I picked up a pair and they are on the way. Not the lightest made, but sturdy and adjustable for length which can be good if many hills are involved (shorten them on the way up, lengthen for coming down).

http://www.rei.com/product/830471/black-diamond-trail-ergo-cork-trekking-poles-pair
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Trekking Poles - 01/11/13
Leki Makalu's without the anit-shok.
Posted By: Big_W Re: Trekking Poles - 01/11/13
Black Diamond ploes with Flicklock, I prefer the two peice ones cause there lighter. Been using a set now for 5 years skiing, hiking and backpacking, have never had one fail. I bent one into a horseshoe shape while skiing. I bent it back and I am still using that same pole.
Posted By: Greenhorn Re: Trekking Poles - 01/11/13
black diamond contour elliptic carbon
Posted By: ribka Re: Trekking Poles - 01/11/13
Another vote for Black Diamond with flip Lock

3 hip surgeries and still packing out deer and elk with help of hiking poles.
Posted By: kutenay Re: Trekking Poles - 01/11/13
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
black diamond contour elliptic carbon

I have used various poles since the mid-70s, starting with modded old downhill poles. I bought the C3s by Komperdell and one collapsed partially on me, while on a tricky bit of trail above Lynn Creek, here....damned near bought it.

I then went to the abovr BDs and they absolutely rock, won't leave my vehicle without them.
Posted By: mtmiller Re: Trekking Poles - 01/11/13
I have two pair of Leki Makalu's. Both continuously slipped the locks. Used Black Diamond z-poles this year....they are the bomb.

Mine slipped this year, but only when wet and some serious pushing on them.. I'm sure I could just tighten it a bit and it wouldn't budge. They slipped when climbing with this.. ~130lbs of meat alone. Probably the heaviest pack I've ever carried. I used a nice pair of Lekis this summer for a while, abused the hell out of them and they held up. Like the Black Diamonds el. carbon contours better though.
[Linked Image]

But a better couple photos of the Black Diamonds..
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Trekking Poles - 01/11/13
I just use 1 pole and I won't be without it. I find 2 to be too cumbersome when I have a rifle in hand. A 2d one could easily be carried in a pack, though, for use when needed.
I've learned 2 poles is like having 4 wheel drive in many places. Helps tremendously especially when carrying something heavy on uneven ground.
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: Trekking Poles - 01/11/13
I've learned 2 poles is like having 4 wheel drive in many places. Helps tremendously especially when carrying something heavy on uneven ground.

I totally concur, Bryan encouraged me to get some about a decade ago. At first I thought hmm, then I thought hey if this fella who's in super shape and works his butt off in tough country uses them then maybe just maybe this mid life out of shape older man (note I didn't say old...) who's had a bunch of knee work done could use them as well.

Some of the best advice I've ever had!

Don't go anywhere without them.

Dober
Posted By: Ed_T Re: Trekking Poles - 01/11/13
I usually hunt with just one pole but have another folded up and easy to grab. With a set of poles and Micro-Spikes, I can pack 100+ lb loads out of almost anywhere safely.
Posted By: Kevin_T Re: Trekking Poles - 01/11/13
I rarely use poles. I've even carried them for testing on a weekend backpack in which we did 9000 feet of gain. I would have gladly let someone else use them, they usually seem more hindrance, unless the snow is deep.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Trekking Poles - 01/11/13
Originally Posted by Ed_T
I usually hunt with just one pole but have another folded up and easy to grab. With a set of poles and Micro-Spikes, I can pack 100+ lb loads out of almost anywhere safely.

Same here. Usually on out and one in the pack. Love them for coming down steep/loose, and sidehilling in same. Even more so with a heavy pack. If just pounding out miles on a trail, I usually put one or both back in the pack.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Trekking Poles - 01/11/13
I can't help with using poles. But I see a few people every year in the Thorofare country backpacking with poles. I have no doubt they help carry a load. What I find funny is everybody I see with them has their head down looking at the trail and they have no clue of their surroundings. My pack string of mules and I have slipped up on more then one, even coming the opposite direction on the trail, before they saw me.

