Home
Posted By: RockChucker30 Bino Harness - 02/28/14
What have you used in the past, and what did you like or dislike about it?

What is your current system?
Posted By: lewdogg21 Re: Bino Harness - 02/28/14
I use this and like it a lot more than the swarovski one I had before. It really keeps my 10x42's in place and they don't bounce around.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...ar-Accessories/prod99990135639/cat100084

Posted By: JJHACK Re: Bino Harness - 02/28/14
I used the typical elastic crooked horn system for a decade. Best game in town. However there was a major problem that hurt me many times.

Each time you jumped down an embankment or off a log, out of the bed of a truck, etc. they would bounce back up and smack me in the face. I was hit really hard a few times.

They would also dangle to the ground and bounce when stalking on hands and knees. The solution came more recently with the Alaska guide creations compact case. There is no elastic, they completely enclose the glasses and just work exactly as needed.

Leave it to a professional hunter in Alaska to create the ultimate means of using field glasses. These guys make two kinds, one has lots of pockets and is more like a small lumber pack on your chest. The other, which I very much prefer is the compact case. It will fit all the way up to me 10x42 geovids.

I will have another one of these in short order, another interesting use is just keeping them in there as the binocular case. The shoulder straps unsnap completely.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Bino Harness - 02/28/14
I've used a Crooked Horn for many years. I've never had the problems that JJHack's had, though. They work with any pack as long as you connect your pack's sternum strap UNDER the bino shoulder straps. I would never pay the extra $5 for the camo version BTW.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Bino Harness - 02/28/14
I attached the Crooked Horn harness to a small Fieldline pack to protect my bino from inclement weather.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Bino Harness - 02/28/14
Well if you have not had them bounce back up and smack you in the face, you have never jumped with them on!

The elastic straps connected to 2 pound optics creates a slingshot effect that will get you!
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Bino Harness - 02/28/14
I've always figured that jumping off of high stuff in the mountains is a good way to twist an ankle in a very inconvenient place so no, I haven't jumped with them.
Posted By: T Bone Re: Bino Harness - 02/28/14
In the past I've used Crooked Horn and one other called the binosock.

I've recently invested in an FHF harness. Twice the money or more, but it is on a whole new level of quality. Money well spent!
Posted By: HuntNRef Re: Bino Harness - 02/28/14
I use the Badlands Bino case (the $130 version) and love it!. I bought it when they were only $60 though. $130 is pretty steep. My dad just got the crooked horn magnetic closure case. It seems ok, but after using the Badlands, I would never change. It stays put, protects against snow and dust, and is comfortable. The only thing that could make it better is if I can connect it to my backpack somehow, so I don't have two separate shoulder straps over my shoulders.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Bino Harness - 03/01/14
I use the strap that came with my Leicas. Tried a couple different harness/bra systems and hated them all. A couple of buddies run that badlands system and love it though.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Bino Harness - 03/01/14
Kuiu looks pretty slick.

Kuiu Bino Harness

[img]http://cdn3.volusion.com/acfjk.stxhp/v/vspfiles/photos/80010-6T.jpg?1393257776[/img]
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Bino Harness - 03/01/14
Just found this one on eBay again. He does not have them on his website for some reason. These are made in America if that matters to anyone, In Utah

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Compact..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3685b19d
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Bino Harness - 03/01/14
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Just found this one on eBay again. He does not have them on his website for some reason. These are made in America if that matters to anyone, In Utah

Are the shoulder straps padded? They look like they'd interfere with a pack.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Bino Harness - 03/01/14
Not on mine .... just wide. They connect using common mystery ranch or kifaru type snap buckles. An easy conversion to have it connect direct to back back straps directly if you chose that route.
Posted By: FVA Re: Bino Harness - 03/01/14
Well if you have not had them bounce back up and smack you in the face, you have never jumped with them on!

The elastic straps connected to 2 pound optics creates a slingshot effect that will get you!

