Home
Posted By: Rifles And More ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/23/14
I am sitting down and putting my thoughts and pictures together from this years hunt, our first out west and first backpack hunt.
I hesitate to share. By some standards it was a complete failure, heck by most standards. But, the knowledge gained and time spent in the mountains was priceless. I will be going back each year from here on out.

If you remember (or care), the Original plan was as follows: 12 miles in from the truck for base-camp and bivy hunt out from there for two weeks. After careful consideration, that plan was amended to 6 miles in and bivy hunt for two weeks.
Well, as things go, our trailhead access was not what we thought it would be and the best laid plans of mice and men...you know the rest.

Day 1 - Arriving at the trailhead before sun up we were told that the road beyond where we were at now was �Really rough and would tear up your truck. Not passable.� Ahh, but we had prepared for that by hauling a 4-wheeler all the way from Kansas. Plan �B� was to shuttle people and equipment to the trail head about 5 miles away. 5 miles, three people at a time and equipment on a 4-wheeler, on a rough backroad, not very fun or easy. Enter Plan �C�, get at least half-way there and strike out on foot. Save as much exertion as possible.
By now it was noon. We had our party of seven and all the gear at the midway point to what we considered the start. Ruck up and go.

Immediately it was apparent that we had not prepared as individuals. The group naturally spread out and labored up the incline towards the goal. This was not going to be easy. About a mile in those at the front paused and waited for the group to re-assemble. This short stop will be known as: �Come to Jesus Meeting #1�. The weight of our gear, the altitude, the elevation gain and poor prep were apparent on us all. The solution was to shed weight and un-necessaries. Perhaps two weeks was too long. We dropped a weeks worth of food from the group and hung it up a tree. If we were to stay longer someone (the strongest of the bunch) would come back for it. This dropped weight off of some, but still people were reluctant to give up gear.

The march continued on.

Over the next mile and a half we paused reassembled and started again many times. Finally, we reached our trailhead about three o�clock. Paused for a group picture and decided to continue on to a small lake that was on the map and set up camp for the first night.

We had had our asses handed to us on the first day. And, as a final kick in the nuts, we reached the end of the road and found parked there a truck. Not a monster-truck-rock-crawler-beast of a truck...just a truck.

Day one was just over five miles (three of it on a 4-wheeler) and we were demoralized.

Road doesn't look that bad�but it got worse:
[Linked Image]

Some Scenery:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Camp #1 location:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As time permits toady I will get all this put together and posted. Perhaps it will save somebody else some pain�although I had to learn for myself.

-Dustin
Day 2- After a cold night where I think all of us had a touch of Mountain sickness (Had to force yourself to eat and drink and had a constant feeling of nausea) we got around the next morning and had what we will call �Come to Jesus Meeting #2�. We prepared poorly as a group. Inventory was taken and we had too many duplicates of gear.

Did the group really need four hatchets?

�Ounces add up to pounds!� was the new mantra. Once again gear was shed and stashed for the return trip.

Today was 4 miles to the pass, a 2000ft elevation gain, and back down into the valley. After day one, it was questionable whether it could be done. I dropped my Ed T stove (2.5lbs as our coldest night was behind us) and my flip-flops (which I later regretted). The remaining food was divided up among us and we set out around 8:30 with a feeling of dread.

The natural separation of the group occurred again on the hike up the mountainside. Up,up,up was all that was in front of us. Every bend and switchback just seemed to lead to another. Walking and pausing the front group of three made the pass at about 1:45 had a lunch, changed socks and needed water. Once the pass was made (elevation 9753) and the hunting grounds were in sight morale was high.

We started the descent down into the valley.

Having to stop at the first water source, we refilled our camelbacks. Taking a rest and feeling good knowing that the hardest was behind us, mother nature reminded us that we were not �out of the woods yet�.

Sitting in a hairpin-turn of the trail with bare mountainside above us, Craig looked up and said, �Look at that f@#%ing bear!� I turned to see a bear running down the creek right at us. ~50 to 60 yards and closing. Fast. Turning to grab the pistol that was still on his pack, I just watched it coming. As Craig turned back with pistol in hand the bear veered off at about 30 yards and angled away from us. You could hear its paws strike the ground as it ran it was so close. All I can remember looking at, as it ran by, was that hump on the shoulders. It was a grizzly.

