Home
Posted By: Tanner Solo Bull - 10/26/16
After starsky left to tend to his corn-fields in Nebraska, I still had an elk tag burning a hole in my pocket and a few more days to dick around. So the next day after getting his bull out I took a real light spike camp up into a Wilderness area I'm somewhat familiar with and pounded out 7 miles early in the morning. Found this guy bugling up high in the fog with 7 cows and a shot opportunity came at about 5PM last night so I took it. Solo elk hunting is fun but I'm pretty glad my dad and brother met me halfway down the trail to help out with the pack-out. There's still some adventure out there.... Not quite a Broadmouth Canyon type experience but still fun.

[Linked Image]

Happy elk camp this morning.
[Linked Image]

Pretty happy to see these guys when I was in the spirit world packing down....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tanner

Posted By: Whitebird Re: Solo Bull - 10/26/16
Tanner.... very nice bull. Congratulations.
Posted By: ryoushi Re: Solo Bull - 10/26/16
First a buck, then a bull, sheesh, you need to stop shooting all the dinks... grin well done!
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: Solo Bull - 10/26/16
Very nice bull taken on what sounds like a fun adventure. Congratulations!
Posted By: NTG Re: Solo Bull - 10/26/16
Very nice! Taken with your 7-08 by chance?
Posted By: laker Re: Solo Bull - 10/26/16
Damn nice bull
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Solo Bull - 10/26/16
Excellent!!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Solo Bull - 10/26/16
love those dark-horned bulls...
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Solo Bull - 10/26/16
You the MAN !! Great looking bull & a hunt to remember ! Conglads--Bob
Posted By: 30338 Re: Solo Bull - 10/26/16
Well deserved bull there. Good work Tanner.
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Solo Bull - 10/26/16
Well done,thanks for posting the pic's. I dont envy you having to pack it out..But its a satisfying misery!
Posted By: Higginez Re: Solo Bull - 10/26/16
Wow! Very nice.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Solo Bull - 10/26/16
Very impressive, Tanner. Nice bull.

donsm70
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Solo Bull - 10/26/16
Originally Posted by Tanner

[Linked Image]

Tanner

How did you pull this off? That POS wont even lock the bolt down with the safety on! Glad you werent charged by anything.

Stuff you need to think about while sitting around.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Solo Bull - 10/26/16
Congrats, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Solo Bull - 10/26/16
What sling do you have on your rifle?
Posted By: 79S Re: Solo Bull - 10/26/16
After starsky left to tend to his corn-fields in Nebraska, I still had an elk tag burning a hole in my pocket and a few more days to dick around. So the next day after getting his bull out I took a real light spike camp up into a Wilderness area I'm somewhat familiar with and pounded out 7 miles early in the morning. Found this guy bugling up high in the fog with 7 cows and a shot opportunity came at about 5PM last night so I took it. Solo elk hunting is fun but I'm pretty glad my dad and brother met me halfway down the trail to help out with the pack-out. There's still some adventure out there.... Not quite a Broadmouth Canyon type experience but still fun.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tanner

Congrats on a nice bull! What pack do you use??
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Solo Bull - 10/27/16
What a great looking family. Tanner you are a blessed man.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Solo Bull - 10/27/16
Great bull! Congrats on an awesome hunt.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Solo Bull - 10/27/16
Awesome! Great bull!
Posted By: smokepole Re: Solo Bull - 10/27/16
Damn Tanner, he's a beauty. Congrats on the bull and the year you're having. 7 RM, long shot?? I liked the way you slipped in the references to corn farmers and the Broadmoor, LOL.
Posted By: PatagoniaHunter Re: Solo Bull - 10/27/16
Great hunt, and bull, Tanner!!! The way I REALLY LIKE to hunt!! Congrats!

PH
Posted By: rost495 Re: Solo Bull - 10/27/16
Nice job! I'm envious as I'll likely never tag an elk, and then you go smack a dark one! I've loved dark antlers ever since I saw a bull out of Idaho once as a youth!!!

Great job, glad you had some help on the pack out, but then again if you didn't, you'd have been fine too!

Jeff
Posted By: pointer Re: Solo Bull - 10/27/16
Very well done. My brother would, maybe, have sent a reply text of "good luck"...
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Solo Bull - 10/27/16
Congrats!
Posted By: Brad Re: Solo Bull - 10/27/16
Good job Tanner!

I love those dark horns. I can't imagine how fun it must be to rifle hunt rutting elk.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Solo Bull - 10/27/16
Originally Posted by Brad
Good job Tanner!

I love those dark horns. I can't imagine how fun it must be to rifle hunt rutting elk.

I was very surprised to hear this bull bugling that much. When I first heard him through the fog, I almost thought it had to be another hunter up there. He would bugle once every 2 hours or so, and then really started ripping them off consistently in the late afternoon. Finally the fog cleared and I got eyes on him and his group of cows. They weren't throaty, gritty rut sounding bugles, so maybe just locating and herding his cows up. I am no elk expert so that's just a guess, but I will definitely always remember hearing him up there! One of the coolest sounds in the world I think.

Tanner
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tanner

Congrats on a nice bull! What pack do you use??