I've not cared for that aspect of them, either. They also start bouncing around a lot if you run.

Posted By: AB2506 Re: Bino Harness - 03/01/14

I wouldn't mind that new harness system. It looks considerably better than the harness on my AGC pouch which is a few years old. I wonder if Jaret would send just the harness?

I carry my range finder, blast match, couple extra rounds, headlamp and binos in my pouch.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Bino Harness - 03/01/14
I Emailed Jaret. He called me back a couple of hours later. Heck of a nice guy. He doesn't have any of the new harnesses, but he is sending me a new AGC pouch in True Timber.

I look forward to trying the new improved pouch soon. If not coyote calling, I'll be taking it to Africa in May.

http://alaskaguidecreations.com/blog/store/
Posted By: jaycee Re: Bino Harness - 03/04/14
I've wasted a lot of money on various harnesses only to find them VERY lacking. Then I found the Ultra-Light Bino Harness from Rick Young Outdoors. Where were these all my life??! They are AWSOME.

I always found the various nylon strapped harnesses very lacking, especially when I changed layers - if I had them set up for a heavy layer and took it off, the harness was too floppy and vise-versa, and it takes a while to adjust them properly. When leaning over, or climbing in steep or brushy country they hang down in your way. If set up for walking, they were invariably too long for driving and they flopped around.

The Rick Young harness is made of small diameter bungy, with one simple spring-loaded adjuster. At first I was very skeptical regarding the small diameter bungy cord - I thought it would dig in to my shoulders and be uncomfortable; or the adjuster would be uncomfortable under a pack; or the bungy would make for a bino sling-shot into the face, etc.. I was VERY pleasantly surprised - not only was the harness very comfortable, but they hold the binos very securely. And arguably the best part, they are instantly adjustable - now when you take off or put on a heavy layer of clothing, you can have them perfectly adjustable in about 3 seconds. Oh, one other awesome point - they only cost $19.95! I bought two, one for me and one for the wife.

Give these a try, you won't be disappointed. And no, I'm not an employee of Rick Young Outdoors.
Posted By: wildone Re: Bino Harness - 03/14/14
Originally Posted by cwh2
I use the strap that came with my Leicas. Tried a couple different harness/bra systems and hated them all. A couple of buddies run that badlands system and love it though.

I'm with you Chris I just couldn't warm up to the harness either.
Posted By: salsola Re: Bino Harness - 03/15/14
Originally Posted by jaycee
I've wasted a lot of money on various harnesses only to find them VERY lacking. Then I found the Ultra-Light Bino Harness from Rick Young Outdoors. Where were these all my life??! They are AWSOME.

+1. Good design and the best part is you can make them yourself for next to nothing. 6 ft' of shock cord, a spring toggle off an odd stuff sack, and two split rings and you are in business. Cost me maybe $5.00 in materials and 2 minutes to assemble.

My binos are relatively small and light and this set-up works great.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Bino Harness - 03/15/14
Originally Posted by AB2506
I Emailed Jaret. He called me back a couple of hours later. Heck of a nice guy. He doesn't have any of the new harnesses, but he is sending me a new AGC pouch in True Timber.

I look forward to trying the new improved pouch soon. If not coyote calling, I'll be taking it to Africa in May.

This have served me well for about 5 years now. Good guy who likes to talk!
Posted By: bowfisher Re: Bino Harness - 03/17/14
I just picked up a bino pack from Jarret. Initial testing is very promising, I think I'm really gonna like it, time will tell.
Posted By: scotts94_z28 Re: Bino Harness - 03/18/14
FHF Bino Harness is the best for me after trying a bunch of others
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Bino Harness - 03/18/14
Did you get the compact or the full size from Jaret?

I really like the compact design. Small and full protection with 100% silent operation
Posted By: Engine22 Re: Bino Harness - 04/02/14
FHF gear harness for me. I ran the Crooked Horn elastic straps for years and recently picked up the FHF. I absolutely love that my glass is completely protected from dust to snow.
Posted By: elkhunter_241 Re: Bino Harness - 04/02/14
I have used the Crooked Horn straps, the Butler Creek set up and my own modifications to both.

