Home
Posted By: prm Staying Warm - 11/22/16
Nothing like a cool, windy say in the stand to get you thinking. What is the most effective insulation for clothing?

Not really a backpack hunting specific question, but related. IMO the greatest test of insulation from purely a warmth perspective is the treestand. I am interested in creating a combination of clothes to stay warm in a stand, but not have too much bulk that makes shooting a bow problematic. I also have to hike in a mile or so to some stands.

Right now, I have a bottom layer of First Lite merino wool, then a warm wool sweater, a Cabela's primaloft jacket, Kuiu DCS guide jacket and then I can top it off with a Cabela's Predator® Camo Performance Fleece Jacket with wind block. This works pretty well, but what other options are out there? If the temps are around freezing and the wind is not strong I don't need the fleece. The DCS jacket is compressing the primaloft, I wonder if a looser fit would help retain heat?

What are those of you up north doing to stay warm?
Posted By: KCBighorn Re: Staying Warm - 11/22/16
I would definitely try another coat that isn't compressing your insulation layer.

I don't have any revolutionary ideas, but things that have worked for me are going to a hooded down jacket (Kuiu) for my insulation layer. I have been very impressed with the added warmth the down hood provides.
I always use a waterproof/windproof outer layer to cut out the wind. If it's brutally cold out I usually go with a down vest to insulate the core as well.
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Staying Warm - 11/22/16
I wear a down sweater jacket over a couple of insulated long sleeve shirts. Then I cover the down with a thin rain shell. The shell is windproof, and the down is comfy warm and the whole setup is less bulky than most "hunting jackets". Top it off with a hat and gloves and I am good to go down to about 10 degrees. Any colder than that and I swap the down puffer for a warmer down jacket underneath. My legs rarely get cold so I wear midweight long underwear and my regular hunting pants. 600 gram thinsulate boots with regular socks are plenty warm for me as well. My feet get cold if I wear bulky socks.
Posted By: wildcat33 Re: Staying Warm - 11/23/16
Originally Posted by KCBighorn
I would definitely try another coat that isn't compressing your insulation layer.

^This.

The DCS jacket is pretty slim fit. Sounds like you got some nice gear, maybe add a full weight hooded down coat to your arsenal if you're looking to pick something up?
Posted By: Brad Re: Staying Warm - 11/23/16
I'm of the opinion, on a stand, nothing beats a heavy wool coat. LL Bean may still sell the ones with a thinsulate liner.
Posted By: pointer Re: Staying Warm - 11/23/16
Originally Posted by Brad
I'm of the opinion, on a stand, nothing beats a heavy wool coat. LL Bean may still sell the ones with a thinsulate liner.
IMO only if they are windproof.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Staying Warm - 11/23/16
If I'm going out on a really cold day, I'll put on a merino blend base layer (the cheap Costco stuff), military polypro layer over that, then an insulated bib/parka that is windproof/thinsulate.

Keep zip vents open and move slow enough to not sweat, when moving.

Wool knit hat, thick neck gaiter, and heavy OP gloves for sitting around in.

I've popped a Hot-Hands or two and put them inside my parka as well, if sitting around.

Most of the me, if it's that cold, I'm not going out too far or long.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Staying Warm - 11/23/16
Now there's also this option on a cold windy day.....grin,

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Staying Warm - 11/23/16
Originally Posted by prm
Nothing like a cool, windy say in the stand to get you thinking. What is the most effective insulation for clothing?

Not really a backpack hunting specific question, but related. IMO the greatest test of insulation from purely a warmth perspective is the treestand. I am interested in creating a combination of clothes to stay warm in a stand, but not have too much bulk that makes shooting a bow problematic. I also have to hike in a mile or so to some stands.

Right now, I have a bottom layer of First Lite merino wool, then a warm wool sweater, a Cabela's primaloft jacket, Kuiu DCS guide jacket and then I can top it off with a Cabela's Predator® Camo Performance Fleece Jacket with wind block. This works pretty well, but what other options are out there? If the temps are around freezing and the wind is not strong I don't need the fleece. The DCS jacket is compressing the primaloft, I wonder if a looser fit would help retain heat?

What are those of you up north doing to stay warm?

Below zero with a wind on stand can be a challenge of willpower. Thin and thick layer of Merino wool, wool sweater, maybe a goose down vest over that, depends on the thickness of the two. Wool pants and wool jacket of maximum thickness - yes they have some weight. Fleece balaclava, and a wool trooper hat.
My wool is Sleeping Indian (now defunct) or King of the Mountain.
Wool or down gloves.
A pair of silk or Thinsulate socks with a thick wool pair over that. If your feet tend to sweat or the walk to the stand is at least a half mile, I'll wear some cotton socks out to the stand and switch them out.
Don't put all this stuff on at the camp or cabin. I carry the wool jacket and keep the cap loose. You don't want to get steamed up and them sit for hours.

Also, I have quite a bit of Kuiu stuff but I wouldn't wear a DCS Guide Jacket in this application.

By the way, we have had to do this very thing in New Mexico in Jan. on our elk hunts. Temps have dropped to -20* and lower in the morning. We actually start hiking quite chilled with extra clothing in the packs. If we get to a spot and believe to be there for some time, we will switch out a sweaty base layer top and put on new wool socks. Waiting and glassing in clammy clothing is not enjoyable.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Staying Warm - 11/23/16
I've run into the same issue before. I've been hunting in NW and central PA for 40 years (painful to say that....).

I've worn alot of wool but find it way to heavy and when wet is heavier. Last year I bought a set of First Lite Sanctuary bibs and coat. It is fairly lightweight. I'll try it this upcoming week and see how it does.