We sat to let the bear clear the country and let the sickness in our stomaches settle. We waited about and hour.

I think the bear was running anyway. It was not a charge. There were some sheep hunters in the area and perhaps they had bumped it. We just happened to be on the same path as its escape route. As it came down the hill it saw us or winded us, and adjusted accordingly. It was somewhat reassuring know that the bear had the chance and wanted nothing to do with us. But it was also unnerving seeing how fast it was, how big it was, and how quickly a person could be in trouble. I had bear-spray and no pistol. I will not go back without a pistol again. It will just make me feel better.

We ended up sitting long enough that two more from the group caught up to us and we could see the others on top of the pass. We headed down into the valley to look for flat ground to make camp. We were very �bear aware� the rest of the trip.

Day 2 ended with 7.5 miles on the books and finding flat ground at about dark.

We scrambled to set up camp and anxiously awaited our last two party members to arrive. It was a joyous reunion when they did. Before we were completely set up three hunters with horses showed up and asked to set up next to us. Apparently, this was there usual spot. There was no animosity, and over the next few days we got to know them fairly well.

Pass Pictures:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Some sheep at the pass:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: EricM Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/23/14
Dustin, thank you for sharing your story. It's been a fascinating read so far with some great photography. I'm anxiously awaiting the rest of the story!! Some good lessons to be learned for sure!!

Eric
Day 3 - Day three started with a morning chat around the fire to discuss our hunting and scouting plans. Tomorrow was opening day. The walk in sucked, and it was questionable to whether or not we could get an elk out. Only a few of us might be capable, but that would mean multiple trips out and back to help.

The pain of yesterday was still too fresh.

As if to test us, someone said, �Look at that elk�. On the hillside across from camp (~206 lasered yards) stood a lone 4x4 elk. It watched us a few minutes and then made its way into the timber. The new question was, �Would you shoot it if it is there tomorrow?� Some said yes, some said no. Before it was over the consensus was that a trophy would only be worth the pain of packing it back out. Also, the point was brought up about having a carcass that close to camp, maybe not a good idea in bear country.

We set out to scout and find some fishable water. One of our party had come along to tend camp and fish, so we wanted to get him on some water if possible. The amount of country is enormous. We saw some sign on the trail, but it was overwhelming for us flat-landers. How do you even hunt this? Emerging from the woods we came to a few clearings that we decided to set up on in the morning. It would be a start.

We never did find water to fish on. It was all to shallow. We ventured as far as we dared and headed back to camp. Coming across two sheep hunters we were greeted with,�You must be the Kansas Guys.� That is how we were known to anybody that met us.

Backcountry word travels fast. Especially about silly greenhorns.

Returning to camp early after noon we set up for opening morning. We put another 7 miles on today. We would hunt in two groups of two. Our camp steward would stay behind with a guy that still didn�t feel well and one that got blistered up on the way in. They needed to get better before we could head out and agreed to take a down day or two. We would each set on opposite ends of the meadow till after sunrise and then still hunt around, basically making it up as we went.

The fire was built up for the night and there was excitement and dread about tomorrow. We still weren�t sure if we wanted to get something, and most did not.

One mean-looking scouting party:
[Linked Image]

Where to start?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

An old cabin we found off the trail a ways. I wonder how long it had been there and who used it?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dre Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/23/14
Weren't you the guy asking for elk hunting tips few months back? I wish you the best of luck and can't wait to read some more up dates. Beautiful country out there.
I don't know how long you have to hunt, but I would shoot any legal bull I see my first elk hunt. You can't eat them horns! plus younger bull tastes better, On public land, you just never know if you'll come across more animals or not. If you're complaint about packing out an animal...I rather pack out 300 lbs vs 400. to each his own.
Hopefully the info we gave you was good, but nothing like trial and error.
There is nothing like elk hunting, you're ruined.
Posted By: brymoore Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/23/14
I'm enjoying your thread especially how far you planned to backpack hunt for elk. I try to explain to new elk hunters that too many miles from the road on a BP hunt can be a major problem if you actually kill.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/23/14
Packing out 200lb of tender meat is a lot more fun than packing out 300lb of shoe leather with bigger antlers.
Day 4 Opening Day - On the trail before light headed towards the meadow. The bear encounter fresh in my mind, we made our way towards the meadow. Reaching our destination we went our separate ways.

