Home
Posted By: Rifles And More Boots ? - 12/21/13
Planning a backpack DIY hunt out west (Montana). Need to replace my boots and get some broken in before I go.

Looking at Schnee's and Danner Canadians.

Schnee boots

Danner boots

What say you? Are these good or am I overlooking a different brand?
Posted By: FAIR_CHASE Re: Boots ? - 12/21/13
Are you thinking of getting a pac boot and a hiking boot or just one? Pac boot required no break-in.

Take a look at kenetrek's mountain extreme and grizzly pac boots. The mountain extreme will require extensive break-in and mole skin will be your friend. The Kenetrek's have a more aggressive sole compared to either the schnee or danner.
Posted By: Rifles And More Re: Boots ? - 12/21/13
I'd like to just one boot for all.

Should I be looking at a "hiking boot" more so than a Pac? I plan on putting on some miles, if necessary.

-Thanks.
A hiking boot (10") with gators (e.g. kenetrek) and treat the leather with a high quality wax and you are golden. Just be sure to fully break in the boots or you will be hating life. The kenetrek mountain extreme require around 50 miles to fully break them in.

The Cabelas Meidtl boots seem to be quite popular although I have no experience with those boots.

Also a good idea to swap out the original inserts for Superfeet (or similar) insoles.
Also be aware of the fact that you could ask 10 experienced mountain hikers/hunters and you will likely get 10 different answers. Stick with a high quality well known brand and you will be good.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Boots ? - 12/21/13
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
Also be aware of the fact that you could ask 10 experienced mountain hikers/hunters and you will likely get 10 different answers. Stick with a high quality well known brand and you will be good.

FAIR CHASE;
That sir is the absolute truth isn't it?

There are so many variables when it comes to boots that I for one hesitate to respond.

Some of the variables include the physical condition of the hunter, the age, weight and shoe size of the hunter and of course the conditions of the prospective hunt.

Speaking broadly, as I've aged(51 now), I've found that I like a taller and stiffer boot than I used to use in my 30's.

I weigh 160lbs and typically wear size 8� EE boots, so that means that any given boot style in my size will be stiffer than the identical boot in a 14.

Lastly, any work boots I've bought that didn't feel great in the store didn't improve appreciably with time and that's been the case with hunting boots too.

When hunting our section of BC mountains, I'll wear Meindl Canada Pro boots if I think there's a chance I might be getting into packing meat in the steep and thick stuff.

If I'm hoping to plink a whitetail in a cut block, then my ancient and rebuilt Danner Hood Winterlights are more comfortable for sure, but don't offer the ankle support I might need anymore.

As a broad statement, I find that German boots fit a bit different than Italian boots - which I believe Kentrek and Schnees are and certainly Crispi's are.

While I've got no bad reports to make on the Meindl Canada Pro, from the Crispi's I've looked at and the Kenetrek's I've tried on in the store, I'd be inclined to look at an Italian boot next time - for a stiff boot replacement.

Otherwise I've been way more than satisfied with my US made Danner boots as have friends.

I can't speak to the offshore Danner or Redwing products as we've no experience with them.

Hopefully that was some use to the OP or someone out there this cold winter morning.

All the best to you all this Christmas.

Regards,
Dwayne
Posted By: byron Re: Boots ? - 12/22/13
R&M, Cannot speak to the Schnees, but I have grown to really like the USA made Danners. Minimum break in, and last several seasons with proper care.
Posted By: fuzzyone Re: Boots ? - 12/22/13
As someone who has a pair of Danner Canadians, I wish I had bought a pair of pac boots and a pair of real hiking boots along the lines of what Dwayne is referring to.

Warren
Posted By: T Bone Re: Boots ? - 12/22/13
What time of year do you plan on being there?

Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Boots ? - 12/22/13
I'd reccomend that you get used to living out of a pack in the summer mountains before you attempt a DIY backpack hunt. You'd have a much better notion of what footgear will work for you.
Posted By: Rifles And More Re: Boots ? - 12/22/13
Looking at late October/November if seasons are in the same ballpark as last year.

Plan on getting the boots and working them and my gear out this summer.
Posted By: CabinetMtnsGoat Re: Boots ? - 12/22/13
Originally Posted by Rifles And More
I'd like to just one boot for all.

Should I be looking at a "hiking boot" more so than a Pac? I plan on putting on some miles, if necessary.

-Thanks.

