Home
Posted By: bwinters Kifaru pack and options - 03/13/17
I've decided I need a Kifaru pack. I tried one on over the weekend from a Fire member and really liked the way it fit. Definitely a Hunter Frame with 24" length but am trying to decide between bags and various options. The intended use is 1-3 day backpack trips in the elk woods in October and Smoky Mtns during spring/summer/fall. I used a Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 last year and think it has plenty of volume for both times of the year and trip types.

I found last year I like pockets and organization over simple volume and a main compartment. I also like the panel load feature.

Here's what I'm chewing on:

Option 1:The 2 bag system

Hunter Frame
Timberline 2 Bag
22 Mag bag

I really liked the modularity of the Kuiu system - pack in with the big bag, switch bags, day hunt with smaller bag. When you kill, the smaller bag is large enough to allow pack out of first load/horns.

I'm trying to decide between the Timberline 2 or Mtn Warrior for the big bag either will have the Guide Lid.

Option 2: the 1 bag option

Hunter Frame
Woodsman w/ guide lid

The Woodsman is 3000 to 4000 cu inches, depending on how you run the snow collar and without the Guide Lid, 5200 with snow collar fully extended and a Guide Lid. I could also add a Spotting Scope side pocket for a bit of extra space.

I'm thinking the Woodsman option, with Guide lid, may have enough cu inches to haul 1-3 days worth of elk gear and is small enough to be used for a day pack.

A note: Some/many/most are going to say buy the Mtn Warrior/Timberline 2 and compress it down and only buy 1 bag. My issue is that I have a short torso and the main bag will stick up above my head - and snag on everything I'm trying to move under/around - hence why I prefer the 2 bag option.

Thoughts on any of the bags or options I've mentioned here?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Kifaru pack and options - 03/13/17
They quit making the Mountain Rambler, a pack that would have worked really we'll for you, load sling and long side pockets, were I to choose now the Woodsman would be my pick I too like a smaller pack!
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Kifaru pack and options - 03/13/17
The Woodsman does not have independent compression straps which is a deal breaker for me. There is always gear fastened to the side of my pack with the compression straps. When the center buckle is unlatched, the gear on both sides is unsecured. Not only does this create a hassle, there will be a day when you dump something unintentionally. Just hope it doesn't result in your rifle scope bouncing off a rock.

I ran the Mountain Warrior in day mode this past year and was not happy with it in day mode. Just too much pack, but to each his own.
Posted By: handwerk Re: Kifaru pack and options - 03/13/17
although I know longer have one I think you'd be happy with the timberline 2, if that frame is a good fit for your build you can't go wrong with a kifaru.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Kifaru pack and options - 03/14/17
Good info on the Woodsman.

I am leaning toward the 2 pack option and running a Timberline 2 and 22 mag.

Keep the thoughts coming!
Posted By: Scott Re: Kifaru pack and options - 03/14/17
According to Kifaru, the Mtn Rambler is being redesigned and will come out later this year. I considered waiting on that but the Mtn Warrior came up used at a good price.

I don't think the Mtn Warrior will be above your head in day mode, depending on how you pack it. I'll try to load it up that way tonight and post a pic if you want. I've been wanting to see what the weight comes in at anyway. I'm putting a std lid on it and may add a medium pocket. If I need more volume, I can replace std lid with ILBE lid I think.

Also looking at having a guy make bellow side pockets like on the DT2/Reckoning/etc to attach with 3-bar sliders to the sides if I need more volume. Should weigh less than std zip pockets.

DT2 - I liked this but like a center zip more.

I've never seen the need for a second pack, especially if you have enough pockets (both built in and add ons) on your main pack and a guide lid.

The first Kifaru pack I bought was the original internal frame 7200 Timberline. Despite being quite capacious, when cinched down the pockets and sleeves worked well as a day pack. Now hunting brown bear with rain gear for 2 weeks is a different animal than a summer stroll, but again cinched down with the appropriate accessible pockets both native/tacked on has served me well for both getting to camp and then going out to glass.

For my sheep hunt I went Nomad and camp bag. for me perfect. Holds rain gear, scope and tripod easily. If I need to add on just a hair more volume I add a guide bag. My other duplex set up is an EMR for the (Timberline) above reasons.

FYI I've got 2 extra frames (24 & 26") and 2 DT2s gathering dust, all in Foliage.

Posted By: Tanner Re: Kifaru pack and options - 03/14/17
I'd keep it simple and go Hunter frame, Timberline 2 bag, Guide lid, and a couple small belt pouches to stick on the bag or belt for random small gear. Put a gunbearer on there for hunting and you're set to jet.