Sitting with our backs to a tree my partner and I waited. Waited past daylight and saw nothing. So, getting restless we worked our way up the mountain. Craig led me through some sketchy stuff. Rock climbing hand over hand. The idea was to get around and see into the next valley. It didn�t work out, but the view was nice.

We made our way back and met our other group. No sign, no animals, no sound. We looked at the map and split again. This time heading east. Slowly we made our way up the trail gaining more elevation with every step. At one point we stopped and set up to do some cow calls. A shot in the dark. Not long after a few calls a mule deer doe showed up. She was very curious, not sure what we were. She watched, circled and winded us, but still did not run. After about ten minutes she walked off into the woods. It was a fun encounter. Gave us some hope.

We got up and made it to the end of the trail which dumped into another meadow. Ate some lunch, let things settle and decided to try some more calling with a bugle mixed in. The wind was in our face and we heard a ruckus behinds us. Something winded us. Turning around there was our doe again.

Something interesting we noticed: the woods were alive. Birds, squirrels, noise and movement. Once we hit the bugle it all went dead. You could hear a pin drop.

Now, earlier we had heard a two shots soon after we separated from the other pair. We were sure they had shot something. Every possible scenario went through our mind. Trophy elk. Raghorn. Cow Elk. Mule Deer. Bear Encounter. Clean miss. Wounded animal. Dinner bell for bears. We thought of it all, and it was on our minds. After the meadow we headed back to camp to see what happened.

The trip back was hot. All I had on was a short sleeve base-layer,orange vest and day pack. I was sweating horrible. That brought up the subject of �Could we even get meat out before spoilage in this heat?�. Based on our two days in and now being 11 miles from the truck; we felt the answer was no.

Back at camp we found the other hunters. The shots were not them. It was a relief. Our steward had a fancy watch that said it was 83 degrees out. Way too hot. So began another quorum. Can we do this even if we see something shootable?

Day 4 ended with 9.5 miles and a lot of question marks.

Some of the hunting grounds:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Day 5 - Our evening before was spent around the fire discussing our options. Morale was low, we were overwhelmed. True, we had asked hunting advise, but that was long forgotten. Each night we met the other hunters as they came into camp and exchanged sightings. No animals were to be found. They had seen a few cows (two and a calf), a sheep and a few bears but nothing else in the three days they had been there. They said, �Sometimes the Elk are just not here.�

We made the decision that we were in over our heads. With the lack of animals,lack of sign,the heat and the looming 11 mile pack out, we made the decision to take a rest day, bum around camp and head out the following day. It was (and still is) a hard pill to swallow.

The day was spent preparing gear, being lazy and hydrating. We also tried to eat like kings. Some of us were just now getting a normal appetite back. I went up to the hillside beside camp and did some glassing in the morning, nothing too strenuous. Never did see anything. Sitting there, looking down on it all it was picturesque. The tents in the valley, smoke rising from the fire, and one of the guys broke a fly pole out and was playing around. I realized then that this trip was a dream come true, no matter the outcome.

Some rain moved in in the early evening which made things a little uncomfortable. I was worried about the trail condition for the way out. Also, the sheep hunters we met earlier in the week stopped by on the way out. They had seen no animals, and had bear in the camp the night before. That did not set well with us Kansas boys. Although we had been very diligent about keeping a �clean camp�. Hanging our food, eating away from camp and burning trash. That first bear encounter still was in our minds.

It rained sporadically throughout the night. Sometimes hard. It was our goal to be packed up and on our way out by 7 a.m. Thinking it may take the whole day to reach the peak and we may yet again have to divide the trip into two legs with an overnight on the way out.

Day 5 was 0 miles and a long day of introspection in camp.

Camp Views:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Last Day - Up early and packed, we hit the trail by 6:45 this time we stayed together as a group and drove for the top of the pass. Estimates of our time varied widely. At one point I thought I might loose a friendship on the way to the top. But, we made it. And in good time. All the uphill was over by 9:30. Spirits high, we headed down the mountain knowing we would make the truck by nightfall.

One thing I realized though. We could have gotten an elk out. True, our packs were lighter, but only two miles up at a snails pace and the rest downhill...it could have been done physically. But, would it have spoiled? I think in the end we out-thought ourselves.