Definitely go with a hiking boot. Pick a good boot that fits your foot. Danner's don't fit my feet at all and I like the heavier hiking boots, such as Lowa, Meindle, Hanwag, Crispi, the next cool sounding 400 year German boot family to come out of the woodwork, etc. If you are sidehilling a lot or roll your feet, you ought to try the heavier built hiking boots, IMO better than Danner or other more traditonal hunting boots. After using many, the Lowa Tibet is perfect for me. Meindles and Hanwags were good for me, but Lowa's even better...You can plow thru a lot of snow with these plus good gaitors...
Posted By: setch Re: Boots ? - 12/22/13
R&M, I have both boots you are targeting, as well as the Schnees Beartooth insultaed. Between these three, all my boot needs are covered for various hunts at different times of year.

Based on the type of hunt you are doing, the locale, and time of year, I'd probably set aside the schnee's hunters. They are a great cold-weather boot and supportive, but I doubt they'd provide enough support for a backpack hunt, just guessing though. If you will be still hunting & stalking, then you could reasonably expect to get away with a boot that has less insulation, like the beartooth. For me, this boot is perfect - tons of support, no real break-in required, and extremely comfortable. I tried miendls on 2 separate occasions, and they just tore up my feet. If you want more insulation, you might check out the kennnetreks as mentioned above (I think they have 400g of insulation vs. the beartooths that have 200g). Guys love these and I myself would like to try them.

I have never done a backpack hunt, and I understand it is a very different hunt. But for me, my feet sweat so much that I cannot wear the same boots every day, I need to rotate & for that...the Canadians & the beartooths are a great combination. As for the Canadians, I really really like them. Like the beartooths, I can do 8 miles or so as I hunt through the day, and my feet are not fatigued at all. The support they provide is different, but I find it substantial and sufficient. I think what I'm saying is that if the Canadians fit you well and are comfortable (as they are for me), I would not hesitate with them. I will say that my canadians are a 10.5EE...and I never wear an EE. But with a full insole and the plastic orthotic that comes with that boot, the fit is great.

Good luck!
Posted By: TakeEm Re: Boots ? - 12/23/13
If you are looking at pac boots, I love my 12" Hoffman "Outback" pac boots. Laced tightly, they're rock solid for support hunting on steep terrain. With the rubber bottoms, your feet do sweat a fair amount you may want to have an extra pair of liners when doing multi day trips in any pac boot so you have dry feet each day.

The outbacks have an extra ankle strap for more ankle support, when laced tightly and fitted properly your foot is really locked in place. In fact these are more supportive than my stiff hikers I wear during early season, I'm sure the 12" height also helps there. Best boots I have owned, although I have never owned a pair of Kenetrek MTN Extremes, Crispi, etc.

http://www.hoffmanboots.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=13OB

Made in USA.
Posted By: setch Re: Boots ? - 12/23/13
I hadn't heard of Hoffmans, but those look really nice and the price seems reasonable. There are strong similarities to the Schnees.
Posted By: Brad Re: Boots ? - 12/23/13
Looking at late October/November if seasons are in the same ballpark as last year.

I'd do neither those. The Danner's are too soft and clunky as a hiker, the Schnees are strictly for deep snow, not dry-land hiking.

For a "one boot" you need a hybrid.

Here's the type of boot I'd recommend... it's a hybrid between a hiker and the insulated Danner:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Perfekt-Extreme-400-Gram-Hunting-Boots-by-Meindl/1632151.uts?
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: Boots ? - 12/24/13
I have used my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes on CO backpack hunts for the past two years and I have been very pleased. They do required a longer break-in period than other boots I've had but, for support and comfort, I can't image a better boot. Every foot is different but my Kenetrek's fit my foot like a glove. This past year, we hunted for a week in 12" to 15" of snow and they kept me fairly warm and dry.
Posted By: setch Re: Boots ? - 12/24/13

So what are you going to do R&M...tons of great input here.
Posted By: Brad Re: Boots ? - 12/24/13
Biggs, the Kenne's were pure torture on my feet. Far too stiff for me. Obviously not all will find them so!

Best.
Posted By: Rifles And More Re: Boots ? - 12/28/13
Well�

May have gone the wrong direction altogether, but I bought these:

Danner Boots and a set of Outdoor Research gaiters.

