Home
Posted By: bwinters Merino wool base layers - 09/17/14
I'm looking to buy some new merino wool base layers. Some of the prices are steep.

Activity is October elk hunting in Colorado. Temp range will likely be teens to 50. I hunt alot in this temp range in a couple of States each year so I can get multi-purpose from base layers in that range. I adjust using various base/outer layers.

What are you guys wearing that is a good value - not the cheapest but value for the dollar?

Thanks.

Posted By: bwinters Re: Merino wool base layers - 09/17/14
I'm also curious what sock/sock system you all are using. Been using Smartwool but wonder what else is better.

Thanks.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Merino wool base layers - 09/17/14
I have merino from Kuiu, smartwool, and Ibex.

I don't notice a quality difference between them. I use the Kuiu 185 weight more than anything, and add a heavier weight top when it is colder. If moving/climbing, I'm usually stripped down to just that 185 weight top, and then layering back up when I top out or stop to glass. Bottoms are tougher to layer, and I adjust with puffy pants with full length leg zippers there.

For socks, I prefer darn tough over most everything else. That said, because my boots are mail ordered at the last minute, I use a poly liner and Carhartt boot socks (thickest ones I can find). The combination takes up enough space to get a good fit.
Posted By: tkinak Re: Merino wool base layers - 09/17/14
Check out STP for Ice Breaker and Smartwool, I vary 180 to 260 weight depending on temps.

Not too sound like an idiot - what is "STP"?
Posted By: 16bore Re: Merino wool base layers - 09/17/14
First Lite Chama Hoody is badass....
Posted By: Brado16 Re: Merino wool base layers - 09/17/14
Originally Posted by tkinak
Check out STP for Ice Breaker and Smartwool, I vary 180 to 260 weight depending on temps.

Im guessing Sierra Trading Post
That makes sense. Kind of funny, I was on STP when I posted that question. You'd think I would have put 2 and 2 together...........
Posted By: setch Re: Merino wool base layers - 09/17/14
For socks, I used to use smartwool and and have moved on. I use Darn Tough as my go-to sock for all outdoor purposes...they are simply indestructible. Recently I have been using the Dahlgren alpaca wool. These are the best/warmest socks I have ever used.
Posted By: pointer Re: Merino wool base layers - 09/17/14
For socks, I like the REI branded wool hikers. Nothing really different over Smartwool, which I also like, but they are cheaper.
Posted By: lostleader Re: Merino wool base layers - 09/18/14
1st choice - first lite
2nd choice - ice breaker (can find a deal now and then which moves it to 1st choice when happens)
3rd choice - everything else

Socks - Darn tough and if going cheap cabelas branded.
Posted By: B_n_C_Buck Re: Merino wool base layers - 09/18/14
Check out Minus 33.
Posted By: MNDan Re: Merino wool base layers - 09/18/14
I base layer Minus 33 from head to toe during hunting season. The mid-weight stuff is super soft against the skin and it never gets the stink of synthetics. Someday I'll find some Ice Breaker on sale and try that out - looks nice as well.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Merino wool base layers - 09/20/14
Originally Posted by bwinters

I thought it was an engine oil additive. Oh well............
Posted By: elelbean Re: Merino wool base layers - 09/20/14
MEC.ca still has a sale on some of their Merino Wool Zip-Ts. They're about as good as my Icebreaker tops for way less.
Posted By: Jude Re: Merino wool base layers - 09/20/14
Originally Posted by setch
For socks, I used to use smartwool and and have moved on. I use Darn Tough as my go-to sock for all outdoor purposes...they are simply indestructible. Recently I have been using the Dahlgren alpaca wool. These are the best/warmest socks I have ever used.

X2 first choice
Darntough 2nd
I am a fan of SmartWool's 150gm2 crew top and bottoms for those temps. A great buy can be had on "camofire" for the Core 4 Merino in the 190gm2.
I've been using smartwool for years for no good reason except I found it locally, it's been fine, but a couple of years ago I caught a sale on patagonia merino long johns and felt they were a major step up in quality and seemed to be even less itchy. Besides they were made in America (at the time anyway).

"Dahlgren" if memory serves me right (was 30 years ago!) this was the brand that carried boiled wool sweaters & jackets and other clothes. I only had their hat but talked to someone who had the boiled wool jacket and it was unbearably hot for anything but the most extreme weather. Thanks... I'll have to look them up.