It is even better when they have poles and earphones.
Posted By: snubbie Re: Trekking Poles - 01/11/13
I have become absolutely sold on trekking poles over the last couple years, I carry two. Usually one is in the pack and the other in my hand. If I get in a rough area or have a lot of weight to pack, I can pull out the second one.

I use some aluminum Lekis something or others I found on sale for $50 at a local outdoor store.

This is one item where they all work the same way. Not sure if (for me) I could justify the cost of top-of-the line, high $$, space age fibers etc.
Mine are cheap Cabelas aluminum, something like $35/pair. They work but they have problems. If you hit a rock, they ring like a chime. Then if they're wet, the locks will freeze and you can't adjust them until they thaw out. The fun part, though, is they have compasses in the grips. I bought 2 pair. I can line them up and all 4 compasses will point in different directions. Highly reliable, no?
They don't all work the same. Some are far more durable than othes, and lighter. Have seen many bend over and snap the el-cheapo versions.
Posted By: Carl_Ross Re: Trekking Poles - 01/11/13
They don't all work the same. Some are far more durable than othes, and lighter. Have seen many bend over and snap the el-cheapo versions.

That's for sure. I used aluminum Black Diamonds this year, and the trip I shot my goat one started bending pretty good. I had to straighten it back out a number of times on trees. Would never have wanted to make that trip without them. I need to replace them, but haven't yet.

On trail I rarely use them, unless I have lots of weight or it is really slick. But for nasty country, they are fantastic.
Posted By: wdenike Re: Trekking Poles - 01/11/13
Thanks for all the imput! I can see from all that carry alot of weight that you all say it makes a big difference. I won't be worrying about carrying that kind of weight!!! Lucky I can still get help from family members. Just looking for more stability, up,down, and side tracking. Most weight 20 to 25lbs counting the rifle. And it seems they will definitely be an asset to own.

Take care, Willie
It's not just weight, it's the angle. Particularly when coming down a steep hill, they can take a lot of strain off your knees.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Trekking Poles - 01/11/13
Another reason is to enable you to stay on your feet. 2 days of rain followed by a cold front and a trail full of icy rocks and about 4 thousand vertical feet of gain and loss can be a tad dicey, even with microspikes.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Trekking Poles - 01/12/13

+1 ... Just started using trekking poles last year. Did all of my practice hikes with two poles. So, when it came time to hit the mountains for elk, using two poles felt natural. Another vote for Black Diamond with Flick Locks...
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: Trekking Poles - 01/12/13
+10 on all the positive posts. Trekking poles are one of the top outdoor products I've used in 50 years. right there with quality boots. The load they take off and the increased stability in rough country must be felt to be believed. I have a $50 Cabela's set and they have been through hell and back. I don't plan to be without them.

Double the above if you're over 45 ...
Posted By: Greenhorn Re: Trekking Poles - 01/12/13
Did it for over 20years without good poles, just a branch every so often. Poles kick ass. Wish I'd had known how helpful they were years ago. Good ones (carbon $$) are necessary, if you don't want to bust them, and be able to quickly adjust for the incline. Also, light is better as who wants to carry otherwise useless crap around..
Posted By: Shag Re: Trekking Poles - 01/12/13
Love my Stoney Point Monopods.

http://www.stoneypoint.com/products/mp_explorer_monopod.html

They have been very reliable. Tough. usually use two to pack into hunting area. Then one supports my shelter qand the other one goes hunting and doubles as a shooting and binocular rest.

Never met anyone yet that can out glass me. Adjust Mono Pod to desired height while sitting to glass. Y yoke make an excellent bino rest. One glassed for 6 hrs and produced a dandy 180+ inch Muley Buck. Would have never seen him hqad I not been so comfotable glassing.

Even the use of just one hiking staff is a tremondous help packing out meat. Provides excellent ballance and rest ability.

