Home
Posted By: okhill Condensation in floorless tent - 02/25/13
I used a SL3 and a homemade roll up woodstove for the first time for a solo trip in the the Adirondacks in NY this past hunting season. Everything worked great except for no bucks being knocked down. The only issue I had was condensation building up on the bottom 18 inches of the tent walls in the morning.. I burnt the stove for a few hours every evening and it got down to 20 at night. There was no precipitaion during the 4 days, the tent walls were all dry when burning the stove. Is this normal or can I some how avoid this? Thanks. - Russ
That is normal,the solution is a liner like what Kifaru offers for most of their shelters
Originally Posted by timat46
That is normal,the solution is a liner like what Kifaru offers for most of their shelters

What he said, also more ventilation might help a little.
any single wall will do same.
Originally Posted by okhill
I used a SL3 and a homemade roll up woodstove for the first time for a solo trip in the the Adirondacks in NY this past hunting season. Everything worked great except for no bucks being knocked down. The only issue I had was condensation building up on the bottom 18 inches of the tent walls in the morning.. I burnt the stove for a few hours every evening and it got down to 20 at night. There was no precipitaion during the 4 days, the tent walls were all dry when burning the stove. Is this normal or can I some how avoid this? Thanks. - Russ

Did you pitch it tight to the ground around the perimeter?
I did pin it down pretty good to the ground. Do you think that added to the condensation?
Yeah! loosen up.
Sometimes setting up in the woods as opposed to an open area can markedly reduce condensation. Don't know why.
Posted By: Vek Re: Condensation in floorless tent - 02/27/13
Third mode of heat transfer - the reason wind machines exist in orchards - radiation. On open ground your near-ambient temperature tent fly is radiating its heat to space. Tent fly temperature reaches equilibrium at some temperature less than ambient air temperature, with natural convection heat transfer from ambient air pacing heat loss to space.

If the equilibrium temperature of your fly is below the dew point of the air inside or outside your tent, you'll get condensation or frost on one or both surfaces (inside first as it's more humid).

Overhead foliage shields your fly from the radiative heat sink (the sky), so tent fly temp is higher.

One side of my driveway is shaded by low cedar branches. If it's going to be clear on a late fall, winter or early spring night, I park my commuter car underneath the tree so I don't have to scrape ice on the windshield in the morning.

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Sometimes setting up in the woods as opposed to an open area can markedly reduce condensation. Don't know why.
Damn Vek, you are retard-strong but you obviously ain't no retard. I had to read that about three times before I got a handle on it.
© 24hourcampfire