Home
Posted By: wildcat223 Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
So what’s all the fuss about the unreliable Glock 20s? I purchased a nearly new gen4 20 today, how bad of a mistake did I make? I haven’t shot it yet, but thinking of dumping it and get a 329pd smith
Posted By: MOGC Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
What fuss? My Gen 3 SF has been stone cold reliable from day one.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
Ya just bought it, haven't shot it, but thinking about dumping it over some internet BS ??

Realy?
Posted By: K1500 Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
Keep the Glock and skip the smith.
Posted By: Direct_Drive Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
Originally Posted by wildcat223
So what’s all the fuss about the unreliable Glock 20s? I purchased a nearly new gen4 20 today, how bad of a mistake did I make? I haven’t shot it yet, but thinking of dumping it and get a 329pd smith
You must be reading Internet BS if you have been persuaded that G20 is unreliable.
Reality is G20 very reliable and very accurate.

The S&W 329PD is good for what it was designed for....lightweight 44 Magnum.
It is not something that you will go to the range with and pop off 50 rounds with.
That pistol is the most painful SOB that I have ever shot.
I have a 629 but I would NEVER let a 329PD anywhere near my front door.

The G20 is good, clean fun at the range.
Posted By: 79S Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
If a Glock is unreliable it’s because of operator error! Glocks just run I have a gen3 that shoots whatever you feed it never a failure to feed or fire. I did buy some non Glock magazines and they were not the best. Run only Glock 20 mags.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
Originally Posted by MOGC
What fuss? My Gen 3 SF has been stone cold reliable from day one.

^^^This^^^ X10
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
I have multiple 10mm Glocks and they've been perfectly reliable through thousands of rounds each.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
I would be really surprised if you have any issues.

You haven't specified the issues that concern you.
Posted By: devnull Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
I'd think Glock to be the last firearm to have a reliability issue. It's a time proven design.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
Originally Posted by 79S
If a Glock is unreliable it’s because of operator error! Glocks just run I have a gen3 that shoots whatever you feed it never a failure to feed or fire. I did buy some non Glock magazines and they were not the best. Run only Glock 20 mags.

i've run several ETS mags through multiple Glocks including a 20 and 29 never any issues with them
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
I've had my Glock 20 (Gen 4) for about a decade, and have never had a problem with it. Never heard of a problem with the model.

I had the 329 PD for years. Great for what it is, but I got a fracture in my wrist from shooting six rounds of full house Magnums from it. Sold it to my nephew a couple of years ago. He carries it, but loaded with .44 Special.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
Originally Posted by gunzo
Ya just bought it, haven't shot it, but thinking about dumping it over some internet BS ??

Realy?

This…………………. Looks like you are being sucked in by BS.
Posted By: viking Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
Uff dah
Posted By: JCS271 Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
The only issue I consistently hear regarding G20 reliability is with 220gr hardcasts.

They will all run great with 200gr and that's what is recommended for absolute reliability.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
I’ve had a Glock 20 for close to 30 years. It’s been rode hard and put up wet….a lot. Never a problem.
Posted By: driftless Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
My Glock 20c has not been super reliable.
Posted By: TC1 Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
Have they ever made a model that wasn't reliable? I'm not a big Glock fan (not a hater either.)
Posted By: driftless Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
Ya, my 20c
Posted By: MOGC Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
Originally Posted by TC1
Have they ever made a model that wasn't reliable? I'm not a big Glock fan (not a hater either.)

The .40 S&W models have especially had more issues than the other calibers/models. Glock pistols occasionally choke and puke here and there but no more than anything else, and probably less than many others. Glock isn't infallible, but they're pretty darned good.
Posted By: TC1 Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by TC1

The .40 S&W models have especially had more issues than the other calibers/models. Glock pistols occasionally choke and puke here and there but no more than anything else, and probably less than many others. Glock isn't infallible, but they're pretty darned good.

I've owned a few over the years. 2 9mm' s and a gen 1 G20. All were very reliable. I never cared for the grip angle or the trigger. Always moved on.
Posted By: dla Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
The Glock should've been half the price of a new 329.
For most of the forum [bleep] here the Glock is all they could handle, and that is if they put on their big girl panties.

