Home
Posted By: BWalker New Mystery Ranch packs? - 12/19/14
Last winter there was a post saying MR had some new packs in the works and that they would be released this fall. Has anyone heard anything more on this?
Posted By: BigFin Re: New Mystery Ranch packs? - 12/22/14
I used a new Metcalf v.2 all season. Worked great. Like it better than the V.1, and the v.1 was pretty darn good. I suspect anyone who needs a versatile pack that can haul heavy loads would find it useful for their purpose.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: thanses Re: New Mystery Ranch packs? - 12/22/14
The updated Metcalf is all I was aware of and it has been out since July or August.
Posted By: BWalker Re: New Mystery Ranch packs? - 12/22/14
What are the diferances between the two versions?
Posted By: Brad Re: New Mystery Ranch packs? - 12/22/14
BW, what are you after?

A Meat-hauling pack? Backpacking pack? Both?
Mystery Ranch also updated the Daypack lid, cutting the weight down significantly.
Posted By: BWalker Re: New Mystery Ranch packs? - 12/23/14
Meat hauling/daypack. I have a crew cab and it works fine as a daypack, but when the loads get heavy it becomes uncomfortable due to not having any load lifters. Its also very heavy for its capabilities IMO.
Posted By: pointer Re: New Mystery Ranch packs? - 12/23/14
Originally Posted by BWalker
Meat hauling/daypack. I have a crew cab and it works fine as a daypack, but when the loads get heavy it becomes uncomfortable due to not having any load lifters. Its also very heavy for its capabilities IMO.
There are load lifter kits available for the Crew Cab. Saw a buddies in action 2 weeks ago hauling elk. Looked like they worked sweet.

http://ovinnovations.com/products/g2-load-lifter-panel-llp

http://www.mysteryranch.com/hunting/nice-frame-packs/nice-lift-kit
Posted By: Backroads Re: New Mystery Ranch packs? - 12/23/14
I would not recommend putting anymore money into the NICE frame system.

Whatever they end up replacing it with will be worth a look, until then it is pretty hard to beat the Paradox Evo system.
YMMV

Posted By: Brad Re: New Mystery Ranch packs? - 12/23/14
MR = a series of huge compromises wrapped in an expensive and heavy package.

Originally Posted by Brad
MR = a series of huge compromises wrapped in an expensive and heavy package.

Agreed!!!

But it took two years and a couple tons animals being packed out to figure out how much better some of the other packs on the market are....I'm just hard headed I guess.
Posted By: Brad Re: New Mystery Ranch packs? - 12/24/14
I got lambasted a couple years back when I pointed out the obvious and glaring design flaws of the entire MR line-up.

That's all right, I'm hard headed too, albeit my opinions come from using internals exclusively for the last 36 years, when I gave up externals in 1978.

But what do I know grin
If I chastied you for pointing out flaws of the MR flaws I apologize wink
Nah, brad was right on target with his insight on the load lifters.
Posted By: BWalker Re: New Mystery Ranch packs? - 12/26/14
Originally Posted by Brad
I got lambasted a couple years back when I pointed out the obvious and glaring design flaws of the entire MR line-up.

That's all right, I'm hard headed too, albeit my opinions come from using internals exclusively for the last 36 years, when I gave up externals in 1978.

But what do I know grin

Brad, I tend to agree with you after using a crew cab for several years. BMW in 1978 I was a year old, Lol.
In all seriousness and given my intended use what do you recommend? The Metcalf was appealing in that it promised less weight and load lifters. However it appears the load lifters are not functional when the shelf is used?
Posted By: Wrongside Re: New Mystery Ranch packs? - 12/26/14
I hadn't been on MRs website in ages. I liked the MR Grizzly (?) I had. It was heavy, but brutally durable and one of their only packs with functional suspension/load lifters. Sad to see they've discontinued most of their 'hunting/tactical' internals and now have lots of off-shore products...

Ah well, the Paradox is way lighter, carries way nicer and is a US product.
i love the old external Dana packs... not in production anymore?
i might have to build one
Originally Posted by whambasted

Haven't been for quite a while. You can find them on eBay regularly though. They even get listed in the classifieds here occasionally.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by whambasted

Haven't been for quite a while. You can find them on eBay regularly though. They even get listed in the classifieds here occasionally.

word.
i have one and i am thinking of putting a very similar pack back on the market.... with a few tweeks of course.
Posted By: Kickemall Re: New Mystery Ranch packs? - 12/28/14
So has anyone heard an update on when the rumored light weight frame and pack will be released from MR?
© 24hourcampfire