If it's cold, I plan is to wear Merino wool base layer (icebreaker 260 top, FL Allegheny bottom), FL Labrador sweater, FL Uncompagrhe puffy, FL Sanctuary, Cabelas Whitetail boots (1200 gr). Sounds like alot of clothes but sitting from before daylight till dark in 25-30 temps with high humidity can be challenging, especially if wind is thrown in.
Posted By: tdbob Re: Staying Warm - 11/23/16
A neck gaiter or buff helps a lot in staying warm w/o adding much weight or bulk.
Posted By: prm Re: Staying Warm - 11/24/16
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Now there's also this option on a cold windy day.....grin,

[Linked Image]

I have that option for elk hunting!
Posted By: Starman Re: Staying Warm - 11/24/16
Originally Posted by prm

Right now, I have a bottom layer of First Lite merino wool, then a warm wool sweater, a Cabela's primaloft jacket,
Kuiu DCS guide jacket and then I can top it off with a Cabela's Predator® Camo Performance Fleece Jacket with wind block.

How come you don't have a down mid- layer? You could reduce your complex layering and less effective synthetics
by employing down. - No man-made or natural fibre beats the thermal efficiency of premium high-loft goose down.

http://rab.equipment/us/mens/insulation/positron-jacket-30

1- A skin/base layer mid-weight (260gm) merino 'body fit' Ice Breaker,
2- down jacket (hydrophobic down and 100% wind-proof outer) ,
3- full protective shell layer.....what more do you really need?
Posted By: prm Re: Staying Warm - 11/24/16
Down is a consideration. The primaloft is warm, but the one I have is relatively light. Eyeing a Kuiu super down jacket and some cabelas wooltimate pants with a wind blocker layer.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Staying Warm - 11/24/16
For backpacking I use a silk base layer, merino SS shirt, merino LS shirt, Sporthill 3SP jacket, Costco down jacket mid-layer, and Kuiu Guide jacket outer layer. I ordered the Guide jacket a size large so I could fit a few layers under it. Then I wear a merino toque with a Guide beanie, and a wool neck gaiter.

When I'm not walking too far, Canadian military standard issue wool is about as good as I've found.
Posted By: prm Re: Staying Warm - 11/26/16
I ordered the pants and a larger jacket that should work better with a down layer. I'll have a first lite merino wool base, cabelas wooltimate pants, a Kuhl wool sweater top, Kuiu super down jacket and an outer layer
Posted By: LostArra Re: Staying Warm - 11/27/16
I've found the fancy technical gear (Kuiu, FL, Sitka) to be less effective for inactive hunting like treestands except for maybe a down layer.

Something I have found useful is a wool cycling jersey as a mid layer with chemical handwarmers in the pockets which are conveniently located over your kidneys where there is a lot of blood flow.
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Staying Warm - 11/27/16
Merino wool base top and bottoms
Wool blend socks
Down vest
Wind proof synthetic jacket and pants
Beanie and neck gator
Posted By: 16bore Re: Staying Warm - 12/02/16
Down or similar synthetic.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Staying Warm - 12/02/16
Originally Posted by tdbob
A neck gaiter or buff helps a lot in staying warm w/o adding much weight or bulk.

Truth. A merino balaclava is a damned good thing to have.

Down or puffy mid-layer is a must-have as well.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Staying Warm - 12/02/16
Insulated bibs, or actual coveralls, are the first start for staying warm on stand when it's actually cold.

A hood is next.

Then something to cover your face, especially your lips. Don't ask me why, but if you cover your lips with some light fabric, your body thinks that it is much warmer.

Use vests for torso insulation, so that your arms don't get cramped/bound-up at the elbows, which cuts circulation to your hands. And do not ever leave your wrists sticking out at the top of your gloves, or your hands will lose all the warm circulation.
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: Staying Warm - 12/03/16
A cold day in the stand is much easier to mitigate than a cold day hiking and then glassing. For the stand:

1) Wear the absolute minimum walking in to your stand. Be chilly. Pack the rest.

2) When you get to the stand, put your outer clothes on, followed by insulated coveralls, followed by Ice Breaker boot blankets, followed by a piece of closed-cell foam under your feet and azz. OR:

3) Carry a sleeping bag and sit in that. Yes, I mean in your treestand.

If you must hike and glass extensively, the high dollar stuff shines. But it's never possible to hike in all your outerwear, then be warm for a long time when you stop.

Posted By: trf215 Re: Staying Warm - 12/05/16
Wool baselayers. I like Woolpower, especially their 200 and 400 gram union suits, 400 gram bottoms and 600 gram sweater.

Midlayer - Down and primoloft in jackets and vests. I have most of the pricey stuff and like Sitka the best.

Outer layer - Parka and bibs. Must be wind proof and at least water resistant. Lots of choices but I like Sitka Fanatic and Incinerator gear. Wet wool is just too heavy for me now at my age.

Head - Balaclavas - Woolpower, Black Rock Gear
Hat - Raven Wear Noggin Boggin, Sitka Fanatic Beanie
Neck Gaiter - Raven Wear, Sitka

Hands - Sitka Incinerator hand muff, fanatic gloves, Black Rock Gear down fold back mittens, chemical heat packs

Wild Cards - Get a cheap thin vest and have large pockets sewn on the inside to hold chemical heat packs.
- Slumberjack Thermal and Artic Cloaks. They are each like a sleeping bag with a hood and magnetized arm slits. Clip the bag to your backpack for transport and throw it on at the bottom of your stand in less than a minute. They are very warm and user friendly. They will definitely reduce the amount of cold weather clothes you need. I was very surprised at how much I liked the cloaks.

Posted By: hanco Re: Staying Warm - 12/07/16
I have glass windows and a heater..
© 24hourcampfire