Home
Posted By: BCSteve Kuiu vs. Sitka - 07/26/13
I'll start by saying I'm not a true backpack/mountain hunter but it seems that all hunting gear gets discuss in this section.

I've been using a couple of different uninsulated Browning Goretex jackets over the last several years but I'm thinking of updating my gear. I've been looking at Kuiu and Sitka. How do they compare or is it a Ford vs. Chev thing?
Posted By: jryoung Re: Kuiu vs. Sitka - 07/26/13
I haven't checked in on much Sitka Gear lately but I'm guessing that performance wise they are pretty darn comparable. Sitka has a much more diverse product line-up and wide range of combinations where KUIU has more limited (for lack of a better term) options.

Comparing the KUIU attack pants and Guide Jacket to Sitkas 90% line KUIU wins for me on price alone. To me that is the biggest advantage when comparing the two.

All that said, there is some damn good "backpacking" gear available from patagonia, mountain hardware and others that can often be found on closeout for a price that beats them all.
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Kuiu vs. Sitka - 07/26/13
+1 for non hunting brands. Camo is mostly for your perception and not for the animals. Bonus to buying non camo is that it makes the clothes useful for other occasions.
Posted By: BCSteve Re: Kuiu vs. Sitka - 07/26/13
Ok, let's say I was going to buy a solid colour jacket between a Kuiu and Sitka. wink
Posted By: kutenay Re: Kuiu vs. Sitka - 07/26/13
I would not buy either, they are over-priced and made in China, while some of the finest gear of that type is made here in Vancity. I have used a lot of gear of this type for many years here in BC and the BEST I have ever had is Westcomb, shells and pants made here.

Dull, green, grey or brownish clothing works as well as camo for rifle hunting big game and is as the above gentleman points out, also useful in other circumstances.

I know that cammo is "kewl" among certain types, many are seen on Granville St's "strip" and I kinda doubt that you would want to be mistaken for one of these characters. So, look into Westcomb and I think you will be impressed, especially, the "Neoshell" shells.
Posted By: russ_outdoors Re: Kuiu vs. Sitka - 07/26/13
+2 for non hunting brands.... Westcomb, Rab, Montane to add a few more names out there. IMHO the best rain gear is not made with Goretex or by one of the big name hunting companies.

Having said that, I am currently partial to Kuiu.
If you wear an XL or XXL top, I'd grab the XXL Guide Jacket (olive or brown) KUIU has is their outlet. For $150 you won't find a better jacket.
Why is it so hard to a answer a simple question without getting of topic? Thanks jryoung.
Originally Posted by BCSteve
Why is it so hard to a answer a simple question without getting of topic?

you already answered that question wink

is it a Ford vs. Chev thing?
Posted By: Huntr Re: Kuiu vs. Sitka - 07/26/13
I am very partial to Kuiu after having used both. I do prefer solid colors but would much rather support companies that support hunting.
Posted By: handwerk Re: Kuiu vs. Sitka - 07/26/13
BC, of the two, although I've had limited sitka items, I must say I've been very happy with the 7pcs. of kuiu goods I have.
Posted By: Ebby Re: Kuiu vs. Sitka - 07/26/13
KUIU for me. I own lots of both but prefer the KUIU stuff over Sitka. Both are good and both now made in China although KUIU is made through the Toray factory which is Japanese but the factory is in China. If you can find the stuff you want from Westcomb or Wild Things then those are good companies and made in North America.
Originally Posted by jryoung
Why is it so hard to a answer a simple question without getting of topic?

you already answered that question wink

is it a Ford vs. Chev thing?

Fair enough but don't suggest me a Dodge! grin

Thanks for getting back on track!
Posted By: Boise Re: Kuiu vs. Sitka - 07/26/13
I have a Sitka pack, you could imagine my surprise when I learned it wasn't water proof.
Posted By: claycrusher Re: Kuiu vs. Sitka - 07/26/13
I have multiple pieces of Sitka clothing.
I put it to a great test last year during a blizzard in Montana and was extremly happy with it.
Cold temps and high winds and not a problem.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Kuiu vs. Sitka - 07/26/13
I prefer my Kuiu stuff to my Sitka stuff (which was limited to the Ascent pants and some gloves).

Be aware that the kuiu guide jacket is a soft shell, not a rain coat. If you are looking for a raincoat, you are looking for the "chugach", which I have no experience with.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Kuiu vs. Sitka - 07/27/13
Have both. Like both. "For me"... the two pairs of Sitka Ascent pants I own are a little lighter, more breathable material than the one pair of Kuiu Attack pants that I own. I gravitate toward the Ascents in warmer weather, Attack for cooler. Have not noticed a difference in ability to repel water.

Have a Sitka Traverse Hoody. Really like it. soft and comfortable. Breathable. Have a newer pair of Sitka 90% pants, REALLY like those for the number of zippered pockets to store stuff in. Very handy. Have a Guide Jacket. Surprisingly, in the woods, the solid brown color blends in very well. It is a good jacket for mobility. But, need another layer under it for warmth when on stand or glassing below 20*F. So, picked up one of the Kuiu super down vests to layer in when not moving. Will see how that works in October.