Stopping at the first campsite we picked up our stashed gear rested a minute and moved on. It was around noon now. We did meet several hunters on the way in. Some on horseback and some on foot. It looked like they were day-trip only due to the lack of gear. All had stories of bears and no game. At on point an older gentleman asked, �Did you dance with the bears?� Reminded me of Jeremiah Johnston - You skin Griz? We also met the game warden on the way out and had to show our tags. No big deal.

At mile eight we were back to the four-wheeler and ready to walk the last leg while the gear was ferried down. Luck would have it a couple of guys and a truck were there, willing to wait and take us down.

**To a person, everyone we met and passed were as nice as could be, always willing to help. It was amazing.**

About 2:30 in the afternoon we were back at the truck. Our elk adventure was over for 2014. Some have expressed they are willing to return, some not so much. I will be going back every year, God willing. Regardless, a lot of knowledge was gained. I have always been one to learn things the hard way (my parents will back that up). I will follow up with my thoughts and gear reviews over time. What worked and what didn�t.

Thanks for the listen�.
[Linked Image]

Oh yeah, we stopped for some trout fishing on the way home.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: iddave Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/23/14
That was great read buddy. I admire you for being so brutally honest about your trip.

PM me if you ever want any additional elk intel off-line.

Dave
Posted By: SKane Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/23/14
Really great reading and some cool picts - thanks for sharing.

You're in SE Kansas? I've spent a fair amount of time in that neck of the woods.
Posted By: Scottr Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/23/14
Great read. Very similar to my experiences in the Gila Wilderness.
Originally Posted by iddave
I admire you for being so brutally honest about your trip.

It is what it is. We had no idea what we were getting into, and were not ready as individuals and as a group. I researched and "prepared" for 9 months. None of it was like being there.

Originally Posted by SKane
You're in SE Kansas? I've spent a fair amount of time in that neck of the woods.

I am about an hour south of Topeka.
Posted By: smokepole Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/23/14
That was great read buddy. I admire you for being so brutally honest about your trip.

Dave

+1, and it wasn't a wasted trip because you learned from it. You've got to start somewhere.

It's easy to Monday-morning quarterback, but for what it's worth you might consider the following advice. It wasn't long ago that I was in your shoes and I like to think I've learned a few things. Mostly from my mistakes!!

1) You don't need to go 8 miles or 11 miles and up over a pass to get away from most hunters. My buddy and I went in 3-4 miles this year in a heavily-hunted unit and found our animals and few people. Outfitters with horses generally go in further than backpackers, and by going in that far you start bumping into them, as you saw.

2) Elk hunting is all about hunting where they are, and not committing to a place where they're not. Sounds obvious, but that was your main problem. Always have a plan B and C, as in other places to go if your first choice turns out to be a dry hole. Keep moving until you find them; plan on not settling down at a camp until you do. You'd have been better off going in a few miles, checking it out, and then pulling up stakes and going somewhere else. That's much harder to do 10 miles from the truck than 3 or 4.

3) If you can do some pre-season scouting trips, by all means do it. Finding good places to hunt is more important than anything else IMHO.

4) Do some more "shake-down" trips to sort out what you need and what you don't. Most people bring too much gear when they start out, especially food and clothes; I know I did. These trips will help you sort out what you really need and what you don't. Be ruthless in paring down your gear.

5) Work on lightening up your heaviest pieces of gear, one at a time. Tent, bag, pad, and pack.

6) This is just my way of thinking, but that many people in a hunting party is too many. Too much coordination, waiting around, and futzing with gear is the result, and frustration for those who have to wait. You'd be better off splitting up and going to two different places, that way at least you'd have good information(to use next year) on two places, not just one.

7) Conditioning is a tough one. I've run into that problem, and it's no fun. You need a meeting #3, let everyone know that now that the physical part is understood by everyone, it's up to everyone to put in the work or stay home. It's not fair for one or two guys to hold up the group.

Not trying to be critical, just trying to help. Sounds like you have the determination to come back and do better, and that's 95% of it.

Good luck.
Posted By: Dre Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/23/14
Elk in Montana vs deer in Kansas is night and day.
Sounds like you gave it your best effort and that alone is rewarding. I hunt hard when I'm out there so if I don't get lucky I can come home and have no regrets.
Now you know better for next year and even then you'll learn some more. Hope things work out with your boys.
We discovered early seven was too many, but for a first trip I guess we thought strength in numbers. Four would be a max in my mind. A couple of guys splitting the load could go pretty lightweight and fast.

