Home
have a chance to pick up a S&W 657 (no dash) stainless 41 mag, 8" barrel topped with a silver leupold 2.5 power scope with louie rings. I've never owned a S &W before, anything I should be looking for to be of concern? owner says maybe 250 rounds through it, he's 2nd owner.. advice on it is appreciated and what's a good price? I know condition is always a major factor.. TIA..
Love ❤️ the N frame S&W 41 Magnum. A perfect match of gun and cartridge
Posted By: EdM Re: need some info on a s&w 41 mag - 09/21/23
LGS has had a M58 with a touch of muzzle wear for a number of months at $795. Tempted every time I go in there. Factory smooth target grips clearly not original but nice nonetheless.
The 41 is actually a better model 29/629 than the 44 magnum. You can shoot the 41 with pretty much top end loads......what ever that is, for ever & not have a problem. If you do that with a 44 you can certainly begin to shoot it loose after a while. Put a 250 gr bullet in both guns are try to find a difference, you really can't in the field. I've tried for 50 years, if there's a difference then deer, elk, antelope & bears have never been able to tell it. Nothing wrong with a 44 but a 41 with equal bullets will do just fine in a good N frame S&W trust me. A model 58 would be a dandy Ed, thought you had one of everything, probably regulated for 210 gr bullets, if you get it I'll send you some 210 gr cast HP's.

Dick
You better grab that Model 58 Ed! Good price for a clean 58 nowadays. If I didn't have one down at Alans right now getting tweaked I'd be asking for the guys number. Let me know if you ever find that Stroh front sight base and want to shake it loose.

Robb
I'd grab that Model 58 PDQ.
Originally Posted by EdM
LGS has had a M58 with a touch of muzzle wear for a number of months at $795. Tempted every time I go in there. Factory smooth target grips clearly not original but nice nonetheless.

Yep that is a very good deal.

Idaho1945 makes some very valid arguments for the .41 as well.
Posted By: GF1 Re: need some info on a s&w 41 mag - 09/24/23
Agree with Idaho1945 in the perfect mating of the .41 Magnum cartridge and the S&W N frame revolver. I’ve been shooting several in the last 40 years, all barrel lengths, love it. Most fond of the 6”.

For a terrific “teeth and claws” load, I like Cast Performance 265 gr. WFNGC bullets over 20 gr/296, new Starline brass, Federal 155M, heavy roll crimp, for about 1150 fps. This load has been beautifully accurate.
Originally Posted by EdM
The last M58 I checked out in similar shape was $350. That was in 1986, at a live bait/gun shop that hasn't been around for 25 years. ~2 and a 1/3 more cash for the same revolver in like shape is a screaming deal, if you want it.
I love the 41 Mag. I would encourage you to price ammo for it before buying if you don’t hand load. It is expensive and not in stock everywhere. Otherwise, it is just about the perfect revolver cartridge. As or the revolver, I’ve yet to own a bad Smith and Wesson N frame.
Originally Posted by EdM
Unless there was a customer at the counter purchasing it, I can’t imagine me leaving the store without this.
© 24hourcampfire