We'll see how breaking in goes and then get some weight on my back and work some hills over. If they don't work I got enough time to correct and you may see a discounted pair of boots in the classifieds grin
Posted By: prm Re: Boots ? - 12/29/13
All you can do is try them. I'd be a little concerned about ankle support on such a short boot and them rubbing the back of my ankle. Put lots of miles on them to ensure comfort. I used some Danner Pronghorns (400gm) two seasons ago. They were generally comfortable, had reasonable support but are a bit wide for long hikes. Last season I used some Salomon 4D GTX boots 4D GTX. Really happy with them - with one exception. Conditions were quite a bit worse than forecast, 8"+ snow and temps in the teens, and while my feet stayed perfectly dry, they were cold when standing around camp. Excellent ankle support and great traction though. Not enough miles to comment on durability. You'll want insulated boots for late Oct/early Nov.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Boots ? - 12/29/13
That's an interesting choice....

Tanner
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Boots ? - 12/29/13
Originally Posted by prm
All you can do is try them. I'd be a little concerned about ankle support on such a short boot and them rubbing the back of my ankle. Put lots of miles on them to ensure comfort. I used some Danner Pronghorns (400gm) two seasons ago. They were generally comfortable, had reasonable support but are a bit wide for long hikes. Last season I used some Salomon 4D GTX boots 4D GTX. You'll want insulated boots for late Oct/early Nov.

Only if you can get to a warm shelter at night. Wet thinsulate is worse than no thinsulate.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Boots ? - 12/29/13
Well�

May have gone the wrong direction altogether, but I bought these:

Danner Boots and a set of Outdoor Research gaiters.

We'll see how breaking in goes and then get some weight on my back and work some hills over. If they don't work I got enough time to correct and you may see a discounted pair of boots in the classifieds grin

I'd look at something a good bit taller.

Something like the Kennetrek Mountain Extreme or Cabelas boots Brad mentioned would be good.
Posted By: setch Re: Boots ? - 01/01/14
That is an interesting way to go, but I like the danner selection. Make sure you let us know how they break in and handle weight on successive days.
Posted By: Rifles And More Re: Boots ? - 01/01/14
Gonna take them out tomorrow looking for a doe. I'll let you know how they work out�

I was a little worried about the 5", but they seem very stable. I like them so far. But I'll let you know after break-in and with some weight on.
Posted By: Rifles And More Re: Boots ? - 01/03/14
So far so good with the Danners.

Went hunting two days now and put a few miles on them each day. Brushy draws and creek bottoms they have done well. I was worried, as others, about the low cut but they are very stable and supportive. To get to where I've been hunting I have to cross a disced field�an ankle buster if there ever was one with the big clods and uneven ground. Boots did well.

One of the complaints I did see on a lot of reviews was how it rubbed and bit into the achilles area. I could see how they could do that, but I have been wearing them with a liner sock and a heavy wool outer sock. No problems for me. Also, I have been warm without the insulation thus far (Wed was 19-36 degrees and today was 11 to 36). Mostly stalking, but sitting for periods of and hour or so.

Finally, I did wear my gaiters today since we had a little snow. I was happy with how they kept me dry and I feel like that even added some warmth(?). The only thing I did not like about them is that they were noisy in the underbrush.

Still a lot of break in left with the boots. Still haven't wore them under a load yet and done several miles of non-stop in them. Not claiming a victory, but I like them so far and they will be used here at home for sure...
Posted By: slumlord Re: Boots ? - 01/07/14
Ask a soldier that spent time in mountainous regions of Afghanistan if you want an accurate recommendation

Otherwise you'll be getting $500 Schnee snob who elk hunted from horseback and walked 300 yards to his kill and will tell you how awesome his boots were.

A Morton's Neuroma is all that more sweeter when you've overpaid for pair of online purchased boots reviewed by a league of weekend warrior lawyers and corp execs out for their chest beating tag & brag guided med-spa dream hunt.

Posted By: Elkmen Re: Boots ? - 01/07/14
On the previous page "fair chase" said get hiking boots and Gaitors. That,s been my choice for about the lat twenty years. Only TAKE two pairs one to dry out. My buddy this fall had the soles do his feet coming off in his $400 Gortex lined insulated boots. My choice, for easy days, ASOLO's with 12 inch Gortex gators. For heavy use, LA SPORTIVA glaciers, which I wear about 60 days a year, also Gortex lined and with Gaitors.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Boots ? - 01/07/14
I'm a pretty big fan of Asolo boots. They fit my feet really well. I've had several pairs over the past 15 years or so.

For a later season hunt, where there may be a bunch of snow, they aren't my first choice though. I prefer a taller boot for such use.
© 24hourcampfire