Kifaru AMR with their Duplex frame. The sling is their Gunbearer. Very good system for sure.

Tanner
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Without a doubt.... They saved my butt yesterday. I'd still be packing out!

Tanner
Posted By: laker Re: Solo Bull - 10/27/16
What you kill him with and what bullet?
Originally Posted by laker
What you kill him with and what bullet?

My 7 Rem Mag, 168 VLD at 498yds. Slightly quartering away, entered in front of the first rib and he dropped like a sack of potatoes. I'm thinking it must have blown up his pumper but I didn't inspect too much.

Tanner
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Solo Bull - 10/27/16
Great looking bull.

7 easy miles....Lol. Only easy going in!
Posted By: shootsacreed Re: Solo Bull - 10/27/16
Another beauty. Guiding and hunting suit you well.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Solo Bull - 10/27/16
Congrats! Fun to see a strong young man using what he's got and doing it well. You are also blessed to have family like that.

Posted By: varmintsinc Re: Solo Bull - 10/27/16
Excellent work, sweat equity always adds to the enjoyment.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Solo Bull - 10/27/16
Another fine critter!! Congrats on the nice bull, appears your having a pretty good hunting season again this year.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Solo Bull - 10/27/16
That's a great hunt. You make it sound easy.
Posted By: centershot Re: Solo Bull - 10/27/16
Congrats - 7 miles is a loooong ways to carry a bull.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Solo Bull - 10/27/16
Nice going Tanner. My back hurts just looking at that bad boy with the dark antlers!
Posted By: aheider Re: Solo Bull - 10/27/16
Bad ass!
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Solo Bull - 10/27/16
Great bull Tanner, congrats. And good job taking pics along the way. I bet you'll cherish those and the memories, down the road.

Jason
Posted By: 4ager Re: Solo Bull - 10/27/16
Friggin' AWESOME!
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Solo Bull - 10/27/16
Tanner;
Good evening to you sir, thanks so much for sharing your hunt photos and story with us.

Congratulations on that nice dark maned bull and even further, hearty congratulations on having family members who'll help with a pack out. That - as you know - is the grandest part of the tale.

Thanks again and all the best to you and your family this fall Tanner.

Dwayne
Posted By: SU35 Re: Solo Bull - 10/27/16
Good job! great bull, what a load of fun!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Solo Bull - 10/28/16
Very nice he's a beauty!
Posted By: SKane Re: Solo Bull - 10/28/16
Originally Posted by rosco1

How did you pull this off? That POS wont even lock the bolt down with the safety on! Glad you werent charged by anything.

laugh laugh

Nicely done, Tanner!
Posted By: deflave Re: Solo Bull - 10/28/16
Tanner,

You're handsome as ever.

Let me know if you ever want to share a tent.

Clark
Posted By: wageslave Re: Solo Bull - 10/28/16
Good shít, Tanman.
Posted By: BravoFoxtrot Re: Solo Bull - 10/28/16
Nicely done!
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Solo Bull - 10/28/16
Damn nice!!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Solo Bull - 10/28/16
Very cool!

That is a gorgeous bull!
Posted By: Okbow87 Re: Solo Bull - 10/28/16
Some guys have all the luck... weird.
Posted By: cast10K Re: Solo Bull - 10/28/16
Beautiful animal, congrats.

That big 7 mag didn't slow you down much even on a solo backpack hunt. At any point do you leave it in the safe and pull out a montana or similar?
Posted By: Tanner Re: Solo Bull - 10/28/16
Originally Posted by cast10K
Beautiful animal, congrats.

That big 7 mag didn't slow you down much even on a solo backpack hunt. At any point do you leave it in the safe and pull out a montana or similar?

cast, that 7 mag isn't too much of a lunker, I think it weighs something like 8.5# all up. Definitely not a lightweight but it's a rifle I am super comfortable with. Really the only time I use my Montana anymore is when I'm guiding up north.

Tanner
Posted By: 4ager Re: Solo Bull - 10/28/16
Tanner,

"Wilderness area you are somewhat familiar with"? One I might know?

If so, I won't hate you....much....
Posted By: Ghostwalker Re: Solo Bull - 10/28/16
That's a great bull fella.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Solo Bull - 10/28/16
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Without a doubt.... They saved my butt yesterday. I'd still be packing out!
Tanner