Next year I want to do a spring bear / scouting trip for the '15 Elk season. The plan is not to loose the gains and keep working.

I went in at about 68 lbs with all my gear (including rifle, binos,and 14 days of food, etc...) some were pushing 80 I have no doubt. We just didn't work together. I know where I can improve and will work on it this off-season.
Posted By: GregW Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/23/14
I admire you for the honesty and also for doing something like that that you've never done. The experience gained is priceless compared to some on 24HC who think they are pros by reading.

You actually did it. And for that, great job.

I may be wrong, but I take it you guys were navigating once you set up camp with simple topo maps? How did you guys prep for where exactly you were camping/hunting?
Wow. 68 lbs is a lot of gear, and I bet a lot of that was food. If it were me, not knowing if the chosen location would bear fruit I'd take 4-5 days worth of food and go in half the distance. If the hunting's good, you can always hike out empty and bring in more food; if it's no good, pull up stakes and go to plan B. Just as a data point, my load not counting the rifle was 40 lbs. And that was with a two-man tent, stove, cartridge, and water filter (common gear).
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/23/14
1) You don't need to go 8 miles or 11 miles and up over a pass to get away from most hunters. My buddy and I went in 3-4 miles this year in a heavily-hunted unit and found our animals and few people. Outfitters with horses generally go in further than backpackers, and by going in that far you start bumping into them, as you saw.
This is very true. Often, you need to go only farther than a day hunter will go, usually not more than a couple miles, a little more or less depending on terrain.
Posted By: Kevin_T Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/23/14
Great read and a good learning experience.

Like smokepole said, 3 or 4 miles is usually enough. Lighten the load, 68 is too much. 40's is way better. I'm usually in the low 30's with 3 days food. Large hunting parties are great for a base camp and day hunting, but not in the back country. Always have several plans, it can be hard in unfamiliar terrain, but you never know what is going to happen. I've had places I thought were all to myself to see a bunch of people o horses move in and vice versa. I am still learning, and learn more every season.

From a distance, a decent strategy is to call the local wildlife officers. Some will be helpful, some won't. If you get a helpful one they can give you a few good areas, tell you where outfitters are and all sorts of good intel. Take that intel with a map and google earth and you increase your chances
The 68 pounds was including 14days of food, which was 20 pounds. We were going in to stay� Another lesson learned.

We did talk with the trail rangers, who assured us we would see lots of elk "back there". They also told us the road was not passable by truck and in six years they had seen only two bears. That was about thirty minutes before we had our encounter.
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/23/14
Funny stuff...

Day 1, ready for trophies, with tons of food...

Day 4, Blisters, hypothermia,..turning into Lord of the Flies and fixing to kill and eat the "fat guy"...

laugh

Good, honest story. As a flat-lander myself, I don't imagine I'd fare as well as you guys, and probably end up as bear poop.

I wouldn't call it a total loss, has been one heck of a learning experience, plus you got in some good camping with buds..

I wish I would have tried something as haphazard when I was younger,...way to outta shape and old at this point.

Better luck next time..
Posted By: wageslave Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/23/14
Thanks for sharing, Bro.
I admire you and your quest.
It ain't over.
You will be successful...
Originally Posted by Rifles And More
Another lesson learned.

Sounds like you already learned most of the stuff I commented on, sorry for the "piling on."

When you say "trail rangers" I'm not sure what that means but I think KevinT meant the state wildlife biologists responsible for the area. If you get one that's experienced and has been there a while, he should be able to give you solid information. Don't be soured on the one experience with them, they're just like everyone else, good ones and not-so-good ones.....
Posted By: kalinga Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/23/14
The average success rate of Colorado elk hunters for either sex, used to be 1 in every 7 years. I don't know what it is now. Elk hunting is hard. You can luck into an elk once in a while, or hire an outfitter, but that is no guarantee.
The group you hunt with is extremely important. You need to have the same drive and endurance. You need to remain positive and not give up. You will get the elk out if you kill one.
Don't feel humbled, it is just learning to elk hunt.
The last 3 bulls I killed were on the last or second last day of my hunt. Two in Colorado and one in Wyoming. I have backpacked all three out, with help.
I would share anything I have learned (for what it is worth). PM me.

