Home
Posted By: MountainMariner Map Cases - 07/06/15
Any suggestions on a nice map case?
Posted By: oklahunter Re: Map Cases - 07/07/15
I generally use a large ziploc bag as it's light, cheap and effective. I also treat paper maps or buy the waterproof ones.
Posted By: KC Re: Map Cases - 07/08/15

I don't use a map case either. Like oklahunter, I also use ZipLok one gallon storage bags. Sometimes I may tape several USGS maps together and have them laminated at Kinkos. This is a specially useful technique when you are going to be using a raft or canoe, which increases the probability of getting the map wet.

KC

Posted By: MO2AZ Re: Map Cases - 07/08/15
This....plus for bulk storage and transport I use a schedule 40 3" pvc pipe(or similar) with one cap glued on and the other cap just slipped on. It has protected my maps very well so far. Haven't tried it canoeing though. If doing it again I would probably use threaded tubes/caps on the end that is removable.
The tubes also allows me to sort my maps by the region/hunt area,etc---and protects them for in use or storage. May be heavier than you want for BPing though.
Joe
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Map Cases - 07/13/15
Originally Posted by oklahunter
I generally use a large ziploc bag as it's light, cheap and effective. I also treat paper maps or buy the waterproof ones.

Will add that I fold the topo map so that the area I am hiking shows through the clear Ziploc without having to take it out or unfold it. Sometimes you can fold it so that when you move off the folded edge of the map you continue on the other side, again without taking the map out of the bag nor any unfolding. Or put two maps back to back with the areas you want visible through the plastic.

Less wear and tear on the map in the field and rain protected.

Posted By: Pete E Re: Map Cases - 07/13/15
I don't remember the brand of case i use, but its designed so that size wise, it fits a maps natural fold when folded to two sections.

With creative folding (along existing creases)I end up like with the map being displayed like in Okanagan's case..

Why use a map case and not a zip-lock? Simply because in bad weather a map case is easier to teather to one's self save it being blown away..
Posted By: MountainMariner Re: Map Cases - 07/13/15
Here is the one I'm looking at getting:

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/sealline/pouches-and-cases/map-case/product?
Posted By: bwinters Re: Map Cases - 07/13/15
I've been using the custom maps from mytopo for the past 5/years or so. They can handle some moisture but I wouldn't plan on looking at them in a rainstorm. I also use the ziplkc bag for most of my maps.
Posted By: rgrx1276 Re: Map Cases - 07/17/15
I used to laminate my maps with clear adhesive laminate paper back in the day. You could mark them with a grease pencil and erase as needed.

You can find it at walmart.
© 24hourcampfire