Home
Posted By: smokepole compact cameras. - 05/09/15
What compact, lightweight cameras are you all using? I'm in the market for a decent (not top of the line, not too expensive) small camera.
Posted By: battue Re: compact cameras. - 05/09/15
Have an Olympus stylus xz-10 that has done well. Don't run it on auto and learn the ins and outs of basic aperture/shutter functions and it does pretty good.

Tip from Stick: Learn to read the histogram and "Every shot is a tracer."

Posted By: JonS Re: compact cameras. - 05/09/15
Still dig on the Olympus, I think it's a Stylus tough of a few years back. Have beat it up pretty good and it still takes good pictures. The new ones have a wider aperture to start, so might be better in low light, but I can't complain about the water/shock/Jon proofness of them.
Posted By: LostArra Re: compact cameras. - 05/10/15
I've had good luck with Panasonic Lumix.
I haven't used the waterproof models.
Daughter loves the Olympus tough.
The only reason I have stayed with the non-waterproof model is the limited optical zoom.
Posted By: Ready Re: compact cameras. - 05/10/15
Used this camera:

http://waterproof-camera-review.toptenreviews.com/fujifilm-finepix-xp60-review.html

Tough enough, but pictures are "dull".

My AK-Trips I used Pentax Optios. Great pictures, AA Batteries...

All great. Somehow needed one per season, though. Something in the mechanics always would end up not working (shudder). Happend three times. By then the body looked, shall we say, worn, so no luck with warranties. Not a problem at, what 90 $ retail, but still...

Just now trying to decide, whether to go Panasonic Lumix or buy a book and try to learn "photography loonism" enough to buy a "real" camera.

Try to understand one of Big Sticks photography post... I do not.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: compact cameras. - 05/10/15
I really like my little Cannon Power Shot ELPH 520 HS.It's 3 1/2" x 2 1/4" x 3/4" with 12x zoom.Fits easy in my shirt pocket,rechargeable battery and takes really clear,sharp pictures.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: compact cameras. - 05/10/15
This deal is hard to beat.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/c...-G_Canon_Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-33249

Great little camera.
Posted By: PatagoniaHunter Re: compact cameras. - 05/10/15
Hello somkepole,

For me, the Olympus TG series. I have the TG1 bought 2012. Great! VERY tough and exelent optics.

Good luck.

PH
Posted By: Brad Re: compact cameras. - 05/11/15
I tend to think nearly any P&S camera in the $200 price range is going to be pretty decent, with Sony and Canon generally having the best processors.

I've had a couple Panasonic Lumix P&S's but have never been particularly impressed with them.

The problem with non-waterproof/dustproof P&S cameras is the retractable lens acts like a reverse bellows sucking dust into the camera, which will ultimately collect on the sensor giving you dust spots in your photos.

Both my Panasonic's have ended up with dust spots after a couple years. It costs more than the camera is worth to send them in to be cleaned, so I view these as "disposable" cameras.

The problem with waterproof P&S's is they're not as crisp as non-waterproof cameras (apples to apples).

Personally I'm gong to a mirrorless system with a minimum 1" to maximum 4/3rds processor. Nice thing about a mirrorless camera is the sensor is super easy to clean oneself, actually easier than a DSLR.

If I were buying a P&S tomorrow it would be a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 (there are 3 gens of this camera) or Canon PowerShot G7X.

Otherwise I'm going with a small mirrorless camera. Right now leaning towards a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 or Samsung NX Mini.

Posted By: Backroads Re: compact cameras. - 05/11/15
Iphone 5s in a Lifeproof case is pretty compact. Doubles as an emergency phone.
Posted By: smokepole Re: compact cameras. - 05/11/15
Originally Posted by SBTCO

Thanks, I checked that out, do you have any experience buying refurbished cameras from Canon?
Posted By: pointer Re: compact cameras. - 05/11/15
I'm on my second Sony and have been very happy with them. Main reasons I upgraded was size and zoom. I like the smaller size and 15Xish optical zoom of the newer one. I also like them to be able to fit in a shirt pocket as that way I have very little reason not to have it with me. Here's the newer version of what I have:
http://store.sony.com/point-and-shoot-digital-still-camera-zid27-DSCWX350//cat-27-catid-All-Cyber-shot-W-Series-Cameras?vva_ColorCode=BC009&_t=pfm%3Dcategory

Posted By: cwh2 Re: compact cameras. - 05/11/15
Smokepole,

I bought this one (I think) for my wife, and stole it last year for the sheep hunt: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX...234&sr=8-11&keywords=nikon+1+aw1

It is pretty decent. Edges of pictures are not as sharp as I would like, but it survived well and is still ticking. Having a camera in a pocket is a huge deal, and I will take the minor quality hit in order to get more pics.
Posted By: bea175 Re: compact cameras. - 05/11/15
Originally Posted by smokepole
What compact, lightweight cameras are you all using? I'm in the market for a decent (not top of the line, not too expensive) small camera.