Posted By: SLM Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/24/14
Great read..Thanks for posting.
Posted By: redfoxx Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/24/14
"Experience" is what you get when you don't get what you want� suck it up buttercup!
Posted By: Whiptail Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/24/14

Nice write up!

It still sounded better than sitting at home. At least you saw an elk which is better than I did my first time out. I've got more bad backpacking trip stories than most but I still keep going.
Posted By: SKane Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/24/14
Originally Posted by GregW
I admire you for the honesty and also for doing something like that that you've never done. The experience gained is priceless compared to some on 24HC who think they are pros by reading.

Concur!!!!
Smokepole, no need to apologize. I need all the help I can get. I might even listen this time!

The guys we talked to were rangers doing trail maintenance. They referd to themselves as "trail rangers", so that is what I thought the common nomenclature was. It was just amusing that all they told us was wrong. I bet they enjoyed us...
Posted By: smokepole Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/24/14
Originally Posted by Rifles And More
I might even listen this time!

Seeing is believing eh? Fire away with any questions, I've probably made every mistake you can make.

We ran into some guys doing trail maintenance too. Stopped and talked to them, they were summer hires. We were very familiar with the area, and it was apparent that they weren't. Good kids though, and they were busting ass!!
Posted By: Higginez Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/24/14
Great story! I'm sure as time passes you'll enjoy telling it and everyone will get a good laugh including you. Those make some of the best memories. It's not always the hits- it's the misses as well.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/24/14
Sounds like you went on a cool road trip, then a cool backpack trip - saw some awesome country and some cool animals, didn't go to work for a week, learned a lot and will be applying it again next year. Well done.

It won't all apply, but a couple thoughts:

Most of our trips are limited to around 10 days. Food weight is a major reason for that. If you have a base camp that you don't have to carry too far, or if you cache food you can extend that.

That being said, I don't think I've ever got my final pack weight under 60lbs. The tradeoff is weight vs comfort, but now you know exactly what it takes to move that much weight, so you can make an informed decision.

A friend has a semi-canned response when asked about how many people his boat sleeps. "It can be too small for two or plenty of room for 10 - it all depends on the people." Attitude is everything. I've been very lucky to hunt with a few "never say die" folks, and keeping a positive mental attitude makes a huge difference in the outcome of a trip. I can't imagine going on a trip like that with more than 3 people, but with the "right" 3 or more could be done. Everyone has to be willing to pitch in, or it just doesn't work. It also really helps if you are somewhat matched physically, so the fast guys aren't waiting on the slow guys. Fast guys can always take something out of the slow guys pack and add it to theirs too... but that is a lot more difficult if you haven't hunted together before.

A shakeout trip is pretty handy to learn the things you don't need. There are a few things that you don't use that you'll still want to bring (first aid kit hopefully, rain gear, etc). It also just gives you a lot more confidence in what you do bring. We generally have a whole "I am bringing the water filter, are you bringing a GPS?" series of conversations to eliminate duplicate gear.
Posted By: prm Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/24/14
Great read, thanks for sharing. That was some beautiful country. You are not the first elk hunter to be humbled. I certainly have. The good news is you now have experience to fall back on. You are better off than the many hunters who sit in a base camp at the truck and wander off maybe .5 mi. I think the others have chimed in on most of the things I thought I'd do different. You now know first hand why weight and bulk mean so much to DIY hunters! And the mountains and shear size of areas is a challenge. Until you experience climbing with less oxygen it's hard to really appreciate the difficulty. As for the elk, I would not hunt fields, especially with a bow. Cover ground until you find elk, then slowly work through the darkest, thickest timber you can find. When you can cover significant ground walking on deadfalls you are in good elk country! Last year I stood at the edge of a large field covered in 2 day old snow and took some pictures. There was not a single animal track in the entire field. In the dense woods behind me there were tracks everywhere. 5-10 min later I shot a bull. Unless they have to for food, water or to travel, the elk simply do not go out in the open if there are hunters around. My experience anyway. You mentioned the challenge of getting a bull out if you shot it. Completely deboned, a bull would be roughly 4 of those 68lb packs, not including the hide. That's hard on the back, legs and feet.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/24/14
This thread is somewhat similar to one run in the American Hunter quite a few years ago. Two eastern hunters who'd never seen anything larger than a whitetail booked an Alaskan drop hunt for moose. The plane dropped them off and the next day they took a hike. One of them shot a biggun 5 miles from camp. They spent their entire week packing it back to camp. In the process, they saw several larger ones within a mile of their camp.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/24/14
Great experience for you guys. Best way to learn is to get out and do it! I'm confused (nothing new!) though, what state were you in? Montana? Colorado? Wyoming?
Posted By: smokepole Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/24/14
They saw grizzlies, so not here.
Montana Wilderness unit.

