Home
Posted By: gwl hill people gear - 11/22/13
I have been shopping for a for a new pack and saw hill people gear and wanted to see what people think of them. I was thinking of a day pack but also looking to up grade my multiday det up
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: hill people gear - 11/22/13
I have a brand new HPG Ute sitting on the couch. I own the little HPG Tarahumara daypack. If you have one of those hideous Kifaru E&E's you'll unload it after using the Tara. I've stripped everything off of a G1 Longhunter and put an HPG packbag, harness, and waistbelt on it, along with their Tara Pocket and compression kit. You might say I like their stuff.
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: hill people gear - 11/22/13
I've had a Tarahumara for about a year and a half now and it's a great daypack. The Hills, and the people they've got working for them, are good to go. As are their products. If what they're making fits your needs, you won't go wrong with Hill People Gear.
Posted By: Jcubed Re: hill people gear - 11/22/13
Love the kit bags.
Posted By: DanAdair Re: hill people gear - 11/22/13
X2, the Kit Bag is a piece of gear that I use the [bleep] out of now.

It's the only product of theirs I've had any exposure too, for no particular reason.

Plus, Even was learning how to shoot a recurve, and he's too conservative to be a Republican.... That means I just like the guy
Posted By: smokepole Re: hill people gear - 11/22/13
Originally Posted by DanAdair
X2, the Kit Bag is a piece of gear that I use the [bleep] out of now.

X3 for the kit bag, and the set-up TAK mentioned has me intrigued also. I think I may try a G-2 frame and HPG bag, and a Highlander pack on top. Enough room for plenty of gear and the Highlander is a great day pack if you want a separate day pack.
Posted By: CreationBear Re: hill people gear - 11/22/13
The Highlander makes a great daypack/EDC, but it's perhaps better for taller folks for that application--if you have a shorter torso, the temptation would be to cinch up the lifter straps to keep the packbag off your glutes, but you need a little play to keep the shoulder harness draped well.

BTW, for those using a Highlander or Tara as a compression panel, definitely try to scare up an extra G-hook or two to use as a pulley on the compression straps--I think you'll get both a better "wrap" around the packbag, and maybe some extra cubes in the HPG bag itself since its circumference isn't being choked down.

Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: hill people gear - 11/22/13
Originally Posted by CreationBear

BTW, for those using a Highlander or Tara as a compression panel, definitely try to scare up an extra G-hook or two to use as a pulley on the compression straps--I think you'll get both a better "wrap" around the packbag, and maybe some extra cubes in the HPG bag itself since its circumference isn't being choked down.

I didn't understand the proper use of their compression panel until a few months ago. The G-hook should hook onto the side of the Tara/Highlander panel, then route through a Looploc (these are already in place on a Longhunter frame above the plastic triangles that the chair hooks to, and there is a nylon loop sewn to the frame about ten inches below that can be used similarly buy adding hardware. Then the strap goes back around the entire pack, including the panel and its contents, pulling the load tight. Just attaching fastex buckles to the side of a daypack doesn't achieve the same result. A "dock & Lock" system like Kifaru's requires a heavy codura pack with PALS and it STILL moves around. The HPG method bypasses the pack and goes directly to the frame.

With a G1 LH frame with KU laminated stays, HPG harness/belt, silnylon packbag, Tara Pocket with compression kit, mine weighs an ounce shy of five pounds

The Hills say the inspiration for this is the age-old Trapper Nelson lashing method that was used in days of old. It worked then, still works today, even better with modern materials. If you are the type that loads tools in the back of a truck with a hayfork, this likely won't appeal to you.
Posted By: CCH Re: hill people gear - 11/22/13
Great stuff. Thought I was out of backpacking due to back issues. The Hills let me borrow a Ute for our hunt and it went home with me. Great do it all pack.
Posted By: LostArra Re: hill people gear - 11/22/13
I love the looks of their gear but I'm lost on their website.

This may be clear to some but not to me:

>>When using the Runner's Harness, you would remove the shoulder harness from the Tara and the back harness from the Kit Bag, and the components of the Runner's Harness replace these things.<<

in one sentence we have:
Runners harness
shoulder harness
Tara
back harness
Kit bag
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: hill people gear - 11/23/13
It there is something about the use or application of an HPG product that you don't understand, the answer if most often contained in the thread on that particular product on their forum. Often many product listings will have a link to a particular thread.
Posted By: Jcubed Re: hill people gear - 11/23/13
Yup. TAK. Could you explain and show some pics of your set up with the G2 longhunter set-up? I have G2 lh guide and would be very interested!

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: hill people gear - 11/23/13
I've got a kit bag and an Umlindi. I've owned a tarahumara in the past. Well made, well thought out gear.
Posted By: remington79 Re: hill people gear - 11/28/13
I only have their kit bag but I love it. I don't find it to be too big, just right for stuff you need on hand without having to take your pack off.