Tanner
Tanner,

That is the exact same set up that I have it does everything! That said I still have too many packs!

Lefty
Posted By: smokepole Re: Kifaru pack and options - 03/14/17
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano
The first Kifaru pack I bought was the original internal frame 7200 Timberline. Despite being quite capacious, when cinched down the pockets and sleeves worked well as a day pack.

This is where I am as far as pack size. B, I can't help on your choice because I'm a "duffel bag on a frame" guy and I like the longhunter Guide. I also have a timberline II but I find myself using the longhunter more. Without the side pockets it's actually pretty svelte as a day pack cinched down tight and I'm never wanting for pack space, like with the first load of meat and extra gear stuffed in.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Kifaru pack and options - 03/14/17
I've got the Mountain Warrior with a belt pocket, a nalgene bottle pocket, and a Kifaru Gunbearer. I can load more meat in it than I can carry anymore. Its a nice system as are your other choices.
Posted By: joshf303 Re: Kifaru pack and options - 03/14/17
Originally Posted by Tanner
I'd keep it simple and go Hunter frame, Timberline 2 bag, Guide lid, and a couple small belt pouches to stick on the bag or belt for random small gear. Put a gunbearer on there for hunting and you're set to jet.

Tanner

OP... I'd be all ears here...

Had the same question a few years ago and got pretty much the same response from Tanner. I dig the Timberline 2 bag, and other than upgrading mine to a duplex frame I can't think of anything I'd change about it.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Kifaru pack and options - 03/14/17
I can be led to water๐Ÿ˜Ž

Think Tanner's idea is a good option. If I want a day work can always order the 22 mag later.
Posted By: starsky Re: Kifaru pack and options - 03/14/17
Mountain Warrior and DT2 are great packs. Either could easily be used as a daypack IMO.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Kifaru pack and options - 03/14/17
Look at some of the MT Ramblers videos to see if it's something that you might like, then call Kifaru and see when the newly designed model might be available!
Posted By: aheider Re: Kifaru pack and options - 03/14/17

Tanner

I agree with this. I have the TD1 and a Mag 22. But I wouldn't pack the Mag 22 to swap it once I set up camp. That seems silly.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Kifaru pack and options - 03/15/17
Originally Posted by aheider

Tanner

I agree with this. I have the TD1 and a Mag 22. But I wouldn't pack the Mag 22 to swap it once I set up camp. That seems silly.

Nobody seems to like my 2 bag idea eek

I did it last year and liked it. I'm going to try the DT2 and see if I like it as a day pack. The 22 mag is only an extra $260 if I don't like the backpack as day pack idea.
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Kifaru pack and options - 03/15/17
Originally Posted by bwinters

Nobody seems to like my 2 bag idea eek

I did it last year and liked it. I'm going to try the DT2 and see if I like it as a day pack. The 22 mag is only an extra $260 if I don't like the backpack as day pack idea.

I agree. Count me in the two bag camp.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Kifaru pack and options - 03/15/17
Bringing two bags on a backpack hunt is absolutely silly and a waste of space and weight, if that's what you meant. If you meant that you'd just like to have two bags to swap on your frame and to keep at home, then that makes sense. I personally have a 22 Mag, Timberline 2, and AMR. But I would never bring two on the same hunt.

Tanner
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Kifaru pack and options - 03/15/17
I love my 26" frame and Mountain Warrior. I fit my day gear and entire bear inside last year. It will do everything you need and still compact for day pack mode.
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Kifaru pack and options - 03/15/17
Bringing two bags on a backpack hunt is absolutely silly and a waste of space and weight, if that's what you meant. If you meant that you'd just like to have two bags to swap on your frame and to keep at home, then that makes sense. I personally have a 22 Mag, Timberline 2, and AMR. But I would never bring two on the same hunt.

Tanner

Agree 100%. I didnt read the OP good enough. Backpack hunt = 1 pack for sure. I used the Mountain Warrior in the role of a true daypack (not a backpack hunt). It certainly was adequate but not ideal.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Kifaru pack and options - 03/15/17

Tanner

That is what I mean't. Not too sure its silly, especially if the bigger pack's profile isn't conducive to hunting in the timber. I've never tried a Kifaru but can assure you some of the competitors aren't worth a shiite in day pack mode.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Kifaru pack and options - 03/15/17
It's absolutely silly with a Kifaru. I've hunted and killed animals in the timber with a Kifaru on and had no issues (AMR compressed).

