Home
Posted By: Hugh 5.10 camp four hiking boots - 10/06/15
Anyone ever use them ?
I've used them a lot, have had 3 pairs. A lot of people on our local rescue team use them as well.

It depends what you want them for. They work really well if you need a lot of traction and want a really solid heel base. Great for scrambling / talus scree as well. They are not so great, if you expect a lot of water, as they take a long time to dry and will remain wet a long time. For those conditions, I use a trail runner that dries quicker or Lasportiva Boulder X / Mid / GTX. The Boulder's are a pretty suitable replacement for Camp 4's but not as comfortable (however they are comfy enough for me .. but I have low comfort expectations and value performance more).
Posted By: Hugh Re: 5.10 camp four hiking boots - 10/06/15
thanks that is good info .
Posted By: Hugh Re: 5.10 camp four hiking boots - 10/06/15
Just ordered a pair of the camp4s,thanks kevin.
Never heard of this boot. Can someone post some links or further describe its merits?
Look interesting. Camp Four

Originally Posted by bwinters
Look interesting. Camp Four

Well they do but NOT for serious backpack hunts with weight and mountains.
I see very little ankle support or anything else that looks like a serious mountain boot.
Good luck to you that wear them.
Posted By: Hugh Re: 5.10 camp four hiking boots - 10/07/15
Ive got the kenetrek boots also ,camp4 should be good for everthing else.
[/quote]

Well they do but NOT for serious backpack hunts with weight and mountains.
I see very little ankle support or anything else that looks like a serious mountain boot.
Good luck to you that wear them.
[/quote]

I would respectfully disagree. I've carried out an Elk front and rear bone in, with UL Inov8 trail runners, off trail, on the steeps and at midnight. The camp4 are far more supportive than the Inov8 . I would not hesitate to use them for anything I care to carry. Of course, technique , style and preference means it really depends on the person. I rarely use a big / stiff boot as I don't feel they allow enough movement. The one time I actually used a big stiff boot on a backpack hunt, I traded them while on a water haul for the Inov8, as I found myself not being able to grip enough on the steeps.
If you can wear 'em, that's fine. They would not be anywhere near the supportive boot I need. Give me a stiff 9-10 inch boot with plenty of ankle support to negotiate scree slopes, sidehilling with a moderate to heavy pack.
Posted By: Hugh Re: 5.10 camp four hiking boots - 10/08/15
Looking forward to getting my camp 4s .I had la sportivia gtx b4 them finally wore them out I used them for teal season this year no waders to hot.
© 24hourcampfire