I never hunt without at least one. And two always go on overnight trips.
Posted By: ribka Re: Trekking Poles - 01/12/13
saved my ass many a time hiking on loose shale, wet branches and rocks, icy conditions.

Shot a buck in MT this year deep down in a big break. By the time I got him boned out rain and snow moved in and getting dark. Those who hunt the MT breaks know how slick they get in the rain. BD hiking poles helped me pack that buck out of the slick and wet breaks.
Posted By: Shag Re: Trekking Poles - 01/12/13
Mine slipped this year, but only when wet and some serious pushing on them.. I'm sure I could just tighten it a bit and it wouldn't budge. They slipped when climbing with this.. ~130lbs of meat alone. Probably the heaviest pack I've ever carried. I used a nice pair of Lekis this summer for a while, abused the hell out of them and they held up. Like the Black Diamonds el. carbon contours better though.
[Linked Image]

But a better couple photos of the Black Diamonds..
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Greenhorn, Is that a Stone Glacier pack that goat is in?
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Trekking Poles - 01/12/13
I've posted this pic before for other reasons, but it also applies to poles. Coming off that steep thing, a pole is invaluable for several reasons...not the least of which is that white lead llama. He has a habit of hanging his head over my shoulder and pushing me coming down. I use the pole to whack him on the legs to back him off.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: Trekking Poles - 01/13/13
Good to know! Llama-whacking abilities can probably be expanded to other species. I frequently vex rattlesnakes with mine when a better photography position is needed.
Posted By: Vek Re: Trekking Poles - 01/13/13
Black Diamond Boundary: only one length adjuster per side, and large tubes. If you take the time to cut what you don't need off the end of the lower section, you make them quite short, certainly short enough to not extend past the top of a pack when strapped on.

Price is right too.

If it's steep snotgrass or hard shale chutes, then you want an ice axe. 100CM works for me both as an arresting and walking aid, and you can get one from SMC.
Posted By: Bear_in_Fairbanks Re: Trekking Poles - 01/13/13
I don't care what anyone says, I think they're a waste of money. Use a walking stick? For sure. Cut the damn thing in the woods. If necessary, cut it at home & then take it with you.
Bear in Fairbanks
I know carbon fiber ones are the bee's knees, but the aluminum ones are good, too. Would rather have cheap aluminum ones than a cut stick.
Posted By: ribka Re: Trekking Poles - 01/13/13
hard to find a cut walking stick with ergo cork handles and straps.
My point exactly. The grip angle means everything. I also like the shock absorber type of pole.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: Trekking Poles - 01/14/13
I have a pair of Black Diamond Trail Shocks with flip locks. Yeah, I know, a lot of folks think the shocks are just a gimmick and I wouldn't argue one way or the other. But, I like the fact that they are quiet and adjust out to the length of a walking stick which I probably use 50% of the time (packing the other pole). But when I'm climbing, it is hard to beat 2 sticks. Talus is correct, the grip angle is important especially when climbing and/or descending.
Posted By: snubbie Re: Trekking Poles - 01/14/13
Originally Posted by Bear_in_Fairbanks
I don't care what anyone says, I think they're a waste of money. Use a walking stick? For sure. Cut the damn thing in the woods. If necessary, cut it at home & then take it with you.
Bear in Fairbanks

You've mentioned this several times. Why don't you go to Wallyworld, gamble $15 and try them out. If you hate them, give 'em to the local boy scouts, heck you're out $15 and proved your point.

If you REALLY try them out I bet you'll soon be shopping for some "better" ones.
Posted By: snubbie Re: Trekking Poles - 01/14/13
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
[Linked Image]

Every time I look at this photo it makes me smile!
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Trekking Poles - 01/14/13
Black Diamond. Can't remember the model. Elliptically shaped. Designed for heavy guys like me. Used them since 2007. Great poles.
Posted By: Bear_in_Fairbanks Re: Trekking Poles - 01/14/13
Originally Posted by snubbie
Bear in Fairbanks

You've mentioned this several times. Why don't you go to Wallyworld, gamble $15 and try them out. If you hate them, give 'em to the local boy scouts, heck you're out $15 and proved your point.