The are lots of ways to make a glock "unreliable", and they usually start with forum stupidity. After market barrels, trigger upgrades, magazine springs, etc. Leave it stock and it will run.

The 10mm is not equal to a 44mag. Perhaps equal to a 357mag. If you don't reload, the cheapest 10mm fodder I've seen is $28/50. The cheapest 44mag is closer to $40/50.

A fully loaded G20 is 40oz. A fully loaded 329 is 31oz.

A lot of dill holes think that 15 shots of 10mm is superior to 6 shots of 44mag when a bear charges. Some of these morons even add up the kinetic energy of 15 rounds to bolster their claims.

Since you don't shoot much (you haven't shot your new G20 before biitching about it), and I doubt you hike much, you'll never appreciate the 329pd. So keep the G20 so you can brag on forums about your 10mm.
When a Glock has problems, it’s beaten like a dead horse…. Anything else, let’s say a M&P or 1911 it’s forgotten about. Then they are in photos with fancy leather holsters, cigars, furs and expensive knives and all is forgiven.
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
Don’t Glocks have problems shooting rounds with exposed lead bullets?
Posted By: dla Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
Originally Posted by viking
When a Glock has problems, it’s beaten like a dead horse…. Anything else, let’s say a M&P or 1911 it’s forgotten about. Then they are in photos with fancy leather holsters, cigars, furs and expensive knives and all is forgiven.
So true!
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
Originally Posted by ConradCA

Lead yes, hardcast no
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
Originally Posted by ConradCA

No.

Pure lead and hard cast bullets are not the same animal. I have fired literally hundreds of thousands of rounds of hard cast bullets through Glocks since the early 90s, without a single problem, ever.

There are a number articles online about the differences between the two, but suffice to say, it is not an issue at all.
Posted By: Doc_Holidude Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
Originally Posted by cra1948
I’ve had a Glock 20 for close to 30 years. It’s been rode hard and put up wet….a lot. Never a problem.

Same here, same here, and same here. Bought one shortly after they hit our shores, not a hiccup since.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
Sell the Glock.

Get a Smith and enjoy the quality of craftsmanship.

I'll go $300 shipped on your Glock.
Better take it, they depreciate fast!
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Sell the Glock.

😂 yeah i was wondering when the fine gentleman of the fire would offer to take that abomination off your hands.
I hear the Glock 20 is super popular in Alaska among folks who travel in big bear country.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I hear the Glock 20 is super popular in Alaska among folks who travel in big bear country.

Who did you hear this from? I heard there is a bear guide that prefers a 9mm
Originally Posted by jwp475

Hickok45 says his sources tell him they are popular for that purpose. I've heard others say the same thing.

Hickok45 says his sources tell him they are popular for that purpose. I've heard others say the same thing.

Hickock45 LMAO.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
I like mine. It doesn't miss a stroke.

KKM barrel, RMR sight, tall Trijicon irons to co-witness (not shown in this picture, added later).

Grip work by Luke at Sinner's Mass in San Antonio.

Quite a hammer. Don't bet against it doing its thing.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Hickock45 LMAO.
He strikes you as a liar?
Hickock45 LMAO.

I personally know several people that live and hunt in Alaska, one couple that lives in the bush year round. No roads or electricity and none use a 10mm for bear protection. Heavy 45 Colt and 454 are the most common.
What personal experience does Hickock45 have in Alaska?
Hickock45 LMAO.

I personally know several people that live and hunt in Alaska, one couple that lives in the bush year round. No roads or electricity and none use a 10mm for bear protection. Heavy 55 Colt and 454 are the most common.
Seems you misread my comment.
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/12/23
I've put tens of thousands of rounds through various Glocks with virtually no malfunctions. The few I saw were with new pistols that needed a little more breaking in to be 100%. I've never had a 10mm, but I've shot a lot of .40 in G22's and G23's without any problems. If I wanted a G20 I would buy one without hesitation.
Hickock45 LMAO.