Tanner
Posted By: smokepole Re: Kifaru pack and options - 03/15/17
That is what I mean't. Not too sure its silly, especially if the bigger pack's profile isn't conducive to hunting in the timber. I've never tried a Kifaru but can assure you some of the competitors aren't worth a shiite in day pack mode.

B, think of it this way. The limiting factor in how svelte the pack is when you're going through brush is the frame, not the bag. If you cinch down the compression straps with a partial load the pack will be as wide as the frame and as tall as the frame, but no less in either dimension.

So changing out the bags won't make a difference in how small you can make the pack, with a daypack-sized load aboard.
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: Kifaru pack and options - 03/17/17
I have the 26" frame with the DT2. I also have the cargo panel. Usually, I just run the standard lid.

That pack is awesome, I dont even really look at packs anymore because Im happy with what I have.
Posted By: SeanD Re: Kifaru pack and options - 03/21/17
I'm a fan of the big bag. The first time you have to stuff an entire deer or similar in your pack plus gear, you may very well start to think maybe the small bag daypack on kifaru frame is a silly idea. I sure did.

I tried a 3500 bag system on my kifaru frame and it sucked for me. Great unless I killed something. Now I run a DT1 bag all the time. Cinches down small enough when empty it's no issue.
It's absolutely silly with a Kifaru. I've hunted and killed animals in the timber with a Kifaru on and had no issues (AMR compressed).

Tanner

Well said!!! A well designed packbag should compress down amazingly small. To a point where having a 7K cu in bag compressed is dang near the same size as a 2000 cu in bag on the same frame.

I personally hate strapping on gear to the outside of a small pack when I kill something and have to put meat in the pack I end up looking like the dang Beverly Hillbillies.

Cubic inches are light and I'd rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

Though I do prefer the Mountain Warrior over the Timberline 2 wink
Posted By: bwinters Re: Kifaru pack and options - 03/23/17
After chewing on comments here and discussing with the Kifaru guys, I've changed my thought process a bit. I'm looking at a Reckoning bag on the Hunter frame. According to Kifaru the Reckoning should compress down to frame size but still be big enough for 1-3 day hunts. Always has the pocket option to add a bit of organization.

Kifaru usually has a Fathers Day and Black Friday sale. Based on past sales, I doubt the Reckoning will be on the sales flyer.......
Posted By: bwinters Re: Kifaru pack and options - 03/24/17
Pulled the trigger today on a new Hunter frame and Reckoning bag. Thanks all for the comments and ideas.
Posted By: prm Re: Kifaru pack and options - 04/17/17
Do you have it? If so, thoughts?

I have been thinking about a new pack and that is the combination I settled on after thinking through my use cases. Adding a water bottle bag and a small waist bag for my camera. What I haven't been able to see is how useful the side pockets are. Stick with those for snacks and other items I will get during the day or add a zippered pocket. Going with Ranger Green.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Kifaru pack and options - 04/18/17
Got it about a week ago. I've been hauling it around with 50 lbs in it.

I really like the way it fits my lumbar and back - fits better than my Kuiu or other previous packs. I am struggling with getting it dialed in. I've noticed I'm getting too much pressure on my collar bones and feel like the right one is bruised a bit after my last 2 mile hike. I talked to Aaron and I made a few changes but I still get the pressure on my collar bone, especially the right one. I've adjusted it 50 times and can't seem to get it quite right.

The majority of the issue is my build - 17.5" torso, 42" chest, 33" waist - makes it hard to get a pack to fit right. I sent Aaron a pic of the pack on me. He asked how tall I was, I told him, and asked who told me to order a 26" frame? I told him it was a 24" frame and his response: "Geez you really do have a short torso." Seemingly if Kifaru can get a 4'9" women fitted with a 24" frame, a 5' 8" guy should be able to make something work.

I wish the shoulder straps were farther apart where they come off the frame. I really want to like this pack but can't see wearing a pack that hurts to wear after a couple miles. I'm not done tweaking it but have the load lifters on the lowest frame loops/setting and still getting 30 degree angle to shoulder. I think thats about as good as its gonna get.

I'm still moving the shoulder straps up/down to find a sweet spot with the least amount of pressure on my collar bones. I'll try not tightening the chest strap at all - just leave it barely taught and see how it handles. Same with the load lifters, gonna try not as much up pressure and see how that feels.

I did an interweb search and it seems I'm not the only one with the collar bone issue. Solutions are all over the place - if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears........

