Home
Posted By: Bugger New S&W 350 X-Frame - 01/26/23
I thought I didn't 'need' another revolver. Then S&W comes out with a 7 shot 350 Legend X-frame as per the new American Rifleman. I suppose it's going to be in the 'high price' range until I'm too old to shoot one though.
Posted By: McInnis Re: New S&W 350 X-Frame - 01/27/23
It does look fun, I read that article. So they designed that cartridge to shoot 9mm bullets instead of 38 cal like I figured. I wonder why they did that? And the performance table shows data for factory loads with 150 and 180 grain spire point bullets but I wonder who makes bullets like those for reloading?
Posted By: boatboy Re: New S&W 350 X-Frame - 01/27/23
Hornady makes some 355s that are ment for the 350

But I think it was silly not to make the 358 the bullet for this cartridge

Hank
Posted By: saleen322 Re: New S&W 350 X-Frame - 01/27/23
We have a 350 Legend in an AR. I bought a few bullets for it and they were 0.355". I have 35 caliber bullet molds and when sized to 0.356", it shoots very well with cast. All that said, it did seem odd to go with a 0.355 barrel but since we handload it is no problem.
I was interested until I saw that gaping key hole in the side.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: New S&W 350 X-Frame - 01/27/23
Never saw an X frame that interested me. Just gimme a handy handgun, not a porcine, bloated thing that needs wheels.
Posted By: HawkI Re: New S&W 350 X-Frame - 01/28/23
Someone already made a 357 Maximum, maybe 3 or 4.

But the 351 Winchester self loader in a wheelgun has a huge potential following, especially since everyone who's seen one is dead.
Posted By: Bugger Re: New S&W 350 X-Frame - 01/28/23
Originally Posted by McInnis
It does look fun, I read that article. So they designed that cartridge to shoot 9mm bullets instead of 38 cal like I figured. I wonder why they did that? And the performance table shows data for factory loads with 150 and 180 grain spire point bullets but I wonder who makes bullets like those for reloading?

I skimmed the article and missed the 9mm bullet part. No thanks, saved me some money. Crazy to use 9mm bullets and I won't have it.
Posted By: McInnis Re: New S&W 350 X-Frame - 01/28/23
When I skimmed the article I missed it at first as well, then I thought how did they fail to mention what caliber of bullet that it shoots? It never stated “9mm”, it just said .355”. And it said you can chamber a .357 round in its chambers but of course S&W says it wouldn’t be safe to fire them. That just doesn’t seem very well thought out.

The thing weighs 71 oz., or about 4 1/2 lbs. I have a Marlin lever action rifle chambered in .357 mag that weighs 6 1/2 lbs. if I had to hunt deer with a straight wall cartridge I think I would be better off with the rifle.
Posted By: Lee_Woiteshek Re: New S&W 350 X-Frame - 01/28/23
I owned an X Frame, and that K frame grip just didn't work for me. Made it real nose heavy.

I'd like a 350 Legend in a Ruger No.1.
Posted By: McInnis Re: New S&W 350 X-Frame - 01/28/23
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek
I owned an X Frame, and that K frame grip just didn't work for me. Made it real nose heavy.

I'd like a 350 Legend in a Ruger No.1.

I sure didn’t know that X-frame revolvers used a K-frame grip. That’s surprising. I can see it being muzzle heavy. Wonder why they did that?
Posted By: TheKid Re: New S&W 350 X-Frame - 01/28/23
It wouldn’t matter what grip frame they used, no way an X frame wasn’t going to be muzzle heavy.
© 24hourcampfire