I personally know several people that live and hunt in Alaska, one couple that lives in the bush year round. No roads or electricity and none use a 10mm for bear protection. Heavy 55 Colt and 454 are the most common.
Seems you misread my comment.

No I read it just fine. The ambitious "my source" which gives no indication of knowledge on the subject
No I read it just fine. The ambitious "my source" which gives no indication of knowledge on the subject
I doubt he'd say it if he wasn't pretty sure it was correct.
A quick google of "Glock 20 Alaska" is revealing.
A quick google of "Glock 20 Alaska" is revealing.

Personal knowledge even more so. All the people that I know own a 10mm yet it's not their first choice

Google and Hickock45 is the limit to your knowledge
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k13350548-Glock_20-Alaska.html
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/13/23
Sell the Glock.

😂 yeah i was wondering when the fine gentleman of the fire would offer to take that abomination off your hands.

$5-600 all in. Probably more buying loading crap.

But it would help a Brother out.😇😇😇
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/13/23
Sell the Glock.

Gotta watch.
I'm certain some is cussing me under their breath.
Conman, Swindler...trying to cheat....
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/13/23
I am still waiting to hear the OP tell us all about the fuss he has heard about Glock 10mm being unreliable, and what made him decide to buy one if this was the case.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/13/23
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I am still waiting to hear the OP tell us all about the fuss he has heard about Glock 10mm being unreliable, and what made him decide to buy one if this was the case.

He hasn't even shot it and he's talking about issues. He isn't worth replying to.

Posted By: WMR Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/13/23
Sorry if this is “poking a bear”, but do Glock 10mm’s really blow up on rare occasion? If so, how often? I suspect the OP may have read about this. He actually is at very low risk, since he seems not to shoot his guns. 🤔
Posted By: Mikewriter Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/13/23
I bought a G20 soon after they first became available. First magazine through it, had a round "blow out" in the mag. Destroyed the mag, left burn marks on my palm. Sold the Glock - with full disclosure - soon after. Don't own any Glocks of any caliber now, but this didn't sour me on 10mm. I have three 10's now - an RSI 1911, and two 10mm EAA Witnesses. The 1911, while it IS. heavy, is my favorite - but I've had no problems with either EAA. I feel the 10mm can be a great "hunting" handgun round - and it would certainly be great firepower for home defense. I do reload for 10mm, but very carefully. Overall, I prefer 10mm to .45 ACP in a 1911, or other suitable handgun.

Mike Holmes
Glocks, 1911s, and pretty much any other manufacturer do have catastrophic failures. 10mm, 45 ACP, .40 S&W, they all can, do and have been the cartridge that have failed. Now if this was due to the components, a mechanical issue, or operator error, it really does not matter, but the fact remains, if it is a mechanical device, it is subject to failure.

I have seen 1911s, Glocks, Colt M4s, Remington 700s, and 870s, S&W K Frame revolvers all that have failed at one time or another.

In my professional experience and observation of seeing literally thousands of handguns/weapons in service, Glocks on average though are one of the most reliable semi auto handguns ever built.
Posted By: WMR Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/13/23
Glocks, 1911s, and pretty much any other manufacturer do have catastrophic failures. 10mm, 45 ACP, .40 S&W, they all can, do and have been the cartridge that have failed. Now if this was due to the components, a mechanical issue, or operator error, it really does not matter, but the fact remains, if it is a mechanical device, it is subject to failure.

I have seen 1911s, Glocks, Colt M4s, Remington 700s, and 870s, S&W K Frame revolvers all that have failed at one time or another.

In my professional experience and observation of seeing literally thousands of handguns/weapons in service, Glocks on average though are one of the most reliable semi auto handguns ever built.

Thanks for answering. I believe you have vast experience and appreciate your opinion. I’ve never heard of a Glock 9mm kaboom and I do carry one. My 10mm is a Springfield and for all I know it may explode with my next trigger squeeze. I’m sure the vast number of Glocks out there statistically increases the chance of a failure showing up with one.
Posted By: justin10mm Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/13/23
Maybe guns aren't for you. Carry mace.
Posted By: 79S Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/13/23
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by 79S

i've run several ETS mags through multiple Glocks including a 20 and 29 never any issues with them

My problem was extreme cold up here. Summer time they run fine.
Hickock45 LMAO.