I just got my hands on the AGC compact today and already like it much better than anything else I have used.

Very quick and easy to adjust and if adjusted correctly, it does not flop around.
Posted By: ranger1 Re: Bino Harness - 04/02/14
I use the Badlands bino vault with a rangefinder vault on the lower strap on the right side. I can't imagine a better or more convenient set-up.
Posted By: Crowkiller Re: Bino Harness - 04/02/14
Originally Posted by roundoak
I attached the Crooked Horn harness to a small Fieldline pack to protect my bino from inclement weather.

[Linked Image]

I did the same thing, and thought I was original! It is a great way to carry full size binoculars.
Posted By: timat46 Re: Bino Harness - 04/04/14
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Originally Posted by AB2506

This have served me well for about 5 years now. Good guy who likes to talk!

I just got one of these in reg. size.I think it will be a winner
Tim
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Bino Harness - 04/05/14
Originally Posted by jaycee

I always found the various nylon strapped harnesses very lacking, especially when I changed layers - if I had them set up for a heavy layer and took it off, the harness was too floppy and vise-versa, and it takes a while to adjust them properly. When leaning over, or climbing in steep or brushy country they hang down in your way. If set up for walking, they were invariably too long for driving and they flopped around.

The Rick Young harness is made of small diameter bungy, with one simple spring-loaded adjuster. At first I was very skeptical regarding the small diameter bungy cord - I thought it would dig in to my shoulders and be uncomfortable; or the adjuster would be uncomfortable under a pack; or the bungy would make for a bino sling-shot into the face, etc.. I was VERY pleasantly surprised - not only was the harness very comfortable, but they hold the binos very securely. And arguably the best part, they are instantly adjustable - now when you take off or put on a heavy layer of clothing, you can have them perfectly adjustable in about 3 seconds. Oh, one other awesome point - they only cost $19.95! I bought two, one for me and one for the wife.

Give these a try, you won't be disappointed. And no, I'm not an employee of Rick Young Outdoors.
They're $17 if you order 2 or more. My partner and I ordered a couple that haven't come yet. Either I'll owe you one or I'll 'owe' you one. grin
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Bino Harness - 04/16/14
Originally Posted by 16bore

Those do look nice and handy, think I will order one.

Very good reviews on a couple different forums that turned up in a quick search.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Bino Harness - 04/17/14
Great info. I run a Crooked Horn and Cabela's harness system, but I lack element protection with both sets. Looking to find a harness system that protects the glasses from the elements a little better.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Bino Harness - 04/17/14
I e-mailed KUIU yesterday to inquire if their website was up to date on availability. Most of their bino setups are backordered but supposedly they get shipments in every 3-6 weeks.

I've also been using the Crooked Horn system for about 10 years. Most of the time it is fine but can become mildly dangerous when riding horseback. That and there is no protection.

Looking to avoid this...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Darktimber Re: Bino Harness - 04/18/14
I have tried several bino bras but found them too difficult when shedding/adding layers, especially while wearing a backpack. On the other hand I never liked that my binoculars flopped, sometimes onto my rifle scope. Or, if you have to crawl during a stalk, your binos are dragging the ground. After seeing Jaycee's comments above, I watched the video from Rick Young Outdoors about their Ultra-Light Bino Harness. That harness looks like the perfect solution for me. I had to order one, especially for the price $20. The video is here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kceBIK9_vjQ

Posted By: JSTUART Re: Bino Harness - 04/18/14
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I e-mailed KUIU yesterday to inquire if their website was up to date on availability. Most of their bino setups are backordered but supposedly they get shipments in every 3-6 weeks.

I've also been using the Crooked Horn system for about 10 years. Most of the time it is fine but can become mildly dangerous when riding horseback. That and there is no protection.

Looking to avoid this...