I got the Ranger Green Reckoning and really like the pack.
Posted By: starsky Re: Kifaru pack and options - 04/18/17
Could you post a pic showing the fit of the pack? Might help with coming up with some ideas.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Kifaru pack and options - 04/18/17
Sounds like you need to do some tinkering with the yolk, load lifters, and 3 bar slider positions. You'll find the sweet spot... post some photos like starsky said.

Tanner
Posted By: bwinters Re: Kifaru pack and options - 04/19/17
I'm in Nashville at the moment and will do so later this week.
Posted By: prm Re: Kifaru pack and options - 04/19/17
Thanks. Your comments about collar bones are concerning. I've broken both of mine pretty badly racing motocross and they stick out more than usual. I'll chime in once I have my pack and can play with it.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Kifaru pack and options - 04/19/17
Got home early from Nashville. I watched a couple of Aaron's pack fitting videos - do that before you make any adjustments. I'm almost embarrassed to say what my issue was - way too tight sternum strap. One of Aaron's videos tipped me off - he said he cut his sternum strap off. I lowered the strap about even with my nipples and took the slack out of it. I had it pulled too tight and the shoulder straps were riding inside my anterior deltoid and over my collarbones. The shoulder straps now ride over my delts instead of inside them.

A couple other tidbits. I started putting pack on my back, leaning forward to get it located on my lumbar and pulling the chest strap down snug, then doing the waist belt, then load lifters, re-checking the shoulder strap, and take slack out of the sternum strap.

Aaron also stated he has a 45 degree load lifters angle. A Patrick video stated and shows a 10-15 degree angle. That never made sense to me. A shallow angle basically pulls the shoulder strap back, not up. Mine is probably 35-40 degrees. I've always used load lifters between 30 and 45 degrees. I couldn't make the pack fit how Patrick was showing in his video. After watching Aaron, I went by intuition and feel. Watch Aaron's videos and then go by what feels right.

If I can help in any way, let me know. I'll share what I know. It will be a quick 30 seconds ๐Ÿ˜ I also have Aarons number if you want to chat with him.
Posted By: prm Re: Kifaru pack and options - 04/19/17
Glad it worked out. I'll check out the videos.
Posted By: Scott Re: Kifaru pack and options - 04/20/17
Good to hear you got it worked out.
Posted By: prm Re: Kifaru pack and options - 05/16/17
Took mine on a couple walks, the last being maybe 5 mi with 50lbs in it. Really quite pleased. No adjustments have been necessary. Before long I'll load it up with all my elk gear and see how it works.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Kifaru pack and options - 05/17/17
I loaded all my gear in mine a couple weeks back. It all fit with room to spare. One thing I notice, the Kifaru rides my back much better than about any other pack I've ever owned. I've been wearing miner filled with 40lbs sand - which is what I'm expecting my backpack to weigh fully loaded. It took me a couple days/week to get it fitted right but thats the advantage of having a short torso.

I also went all in - bought a 22 mag, 2 small belt pockets, and regular lid for the Reckoning. I blame it on Scott - he let me try his on <G>
Posted By: Scott Re: Kifaru pack and options - 05/18/17
Glad to help. Did about 6 miles with it on chasing non-talking turkeys on Sat. Adjusted the shoulder straps a little more. It felt pretty good before but seems to really ride well now. Maybe I'm just getting used to it too. Hope to get out for an overnight turkey hunt over the next week.
Posted By: prm Re: Kifaru pack and options - 05/18/17
Now that I feel pretty good about the pack in general, I want to refine the pockets. So far, I have one to hold a water bottle and a pocket on the waist belt for a camera, or possibly snacks. What kinds of items do you like to keep readily available and what pockets are you adding to refine the pack?

I moved my water bottle to the left side, on the pack, forward against the waist belt. That keeps it out of the way since I carry my rifle on my right side. I also don't like things in the way of my arms to whatever gets added to the belt needs to be somewhat low profile.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Kifaru pack and options - 05/18/17
prm, how I deal with this is to forgo the water bottle and use a hydration bladder in the internal pouch. That has a couple of advantages--you can carry more water, it's close to your back and up high where heavy things carry better, and most of all, with the hose right there on the shoulder strap, the convenience means I drink more water when I'm moving about. It also takes an item that can snag on brush out of the external pocket and puts it out of the way.