The kit bag is very well made and thought out. I recommend it to my friends.
Posted By: gwl Re: hill people gear - 11/29/13
the kit bag looks great but not being able to see it in person made me wonder if it is too big . I am 5 8 and 170 (should be 160) so I was thinking of the runners kit bag as it looks smaller
Posted By: remington79 Re: hill people gear - 11/29/13
I'm 5'10" and about the same weight and its not too big. I like it because from looking it is a LOT smaller than the Kifaru Koala. I think the runner's bag might be a little too small for me. I may not always use it but I do like having the extra room that the kit bag offers.
Posted By: snubbie Re: hill people gear - 11/29/13
Originally Posted by remington79
I only have their kit bag but I love it. I don't find it to be too big, just right for stuff you need on hand without having to take your pack off.

This. I also have their tarahumara pack. Great little daypack that can be used as a "pod" on a larger pack. Thr kitbag can be worn alone or, with the harness removed, hooked to the shoulder straps of whatever pack you're carrying.

I love my kitbag. Its one of my most favorite pieces of gear.

And I'm looking hard at their Paradox. But that will require getting rid of a couple others first.
Posted By: DanAdair Re: hill people gear - 11/29/13
The Runners Kit Bag and Kit Bag are the same height and width, the difference is the Runners Kit Bag is missing the "gun" panel, so it's thinner.

The Snubby Kit Bag is smaller, and I'll wind up with one for rifle season.
Posted By: Ed_T Re: hill people gear - 11/29/13
I really love the Tara and Kit Bag. I had a Tara with Runners KB and Runners Harness that I sold a while back due to needing some cash and it wasn't long before I realized how much I missed it.

I bought another Tara and this time went with the Recon KB as it has Pals webbing on the front which leads to a lot of good options for add on's.

This shows a knife in a Kydex sheath, a Petzl Clip mount headlamp and a Fenix flashlight:

[Linked Image]

Inside I carry my Titanium .41 Mag in the gun compartment and a GPS, compass. mini notebook and pen and a Zebralight Headlamp in the front compartment.

The Tara and Recon KB are ideal for any day trips. I picked up another Runners Harness and really like that combo.

HPG is first rate gear.
Posted By: gwl Re: hill people gear - 11/30/13
Ed T do you use the tara as a compression on your epic or paradox frame?. If it would work that seems like a neat set up.
Posted By: snubbie Re: hill people gear - 11/30/13
Originally Posted by snubbie
Originally Posted by remington79

This. I also have their tarahumara pack. Great little daypack that can be used as a "pod" on a larger pack. Thr kitbag can be worn alone or, with the harness removed, hooked to the shoulder straps of whatever pack you're carrying.

I love my kitbag. Its one of my most favorite pieces of gear.

And I'm looking hard at their Paradox. But that will require getting rid of a couple others first.

I came back and read this and realized my mistake. The Paradox pack is not a HPG product but rather SO. One of those "duh" moments.
Posted By: Ed_T Re: hill people gear - 11/30/13
Originally Posted by gwl
Ed T do you use the tara as a compression on your epic or paradox frame?. If it would work that seems like a neat set up.

I haven't yet but likely will try it at some point. It would require retrofitting the compression straps on the Tara to 3/4" but that would be easy enough to do
Main reason I haven't is the Epic has a pocket style compression panel and the Paradox has the Talon compression pocket.
Posted By: SHTFCO Re: hill people gear - 01/08/14
Rekindling an older topic. This is really a neat setup. I use it for Daypack. The Highlander attached to my Kifaru Duplex Frame. Its Sleek and very low profile.

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums...e%20Gear/20131208_090125_zpsb36f0176.jpg
Posted By: gwl Re: hill people gear - 01/09/14
Stick that is a nice setup. I got a ute and will get a tarahumera soon
Posted By: DanAdair Re: hill people gear - 01/09/14
At times I wonder if Evan and Scott hired the same hippies that came up with "Lallapalooza Music Festival" to name their packs?

Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: hill people gear - 01/09/14
Originally Posted by DanAdair
At times I wonder if Evan and Scott hired the same hippies that came up with "Lallapalooza Music Festival" to name their packs?

IIRC, they are both anthropologists, not blue-collar hicks like you and me. We have to forgive them for that. I think the names sort of "sing" anyway. If you ever remember one of 'em, you always will. The indian thing is rather natural for a westerner anyway.
Posted By: hawaii5hoe Re: hill people gear - 01/10/14

The BRO

I refer to mine as the BRO. And as far as the usefulness of this bit of kit, I will be burned on a funeral pyre Viking style wearing my BRO when I pass from Gods green earth.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: hill people gear - 01/14/14
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Love the kit bags.

Me too!! The Kit Bag is my go to hunting rig. THe backpack stays in the ATV box all the time.
© 24hourcampfire