[Linked Image]

Jesus Sam...someone sh_t on your binoculars!
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Bino Harness - 04/18/14
Originally Posted by Darktimber
I have tried several bino bras but found them too difficult when shedding/adding layers, especially while wearing a backpack. On the other hand I never liked that my binoculars flopped, sometimes onto my rifle scope. Or, if you have to crawl during a stalk, your binos are dragging the ground. After seeing Jaycee's comments above, I watched the video from Rick Young Outdoors about their Ultra-Light Bino Harness. That harness looks like the perfect solution for me. I had to order one, especially for the price $20. The video is here:

Yup, just got a couple of these a month of two ago, and I've been very happy so far! Great buy, and head and shoulders better than the bra-style harnesses!
Posted By: GreBb Re: Bino Harness - 04/18/14
I have found KUIU's to be extremely convenient: light, comfortable to wear, and protective against dust or bad weather.
The best I have had so far.
Alvaro
Posted By: firstcoueswas80 Re: Bino Harness - 04/18/14
Ipi bino manager was awesome but I do not believe sold anywhere any longer. The badlands is also quite nice and is what I have converted to.
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Bino Harness - 04/18/14
Anyone running the Sitka Bino Bivy?
Posted By: SKane Re: Bino Harness - 04/18/14
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Yup, just got a couple of these a month of two ago, and I've been very happy so far! Great buy, and head and shoulders better than the bra-style harnesses!

Thanks for the heads up. The video on his site shows the twisting of a conventional harness and the rats nest of pulling the dang things from a pack - both of which frustrate me - as does the layering/on/off thing. Soooo, one is on the way. smile
Thanks again.

Posted By: 4th_point Re: Bino Harness - 04/18/14

Very interesting. I like that direction rather than a bulky chest purse.

Seems like they'd dig into you though?

Posted By: firstcoueswas80 Re: Bino Harness - 04/18/14
Ipi bino manager was awesome but I do not believe sold anywhere any longer. The badlands is also quite nice and is what I have converted to.
Posted By: jaycee Re: Bino Harness - 04/18/14
Originally Posted by 4th_point

Before ordering mine, I wondered the same thing, but have found that they don't dig in at all. I don't even know they're there, even when wearing just a t-shirt. In fact, I've found the Rick Young harness WAY more comfortable than the wider-strapped bino harnesses that I used before.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Bino Harness - 04/19/14
Very cool. Thanks jaycee.

Jason
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Bino Harness - 04/19/14
Thank you jaycee that was the info I was looking for, I shall order a set for myself.

Regards.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Bino Harness - 04/19/14
Originally Posted by SKane

Thanks for the heads up. The video on his site shows the twisting of a conventional harness and the rats nest of pulling the dang things from a pack - both of which frustrate me - as does the layering/on/off thing. Soooo, one is on the way. smile
Thanks again.

Yeah, pretty much all of the things they mentioned in that video have frustrated me before, using the traditional harnesses smile
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Bino Harness - 04/19/14
Originally Posted by 4th_point

Agree with jaycee on the comfort of the RY Outdoors harness. Because it's stretchy bungee cord, I find it doesn't dig in at all. And I LOVE that it stays as tight as I initially set it, without loosening over time and bouncy hiking.
Posted By: Darktimber Re: Bino Harness - 04/20/14
I got the Ultra-Light Bino Harness in the mail, and pretty quickly too. Typically I attach a bino bra, try it out a few minutes, and then put the strap back on. This time was different. This thing is a game changer for me. It did all of the things they show in the video. It is easy to put on and take off and very comfortable. I am concerned the thin straps might be noticeable after a while but others have not had that problem. It is neat to see innovation like this. Thanks Jaycee, and others, for the suggestion.
Posted By: Dagger Re: Bino Harness - 04/29/14
The Ultra light one looks cheap to me. I have not seen it in person but that is just the impression I get from it. Guys that have used it, does it bounce around when you hike because of all the elastic / spandex? I've had my eye on the Kuiu bino harness. A buddy I went hunting with had it. Can open / close with one hand, no elastic so it does't bounce around and protects binos well. I think it will be my next purchase.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Bino Harness - 04/29/14
I just bought an Ultra Light. The shock cord isn't nearly as bouncy as the elastic straps on the Crooked Horn. They'll stretch to let you use them, but I doubt they'll bounce as much. It's much easier to put on than the Crooked Horn, too, and MUCH easier to keep in adjustment. Most of the time I'll be using it, I'll be wearing a heavy shirt or coat so the cord shouldn't be a problem for me.
Posted By: azrancher Re: Bino Harness - 05/01/14
Sam, let me know how it works horseback. I just ordered the rick young and will report. When you trot, none of the harnesses i've tried are worth warm spit.

