Home
I am considering a Glock 20 in10 mm. Is there any reason to prefer a gen 3 over a gen 4 or vice versa?

I have been satisfied with my gen 3 Glock19 and do not know if any of the subsequent changes are meaningful improvements.

Thanks
Think recoil system was the main change?
No but the Gen 5 has a better trigger & sights.
There is no Gen5 G20 as of yet.

My recommendation is the Gen3 G21SF. Stay with the single captive recoil spring setup.
Originally Posted by efw

They don't make a Gen 5 Glock 20.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by efw

They don't make a Gen 5 Glock 20.

My bad sorry
I like the bigger mag release button that came out starting with the Gen 4. That is all.
Originally Posted by gunzo
I like the bigger mag release button that came out starting with the Gen 4. That is all.

Yep.
Originally Posted by gunzo

I put a few hundred 200grs @ 1250 through mine the other day and had to wear gloves as the release was chewing up my hand.
Is there a difference in RSA or pins, and are there pros/cons of one over the other ?
Thanks
Originally Posted by WTM45
There is no Gen5 G20 as of yet.

My recommendation is the Gen3 G21SF. Stay with the single captive recoil spring setup.

Yes. You want to tinker with a Glock, then Gen 3 > Gen 4.
I have a Gen 3 G20SF and like it a lot. The only thing that a Gen4 would do for me is give me the option of putting the magazine release on the right side (I'm a lefty).

Ron
Originally Posted by tcp
I am considering a Glock 20 in10 mm. Is there any reason to prefer a gen 3 over a gen 4 or vice versa?

I have been satisfied with my gen 3 Glock19 and do not know if any of the subsequent changes are meaningful improvements.

You need to hold both. They are all bigger than a G19/17/22/23 frame. The trigger reach is not the same.
The reach sucks for me. I have been researching triggers that can shorten it up. After a few hundred 200gr loads my trigger finger is blistered from mashing the frame.....non issue on all other glocks.
I've had a gen 3sf and a gen4 and I likes the gen 3 sf better. I bought an xdm 10mm when they came out and have since sold the glock. I really like my xdm 10mms and look forward to getting an m&p 10mm too. I love 10mms.

Bb
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I've had a gen 3sf and a gen4 and I likes the gen 3 sf better. I bought an xdm 10mm when they came out and have since sold the glock. I really like my xdm 10mms and look forward to getting an m&p 10mm too. I love 10mms.

XDM in 10mm? I didn't know. They seem to have shorter trigger reach than Glocks in 9mm. Is that true of the 10mm also?

I barely carry my G20SF bc it just doesn't fit my hand all that well. The G17s and G22 fit me like a glove.

Edit: Looks like the XDM in full size 10mm is gone. But I will be getting me one of them 10mm M&Ps for sure.
Originally Posted by TX35W

Edit: Looks like the XDM in full size 10mm is gone. But I will be getting me one of them 10mm M&Ps for sure.

Wow... I see that. News to me, and bad news at that. I suspect they will be replaced with the XDM Elite, but what a stupid move.
But, but, but, I thought Glock advertised "Perfection" from the git-go??????? If they're "perfect", now come they have four or five "generations"??????
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
But, but, but, I thought Glock advertised "Perfection" from the git-go??????? If they're "perfect", now come they have four or five "generations"??????
1911, 1911A1, Series 70, Series 80...
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Colt wasn't claiming they were perfect, though.......................
just that they were the best.
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Colt wasn't claiming they were perfect, though.......................
just that they were the best.

My glock 20 jammed fairly often. Enough that I never felt comfortable using it as a woods gun or defense gun. I changed out springs and it still jammed up way too often. I called glock and asked if I could send it in for them to look at it. They said no. They said every glock functions perfectly when it leaves them and there's no point in them looking at it because there's nothing wrong with the gun. I told them I could send them videos of it jamming but they wouldn't listen. Totally arrogant SOBs. I've been an XDm or M&P guy since then. I do still have a G19 gen 3 rtf tenifer and a gen 3 G22 that I bought cheap and picked up a 357 sig barrel for.

I bought a 4.5" xdm 10 when they first came out. I shot it limp wristed, gangster style, upside down, every way I could think of and it never jammed. Then I traded it in for the threaded one either the taller sights and the little vortex dot sight on the removable plate thing ?MOS?. The threaded one has functioned great too but I missed the simplicity and ruggedness or the plain 4.5" first one so I bought another one. I have the second and 3rd one still and they both run great. Looking forward to trying tge standard M&P with the safety.

The only thing I miss about the glock was the kkm match barrel I had made for it in 40 s&w with a 10mm throat. I long loaded 49 brass with 180s or 200s seated out to 10mm length at 10mm speeds. I bought cheap once fired 40 brass and just loaded them 1 more time each and let them fly. No bending down to pick up 20 cents a piece 10mm brass. Just let the 3=4cent 40 stuff lay where it landed. It was an idea I came up with after back surgery in 2014. Back then 40 was common with law enforcement and cheap brass was everywhere.

Bb
Bb, was the pistol in question a Gen2, a Gen3 or a Gen3 SF?
Were these jams occurring with the KKM barrel and your reloaded .40 ammo?

My experiences with Glock CS have been totally opposite of what you experienced.

To add: I worked through some initial issues, mostly ammo related, with my first G20's Gen2. The two I had did not like any mixing of warm loads and the available powder-puff loads (.40S&W speed) and most was a recoil spring issue. Brass showed problems with warm loads, but we were pushing the envelope. Norma stuff equivalent.

I have owned (and still own one) Gen3 SF pistols which did perform wonderfully with my pet loading. The one I have kept is dependable as can be. Chews right through .40S&W factory ammo as well with the stock barrel. 180gr stuff. Anything heavier, I go .44Mag.

I am really enjoying my S&W M&P .45C with Apex trigger. If the reviews start getting better on the M&P 10MM, I could be tempted!
I started with a gen 4 and had problems frequently, at least 1 jam per mag. I took it back and tried my luck with a gen 3 SF. It worked a but better but still had problems. I bought the kkm barrel and some different weight springs but never found a combination that was reliable.

I typically reload and tried everything I could think of but always ended up with more jams. I even broke down and bought 4 different types of factory ammo when it was expensive and hard to find. I had at least a few jams with each type of factory. The most common failer was the bullet nose diving down a bit and running right into the front of the mags.

I thought maybe I needed heavier mag springs but it did it with all my mags even brand new nags. It had other typesof failures too. If you limp wristed it at all it would fail nearly every time.

I've had a few glock 19s and never had reliability issues with those. As far as 10mm goes my XDMs have been perfect so far. I hate to say that and curse myself. I wish kkm made a 40 barrel for the XDM 10.

I've actually been able to shoot up a lot of my long loaded 40 stuff in my xdm10. The extractor seems to hold the case head in enough to fire even though it isn't headspacing on the case mouth. Much easier that pulling it down and it would be way to hot for a 40 if I seated the bullets deep enough to work in one.

Bb
Some "10mm" range ammo really isn't 10mm. The best example is the Federal American Eagle 180gr load. Its velocity (1030fps) is only 30fps faster than the same bullet in their 40S&W offering. We had a customer who bought a Delta Elite and sold it back to us cheap because it wouldn't function reliably with it. We tried explaining it to him, but he wouldn't listen...his loss.
Wolf heavy mag springs fixed any feed related issues for my G20SF's.
© 24hourcampfire