Jerry

So much for memory serving me right... it was dachstein

http://www.bradleyalpinist.com/cart..._id=476&zenid=Knz1Odj5jwn1gv4KGFKS33
Posted By: timat46 Re: Merino wool base layers - 10/03/14
anyone tried this stuff?http://www.alexoutdoors.com/html/400_and_600_gram-_full_zipper-_monkey_paw.htm
Posted By: ihookem Re: Merino wool base layers - 10/03/14
Everything i find is $95 though.
Posted By: Tommix Re: Merino wool base layers - 10/28/14
Lostleader posted,
"1st choice - first lite
2nd choice - ice breaker (can find a deal now and then which moves it to 1st choice when happens)
3rd choice - everything else"

STP (Sierra Trading Post) is having a good sale on Icebreaker stuff right now. Their current eMail offer is 35% off plus a $20 eDeal on orders more than $125.

I just got an Icebreaker Tech long sleeved underlayer shirt for $36, a Quattro Full zip hoodie for $71 and boxer shorts for $15.57. All these prices are lower than anything I could find anywhere else.

This will be my first chance to try wool instead of synthetics at prices I can afford.
I haven't noticed a large quality, comfort or warmth difference between any of the upper tier brands that have already been mentioned. I just watch camofire and steapandcheap for good deals and pick up what I can, when I can.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Merino wool base layers - 10/29/14
Originally Posted by 16bore
First Lite Chama Hoody is badass....

Next on my "get" list.

FirstLite rocks. As does KUIU, and SmartWool. Can't attest to the rest.

Darn Tough socks are the finest I've ever owned and they have a "buy for life" (I.e., wear them out and they will replace them for free) warranty.

Of course, my wife is learning to knit. I am very much encouraging this.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Merino wool base layers - 10/29/14
I'm also curious what sock/sock system you all are using.
Thanks.

http://darntough.com

Guaranteed for life. The best & most comfortable socks ever.
Posted By: MNDan Re: Merino wool base layers - 10/29/14
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Thanks.

Thanks! Might have to give these a try. I like my Costco-special fake Smart Wools, but my feet always seem to get sweaty so looking for something different.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Merino wool base layers - 10/30/14
Originally Posted by MNDan
Thanks.

Thanks! Might have to give these a try. I like my Costco-special fake Smart Wools, but my feet always seem to get sweaty so looking for something different.

Darn Tough is PRICEY, but worth it. I've worn out SmartWools and the fake SmartWools, and had similar sweaty issues with both. I don't seem to have that problem with the DTs, and have yet to kill a pair.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Merino wool base layers - 10/30/14
I didn't notice any difference in sweat with DarnTough, but I do think they are more comfortable.
Posted By: eyeball Re: Merino wool base layers - 11/01/14
Minus 33 lasts twice as long as Smartwool before popping holes.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Merino wool base layers - 11/07/14
Originally Posted by MNDan
Thanks.

I talked to the man about sweaty feet. He said you can wear these socks until they'll stand up on their own, they could be stiff or crusty and still perform properly.

They may be expensive. But, it's the only sock I need in my hunting pack and I never even doubt they will do their job. It's a go-to for me.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Merino wool base layers - 11/09/14
The costco socks are definitely a "best buy". I love them.

I give my feet a blast of antiperspirant to deal with the sweaty foot. Liners help, but I've yet to find a sock that will keep my feet completely dry.

At $11.99 for a 4 pack, it's a sore dick.

I'll check out the Darn Toughs. Lifetime warranty on a sock? Sounds interesting!
Posted By: 22WRF Re: Merino wool base layers - 11/27/14
Columbia makes some pretty good merino wool underwear.
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Merino wool base layers - 11/28/14
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

I thought it was an engine oil additive. Oh well............

And I thought it was a band...
Ulfrotte over silk base for me. Smartwool liner socks under cabela's ultimax with my redwings are pretty warm and dry if you are still hunting. All rubber insulated boots still get pretty sweaty after a full day of use. Might go back to Sorrels.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Merino wool base layers - 12/12/14
I'm also curious what sock/sock system you all are using. Been using Smartwool but wonder what else is better.

Thanks.

www.darntough.com
© 24hourcampfire