Fred
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Bino Harness - 05/03/14
Fred, I know exactly what you are talking about!

Of course walking around "trail" riding is no big deal but moving cows is a different story. They really can get bouncing when you move out. Hit the horn, hit your face...

Summer time I hold on with my free hand(when possible), cold enough for a jacket or coat I tuck them inside.

Curious to hear what you think of the RY.

Waiting for backorder on the KUIU setup.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Bino Harness - 05/03/14
Originally Posted by beretzs
Great info. I run a Crooked Horn and Cabela's harness system, but I lack element protection with both sets. Looking to find a harness system that protects the glasses from the elements a little better.
Do you sew at all? It's easy to make a bino bag out of waterproof fabric. You can have something that fits around the binocs as they hang on the harness or you can make one with side rings to attach directly to the harness, putting the binocs loose inside. You don't need to pad it. If you carry the binocs exposed, they're not padded either so there's no difference in protection.
Posted By: jaycee Re: Bino Harness - 05/04/14
Originally Posted by Dagger
The Ultra light one looks cheap to me. I have not seen it in person but that is just the impression I get from it. Guys that have used it, does it bounce around when you hike because of all the elastic / spandex? I've had my eye on the Kuiu bino harness. A buddy I went hunting with had it. Can open / close with one hand, no elastic so it does't bounce around and protects binos well. I think it will be my next purchase.

Cheap? At $20 I guess it qualifies as "cheap" as far as price goes, but it's well made. I think a better word for it than "cheap" is "simple", which it is - simply amazing. The elastic is the reason it DOESN'T bounce around. In my experience, in order to get a nylon harness tight enough not to flop around, it starts to get VERY restrictive and makes for hot spots. Nylon, or any other type of non-stretchy straps suck.
Posted By: jaycee Re: Bino Harness - 05/04/14
Originally Posted by azrancher
Sam, let me know how it works horseback. I just ordered the rick young and will report. When you trot, none of the harnesses i've tried are worth warm spit.

Fred

Fred, I think you would be pleased with the Rick Young harness, especially if you loop the lower straps over the objective lenses/barrels like it shows in the RY video. They are VERY stable as such.
Posted By: RockChucker30 Re: Bino Harness - 05/04/14
I've use a crooked horn and didn't like it much because of the bounciness of the elastic.

I have an FHF harness and like it but think it could be improved greatly with a some modifications.

I picked up the RY harness due to all the recommendations on this thread. It's better than a crooked horn, but if you're running or jogging it still bounces.

The perfect harness IMO would do several things well:

1. Stay put during jogging, running, horseback, etc.
2. Protect the binos while still offering fast access.
3. Work well and comfortably with backpack straps.
4. Easy on / off.
5. Lightweight

Still looking. I may have to experiment with my own version.
Posted By: rider14x Re: Bino Harness - 05/07/14
8Snake, I recently bought one of the Sitka Bino cases and have used it in the field a handful of times. I am really happy with it, but it needed some modifications. My 10x42 Razor HD's were tough to get into the case before I cut out that stretchy barrier that was in there. They now fit perfectly and I don't have any issues with them. The straps are easy to use and comfortable under backpack straps. My only complaint about it is the zipper. It is grabby and difficult to slide. When hunting, the magnetic closure is enough to keep the top closed and I only zip it shut when hiking in and out of the field in the dark.

