Home
Posted By: aheider Kifaru DT2 or DT3 - 10/07/13
Curious if anybody has experience with either one of these packs? Seriously considering one. Want to be able to use it as a day pack / meat hauler and 3-4 night trips.

Thanks in advance!

Andy
Posted By: HFlier Re: Kifaru DT2 or DT3 - 10/07/13
I have had both. Go T2. T3 is a good day pack, but not good for 3-4 nights. The T2 compresses down fine.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Kifaru DT2 or DT3 - 10/08/13
DT2 all the way, The T2 fills fast enough, Don't go any smaller.
Posted By: aheider Re: Kifaru DT2 or DT3 - 10/08/13
The high camp with some added pockets looks good too....
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Kifaru DT2 or DT3 - 10/08/13
Start looking seriously at the Bikini.
Posted By: aheider Re: Kifaru DT2 or DT3 - 10/08/13
I am.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Kifaru DT2 or DT3 - 10/08/13
I HATED my Longhunter and tried a DT thinking it was me and did not like the duplex lumbar pad again the second try. I would go with the T2. Good luck!
Posted By: 30338 Re: Kifaru DT2 or DT3 - 10/08/13
Carried a moose and a black bear so far this year with the T2. Love mine and hope to get some more DNA in it yet this fall.
Posted By: alaska_lanche Re: Kifaru DT2 or DT3 - 10/08/13
Regardless of the type or maker of a pack I have never regreted having the bigger packbag....just what I prefer. Air packs pretty light and I'd rather have the space and not need it than tip something over and wish I had the space and not have it.
Posted By: kutenay Re: Kifaru DT2 or DT3 - 10/08/13
I could not possibly agree more and I learned this many times back when the "Camp Trails" frame packs were THE "cutting edge" of what we could actually obtain here in BC.

I often chuckle at those who post that if you DO buy a larger bag, you WILL fill it with gear that you don't REALLY need. Believe me, wait until your personal "half century" mark is a distant memory and your spine often feels like a testing stump for the latest in "production saws" and you WILL NOT pack ANYTHING extra, maybe not even a spare T-shirt!

I like 7000 cu.min. for a hunting pack and I often have 15 lbs, total in mine. This, does not include my gun or spotter, on the few occasions when I carry it.

This, is why I am looking with LONGING at the new Paradox rigs and their 6300 bag plus "Day Talon" is perfect for what I am still capable of doing given the onset of serious issues from old injuries.
Posted By: alaska_lanche Re: Kifaru DT2 or DT3 - 10/08/13
Kute,

I knew I liked your style sir!!!

Yep just take what ya need and nothing more regardless of the pack you use. (except the occassional flask for a night cap here and there wink )

But really I haven't found that I overly load up my pack when going light at all just cause I have 8K cu in of space at my disposal.

I think it comes down to experience of knowing what you need and sticking to that. Maybe those that take more are just new to backpacking and feel the need to fill it up? I'm not sure, but I would never suggest to get a backpack hunting pack myself that was even sub 5K. So long as it compresses down well with a low volume even then who cares. Often teh difference between a 7K bag and a 3K bag is less than a pound. When you are loaded with camp and deer and have everything strapped to the outside of your pack going through the devils clubs and alders catching on everything like a Beverly Hillbilly you'll be wondering if that bit bag is so bag after all smile
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Kifaru DT2 or DT3 - 10/10/13
Yes, good info from kute and ak lanche. Especially in winter hunts, its important to have layering options. You never know when something might happen. This necessitates a larger volume and you can make key decisions upon leaving the tent or other facility. That promotes peace of mind to deal with any mini-crisis. That also makes you a better hunter. Many years ago, I'd have to hang or tie extra's to my pack. You end up looking like a two legged dumpster with stuff hanging out grabbing brush and branches. No more.
© 24hourcampfire