Home
I'm not sure this is the right place for this discussion, but I'll give it a shot. First off, most of the ads for puffy jackets are aimed at the active hunters. I am more of a stand hunter, but in my mind they should also be ideal for my hunting. Opinions?
Second. Between the two puffy jackets listed, any opinions on which one is better and why?

Thanks
Kuiu's warmest jacket is probably the filled with down.
Definitely seems like the Uncompahgre would be a better fit for your style
I have an uncompahngre vest, it is flat out amazing. Im a big first lite fan in general though.
The Kenai will not be as warm as the Uncompahgre. They KUIU Super down would be a better comparison and might be slightly warmer. The Kenai will breathe better when active but also provide some insulation when still. The Sitka Kelvin, Superdown and Uncompahgre will be fairly equivalent as well as some others from the non-hunting companies. I've owned all of them. All good quality stuff and you wouldn't be disappointed in any of them.

Lee
Thanks for the replies. I was and still am leaning towards the uncompahgre. My only concern with it is I read that it can be a little noisy, but I think that is something all puffy jackets have in common.
I stand hunt mostly, too. I prefer a Drake Waterfowl MST pullover. It's very warm and waterproof. I also bowhunt in it.
I'm a big fan of the Uncompahgre. Doesn't seem overly loud to me, but I don't usually bowhunt.
Starsky
That is real good to hear. Thanks
d30-
Are you looking to use the piece as the outermost layer?
Skane
Primary no. The only time I would wear it as the outer coat is when it is not very cold. My 2 year plan is a puffy jacket this year and the Kuiu guide jacket (as the outer piece) next year.
That's a good plan - I partner the same combo. wink
Like Ebby mentioned about - the Kenai won't be as warm (nor as windproof) as the Uncompahgre.

If you do go with Kenai, order it at least one size larger than what you'd normally wear.
Ordering Kuiu tops is not a good thing if conscientious of your weight. The pants are a lot more true to size.

I've found the Kenai to be quiet compared to others. Its probably not a big deal if worn under an outer layer, which I most always will, but I get annoyed easily. LOL
That is encouraging that someone else is using the same combination that I want to try.
Thanks
ctsmith
I have heard that about the Kuiu products, especially the tops. I'm hoping they come to the Great American Outdoor show in Pa next February so I can try their products on.
I used the firstlite puffy in the Colorado and Idaho high country this year. Super impressed with the warmth. No experience with the Kuiu.

Regards, Brand
Most of my hunting kit is kuiu, but I love the uncomphagre. It's the best insulation layer I've found; warm, light, breathable, and quiet. I have a kudu spindrift and there's no comparison.
I've worn my uncomphagre twice hunting this year and tore the outer fabric on both trips. Casual use around camp - I wasn't breaking brush. I like FL but I'm done with this coat. I'm moving back to my Kuiu guide jacket and puffy.
© 24hourcampfire