I hope that helps.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Bino Harness - 05/10/14
FWIW, KUIU bino harness is in stock.

I ordered one the other day.

Looking forward to trying it out.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Bino Harness - 05/10/14
I'm using the badlands bino harness. I wanted full protection for my glasses plus easy access. I like the quick release clips on the bottom side for getting them on/off without somebody else helping.

They work pretty good horseback. I hated the elastic versions they were always bouncing off the horn.
Posted By: Backroads Re: Bino Harness - 05/10/14
FHF for the win.

No elastic bounce, one hand open/close, lightweight, good protection.

Paul will make you exactly what you want, like the perfect fit pouch for my Swaro LG, if the standard gear leaves you wanting.

I run a bino harness with a rangefinder pouch on one side, and a Garmin Oregon GPS pouch on the other. I can drop my pack and still have the important stuff secure.
Posted By: mulenbucks Re: Bino Harness - 05/11/14
Eberlestock is about to introduce a bino\pistol harness. You can see it under whats new on there web site. Bit pricey but from what I heard it can snap between your backpack shoulder harness or stand alone.
bino pistol case
Posted By: KLM Re: Bino Harness - 05/11/14
Just use a wide rubberized neck strap and tuck them into my vest, or jacket.
Posted By: forpest Re: Bino Harness - 05/14/14
I guess I'll jump in, as I found my binoculars which had been missing since November - in the pontoon boat! I didn't see any mention of S4 Lockdown gear They make a good bino holder.
For example only: http://www.hayneedle.com/product/s4...1-1&gclid=CN-b7Lr0q74CFQcSMwod81cAKg

or try google. There are around $40, but no chest beating, no sag, quick deploy, and they protect the binocs. I haven't worn them with a pack yet, but the straps are thin and wide, I doubt there will be any issues. I've tried crooked horn, Cabelas, and one other that didn't last long enough for me to remember it. I wish someone would make an extra large size for my Steiner 8X56 - heavy, but if it is out there you can see it. For that one I have used a VeroVellini heavy strap, and when on horse or climbing, I have used a piece of shock cord with clips on each end to reduce the beating on the chest.
YMMV
Posted By: catorres1 Re: Bino Harness - 05/14/14
Glad you mentioned this one, as it looks really interesting to me and was wondering about it.

The only things I question are whether it will provide enough protection to go without caps and also, there is no tension on the bino when you are holding it, something they apparently did on purpose as they call it out as a feature.

My understanding is that a small amount of tension from the lower strap is actually helpful in stabilizing the bino when viewing. Sort of a push-pull approach.

Thoughts?

Anyone used one of these?
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Bino Harness - 05/14/14
I've used the S4 Lockdowns for two or three seasons and give them a positive but mixed review. Like others I've gone through the Crooked Horn etc.

The S4 is bulky, comfortable and mine does have a bit of tension when binos are raised to eyes. That tension may be because I kept tightening and adjusting various tension points/straps to keep the top of the binos against chest and not tipped out. That took me several hunts to finally get adjusted so that the binos ride closer to chest at their top.

The S 4 top flap covers the binos but not enough to keep the lens really dry in Olympic Peninsula/Vancouver Island rain forest conditions. I have added a wider flap with cupped sides to my S 4. It is duct taped ugly and a little more bulky but keeps the eyepieces dry. I like the quick and secure surround flap idea but it needs to be wider at the top. A slightly down cupped edge on the wider top flap would improve it even more (if S4 makers are reading here.)

I use the S 4 often with a daypack and have used it with a loaded full size pack. Lot of stuff on chest and upper body but it works.

