Home
Posted By: herschel34 Kifaru spike camp? - 02/01/15
For those who have experience with this pack, has the zipper location caused problems with access to the inside of the bag? This seems to get good reviews but I am concerned I would get frustrated trying to find things in the pack while in the field. I realize I get add pockets etc. but suddenly I end up with 600 bucks in a day pack.

I don't want a dual purpose pack with an external frame that compresses as I will be using this as a carry on while flying.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Kifaru spike camp? - 02/01/15
I never saw the zipper as a problem.
Posted By: atomchaser Re: Kifaru spike camp? - 02/01/15
I have one and love it. I don't like packs with a million little pockets. I have a couple pouches I keep in side to keep things organized.
Posted By: sheephunter2 Re: Kifaru spike camp? - 02/01/15
Used a 1st gen Spike Camp for years as my go to pack. Wore it out and got another. The new ones have a bottom zipper access also. I used mine on many trips up north as a carry on. Works great on a horse. You can use it for over nite if you pack lite. Suspension is good enough for packing meat, heads, horns, etc. It's a great day type pack. It is a top loader, never had an issue with it. Had a Late Season also which is a little bigger pack that you can still use for a carry on. They are great packs as well. Patrick Smith (Kifaru, founded Mountainsmith years ago in Boulder, CO.) makes one if not the best mountain hunting packs there are IMHO.
Posted By: Oheremicus Re: Kifaru spike camp? - 02/01/15
What Sheephunter 2 says is pretty much what I would say. For small items you can add one side pocket that allows one to access such items w/o taking the pack off the shoulder.
Or you can put small items in a mesh bag for easy access from the top. There is a back pocket which I use to hold extra ammo, and other small items. There is also a small, zippered pocket at the top of the inside of the bag that I use for headlamps, tags/licenses, lense pen, etc.
Really had to think about spending the money for one. But once I did, I have never had any regrets. Carrys significant loads like nothing else I've tried. E
Posted By: smokepole Re: Kifaru spike camp? - 02/01/15
Mine is a generation 1, and I think carrying "significant loads" needs a little qualification on what a significant load is. It carries moderate loads better than most daypacks but if I know I'm going to be hauling meat or something heavy, the hipbelt on the Spike Camp is not in the same league as other full-sized packs, including the K-packs.
Posted By: sheephunter2 Re: Kifaru spike camp? - 02/01/15
Agreed. It wouldn't be my first choice for strictly packing but it will work for moderate loads to get out a boned out sheep or caribou, sheep head w. horns, etc. Used it for this many, many times. The newer suspension is way better I'm sure.
Posted By: herschel34 Re: Kifaru spike camp? - 02/01/15
Glad to hear such great reviews! I hate fumbling around when it's getting dark and my hands are getting cold looking for some miscellaneous item that I need but can't find when I need it. This alleviates some concerns.
Posted By: Circles Re: Kifaru spike camp? - 02/04/15
I've carried a spike camp many many miles hunting all kinds of critters, big and small. It's a really good pack.

If you're worried about laying your hands on something small buried in the pack, get some organizer bags. Kifaru makes pull outs, Eagle Creek makes quarter cubes, Vaultz makes mesh organizer bags, they all work great.

Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Kifaru spike camp? - 02/06/15
The Spike is a DAY pack, and a small one at that. I'd buy a Late Season with 24in stays. No, actually I'd buy a Hill People Gear Ute.
Posted By: herschel34 Re: Kifaru spike camp? - 02/06/15
Why do you like the Ute better than the Kifaru?
Posted By: LostArra Re: Kifaru spike camp? - 02/06/15
Lots of good advice.
I also own a Gen 1 Spike Camp I bought used in like-new condition maybe 10 years ago.
Very light weight pack but it's light weight because it is a single zip top loader with very minimal organization.

Gen 2 does add the bottom zipper and of course some more weight but better access.

>>I realize I get add pockets etc. but suddenly I end up with 600 bucks in a day pack.<< You nailed it. Be patient and look for a used one or get something else with better organization a lot cheaper.

If you plan on hunting in cold weather and are sold on a Kifaru, I'd look at the Late Season. Still airline compatible, holds more gear and costs more money.

I would second smokepole's comments about "significant loads". The true cost/benefit of Kifaru packs is heavier loads with their larger packs/belts where they stand above the rest. The Spike Camp isn't a hauler.

In my opinion, carrying 15-25 pounds of airline or day hunt gear comfortably doesn't require a $425 pack. Find a used one at a good price and it might be justified.

Posted By: herschel34 Re: Kifaru spike camp? - 02/07/15
Originally Posted by LostArra
Lots of good advice.
I also own a Gen 1 Spike Camp I bought used in like-new condition maybe 10 years ago.
Very light weight pack but it's light weight because it is a single zip top loader with very minimal organization.

Gen 2 does add the bottom zipper and of course some more weight but better access.

>>I realize I get add pockets etc. but suddenly I end up with 600 bucks in a day pack.<< You nailed it. Be patient and look for a used one or get something else with better organization a lot cheaper.

If you plan on hunting in cold weather and are sold on a Kifaru, I'd look at the Late Season. Still airline compatible, holds more gear and costs more money.

I would second smokepole's comments about "significant loads". The true cost/benefit of Kifaru packs is heavier loads with their larger packs/belts where they stand above the rest. The Spike Camp isn't a hauler.

In my opinion, carrying 15-25 pounds of airline or day hunt gear comfortably doesn't require a $425 pack. Find a used one at a good price and it might be justified.

Is the Late Season small enough to be a carry on for flights?
Posted By: LostArra Re: Kifaru spike camp? - 02/07/15
I think so with 22" stays (according to the Kifaru website)
Posted By: alaska_lanche Re: Kifaru spike camp? - 02/07/15
24" stays are legit carry on for AK airlines, don't know the other airline rules, but really only fly AK airlines so thats all that mattered wink
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Kifaru spike camp? - 02/07/15
Originally Posted by herschel34
Why do you like the Ute better than the Kifaru?

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/CategoryID/3/ProductID/10/Default.aspx

The above (pic all the way to your right) is a "full-sized" pack, compressed down. What you are looking at is a center-zip compression panel, that rides outside of the main pack, and would mostly be used for sundry items and never unpacked. Elegant.
Posted By: outahere Re: Kifaru spike camp? - 02/09/15
The Spike is a great little pack. I have a Gen 1 and love it. Also have a Gen 1 Late Season, which would be my choice if I were forced to chose one ... more room if you need it and better weight handling ability. Neither one is well suited to hauling really heavy loads. I have made well over a hundred flights using both the Spike and the Late Season - returned to Seattle from Cancun last night on Alaska using Spike as a carry-on - never a problem.

Zipper placement and access to interior is not an issue.
Posted By: NEhunter Re: Kifaru spike camp? - 02/15/15
Herschel, sent ya a pm
Posted By: sherp Re: Kifaru spike camp? - 02/16/15
I would go for the Late Season. It will do anything the Spike can do and quite a bit that the Spike can't. Also lighter/cheaper to have the LS by the time you get the Spike cubic inches up to the same level.
Posted By: varmintsinc Re: Kifaru spike camp? - 02/27/15
I tried the spike and found it to be just a bit to small for my needs, as someone mentioned it is a super powered $425 day pack. Stepping up to the Siwash gave me everything I needed without any additional bulk. It allows me to carry everything I need for a day hike plus emergency supplies in case I want/have to spend the night in the field. I have put 100 lb loads on it for a max of 8 miles and it was just fine.

© 24hourcampfire