Home
Posted By: 4ager Pack suggestions - 01/27/15
I have a buddy needing a pack for an elk hunt this fall. Backpacking in, backpacking out (including any meat). Up to 7-8 days in the field.

Budget: $300 or less.

My initial thought was a used ILBE. Yes, it's heavy, but it's durable, it's well within the cost parameters, it's a good size, and it pretty comfortable.

My friend is (supposedly) 5'8", and about 200ish (I think that's standing on a chair, though). wink
Posted By: RWE Re: Pack suggestions - 01/27/15
I anticipate your friend will be 185 by season, and is 5' 8-1/2"..

S.F.B.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Pack suggestions - 01/27/15
Got pics of her? wink
Posted By: 4ager Re: Pack suggestions - 01/27/15
Originally Posted by ironbender
Got pics of her? wink

He's slightly more clean shaven these days.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Pack suggestions - 01/28/15
People seem to like the Kelty Cache Hauler Link

I'd think something like that, combined with a big silnylon drybag (Link) would give you an awful lot of flexibility for not much money.

They used to have cache haulers at Sportsman's I think, which would let him take a look at one before purchasing, if he lives near a sportys. I didn't really shop around - you could probably find a drybag cheaper than that. Add in some 550 cord and you're set for just over half the budget.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Pack suggestions - 01/28/15
I bet you could find a used Dana Designs pack for around $300 or even less.
Posted By: 338WIN Re: Pack suggestions - 01/28/15
I have a Dana Designs Bighorn and Bomb. Great packs, might be just a little small for a week, but I use mine for daypacks just in case I get lucky enough to knock something down. Paid less than $30 each in great shape.
Same on some old Mountainsmith Frostfire size packs. But my current favorite is a Gregory Forester that I found at a thrift store for $25. Depending on where you live you can find a lot of great packs for far less than $300 on Craigslist.
Lot of great packs sitting in houses that never get used. Makes for some great bargains.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Pack suggestions - 01/28/15
Originally Posted by ironbender
Got pics of her? wink

At 200lbs, he can keep the pics of her!

My Dad always jokingly told me that big women need lovin too. I would always tell him, "yeah, but not by me."
Posted By: pointer Re: Pack suggestions - 01/28/15
The carryall by LL Bean got some favorable reviews on here in the past.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/6439...;attrValue_0=Olive&productId=1077114

For the price, I think it looks pretty slick. Use a large dry bag or duffle for the pack in. A small bag or camelbak on it for day hunts. Similar to the cache hauler linked above.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Pack suggestions - 01/28/15
I used the LLBean carryall this year with a couple dry bags. I think they were 20L's.

Pack weight was about 40#'s. No elk, so no heavy loads. It carried the 40 some pounds well, but the pack is a bit small for me. I ain't 5' 8".

The straps also slip pretty easily. I was constantly tightening chit up.

It's cheap, decent suspension, and you can do a lot with it.

I'm going to pick up a used Arcteryx Bora for next season. Loads of really good, slightly used, packs out here for under $200.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Pack suggestions - 01/30/15
5'8". 200 pounds. The pack he needs is made by Polaris. And comes with 4 wheels
Posted By: Drake02 Re: Pack suggestions - 01/30/15
Try to find a used Outdoorsmans Optics Hunter Pack. It's great hunting pack and meet hauler.

http://outdoorsmans.com/outdoorsmans-optics-hunter-pack-system/
Posted By: RWE Re: Pack suggestions - 01/30/15
Originally Posted by gitem_12

damn....
Posted By: Wrongside Re: Pack suggestions - 01/30/15

LOL! That's a good one right there!

BTW, I'm 5'9" and 195... With a 30" waist... And don't need a Polaris. So those one size fits all obesity charts don't always work... wink
Originally Posted by 4ager

Budget: $300 or less.

Lots of good options for that budget. My #1 recommendation would be to look for a used Paradox Evolution frame. Even if he can't get one with a pack bag for his budget, add a few SilNylon stuff sacks and he'll be able to carry anything needed for a trip that length, plus have the flexibility to work meat into the load in the event it's required.
Originally Posted by Wrongside

BTW, I'm 5'9" and 195... With a 30" waist... And don't need a Polaris. So those one size fits all obesity charts don't always work... wink

I know, and agree. BUT I have an idea who the Op's friend is, and busting his balls is just good times
I figured. And I definitely got a good laugh out of it.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Pack suggestions - 01/30/15
Originally Posted by Wrongside

I know, and agree. BUT I have an idea who the Op's friend is, and busting his balls is just good times

Yeah, you do, and you know why I was being generous in the 5'8" and conservative in the 200#. He gets Grumpy (pun there).
He should just head back to the mines and sing happily all the way
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Pack suggestions - 01/30/15
Just scored a barely used, as in the thing looks brand new, 10 year old Bora 80 for $150. grin

© 24hourcampfire