Home
Posted By: GregW Backpack spotting scopes - 11/19/15
For weeklong hunts in the back country, what is everyone running for a light yet workable high quality spotter these days?

Nikon ED? Swaro?

I've got a couple of spotters neither I want to carry again backpack hunting.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Posted By: STS45 Re: Backpack spotting scopes - 11/19/15
Vortex Razor 50mm.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Backpack spotting scopes - 11/19/15
I won't even bother with scopes under 60mm any more.

Tanner
Posted By: brymoore Re: Backpack spotting scopes - 11/19/15
Originally Posted by Tanner
I won't even bother with scopes under 60mm any more.

Tanner

I agree. I sold my Nikon 50ED.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: starsky Re: Backpack spotting scopes - 11/19/15
Spotters can save you a lot of walking... Nothing under 60mm here as well.
Posted By: GregW Re: Backpack spotting scopes - 11/19/15
Originally Posted by starsky

That's the camp I am in too. Just wondering how folks are going at it these days....

I use my 85mm 4+ pound scope for all my hunts that require a spotting scope. 1-2 extra pounds in spotting scope saves me a LOT of walking......granted sometimes it causes a LOT of walking too cause I see a bruiser of an animal way further away than I would have with a 50mm spotter. wink But nice to have options. Would like to pick up a Vortex 65mm for some hunts when the 85mm 20-75X Zeiss isn't required but still would like to get a good look at things.
Posted By: KCBighorn Re: Backpack spotting scopes - 11/19/15
I use a Minox 62mm currently, and I am happy with it.

I used to have a Leupold 25x50 that came in handy as it was light and easy to carry, but I like having more x's with the Minox.
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by starsky

That's the camp I am in too. Just wondering how folks are going at it these days....

12-40x60mm HD Leupold is what I'm using.
Posted By: GregW Re: Backpack spotting scopes - 11/19/15
From Tanner...grin...
Posted By: MikeS Re: Backpack spotting scopes - 11/19/15
Swaro 65 if I feel I need a spotter...
Posted By: Calvin Re: Backpack spotting scopes - 11/19/15
Zeiss 65 15-45
15 X binos ...
Posted By: Calvin Re: Backpack spotting scopes - 11/19/15
Talus,

Just curious, but how far out can you judge antlers with 15x binos? I'd LOVE to not have to pack a spotter and binos, but with 10x I can't see G1s past about 350yds.
Yeah. About perfect for Colorado hunting IMO.
I'm really liking the Vortex 65mm that I picked up earlier this year.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Backpack spotting scopes - 11/20/15
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
I use my 85mm 4+ pound scope for all my hunts that require a spotting scope. 1-2 extra pounds in spotting scope saves me a LOT of walking......granted sometimes it causes a LOT of walking too cause I see a bruiser of an animal way further away than I would have with a 50mm spotter. wink But nice to have options. Would like to pick up a Vortex 65mm for some hunts when the 85mm 20-75X Zeiss isn't required but still would like to get a good look at things.

Luke-Get a Diascope 65mm FL and use the eye piece between your spotters.

The 50mm's are sure nice when it comes to weight and bulk. Because most 50mm's eyepieces are limited to around 30x, resolution isn't bad at those powers. It's under poorish light they really fall down.

The 60-66mm class practically double the weight and take up a lot more room in the pack. I've yet to see a spotter in this class where resolution doesn't begin to quickly fall off above 45x (although that's the top range for most of them). Including the Swaro and Leica 65mm's.
But they do much better in varying light conditions, and the higher magnification definitely helps.

It's important to note, atmospheric conditions--heat waves, mist/drizzle, failing light, windy conditions that make it difficult to hold the spotter steady, often means you're turning the magnification down anyway.

77-95mm class are ridiculously heavy, big, and....expensive. I've seen too many clients practically have heart attacks at altitude with overloaded daypacks--then again, half of the "daypacks" that have become popular are big enough to camp out for 3-4 days....

Keep in mind, most of the low and mid priced spotters can show a lot of variability in optical quality from one unit to the next.

The (top end) "name" brands like Nikon, Swaro, Leica and Zeiss don't show nearly as much variability in my experience. Plus I have a lot more confidence in their quality of build after seeing the rate at which low and mid priced optics break........

In the 50mm:
Both examples of the Opticron MM3 were the best I looked through--and I did get to compare one to the latest 50mm Nikon ED. I also had the opportunity to compare a different unit of the Nikon to a Razor 50mm, and definitely liked the Nikon better. Vortex has the best warranty, Nikon's is allegedly good, don't know anything about the Opticron.

In my book, the best compromise in weight vs quality of image is the Nikon 60mm Fieldscope ED. Although the "all body" focusing ring makes it more difficult to focus while holding the body still, nor does it stick out like focusing knobs just asking to be bent or plumb broke off (I've seen a Vortex 65mm knob bent when a horse banged its head into a guy's pack).

65mmm:
The Leica is my fav, but their warranty is hit and miss, and any significant repair requires a trip back to the motherland via slow boat. The Swaro and Ziess are a close second,the Swaro has a superb warranty and has a full blown repair facility in the States. The Leica has the dual focusing knobs recessed into the body--the best of both worlds. The Swaro has the focusing ring, Zeiss the knobs.

The Razor HD and the Vanguard Endeavor are, well,...good. The Vanguard can be had for $450 currently. We know the Vortex warranty, haven't heard anything about the Vanguard warranty.

In other words, all it takes is money.........