Edit added: In a gratuitous display of vanity here is a photo of the S 4 in field use on a pleasant spring day last week. I had just ripped off my wider rain flap covering mentioned above, and you can see the duct tape adhesive remnant on the top flap, as well as the gap which allows side blowing rain into the eyepiece lenses. Good unit not yet perfected IMO.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: forpest Re: Bino Harness - 05/14/14
Okanagan:

I suppose you used the duct tape to hold the bear for the picture? ;-)

I can see the gap of which you speak. My Minox 10X43 fit this case perfectly - no gap. (No picture with a dead critter either!) Which leads to your innovation. I might try that just in case. I have no tension on the glasses when using them - which as you suggest might be adjustment. I like the way the binos drop down when I unhook the flap - no cover to futz with, and no noise.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Bino Harness - 05/15/14
Originally Posted by forpest
Okanagan:

I like the way the binos drop down when I unhook the flap - no cover to futz with, and no noise.

Yes, I really like that feature.

FWIW the gap showing in the photo is way bigger than normal when standing so I suspect the bino cover is being distorted by the body position. Normally the top flap fits close over the eyepiece.

Re the missing improvised rain cover, one corner began to stick out enough to slightly catch the attachment line on that side when I released the binos to use. It was not raining that day so I removed the wider cover planning to improvise a better one.

The joy of duct tape!

Posted By: Okanagan Re: Bino Harness - 05/15/14
Further notes after reading this thread again:

1. I wear bino harness UNDER pack and often under my outer shell jacket. No problem or delay in taking off pack etc.

2. After learning of it here I have also ordered the spaghetti strap Rick Young minimal bino harness. Looks multi-use versatile and less bulky. Will improvise a rain cover! grin

Posted By: lagerboy Re: Bino Harness - 05/16/14
Just bought the Rick Young Ultra Lite bino harness. I'm leaving to guide for bear in the Yukon for a 3 week stint. Spot and stalk. Will report back with my thoughts on how the harness performed. Steiner Hunting 7+50 are the binos. A little on the heavy side but if this harness works with these binos it should work with most others.
Posted By: lagerboy Re: Bino Harness - 06/16/14
Just got back from my guiding stint in the Yukon. Here's a review on the Rick Young Bino Straps. I wore them 20 out of 20 days in the field. Both in the boat or hiking/stalking. They simply work. When on, you don't realize you're wearing your binos. The only time your binos bounce is when you do something like jump down off a cliff or out of a boat. They don't cut into your body either like I thought might happen. I ordered 2, and when the hunt was over ended up giving both away. One to a hunter and the other to my guiding partner. They loved them. I'm ordering a couple more. Hope this helps. Cheers.
Posted By: stomatador Re: Bino Harness - 12/10/14
Sam,

How did the KUIU harness workout? Dust protection would be my biggest concern.

Posted By: SamOlson Re: Bino Harness - 12/11/14
Stomatador, I used it 4-5 different times and give it a thumbs up.

Actually recommend, works great for dust or rain/snow protection.

And the cover pulls off very easily when you want it to.

Harness is mildly 'confining' compared to the old elastic Butler Creek straps but loosen it up a little and it's not bad at all.

Posted By: stomatador Re: Bino Harness - 12/11/14
Thanks, I think I'm ready to retire my old Crooked Horn harness and the KUIU seems to be the smallest of the belly pack type.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Bino Harness - 12/11/14
10-4, I should have said Crooked Horn straps, not Butler Creek.
Posted By: NTG Re: Bino Harness - 12/11/14
I had the Bushnell Deluxe Binocular Harness fall in to my hands and thought, try it out. It works quite well, actually. I can't compare it to other harnesses because this is the first I've tried. It beats any strap, and I've had quite a few.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Bino Harness - 12/12/14
Got to the point where none of them suited my fancy. Went with the bra and a homemade job. Worked quite nicely, and I hate using the metal rings. Knotted cord did the trick..
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: Bino Harness - 12/13/14
I've been using a Bino Pac harness for the past 2 years and it has worked well.
© 24hourcampfire