I personally know several people that live and hunt in Alaska, one couple that lives in the bush year round. No roads or electricity and none use a 10mm for bear protection. Heavy 45 Colt and 454 are the most common.

Well,,,,,,,,,, that’s a small sample. I know a bunch of people running glocks, smith’s, Springfields in 10mm. Will say Glock 20 is the winner by a big margin.
79S

I know that with your .Mil experience you know all about firearms lubrication in rifles. Pistols are pretty much the same story. One thing people may not be aware of is that rifle and pistol powder performance is not linear as the temps drop.

Most modern rifle powders are designed to work in in sub zero temps and you will not see huge performance drops. The same is not true of pistol powders. Pistol powders are very much affected by extreme cold temps. A few years back I was shooting at an industry friends, and we were testing both ourselves and our gear. The handgun ammo I was using (9mm ball) was barely functioning the slide on my G34 Glock. It felt like I was shooting .380s through it.

Much of the factory 10mm ammo out there is pretty weak stuff. Add in sub zero temps and some lube in the gun, and the likelihood of malfunctions is pretty high. Cold weather weapons maintenance is something a guy really has to stay on top of.
Posted By: Direct_Drive Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/13/23
Originally Posted by WMR
Sorry if this is “poking a bear”, but do Glock 10mm’s really blow up on rare occasion? If so, how often? I suspect the OP may have read about this. He actually is at very low risk, since he seems not to shoot his guns. 🤔
They'll have problems like any pistol that is fed bad ammo.
Then the owner might blame the pistol and blabber on the internet about it.
Posted By: Direct_Drive Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/13/23
Originally Posted by dla
The Glock should've been half the price of a new 329.
For most of the forum [bleep] here the Glock is all they could handle, and that is if they put on their big girl panties.

The are lots of ways to make a glock "unreliable", and they usually start with forum stupidity. After market barrels, trigger upgrades, magazine springs, etc. Leave it stock and it will run.

The 10mm is not equal to a 44mag. Perhaps equal to a 357mag. If you don't reload, the cheapest 10mm fodder I've seen is $28/50. The cheapest 44mag is closer to $40/50.

A fully loaded G20 is 40oz. A fully loaded 329 is 31oz.

A lot of dill holes think that 15 shots of 10mm is superior to 6 shots of 44mag when a bear charges. Some of these morons even add up the kinetic energy of 15 rounds to bolster their claims.

Since you don't shoot much (you haven't shot your new G20 before biitching about it), and I doubt you hike much, you'll never appreciate the 329pd. So keep the G20 so you can brag on forums about your 10mm.
Word ^^^
Originally Posted by 79S
Hickock45 LMAO.

Well,,,,,,,,,, that’s a small sample. I know a bunch of people running glocks, smith’s, Springfields in 10mm. Will say Glock 20 is the winner by a big margin.

I know that all of the people I know have 10mm but that ain't what they reach for first for bear protection.

I bought 1,000 rds of Mackay_Sagebrush 200 grain flat point 10mm ammo. Very accurate by the way and I carry it everyday day, but for large game I'm reaching for a larger bore revolver.
Originally Posted by 79S
Hickock45 LMAO.

I know that all of the people I know have 10mm but that ain't what they reach for first for bear protection.

I bought 1,000 rds of Mackay_Sagebrush 200 grain flat point 10mm ammo. Very accurate by the way and I carry it everyday day, but for large game I'm reaching for a larger bore revolver.

Yeah wtf do I know.. I see more Glock 20’s in chest holster than I do wheel guns..
79S

I know that with your .Mil experience you know all about firearms lubrication in rifles. Pistols are pretty much the same story. One thing people may not be aware of is that rifle and pistol powder performance is not linear as the temps drop.