It's a blessing to have help when packing animals off the hill

Posted By: LazyV Re: Solo Bull - 10/30/16
Congratulations Tanner, sounds like a solid hunt all the way around.
Posted By: TDN Re: Solo Bull - 10/30/16
Way to go, bud!! Congrats!
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: Solo Bull - 10/30/16
Excellent job, My Brother is 52 and my dad is 80, my brother probably would not have answered the phone knowing I was elk hunting and my dad has a tough time following along in general conversation, let alone pack an elk out. You are blessed to have family support your adventures.
Posted By: alaska_lanche Re: Solo Bull - 10/31/16
Nice Tanner that is a brute!! Congrats man!
Posted By: Stick1330 Re: Solo Bull - 10/31/16
I was really dreading getting up to go to the gym in the morning, thanks for the motivation. That's a great bull and overall experience, cheers.
Posted By: MikeS Re: Solo Bull - 11/10/16
Outstanding! Great hunt.
Posted By: Bater Re: Solo Bull - 11/10/16
Awesome bull!
Posted By: handwerk Re: Solo Bull - 11/11/16
Thanks for your post Tanner and congrats for getting it done, with every elk I've gotten I'm reminded on the pack out how big they are.....
Posted By: tgoode Re: Solo Bull - 11/11/16
Great looking elk Tanner!!
Posted By: greentimber Re: Solo Bull - 11/15/16
Great bull.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Solo Bull - 11/18/16
Beautiful bull and great pics. Good job, for a young man.
Posted By: Kevin_T Re: Solo Bull - 11/18/16
Love solo elk hunting ..its the solo pack out that sucks !!! Well done
Posted By: LKEYES Re: Solo Bull - 11/20/16
Congrats Tanner, solo hunting sure isn't for the faint of heart, but it's very rewarding when it all comes together that's for sure. Plus when you have reinforcements to help that makes it a little easier for sure.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Solo Bull - 11/20/16
Now that is hunting, uber nice work there Tanman!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Solo Bull - 11/20/16
EXCELLENT!

You have my permission to marry my beautiful step daughter...
Posted By: goodshot Re: Solo Bull - 11/20/16
You are one hell of a Hunter. It's very apparent your passion and skill set for chasing critters is second to few. Well done young man.......wish I had that drive but at 60 it's getting tough.
Posted By: STS45 Re: Solo Bull - 11/22/16
Nice! Congrats. What kind of 7mm rifle are you using? Been getting a strong itch for a 7 mag.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Solo Bull - 11/25/16
Originally Posted by STS45
Nice! Congrats. What kind of 7mm rifle are you using? Been getting a strong itch for a 7 mag.

I just saw your question, sorry for the delay.

That's just an older factory stainless 700 7mm Rem Mag bedded into a McM Gamescout, topped with a SWFA 10x42 MQ in Talleys LWs. The bolt has some bling done by Feldkamp but that's about it. Pretty low drama and affordable rifle and it's been super reliable so far. I'm a big fan.

Tanner
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Solo Bull - 11/28/16
Congrats on a great bull and solo effort!
Posted By: cast10K Re: Solo Bull - 11/29/16
Tanner - is the twist on your factory barrel the reason you're not using 195 bergers or 180 scenars?
Posted By: Tanner Re: Solo Bull - 11/29/16
Tanner - is the twist on your factory barrel the reason you're not using 195 bergers or 180 scenars?

No sir, my barrel stabilizes the 180s fine, but it shoots the 168 VLD quite a bit better and I like how they do (most of the time) on animals. The 168 and 180 are pretty much a wash for drift when you factor in the additional velocity on the 168.

I haven't tried the 195 in my barrel and don't imagine I have enough twist for it.

Tanner
Posted By: laker Re: Solo Bull - 11/29/16

No sir, my barrel stabilizes the 180s fine, but it shoots the 168 VLD quite a bit better and I like how they do (most of the time) on animals. The 168 and 180 are pretty much a wash for drift when you factor in the additional velocity on the 168.

I haven't tried the 195 in my barrel and don't imagine I have enough twist for it.

Tanner

You say most of the time for the 168s What problems have you had
Posted By: STS45 Re: Solo Bull - 11/30/16
Originally Posted by laker

Tanner

You say most of the time for the 168s What problems have you had

I was wondering the same thing.
Posted By: TXFire Re: Solo Bull - 12/15/16
My style of hunt! Great read! I'm trying to decide where out west I'm headed next year!
Posted By: lawnman Re: Solo Bull - 12/17/16
Awesome congrats! Tanner, one or two man tent? I see it's a big agnes fly creek?
Posted By: fredIII Re: Solo Bull - 12/17/16
In Rosee county that would have been a spike. Great pro pics too. Funk chit is easy for guys like us. LMFAO co dinks are still dinks. 👍🏻tanner
Posted By: smokepole Re: Solo Bull - 12/18/16
Cy
Originally Posted by fredIII
In Rosee county that would have been a spike. Great pro pics too. Funk chit is easy for guys like us. LMFAO co dinks are still dinks. 👍🏻tanner

Damn, they must make sum good likker in Rosee county.
Posted By: efw Re: Solo Bull - 12/19/16
You so totally are the man Tanner. That is as cool as it gets great bull excellent work on yer own!
Posted By: Tanner Re: Solo Bull - 12/19/16
Originally Posted by lawnman
Awesome congrats! Tanner, one or two man tent? I see it's a big agnes fly creek?

lawnman, that's a a BA Fly Creek UL2. I've used it for 2 people before but it's a way better one man tent in reality. Way too cramped with two dudes. Nice and light for these type of hunts though!

Tanner
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Solo Bull - 12/25/16
Originally Posted by aheider
Bad ass!

Plus one, great job across the board!
Posted By: Shag Re: Solo Bull - 12/25/16
Way to live brother...
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Solo Bull - 01/03/17
Tuner,

Awesome bull and great story. Great shot, too!
© 24hourcampfire