Home
Posted By: kcnboise Need a New Sleeping Bag - 10/22/14
I'm starting the search for a new backcountry hunting sleeping bag. I've been using a Western Mountaineering�bag for about 10 years. I want a 20 degree down bag, and will probably go with a long. I'll trade a couple extra ounces for comfort/roominess; my current WM bag fits like a condom... What brands and models should I be looking at?
Posted By: kenaiking Re: Need a New Sleeping Bag - 10/22/14
What WM bag do you have now?

They make a few wider models in the 15�s like the Alpinlite (64�), Badger (66�) and the ponderosa (67�) which is a semi rectangular bag.
Posted By: outahere Re: Need a New Sleeping Bag - 10/22/14
The WM Badger is a nice, roomy bag.

I find it very comfortable down to 20F
Posted By: 30338 Re: Need a New Sleeping Bag - 10/22/14
I'm going Enlightened Equipment quilt for my next one.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Need a New Sleeping Bag - 10/23/14
Go to WM's website and look into their semi-rectangular bags. I have 3 ... 40, 25, and 5 degree. Absolutely love them.

I tried one of their mummy bags, sort of what you describe, and it was not for me. The semi-rectangular bags are a whole different story.

Tom
Posted By: timat46 Re: Need a New Sleeping Bag - 10/23/14
+ 1 on the Badger
Posted By: duchntr Re: Need a New Sleeping Bag - 10/23/14
Feathered Friends or Western Mountaineering both great american brands.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Need a New Sleeping Bag - 10/24/14
Originally Posted by 30338
I'm going Enlightened Equipment quilt for my next one.

I am too. I really like my Montbell super stretch though. I usually use it like a quilt anyway.
Posted By: kcnboise Re: Need a New Sleeping Bag - 10/24/14
Thanks all for the recommendations! I'll probably go with Feathered Friends or Western Mountaineering. Where's the best place to buy, price-wise?

Posted By: Backroads Re: Need a New Sleeping Bag - 10/24/14
Loving my Enlightened Equipment Revelation, will never buy another mummy bag.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Need a New Sleeping Bag - 10/24/14
I don't know if it's the BEST price but all of my WM stuff has come from backcountrygear.com.
Posted By: efw Re: Need a New Sleeping Bag - 10/24/14
I just scored a 20 degree Big Agnes on fleabay for <$100 shipped and I love it.
Englightened equipment here too! 100 times more comfortable for me.
Posted By: kcnboise Re: Need a New Sleeping Bag - 10/24/14
I've thought about trying a quilt, but I flop around a lot when I'm sleeping. Will I be waking up cold all the time? In the summer I use my bag like a quilt, but by early Fall I go back to zipping it up to keep from waking up with it tossed off to the side.
Originally Posted by kenaiking

They make a few wider models in the 15�s like the Alpinlite (64�), Badger (66�) and the ponderosa (67�) which is a semi rectangular bag.

For some reason my WM Antelope fits tighter than it did 20 years ago..........

I've been eyeballing a Ponderosa, my wallet cringes though.......

I picked up a never used Big Agnes Encampment and Big Agnes insulated pad cheap enough I figured I didn't have much to lose. Have only spent 3 nights in it, but so far I like it.

Casey
I'm a bad tosser/turner quilt works better for me. With a bag I always ended up tied up with my insulation compressed. Quilt is just like sleeping in bed at home.
Posted By: kcnboise Re: Need a New Sleeping Bag - 10/25/14
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by kenaiking

For some reason my WM Antelope fits tighter than it did 20 years ago..........

I've been eyeballing a Ponderosa, my wallet cringes though.......

I picked up a never used Big Agnes Encampment and Big Agnes insulated pad cheap enough I figured I didn't have much to lose. Have only spent 3 nights in it, but so far I like it.

Casey

Ha! The bag I need to replace is also a 20 year old Antelope. I was scrawny until I got into my 30s, and for some reason my shoulders have continued to grow, so now I literally can't get the Antelope zipped up the last couple of inches.

Initial cost of a high end bag does give one pause, but I look at it this way - a $500 bag that lasts 20 years costs $25 a year; that's quite the value! Plus it's still in good shape, so my son is going to use it. He'll likely end up inheriting the bag I buy to replace it...
Posted By: Vigilguy Re: Need a New Sleeping Bag - 10/26/14
FYI---WM makes a bag extender. Increases the girth by several inches. I use it on my Alpinlite when I want a LOT of extra girth. Thought this might be useful when using your Antelope.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Need a New Sleeping Bag - 10/26/14
I've only got one quilt and I kind of like it. It's by thermarest called an "alpine down blanket". It drapes well and it has a sort of ring around it that tucks in pretty nicely. I slept on my aunt's porch with it night before last and didn't have any issues with kicking it off during the night.

Tom
Posted By: hekin Re: Need a New Sleeping Bag - 11/04/14
If you are looking at quilts check out Hammock Gear. From the net I can't see any difference between them and Enlightened Equipment other than the fact Hammock Gear costs less. ??
Posted By: Mk7mmSTW Re: Need a New Sleeping Bag - 11/10/14
Ive never been one to spend a ton on a sleeping bag as I tend to get blood and sweat and wear them out if its a hunting bag. I bought the kelty cosmic down 20 degree bag and I love it. I planned on it being a so so bag for the price but it has been a great bag. It folds up very small and has plenty of loft and the zippers are very strong. I have no issues with catching the zippers on material and my favorite part is the dual zippers which allows me to open up the bottom of the bag to allow air in but have the top zipped up. I bought it for around $110 a few years ago and i'd put it up against any 20 degree bag.
Posted By: LostArra Re: Need a New Sleeping Bag - 11/10/14
WM Badger here.

My daughter (adult) is going to try the Sierra Design Backcountry Bed. She doesn't like the confinement of a mummy bag but she's not ready to make the leap to a quilt.

https://www.sierradesigns.com/sleeping-bags/bed-style
© 24hourcampfire