Home
Do you pack it in a duffel? Carry on?

I own a Kifaru Late Season and it will serve double duty as a carry on because it is internal framed with 22" stays. Problem is I like the idea of a meat shelf and day pack.
Too big for carry on. If you don't put it something else the airline will put it in a big plastic bag and throw it in with the suitcases.
Originally Posted by CBB15
Do you pack it in a duffel?

Yes. Or a large cooler.
Depends who you fly with. On Alaska Air, they've always let me fly with my 26" Kifaru as a carry on. As long as it fits in the overhead it's good to go laugh

Tanner
I throw mine in one of these and check it in.

https://www.rei.com/product/787296/rei-pack-duffel-bag

If I have time, I take it to the post office or UPS store and ship it home on the return. That's cheaper than paying over baggage fees.
I have checked them, sometimes put them in a garbage bag to control straps getting caught. I can carry them on sometimes but usually choose not to. Usually I carry on a day talon and check the main pack.
I have flown internationaly with packs we always put them in big laundry bags and check them in. The laundry bag keeps them clean and keeps the straps in one place
I put mine into a large lightweight gym bag. That keeps all the straps, etc safe.
I carry mine on. I have to get everything for a 5 day backcountry hunt on the plane. 1 rifle case, 1 large checked bag (<50lbs) and my carry on. I use the backpack as a carry on. I only have my boots, binos, rangefinder and a few other important items in it. As long as the straps are all tied up it's not a problem. I have done this with both an Eberlestock J?? and now a Seek Outside pack (Unaweep). I also carry on a small computer bag with a book to read, my iPad mini, a pen, earphones, PowerBar, etc.
I had my decently packed kifaru G2 Longhunter and I carried it on this year (Alaska Air). Took some effort to push/squeeze it in the overhead but it was fine.... and if it doesn't work, they will give you a large plastic bag (like the ones they but car seats in at the airport when checked) and you can gate check it.
I bought a huge, cheap military duffle bag, the long load from the end variety not the top zipper model.
I have well over a hundred flights carrying my Late Season. No issues at all. Have never met an overhead bin which did not handle the pack just fine. Just take off the gunbearer smile
© 24hourcampfire