And then to carry stuff I want immediate access to (compact camera, map, compass, gps, snacks, pistol, headlamp, Swiss Army knife, bic lighter) I use a Hill People Gear kit bag (chest pack). The advantage of a chest pack is, when you stop for a break and take your backpack off, or when you arrive at camp and are setting up and take off your backpack, you still have all your essentials (especially sidearm) with you and immediately accessible.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Kifaru pack and options - 05/18/17
Everything but the water.......
Posted By: bwinters Re: Kifaru pack and options - 05/18/17
I bought 2 small waist belt pockets to hold my wind detector bottle, cow call, compass, extra shells, and GPS when not in use. I'll likely put my rangefinder in one. The 22 mag also has a pocket incorporated into the lid. I find I like pockets and quick access to stuff. Plus it helps keep me organized. I considered a med/lge for the pack itself but decided they were too big.

I looked at the water bottle holder but decided it stuck out to far. I don't care for bladders cause they make the water taste like shiite. I do the whole bottles in the pack thing. If I could find a bladder that didn't make water taste funny I'd be on it.
Posted By: prm Re: Kifaru pack and options - 05/19/17
I find I unexpectedly run out of water with bladders. First world problem, I know. And for two years, the hose kept freezing and I had to keep them tucked inside. Nalgene bottle is easy.

I'll probably get one more small waist belt bag. They are a nice useful size.
Posted By: prm Re: Kifaru pack and options - 05/20/17
Loaded it up to a little over 70 lbs and took hike down and back up the mountain. Not a long hike, 3-4 mi. I was impressed. My fitness is another issue, but the pack really felt good.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Kifaru pack and options - 05/20/17
I don't care for bladders cause they make the water taste like shiite.

If so, you're not using the right bladder. The new ones are made of different plastics and have taken care of that problem, like the one below. EdT suggested it to me a few years ago, and it's great:

https://www.platy.com/catalog/product/view/id/16837/s/hoser/category/45

As far as unexpectedly running out of water, here's how I see it. I'd rather drain a 2-liter or 2 1/2 liter reservoir unexpectedly than track how much I'm drinking out of a 1-liter nalgene. I used to take a 1-liter bottle on the morning hunt, and found that by lunch time, I'd finish it. When I switched to a hydration bladder with more capacity, the convenience of having the hose clamped right there on the shoulder strap meant I drank a lot more often, didn't even have to stop walking to get a drink. So I found I'd drink about two liters by lunchtime, same hunt, same conditions. Food for thought.
And as far as freezing, if you get a bite valve with a shut-off and are careful about blowing the water back out of the hose and into the reservoir after you drink, it shouldn't be a big problem.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Kifaru pack and options - 05/20/17
I usually have a couple or three of the 1 litre Platy's in the pack. That way I know when I'm half empty. They don't have any taste either. MSR Drom bags sure do though.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Kifaru pack and options - 05/20/17
Assume you're using the 2L version? I like to drink 100 oz a day which is 3L but thats alot of water to carry.
I have a 2- and a 3-liter.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Kifaru pack and options - 05/21/17
Assume you're using the 2L version? I like to drink 100 oz a day which is 3L but thats alot of water to carry.

If you bring a small squeeze-bag filter like a Sawyer, you won't need to carry all your water. At least in the places I hunt.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Kifaru pack and options - 05/21/17
Looking at a Sawyer filter as well. What model you have?

Remembered I bought my wife a new Osprey pack for Christmas. She took the bladder out....... I now have a new 2.5 L bladder that supposedly doesn't make the water funky. We'll see in the next few weekends.
You don't gotta fill a 3 liter bag full everytime. Just fill it half full if thats all you need. There are times when its nice to have the option to carry 3 liters though. I would rather have the option to haul 3 liters when needed but only fill a liter if thats all I need at that point than only have a 2 liter bag and at times wish I had 3 liters when I know I am leaving the valley floor all day on a hot day.

I also MUCH prefer the inline filter as I drink to the stupid squeeze bag. Takes forever to fill the bag with that little opening....then you gotta squeeze the bag to filter in the main bladder. Much faster to just open the a platypus big zip and fill it instantly toss it back in my pack and filter as I drink.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Kifaru pack and options - 05/22/17
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Takes forever to fill the bag with that little opening....then you gotta squeeze the bag to filter in the main bladder. Much faster to just open the a platypus big zip and fill it instantly toss it back in my pack and filter as I drink.

LOL, that's right, if you don't have anything to dip the water and pour it in the squeeze bag you're pretty much SOL. I just use my plastic mug, so it's never been a problem. Any filter that can do double-duty to filter in the field and also rig up with a gravity-fed rig in camp works for me.

Personally I've always been a little leery of putting a zip-up bag in my pack. I might have to check one out though.
© 24hourcampfire