Home
Posted By: 79inpa compass - 09/24/19
in need of a durable..accurate..light weight compass... go!
Posted By: smokepole Re: compass - 09/24/19
Silva or Suunto have a lot of different options.

At least they did, last time I bought a compass.
Posted By: sixfive Re: compass - 09/24/19
I agree the Suunto and Silva seem to be the leaders of the pack. I have always used Silvas myself but, would have no hesitation with a Suunto. My Silva Ranger Ultra never let me down in all of my forestry schooling and training, as well as several hunting trips to Colorado. I am not well versed in all of the current models out from the two companies but I know Silva still makes Ranger models. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.
Posted By: 79inpa Re: compass - 09/24/19
is there a model that you recommend?
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: compass - 09/24/19

The basic one.
Posted By: bwinters Re: compass - 09/24/19
Suunto MC2 or 2G
Posted By: Ulvejaeger Re: compass - 09/24/19
Silva Ranger for the win!
Posted By: lvmiker Re: compass - 09/24/19
I keep a Suunto w/ mirror and all the goodies in my pack but use a Suunto M-9 wrist compass the most.

mike r
Posted By: sixfive Re: compass - 09/25/19
I prefer a Silva Ranger model too. I like a compass with the flip open lid and mirror to help me achieve the most accurate sighting lines. Mostly in the event of traversing off of a topo map. Depends upon what exactly you are trying to achieve with your compass I guess. Practicing lots with whatever compass you choose is probably the first and foremost.
Posted By: smokepole Re: compass - 09/25/19
Originally Posted by 79inpa
is there a model that you recommend?

Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

The basic one.

I agree. Never needed more than the basic baseplate compass.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: compass - 09/25/19
They're almost weightless so I carry 2...and hope they both point the same direction.
Posted By: KC Re: compass - 09/25/19

I offer the same advice as Smokepole and Rock Chuck.

Simple is better. I never need the advanced capabilities of a fancy compass. I just want to know which way is north so I can orient my USGS map.

You can buy basic Silva and Suunto compasses at just about any sporting goods store.

KC
Posted By: bwinters Re: compass - 09/26/19
Originally Posted by Ulvejaeger
Silva Ranger for the win!

I have one of the older versions and agree. Haven't heard much good about the newer versions but also haven't used one. I have 5-6 compasses now so really don't see the need to try any others.......
Posted By: Brad Re: compass - 09/26/19
Currently I like Suunto. Silva moved some production to China, so you need to make sure where the model you want is made.

A simple baseplate compass is all I use.
Posted By: EZEARL Re: compass - 09/26/19
Get and carry two basic ones. Don't want to be doubting your one when you get turned around (lost).
Posted By: JSTUART Re: compass - 09/26/19

I still use either of the old issue compass' as my primary and the button compass in my kit for 'oh crap' moments.

There may be something better now but I doubt it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bobmn Re: compass - 09/26/19
Marathon wrist compass on at all times in back country so I stay oriented. Way better gimbals than Suunto or Silva. Any old base plate model to orient topo map.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: compass - 09/26/19

I like one where you can dial in the magnetic declination - it's 30 deg. in my area.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: compass - 09/26/19
Suunto for myself as well. Silva's as a second choice.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: compass - 09/27/19
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Suunto for myself as well. Silva's as a second choice.

Originally Posted by MuskegMan

I like one where you can dial in the magnetic declination - it's 30 deg. in my area.

Declination is nice and in winter I like the inclinometer for measuring slope angle for avalanche route planning. A good accurate compass is the best value for weight that you can carry in the back country.

mike r
Posted By: smokepole Re: compass - 09/27/19
Originally Posted by lvmiker

Declination is nice and in winter I like the inclinometer for measuring slope angle for avalanche route planning.
mike r

Dude. You don't need a compass, you need to hang out in less steep terrain.
grin
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: compass - 09/27/19
Originally Posted by smokepole

Declination is nice and in winter I like the inclinometer for measuring slope angle for avalanche route planning.
mike r

grin

You NEED to know WHEN to hang out in less steep terrain.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: compass - 09/27/19

Inclinometer is a crucial piece of equipment in assessing / traveling avalanche terrain. Your rangefinder has one.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: compass - 09/27/19

I picked up one of the Brunton units a few years ago but just didn't like using it, when my brother turns up on my doorstep I shall probably give it to him to play with.

A nice thing but heavy.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: smokepole Re: compass - 09/27/19
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Originally Posted by smokepole

mike r

grin

You NEED to know WHEN to hang out in less steep terrain.

No, you NEED to look for the little SMILEY FACE so you'll know when a comment is tongue in cheek....
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: compass - 09/28/19

Good idea, smokespoles...keep yourself out of the mountains in winter.
Posted By: smokepole Re: compass - 09/28/19
Whatever you say mighty Joe.
© 24hourcampfire