Most modern rifle powders are designed to work in in sub zero temps and you will not see huge performance drops. The same is not true of pistol powders. Pistol powders are very much affected by extreme cold temps. A few years back I was shooting at an industry friends, and we were testing both ourselves and our gear. The handgun ammo I was using (9mm ball) was barely functioning the slide on my G34 Glock. It felt like I was shooting .380s through it.

Much of the factory 10mm ammo out there is pretty weak stuff. Add in sub zero temps and some lube in the gun, and the likelihood of malfunctions is pretty high. Cold weather weapons maintenance is something a guy really has to stay on top of.

My issue was with ets magazines in cold weather. The Glock pistol itself have always shot fine in cold weather. I had the same issue with amend2 Glock 17 mags. So only run Glock mags or magpul mags.
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Hickock45 LMAO.

Yeah wtf do I know.. I see more Glock 20’s in chest holster than I do wheel guns..

You also post about your old lady sleeping with other dudes.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/18208738/1

You probably run with a 10mm tenderloin crowd
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Hickock45 LMAO.

Jesus stop editing your posts and Leave my Tiffany out of this.. don’t get pissed because you are basing your opinion on what people carry up here in Alaska off two people living off the road system.. majority up here are carrying a 10mm of some sort.
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Hickock45 LMAO.

Jesus stop editing your posts and Leave my Tiffany out of this.. don’t get pissed because you are basing your opinion on what people carry up here in Alaska off two people living off the road system.. majority up here are carrying a 10mm of some sort.

You ever shoot a bear coming in on you with a hand gun?
I have and I used a 475 Linebaugh, very effective.

I shot a 300 to 400 pound bovine with my 10mm and was nor impressed.

You run your mouth a lot but that's about it.
Watch out you are regular Clint Eastwood.. how big was this brown bear you kilt? Was that bear charging you when you dealt out Dirty Harry type justice? Or over a bait site??
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/13/23
That Shoemaker dude likes a 9mm for bears.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

It’s what he had at the time. In the end whatever you have on you at the time is good enough..
Originally Posted by 79S
Watch out you are regular Clint Eastwood.. how big was this brown bear you kilt? Was that bear charging you when you dealt out Dirty Harry type justice? Or over a bait site??

I was working a moose kill and my rifle was out of reach. The 475 was in a shoulder holster

Have you ever used a handgun on a bear. Yes or no not interested about who your old lady is sleeping with

He sure did
Originally Posted by 79S

I was working a moose kill and my rifle was out of reach. The 475 was in a shoulder holster

Have you ever used a handgun on a bear. Yes or no not interested about who your old lady is sleeping with

Wo Pard calm down. I don’t even hunt, I can barely afford to shoot my 22 much less my 10mm. Stop fantasizing about my Tiffany!

How big was this brn bear you kilt? Was it full blown charge? How many shots you get off?
Posted By: hikerbum Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/13/23
Sounds like you were worried about Glocks not performing before you bought it…. So WHY did you buy it?
Posted By: hikerbum Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/13/23

I think Phil even said he would definitely have preferred something else. Plus, Phil is an extremely experienced outdoorsman and shooter.
Posted By: JOG Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/13/23
I can think of six Glock 10mm pistols that kaboomed just from here at the Campfire. One of those guys was a moron so let's say five.
Posted By: Etoh Re: Glock 10mm Issues - 03/13/23
As far as kabooms go the worst Ive seen or heard about to date are Sig 320s. Canik replacement extractors are impossible to find. So why would striker fire arms makers be so adamant about not using reloads? I often wonder just how much limp wristing contributes to all this? Light weight frames offering low resistance to returning slide spring rates, coupled with a dirty round and barrel, with not a enough slide velocity to cause lock up and firing out of battery.

As far as makers with the biggest failure rate, Id go with Springfield

Had
an M1A. Bolt failure lock up- blew the bolt back thru the receiver. Sent back got 45 and one of their new tactical scopes it broke
H&K 308 knock off - lock up would unlock. got credit
45 40 cal comp guns. sheared the barrel lug, no credit
40 cal EMP poor lock up, sheared barrel lug. no credit
© 24hourcampfire