Home
Posted By: wy0ming Springfield XD - 12/17/20
What is the campfire consensus on the XD? There's some bad comments out there on the internet about the XD, but that's true for most pistols on the market. I know some people don't like the grip safety - are there any other common issues? I ask because I have seen a few for sale locally and the price is appealing. I don't want to buy a bad gun just because it's cheap, though.
Posted By: viking Re: Springfield XD - 12/17/20
I have limited experience with them, as I am a Glock fan. However, I once shot the XD and a G17 side by side. I shot the XD better.

I started with Glocks and stayed with them. They are modular to me. I got a lot of holsters and mag pouches...
Posted By: memtb Re: Springfield XD - 12/17/20

I’ve got the old original XDS in 45 ACP.... and love it. I’m also a big fan of the grip safety. It’s absolutely a non-issue in putting the gun into service! memtb
Posted By: kragman1 Re: Springfield XD - 12/17/20
I have the original and the mod 2, both duty sized .45's and I like them a lot.
I shoot them infrequently so I can't give you a "torture tested" opinion about their durability, but they shoot well.
Triggers are smooth if not crisp, the guns are accurate and I think that they point well.
Grip safety has never been any sort of issue for me or any other XD shooters I've met.

Ive never noticed much difference between the standard and the "M" versions, but I haven't shot an M either.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Springfield XD - 12/18/20
I like them. Have an xd40, and xdms in 9 & 10 mm. I actually prefer the grip shape of the xd, but the xdm capacity and sights make up for it. People have broken magazine base plates, but mine have been good. I dont make a habit of dropping them in the rocks though.

They are not as popular as glocks so don't have the same aftermarket support, which is probably the biggest downside. I dont have anything against glocks, just prefer the xd. Try one, you might like it.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Springfield XD - 12/18/20
I've got an old XD9 that has had the schit beat out of it. Never burped. Never failed to feed. Any ammo. And accurate. About as close to bulletproof as anything I've ever owned. Ugly as hell, too. smile
Posted By: rem141r Re: Springfield XD - 12/18/20
i won an xd40 but just can't shoot it like i'd like to. too long of trigger stroke or something just does not agree with me. of course, i am primarily a SA revolver shooter so that has a lot to do with it. plus it seems heavy and clunky. my sons shield is much more to my liking.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Springfield XD - 12/18/20
I don't like that you have to depress the grip safety to pull the slide to lock it back. Kinda clumsy until you get used to it. The very first ones were very rust prone, but they seem to have fixed that fairly quickly. Other than that, I have nothing bad to say about them.
Posted By: sparkyv Re: Springfield XD - 12/19/20
XD guns have never previously grabbed my attention, but I obtained an XDM 10mm recently, and am still getting used to it. Just under 200 rounds so far with no failures. Trigger pull is way better than any sproingy Gluck trigger I ever tried, and it seems as ruggedly built as a G20/G40. The grip safety goes unnoticed while shooting, but the trigger safety hurts my finger a bit. Parts inbound to attempt to mitigate this nuisance and get my brass to fall within the same county. For me, a non-Gluck 10mm with 15+1 capacity is worth spending effort to tune up. Hopefully, I'll end up liking and depending on it.
Posted By: deflave Re: Springfield XD - 12/19/20
I think they're very good guns with very good triggers.

I would never hesitate to snag one if I was in the market.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Springfield XD - 12/19/20
Wife & I had a couple of XD40s and my oldest son had an XD9 about the same time, all service size guns. They were all reliable and accurate enough for a service pistol. The feed geometry does not like semi wadcutters. Ergos are pretty good and not a bad pistol overall
Posted By: wy0ming Re: Springfield XD - 12/19/20
Thanks everyone for the comments. When I'm ready to buy a full size handgun, it sounds like the XD could be a good choice if the price is right. I'm in no huge hurry to buy, since there's no ammo available anyways and I still have a lot of research to do.
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: Springfield XD - 12/19/20
I've had an XD9 for years. Still my preferred pistol over my Glock 17 or Smith M&P
Shoots accurately and eats every load I have put thru it.
I recently put a Powder River Precision trigger kit in it, and while it helped smooth up the trigger a little, I wouldn't spend the money to do it again. Too little return on investment as far as I'm concerned.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Springfield XD - 12/19/20
Grip angle

Grip angle

Grip angle
Posted By: wy0ming Re: Springfield XD - 12/19/20
I've always wondered about ergonomics, especially grip angles - seems like the sort of thing a person can get used to if you just shoot enough.

I could go to a store and see how all the different guns feel in my hands (if the local stores had many guns in stock), but honestly I wouldn't really know how any of these guns are supposed to feel.
Posted By: DanInAlaska Re: Springfield XD - 12/19/20
Originally Posted by cwh2
Try one, you might like it.

I was always a Glock 10mm fan, until I shot your XD-M. That did it for me. The 5.25" XD-M has great sights, a better grip angle (IMO), and comes with three 15-round magazines. I've been very happy with it!
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Springfield XD - 12/20/20
Out glocking glock is rather impressive.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Springfield XD - 12/20/20
Out-uglying glock is no small feat, either.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Springfield XD - 12/20/20
All jokes aside, I just missed a good deal on a nice XD45 Service. The 45s are reported to be excellant shooters.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Springfield XD - 12/29/20
number of years ago, had grandson out shooting, and he did exactly what i told him to be careful about.
was shooting a xd.
reloads, 200gr swc 231 powder.
he was banging them off as fast as he could pull trigger.
one was a light/squibb load, bullet stuck in barrel.
he fired again,kboom.
split barrel got his attention.
trip back to springfield, paid for a new barrel, no other damage other than flash marks inside of slide.
still working just fine today.
Posted By: krupp Re: Springfield XD - 08/04/21
Thanks guys. I just got an excellent used XD 45 yesterday and this saved me from asking the same question.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Springfield XD - 08/07/21
I’ve had an XD 9 for years. It’s been flawless.
Posted By: WMR Re: Springfield XD - 08/07/21
Wife and I bought xdm 10mm’s. The 4.5 inch seems quite portable and easy to shoot. We just bought a similar 9mm for practice (less recoil and usually cheaper to shoot). They’re sort of ugly but they seem to work well, and there’s a kind of beauty in that.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Springfield XD - 08/07/21
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Slavek Re: Springfield XD - 08/07/21
Originally Posted by douglasfir
What is the campfire consensus on the XD? There's some bad comments out there on the internet about the XD, but that's true for most pistols on the market. I know some people don't like the grip safety - are there any other common issues? I ask because I have seen a few for sale locally and the price is appealing. I don't want to buy a bad gun just because it's cheap, though.

It is well-proven design that has been made for some 20 years. We know it as HS with HS-9 (9x19) being most popular. If you do not like grip safety there is G26 type subcompact called HS H-11 which Americans call the Hellcat. Assuming you stick with proven design from practical point of view the only things that matters are how it feels in your hand and how comfortable it is to lug around.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Springfield XD - 08/08/21
I prefer them to Glock. I prefer the grip angle. It shoots where it points for me.
I had one for a while and gave it to my daughter when she was old enough to get her CCL.
Posted By: firstcoueswas80 Re: Springfield XD - 08/08/21
I have had a XD40 for going on 15 years now. I absolutely love it.
We carry Glocks at work.

Of course have have Glock bois.
I bring my old XD to work and out shoot them for fun constantly.

I LOVE the XD lineup.
© 24hourcampfire