The problem is, once we get to spend some time looking through those breathtakingly expensive optics, the others aren't as much fun to look through. So if you don't look through anything costing more than $1200, a guy can be a lot happier with the others..... grin

Casey
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

Luke-Get a Diascope 65mm FL and use the eye piece between your spotters.

If I did that than I am afraid my 85 mm would become obsolete wink. As 56x and a 65mm scope would be tough to beat.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Backpack spotting scopes - 11/21/15
Leupold 12-40x60 is what I pack and for it's size it works great!
Posted By: mod7rem Re: Backpack spotting scopes - 11/21/15
I use a Kowa Prominar 66mm angled with 20-60× eye piece and a Slik carbon fibre tripod for my backpack hunts. Its a great combination.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Backpack spotting scopes - 11/21/15
Sirui Compact tripod with the Sirui T10 ballhead

It folds to under 13"

My new spotter is a Campfire aquired gem

Leupold Gold Ring non-HD 12-40x60

After this years use they both kick azz big time and I can see myself using this combo until I hang up my out west boots and retire from chasing elk, mule deer and pronghorn
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Backpack spotting scopes - 11/21/15
I have a Leupold 12-40 60mm that I've had forever, and that's what I use most of the time, since it is my only scope. It is not the best optical quality (non-HD version), but good enough for a lot of uses, reasonably compact, and free.

I borrowed a Vortex Razor HD 11-33X50, and it is a sweetheart of a little scope. Great quality, and the zoom range is well matched to the optics, so you don't end up with magnification that is useless. On the other hand, while using it I was wishing for the X's in my leupold. It just didn't have the reach at 33 power to do what I wanted (distinguish if a ram was full curl at a couple miles).

I am shopping for a 65mm Leica, just have trouble spending the money...
Posted By: toad Re: Backpack spotting scopes - 11/21/15
my pack spotter Leupold 15-30x50 Compact.

I recently got the Swaro ATX with 65mm and 95mm objective housings, but even the 65mm ATX dwarfs the leupold in both size and weight so the Leupold usually stays in the pack, and the Swaro usually stays in the truck.
Posted By: GregW Re: Backpack spotting scopes - 11/21/15
So it seems folks are 50/50 split....

Sacrifice some magnification, size, light gathering etc. for size and weight while others in the camp if carrying more but saving walking. I can see using both options dependent on the hunt, terrain, openness of country, etc..
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Backpack spotting scopes - 11/21/15
Originally Posted by GregW

I can see using both options dependent on the hunt, terrain, openness of country, etc..

Greg, great points.

I'm not exactly in great shape physically(or mentally) and am naturally a little lazy so the 1 or 2 days I actually 'pack' a 65 is better. That and 40x is enough for the country around here.

Unless you're one of those guys who is patient enough to sit and really dissect an area a mile away....

A big ass spotter would be the chit when you really need it.

Or better at last light? I don't know, never looked through the new uber versions.

I've been using a Minox 62 ED with the 21-42x eyepiece. Been thinking about selling it and upgrading to a Swaro 65.

Yesterday eyeballing a buck who was trotting in the wrong direction....

[Linked Image]

I used 10x42 Leupold binoculars and my Sirui compact tripod topped with a 12-40x60 Leupold Gold Ring to watch this ol' guy a couple days at over a mile

But we later decided to get close up pix

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This tired ol' 6x7 is taking a nap but showing off his left side.......cropped from the center of the spotter pic

[Linked Image]

His closeup shows him still a bit sleepy

The Three Amigos and ol' sleepy
[Linked Image]

More close ups of his left

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Backpack spotting scopes - 11/21/15
One amazing 3rd season bull Ted, sorry I missed it.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Backpack spotting scopes - 11/22/15
Originally Posted by taylorce1
One amazing 3rd season bull Ted, sorry I missed it.

You heal up then ol' Graybird and Snell will work their magic for you.

I will pack out for you
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I used .... my Sirui compact tripod .....

Great bull Ted and good spotting.

Could you give a little more detail on your tripod and the head you are using to hold the scope?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/917558-REG/sirui_bsrt005xk_t_005x_aluminum_tripod_black.html

I looked at a lot of compact tripods before I found this gem

Removable center column
Removable ball head that uses a common dovetail plate
Folds to about 12" and has 3 usable leg positions
The legs use a very fast and strong twist lock

The Sirui ball head is smooth and strong but ultra compact

I will warn anyone looking at the Mephoto Backpacker tripod
It does not have a removable center column and it does not have the 3rd leg position
Both of these are needed to be able to get low

The Sirui tripod will also go up to the mid 50's but I am not interested in a tall tripod from a backpack
Thanks Ted, I'll have a look at these.

I have a Slik and like the tripod but their heads are not real smooth and they work loose during normal use.
A good buddy of mine has the Outdoorsman tripod with the pan and tilt head

There is no better hunting tripod but it is pricey
Posted By: Wrongside Re: Backpack spotting scopes - 11/27/15
Been very happy with my little Razor 50 and compact Sirui Carbon tripod. That said, I'd carry a 80mm+ for lots of hunts, if I had one. Some things are worth the weight penalty, sometimes.
Posted By: MikeS Re: Backpack spotting scopes - 11/27/15
Regarding tripods, I've been happy with my medium outdoorsman with their PG head for BP/rough country hunts.
You need to look at the Swarovski modular system. I sold my bulky Zeiss for the 65 STX (and prolly get the 85 mm lens this year). You can always switch out and go up to the 85 mm or 95 mm lenses whenever you want.
Posted By: handwerk Re: Backpack spotting scopes - 11/27/15
I use my one and only spotter, a swaro 80 mm HD
© 24hourcampfire