If you REALLY try them out I bet you'll soon be shopping for some "better" ones.

1. I don't shop Wallyworld.
2. Ya gets what ya pays for.
3. I knew I'd snap somebody's undies with that comment.
B.I.F.
Posted By: ranger1 Re: Trekking Poles - 01/14/13
Tried some out after reading this post. I had previously figured they were just hippy gear, but after seeing that some whose opinions I trust are using them I thought I'd give them a shot. I had a set of cheap Cabelas poles that came with a set of snowshoes. After having used them for about 5 hours of showshoeing yesterday, I can say that I am a fan. No mountains over here, but steep hillsides were much more easily traversed and overall exertion seemed lower. Now to get a set with adjustment that is more reliable.
Posted By: jpb Re: Trekking Poles - 01/14/13
Originally Posted by AB2506
Black Diamond. Can't remember the model. Elliptically shaped. Designed for heavy guys like me. Used them since 2007. Great poles.

AB2506:

I have been considering a set of Black Diamond trekking poles, and I would sure like to know which model you are happy with since there is a wide range in prices.

If you CLICK HERE, you will see that Black Diamond makes 4 different eliptical trekking poles.

Could I trouble you to click the link and see if you can identify the poles that you have, then post back here to let me (and perhaps others) know please?

Thanks in advance,

John
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Trekking Poles - 01/15/13
I see that Black Diamonds are 'elliptical'. Does that help reduce wind resistance for high speed elk chases? grin
Posted By: NathanL Re: Trekking Poles - 01/15/13
It keeps the different sections from rotating inside another.
Posted By: snubbie Re: Trekking Poles - 01/15/13
Bear in Fairbanks

B.I.F.

yep
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: Trekking Poles - 01/15/13
Costco recently had trekkers similar to my Cabela's for about $25 I think. I know the shock absorbers sound like a gimmic or weak link, but I like them. Are poles noisy? Not as noisy as me faling down the damn hill. If you need poles you are making noise anyway. If you don't you can fold them up and pack them.
Posted By: Greenhorn Re: Trekking Poles - 01/15/13
Been hunting and "cutting sticks" for 30 years. Didn't buy a pair till this year, and it was money well spent. To each their own. Easy to get around fast in rocky cliffs and a backpack in 4WD, easy to skip across wet rocks and tangled deadfall while crossing a creek with a heavy pack and poles. I spent around 40 days using my poles this year, a relief of a purchase, long overdue. Also saw a guy fold over a [bleep] brand new pair in 4 hrs, first time using them.

I don't care what anybody says.. laugh
Posted By: Anjin Re: Trekking Poles - 01/15/13
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Costco recently had trekkers similar to my Cabela's for about $25 I think. I know the shock absorbers sound like a gimmic or weak link, but I like them. Are poles noisy? Not as noisy as me faling down the damn hill. If you need poles you are making noise anyway. If you don't you can fold them up and pack them.

I have these too and like them.
Posted By: Kevin_T Re: Trekking Poles - 01/15/13
Bear in Fairbanks

B.I.F.

yep

I mostly agree with BIF. I'm not a big user of poles myself, and really only take them in ski / snow shoe type conditions. I have used them many times for testing purposes, and always found myself trying to convince someone else they would really like some poles to help them along, because for me I'm more than ok without them. Below treeline if I felt I needed something for balance, I'd grab a branch 9 out of 10 times.
Posted By: TheTone Re: Trekking Poles - 01/15/13
This year was my first using poles, I went with black diamond ellepticals with the shocks. Not sure the shocks do a lot, but I'm very happy with them. Really saw the benefit when I was coming out of some canyons this spring while bear hunting with all my camping gear, when you're tired and in the steep they really helped. Just picked up a set of powder baskets for them to get a little better use out of them while snow shoeing.
Posted By: BrentD Re: Trekking Poles - 01/15/13
I've never used them, but I do use poles for hunting pheasants on snowshoes and skiing of course.