I expected the valley to be full of rutting elk as far as the eye could see. Crazy and running to every sound we made. And me, with a rifle taking my pick of trophy bulls�

Ok, maybe not. I had more realistic expectations than that.

Funny thing though. The week before we(my family) went to RMNP at Estes and that is just about how the elk were behaving. Herding cows and bugling. It was something to watch. I'm sure it did give me some high expectations.
Posted By: ingwe Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/24/14
Someone mentioned a shake out trip. You might think about that next time. Go into the area without a gun and license, and just see what you'll be up against� then decide if killing an elk, or getting the 'whole experience' is more important to you. Often a good guided hunt will cost you less than a short string of DIY fiascos.
Posted By: brymoore Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/24/14
Live and learn. I live in elk country but usually day hunt. I turn around when I hit the 5 miles mark from the road, and I have buddies with horses.

I believe the old adage that 75% (or whatever % it is) hunt with a mile of the road is true. If I get in a couple miles, I usually have the place to myself.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/24/14
Originally Posted by ingwe
Someone mentioned a shake out trip. You might think about that next time. Go into the area without a gun and license, and just see what you'll be up against� then decide if killing an elk, or getting the 'whole experience' is more important to you. Often a good guided hunt will cost you less than a short string of DIY fiascos.

Very true, this.

Especially in the Bob. Big country for sure and the elk can/will range for miles and miles, not to mention the wolf factor. If you go the guide route be sure to check out guiding services very carefully. There are some great people out there, and then some not so much. A guide/drop camp for a group your size would be viable alternative as well.
Posted By: pointer Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/25/14
Thanks for posting this. I know I learned many of the same lessons you did. Just don't stop trying! It will get 'easier' as you get more experience. What you learned on this trip will be worth it's weight (pun definitely intended wink ) on future trips.

Someone above mentioned positive attitude. IMO, that's the most important thing to pack. It is something I have to consiously try to do. It's easy to get down when you've put in that much effort and aren't seeing game. That said, sitting in camp getting one's mope on doesn't fix it. BTW, I'm not saying that's what you did, but I have done that.

Good luck and always keep asking questions.
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/25/14
Your pictures are very revealing! You guys would have needed to push farther south toward the "Park" to find any decent numbers of elk....I've hunted that country you were in since 1980. The fires of 88', and the wolves have changed the dynamics of the elk heard in that part of the "AB"....still a great piece of true wilderness, and it has, and always will hold a special place in my heart.

One of the biggest bulls I've ever seen was was up on the west side of Iron Mountain, not too far from where you were. That was the fall of 2001. I was hunting sheep, had some rams located, and decided to pass on him. In hindsight, I should have killed him....but that's hunting.

When you kill an elk and backpack it out of that country, you've been on a real elk hunt...

Good effort! The agony, and pain of defeat, will always dilute, when success is finally achieved...
You pegged it�

I think there are some nice animals in there, I just need to get to know it and continue to learn.

Thanks for the insight, and thanks to all that have replied.

-Dustin
Posted By: Apparition Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/25/14
I think the take away from your whole experience is that you actually cowboyed up and did it!! Millions of people dream the dream each year but you and 6 other guys did it!! Heck I run into guys year in and year out here in PA that talk the talk, but come time to put the time and money into an elk hunt waffle every year. Next year, you will have a firm hold on what you need to do and how to do it, and Ill wager a good bit of money that you guys get into elk!!
Posted By: smokepole Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/25/14
Originally Posted by Apparition
I think the take away from your whole experience is that you actually cowboyed up and did it!!

+1, and he's gonna do it again, a tip of the hat to you, rifles.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/25/14
Originally Posted by smokepole

Dave

+1, and it wasn't a wasted trip because you learned from it. You've got to start somewhere.

