Home
Posted By: Tarkio Mystery Ranch - 11/03/15
Looking toward packing in and hunting a little with the kids now.

Looking for a backpack that I can haul a quarter with or meat.

I have a mystery ranch pack and they are fairly local. Curious how their gear works for packing game?
Posted By: conrad101st Re: Mystery Ranch - 11/03/15
I have a 7500 and its great. It is one tough mother and can handle abuse beyond logical reason, like a horse dragging it through trees.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Is it heavy??? Hell yes. But it's comfortable as can be, and with the added weight of meat it carries quite well. It is a more comfortable pack when packed to the gills verses less sturdy packs.

Lighter packs seem to carry great with lighter loads.

However, i would not get the crew cab as it has no load lifter capability, as the angles are wrong.

Here is a 6500 bag on same frame before I got the 7500. Head plus two front quarters. Worked great. It doesn't shift around and stays tight on your back.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Backroads Re: Mystery Ranch - 11/03/15

I am local to Mystery Ranch and got a crewcab at a tent sale.

Bombproof, built like a tank. You could probably pass it down to your grandkids.

Used it for 3 seasons elk hunting, and just whenever I need to carry more than lunch and a layer.

I was never happy with the weight, that sucker was heavy.

It was not good with heavy loads, the load-lifters were non-functional.

I did like the profile of it when it was compressed down, it rode nice and close.

The resale on them is amazing however, I sold it for more than I paid for it.

Now using a Paradox Evo and not interested in changing back.

YMMV.

Posted By: Tarkio Re: Mystery Ranch - 11/04/15
Originally Posted by conrad101st
I have a 7500 and its great. It is one tough mother and can handle abuse beyond logical reason, like a horse dragging it through trees.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Is it heavy??? Hell yes. But it's comfortable as can be, and with the added weight of meat it carries quite well. It is a more comfortable pack when packed to the gills verses less sturdy packs.

Lighter packs seem to carry great with lighter loads.

However, i would not get the crew cab as it has no load lifter capability, as the angles are wrong.

Here is a 6500 bag on same frame before I got the 7500. Head plus two front quarters. Worked great. It doesn't shift around and stays tight on your back.

[Linked Image]

I'd be interested In seeing pictures you have from the back to see how you used the bag to pack your quarters.
Posted By: conrad101st Re: Mystery Ranch - 11/04/15
More side view: [Linked Image]

View of back of pack:
[Linked Image]

Just stick them in with legs pointed up. Run the top straps around the shanks to really cinch em in.
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Mystery Ranch - 11/06/15
New lineup coming out in 2016. Lighter, new frame design. I'd wait and see.
Posted By: FishN4Eyes Re: Mystery Ranch - 11/06/15
Mystery Ranch packs are pretty nice.

But they are also pretty heavy.

Stone Glacier packs are sweet and I'd check those out if I was you.

I have three of their packs and love them.

They are very comfortable, extremely light and still hold up to heavy loads.

http://www.stoneglacier.com/

They are also based in Bozeman so if supporting local businesses is important to you (it is to me) they fit that bill as well.

Just my .02, I know you asked about MR not SG but thought I would share my thoughts anyway. smile
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Mystery Ranch - 11/09/15
Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes
Mystery Ranch packs are pretty nice.

But they are also pretty heavy.

Stone Glacier packs are sweet and I'd check those out if I was you.

I have three of their packs and love them.

They are very comfortable, extremely light and still hold up to heavy loads.

http://www.stoneglacier.com/

They are also based in Bozeman so if supporting local businesses is important to you (it is to me) they fit that bill as well.

Just my .02, I know you asked about MR not SG but thought I would share my thoughts anyway. smile

I appreciate it.

I have always had a decent pack around but never really used it as I am considering now, to backpack hunt, where design, functionality and fit is paramount. I will look into stone glacier.
© 24hourcampfire