What does a set of these poles have going for themselves that a good ski pole doesn't?
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Trekking Poles - 01/15/13
If you pick up a stick in the woods, you're getting what you paid for. It's big in the hand and heavy. To get a stick with strength equal to even a cheap pole, it's going to be big. For max strength, it also needs to be fresh so you get pitch on your hands and it's heavier yet.
There's no way you can compare a wood stick to even a cheap pole.
Posted By: Big_W Re: Trekking Poles - 01/15/13
I hiked with a "stick" for 8 miles one time on a nasty trail. I had a gnarly blister on my hand when I got back to the trailhead. There are a lot of sticks in the woods but I can never find that perfect one. A thick straight chunk of alder works pretty good if you shape it up with your knife but its heavy and does not have a carbide tip. I am just not badass enough to use a stick all day.
Posted By: snubbie Re: Trekking Poles - 01/16/13
Originally Posted by BrentD
I've never used them, but I do use poles for hunting pheasants on snowshoes and skiing of course.

What does a set of these poles have going for themselves that a good ski pole doesn't?

I'd say adjustability. Going steep downhill you can lengthen the trekkking poles and likewise shorten going uphill. Though not ideal, I believe ski poles are usable. I'd choose them over a stick.
Another plus to a pole over a stick is the wrist strap. It can be used as additional weight bearing support and when glassing the straps allow the pole to simply hang from the wrists. No need to lean your stick against a tree or your leg.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Trekking Poles - 01/16/13
I've used ski poles and they do work. The baskets get in the way, though, as they catch on brush & stuff. As Snubbie said, the adjustability of real poles is worth the money.

When I'm hunting I don't use the wrist strap. If I have a fast shot, I won't want to be messing with getting it off my wrist. I save the straps for when I'm hauling a load.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Trekking Poles - 01/16/13
I haven't read the entire post so forgive me if I repeat others.
Trips to Alaska proved to be the merit of at least one "stick" as I met a range called the Chugach. Since then one pole has been with me all the time. That has been carried over down in the lower 48 when elk hunting out west.

I just returned from a snowy and cold New Mexico hunt (posted in the Elk Hunting section). There I used two collapsible "sticks" with baskets. We encountered snow depths up to two feet and at various layers of compaction. Two sticks give better balance on snowshoes - at least for me. The collapsible feature is important in whatever weather yo are in cause different terrain, ie. going up or down demand a different stick length.

My AK guide carries a collapsible ice trekking pole. The little pick end has a variety of uses such as digging for a water seep, carving out a foothold and clearing the rocky ground for a smoother tenting spot.

You can buy expensive ultra light sticks if you want. But standard much cheaper sticks are plenty good.

Posted By: carbon12 Re: Trekking Poles - 01/16/13
Originally Posted by BrentD

I'd say adjustability. Going steep downhill you can lengthen the trekkking poles and likewise shorten going uphill. Though not ideal, I believe ski poles are usable. I'd choose them over a stick.
Another plus to a pole over a stick is the wrist strap. It can be used as additional weight bearing support and when glassing the straps allow the pole to simply hang from the wrists. No need to lean your stick against a tree or your leg.

I buy extra tall XC ski poles that I come across at yard sales, usually for less than 5 bucks/pr. Wrapping the pole with paracord below the molded grips allows gripping the pole at whatever height needed for the terrain. No real need for adjustability. The baskets are easily removable when not needed. Tying the two poles together top and bottom with several lengths of skinny bicycle inner tube makes a stiff hiking staff. Removing the lower tie makes a passable set of shooting sticks. Pretty versatile for what it is. I did pay 10 bucks for the last pair of Finnish made, high end XC ski poles. They are constructed of carbon fiber and light as feathers.
Posted By: Greenhorn Re: Trekking Poles - 01/16/13
I've got a garage full of regular ski poles. If I'm going to use a trekking pole, it's going to be extra light, stronger and more adjustable. Climbing a verticle rockslide with long poles is retarded, as would be crating out 150lbs with a armload of head/antler. I wouldn't pack an extra lb of poles unless they were the cat's ass. Otherwise, I agree break a stick.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: Trekking Poles - 01/16/13
Those are some great pics GH!