Biggest issue I have is being 6ft and variable 220 to 230 lbs. Not all the variations come in size XXL or 42 inch waist. All of my Kuiu gear has a very trim athletic cut to it. Sitka sizing, for me, has been a little variable. Some of the XXL stuff has plenty of room in it. Some of it feels like it is the next size smaller mislabeled for my size.

I have gravitated toward Smart Wool for socks and merino base layers. Lower cost, and as long as it is a dark color, I don't need camo underwear...
Posted By: Chris68 Re: Kuiu vs. Sitka - 07/27/13
Own both, prefer the KUIU. Works great for sheep and goats in Ak.
Posted By: ehunter Re: Kuiu vs. Sitka - 07/27/13
I was backpacking in Nz last year we had 10 inches of rain in 3 days the kuiu was the bomb. What I really liked was how fast it dried and the stretch in material was great and comfortable. I were last fall hunting it rained every day I hunted it was good and comfortable. I don't have any experience with Sitka but I swear by the kuiui
Posted By: BCSteve Re: Kuiu vs. Sitka - 07/27/13
Originally Posted by cwh2

Be aware that the kuiu guide jacket is a soft shell, not a rain coat. If you are looking for a raincoat, you are looking for the "chugach", which I have no experience with.

Thanks, I noticed that. I was thinking of the Yukon as an all around jacket. Not sure how noisy it would be. From what I've read it's somewhere between the Guide and the Chugach. That's one the disadvantage of Kuiu, you don't know until you buy it.
Posted By: Ebby Re: Kuiu vs. Sitka - 07/27/13
The guide jacket is soft shell but pretty water resistant. It takes a lot f water to soak thru and it dries quickly. The Chugach is the best rain jacket I've owned. In the NWT I stayed completely dry both inside and out while my guide was soaked in his OR gore tex jacket. The Yukon should be a good jacket. It should be quieter than the Chugach and just as waterproof. I'm wanting to try it but can't justify the cost.
Posted By: BCSteve Re: Kuiu vs. Sitka - 08/02/13
I had narrowed it down between the Sitka Cloudburst or the Kuiu Yukon for an all-around waterproof jacket. I got the chance to try the Cloudburst at he store and although it looks like a nice quality jacket, the material seemed a bit fragile and too noisy. Might be fine for crawling on rocks on mountains and scoping out sheeps hundreds of yards away but not sure about stalking through moose willow and spruce. Definitely noisier than my current Browning Quest.

Going to see on the local forums if anybody close by has some Yukon gear that I can have a look at.
Posted By: RiesigJay Re: Kuiu vs. Sitka - 08/02/13
For the price of the Kuiu Yukon, you could get an ArcTeryx jacket from Moosejaw. Since you said,

Ok, let's say I was going to buy a solid colour jacket between a Kuiu and Sitka. wink

Then an earth toned Arcteryx should do the job.

The forest service trail crews that work backcountry in SE Alaska prefer Arcteryx raingear. Pretty much anyone with outdoor hobbies/jobs either uses or drools over Arcteryx. Oh, and they have a lifetime warranty, though I've never needed it.

If the product names are confusing, check out this link: http://soldiersystems.net/2012/11/26/speaking-arcteryx-2/
Posted By: Blackbrush Re: Kuiu vs. Sitka - 08/05/13
Have a bunch of both.

Kuiu is the way to go. Keep in mind that Jason started Sitka and then sold to Gore. He now has started Kuiu and he keeps upping the anti with every material and product.
Posted By: BCSteve Re: Kuiu vs. Sitka - 08/05/13
I really want to try the Kuiu Yukon but just a little concern to buy without seeing it first.
Posted By: greentimber Re: Kuiu vs. Sitka - 08/06/13
I bought several Kuiu items on the initial production run before they moved manufacturing to China. The Attack pants are very nice from what I can tell (never got to wear them hunting, just tried them on once for a trip to the range) but with baby #2 on the way in late September and my fall hunting effectively canceled I don't see the point in keeping them on the shelf another year. I also have the two merino shirt layers. I did wear them (the shirts) deer hunting two days. My deer hunting last season consisted of sitting in the edge of a field for a few hours (that's all it took :-0), so no wear and tear on them.

If you decide you want to try some Kuiu stuff at a discount shoot me a pm, Steve.

The shirts are the zip-neck long sleeve Merinos in the 2 different weights, by the way.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Kuiu vs. Sitka - 08/11/13
Originally Posted by RiesigJay
For the price of the Kuiu Yukon, you could get an ArcTeryx jacket from Moosejaw. Since you said,

Then an earth toned Arcteryx should do the job.

The forest service trail crews that work backcountry in SE Alaska prefer Arcteryx raingear. Pretty much anyone with outdoor hobbies/jobs either uses or drools over Arcteryx. Oh, and they have a lifetime warranty, though I've never needed it.

If the product names are confusing, check out this link: http://soldiersystems.net/2012/11/26/speaking-arcteryx-2/

Agree great product.
Posted By: BCSteve Re: Kuiu vs. Sitka - 08/11/13
I'm familiar with Arcteryx as I have a couple of their jackets. I also live 30 mins from their warehouse.

Anyway, back to the original question. After seeing the Cloudburst in "person" I decided to order the Yukon.
© 24hourcampfire