It's easy to Monday-morning quarterback, but for what it's worth you might consider the following advice. It wasn't long ago that I was in your shoes and I like to think I've learned a few things. Mostly from my mistakes!!

2) Elk hunting is all about hunting where they are, and not committing to a place where they're not. Sounds obvious, but that was your main problem. Always have a plan B and C, as in other places to go if your first choice turns out to be a dry hole. Keep moving until you find them; plan on not settling down at a camp until you do. You'd have been better off going in a few miles, checking it out, and then pulling up stakes and going somewhere else. That's much harder to do 10 miles from the truck than 3 or 4.

Good luck.

Truer words have never been spoken. I can't tell you how many times I have hunted areas that were infested with elk. So many elk they were actually tearing up the mountain. Next day not a single elk to be found. You have to be flexible with elk hunting hunt where the elk are, sounds stupid I know. Find the elk before you kill yourself hunting animals that may not even be there. This is different than mule deer hunting.

Thanks for an interesting story. When I first started reading I knew quickly this wasn't going to end good. For heavens sake someone should have at least jumped on a 4 wheeler and checked out the road first. Hiking your tail off just to see other trucks there or 4 wheelers sucks so bad. I know I have done it without knowing a road was I the area. I agree too many people.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/25/14
Yes, elk are mobile, and they can appear as fast as they disappear. Last fall, 4 of us were hunting together. By the last week, none of us had scored on elk although we'd got several deer. For the last week, 3 of us went back up for a final 5 day whack at it. After 2 days of seeing not even a track, 1 guy went home about noon on the 3d day. That day we had new snow and that afternoon the elk arrived. The 2 of us still hunting found 50 or more within 1/4 mile of a main road but it was too dark to shoot. They were right out in the open in plain sight of everything. We were there before shooting light the next morning and brought home 2 of them. We sneaked about 200 yds off the road to some timber and shot them on the open hillside above us. We were able to roll them down to the flat and drive the truck right to them.
Posted By: Darktimber Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/26/14
You did a great job of writing this story. I was laughing with you, not at you. It sounded eerily similar to some of my first elk hunts. It can be very humbling. It gets better though, especially when you realize you don't need all of that "stuff" to have a productive, comfortable, and safe trip. You also learn that getting in shape and being prepared for an elk hunt requires significant effort. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Apparition Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/26/14
I was laughing with you, not at you

Oh hell, I was laughing at him a couple of times grin Manley because I was in his position on my first elk hunt, nothing humbles you quite so much as your first DIY elk hunt.
Posted By: Vek Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/26/14
Gear: if you know you need it, you just might. If you think you need it, you probably don't.

Your chance of success dwindles precipitously once your group size grows larger than 3.
Posted By: smokepole Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/26/14
I know my blood pressure would climb exponentially with every person more than two, counting myself, and that's not a knock on the third guy. It's just simple math and the likelihood that at any given point in time you'll be waiting on someone else to take a dump, refill his water container, stop for a snack, stop for a breather, stop to re-lace his boots, stop to take care of a blister, stop to take a photo, stop to mug up, stop.........
Posted By: prm Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/26/14
Originally Posted by Apparition
I think the take away from your whole experience is that you actually cowboyed up and did it!!

Amen! I doubt there are many of us who have been there who haven't been in many of the same situations or at least have a great appreciation for what you endured. DIY back country Elk hunting is hard.
Posted By: Darktimber Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/26/14
Originally Posted by Vek
Gear: if you know you need it, you just might. If you think you need it, you probably don't.

A great statement! That will always be playing in my head while packing.
Posted By: snubbie Re: ELK 2014 Humble Pie - 09/27/14
Good for you that you did it. My first backpack hunt out west was 2012. I had a couple of guys that were interested in going, one had committed. All backed out and I did a solo hunt. Very humbling being in the wilderness by yourself and I did feel a bit overwhelmed by it all. I didn't get a deer, but had a great experience and learned a lot. One thing I did right was try gear on several backpack trips before I went to see what worked, what I needed, what I could do without. I still carried stuff I found I didn't need and erred on the heavy side, mostly by carrying too much food.

Next year will be better for you. You know now how to prepare.

And you can't be in too good of shape to hunt out west. That is the number one thing IMO that will make your hunt the most pleasant. It's hard to focus on what you're there for when you're exhausted, sore, and feel you won't be able to handle the situation you're in.
© 24hourcampfire