Dober

(remind me, which S&W is that?)
Posted By: Oldslowdog Re: Trekking Poles - 01/16/13

Nice pictures, GH.

I thought you were going to argue how much more beer you could pack in with the help of trekking poles.....

smile
Posted By: starsky Re: Trekking Poles - 01/16/13
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

And is that some kind of attachment on the MR belt for the holster to go on?
Posted By: snubbie Re: Trekking Poles - 01/17/13
Originally Posted by starsky

Dober

^This^ I'm interested in how that revolver's holster is attached.
Posted By: dinkshooter Re: Trekking Poles - 01/17/13
Originally Posted by starsky

Dober

^This^ I'm interested in how that revolver's holster is attached.

https://www.kifaru.net/gunbearer_mil.html

Scroll down, I think it is the 3rd item from the bottom. $13.
Posted By: Greenhorn Re: Trekking Poles - 01/17/13
Yep that's the holster adapter. I also use the Kifaru gunbearer, but they are pieces of [bleep] and break about twice a year, usually when I wreck with a full pack and a rifle attached. I bought about a dozen of the uppers, which is the part that rips.

Mark the pistole is a 360 Kit gun. Ultra light griz medicine.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Trekking Poles - 01/17/13

[Linked Image]

That is just like mine.
Posted By: Les7603006 Re: Trekking Poles - 01/17/13
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

[Linked Image]

That is just like mine.

Bullshit wanna be. Why don't u use your Montana as a trecking pole. Sorry I forgot you don't have one.
Posted By: ppine Re: Trekking Poles - 01/24/13
I use old ski poles for backpacking because I got tired of the adjustable poles slipping when they get sand in them. I don't hunt with poles, but they are handy for packing meat.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Trekking Poles - 01/24/13
Originally Posted by Les7603006
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

[Linked Image]

That is just like mine.

Bullshit wanna be. Why don't u use your Montana as a trecking pole. Sorry I forgot you don't have one.

PM incoming
Posted By: ppine Re: Trekking Poles - 01/28/13
I use old ski poles for backpacking. They unweight the leg joints and provide balance with a top heavy pack. They are really good for rocks and stream crossings.

Used ski poles are not adjustable, but they are cheap and never slip when you need them.
Posted By: Jedi5150 Re: Trekking Poles - 02/01/13
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
I rarely use poles. I've even carried them for testing on a weekend backpack in which we did 9000 feet of gain. I would have gladly let someone else use them, they usually seem more hindrance, unless the snow is deep.

This was me (though not that much elevation gain). I bough some nice Black Diamond poles and really tried to like them, especially since one of my knees is not in great shape and acts up on downhills. I just can't seem to use them. Poles are too much of a hinderence for me. Of course part of that is I constantly hike with a dog leash in one hand, and my pooch continually gets her leash caught up in the poles.
Posted By: ribka Re: Trekking Poles - 02/01/13
Poles for me are invaluable on Wet ground, snow , ice, wet rocks, around dead falls and packing heavy loads of meat out.

The flip locks have never failed me.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Trekking Poles - 02/01/13
Originally Posted by Jedi5150
Originally Posted by Kevin_T

This was me (though not that much elevation gain). I bough some nice Black Diamond poles and really tried to like them, especially since one of my knees is not in great shape and acts up on downhills. I just can't seem to use them. Poles are too much of a hinderence for me. Of course part of that is I constantly hike with a dog leash in one hand, and my pooch continually gets her leash caught up in the poles.
Try using 1 pole. It's not as good as 2 for helping the knees, but it's a lot better than none. I hunt with 1 because I find 2 to be in the way when carrying a rifle.
© 24hourcampfire