All my cameras are Nikon
Well, that certainly narrows it down.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: compact cameras. - 05/11/15
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by SBTCO

Thanks, I checked that out, do you have any experience buying refurbished cameras from Canon?

Not personally but all I've read is basically they are as good as new, although may have a few blemishes on the exterior. Be sure to check for factory warranty though. I have a Fuji x10(x30 now) that is bigger and all metal construction and has more manual knobs. Great little camera but Canon, Nikon, Pentax, seem to have better color rendition for outdoors scenes. The shots from the Fuji appear to be a little "muddy" looking.

Edit. I have a canon G12 that has the same sensor as the S110 but older processor so am familiar with the picture quality the S100-110 etc. is capable of and for the sensor size, they do very well.
Thanks, I may just get one, that is a great price. I've used compact Canons in the past, I liked 'em but my wife usually loses them or they become "disposable" as Brad said.
Posted By: Ed_T Re: compact cameras. - 05/11/15
Smoke,

I have been really pleased with my Canon PowerShot SX 280 HS.

It shoots nice snap shot and wide angle zoom and goes to 20x optical zoom. Here are a few photos I have taken hand held.

Some Bighorn Rams:

[Linked Image]

A Red Fox:

[Linked Image]

Cranes:

[Linked Image]

Arrowleaf's:

[Linked Image]

I've gone from packing 35mm Nikons with a big assortment of lenses, tripods etc to this point and shoot and for where I am today this fit my style very well.
Posted By: 338WIN Re: compact cameras. - 05/11/15
Like EdT, I've carried two SLR Bodies, lenses and tripod into the backcountry. I just sold my DSLR and equipment and bought a Canon SX50 Superzoom. 24-1200 50x zoom. Just dropped to $169 on the Canon refurb site. Yes, you lose the awesome dynamic range of the large sensors, but the ability to actually use the magnification is incredible. Anxious to try it in the field. In many instances it will be better than a spotting scope. Plus, I think it could be fun at the range, too.
It won't slip in a pocket, but everything you need is in one small package. (Nikon just released one that goes to 93x optically.)
Check out the reviews at dpreview and cameralabs.
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: compact cameras. - 05/14/15
Another vote for Cannon.
Posted By: ironbender Re: compact cameras. - 05/15/15
I has the Canon ELPH 300HS which was highly rated and accordingly took great photos. Essentially an earlier model in the link above, which has a terrific price. Mine didn't survive a drop from horseback into a creek, in spite of my speedy efforts at retrieval.

Whatever you consider, it's worth reading a review of the camera here:

http://www.pcmag.com/reviews/digital-cameras/type/compact

Just use the search window at top right.
Posted By: ironbender Re: compact cameras. - 05/15/15
Originally Posted by cwh2
Smokepole,

I bought this one (I think) for my wife, and stole it last year for the sheep hunt: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX...234&sr=8-11&keywords=nikon+1+aw1

It is pretty decent. Edges of pictures are not as sharp as I would like, but it survived well and is still ticking. Having a camera in a pocket is a huge deal, and I will take the minor quality hit in order to get more pics.

Chris-
Here is what the reviewer wrote about that camera's sharpness:

I used Imatest to check the quality of images captured with the AW120's 24-120mm lens. It's quite sharp, scoring 2,539 lines per picture height on our center-weighted test at its widest angle. That's a lot better than the 1,800 lines we require to categorize a photo as sharp, but the outer third of the frame is a bit blurry due to a 944-line average.

it's waterproof which is a big plus.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: compact cameras. - 05/15/15
Mike,
I tend to notice it in the upper left of the photo.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Difficult to see when the photos are resized this small, but it is certainly there. I don't like it, but it isn't the end of the world.
© 24hourcampfire