Home
Posted By: BlackBranchFarm Bucket list gun? - 10/17/23
If you were searching for your last handgun, one you have wanted for a long time or one that maybe puts everything you like in one package, what would it be?

I have always wanted a target pistol. One that was great for learning the art of handgun shooting. I thought I found it recently but am disappointed in what I chose. I don't want to bad mouth any company over a sample of one, so I will leave it at that.

Anyway, what would you choose?

I was looking for one that would be ideal for carry optics. I seem to be able to shoot a dot better than iron sights, which makes carry optics fun. Wish I would have ponied up and called Wilson Combat and had them put a dot on a CQB, but I didn't. Hindsight is 20/20, they say.

I shoot a Glock 47 now, and it does everything I need, it is just not nice. [i][/i]
Posted By: mrmarklin Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/17/23
I pretty much have all the guns I want. Including SIG X5, Staccato XC 2011 and other target models. Just lucky, I guess.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/17/23
Maybe a Smith M41, or maybe a Freedom Arms single-action. Or maybe a Delta Elite known to shoot well.

I need to get rid of stuff before I even begin to think of getting anything else.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/17/23
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Maybe a Smith M41, or maybe a Freedom Arms single-action. Or maybe a Delta Elite known to shoot well.

I need to get rid of stuff before I even begin to think of getting anything else.

Aw, c'mon. Just buy another safe.šŸ˜œ
Posted By: superlight17b Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/17/23
H & K ,M 4 .
Posted By: viking Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/17/23
šŸ¤”. Peace Maker perhaps. Colt king cobra 22lrā€¦.something Colt branded.
Posted By: Teal Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/17/23
Jason Burton 1911 Commander. 2 tone, ball cuts.

Bowen Ruger - full build - cartridge TBD.
Posted By: savage2400 Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/17/23
The only Dan Wesson I didn't ever own was the 417 Super Mag
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/17/23
I'd like a Sig P210 and a Smith and Wesson 41.
Posted By: BlackBranchFarm Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/17/23
Originally Posted by gregintenn

I wish I had bought the Sg 210. They look like what I was searching for, but I have never seen one in person.

What do you think about a Wilson professional with optic cut? I had an Experior once that was the best functioning handgun I have ever seen. Wish I would have kept it, but I couldn't find a holster. I think I could find holsters for their 1911 if it does not have a rail.
Posted By: Army_PSG Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/17/23
I have 1 handgun left that is my "Grail Gun" It's nothing super fancy but has always eluded me by being either unavailable or being available when I don't have the funds. It is a blued 4" M57 in 41 Mag, preferably the Mountain gun (but not necessary)
Originally Posted by BlackBranchFarm

I wish I had bought the Sg 210. They look like what I was searching for, but I have never seen one in person.

What do you think about a Wilson professional with optic cut? I had an Experior once that was the best functioning handgun I have ever seen. Wish I would have kept it, but I couldn't find a holster. I think I could find holsters for their 1911 if it does not have a rail.

Model discontinued 2/1/2023
Here;s what a quick google search turned up. I personally have zero experience with Wilson handguns. They sure look nice.
Posted By: BlackBranchFarm Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/17/23

Here;s what a quick google search turned up. I personally have zero experience with Wilson handguns. They sure look nice.

Discontinued? Dang. What is left? I have not seen a Les Baer with optic, but surely he could do it. What do you think about a Premier II with a red dot?
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/17/23
Mine has always been a Colt Python, second is a Freedom Arms in .475 Linebaugh.

Discontinued? Dang. What is left? I have not seen a Les Baer with optic, but surely he could do it. What do you think about a Premier II with a red dot?

You are out of my wheelhouse. My handguns all wear iron sights, and most are quite old.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/17/23
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Aw, c'mon. Just buy another safe.šŸ˜œ

I could rationalize doing that if I had a place to put another one.

Maybe I need a bigger house.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/17/23
I'm not sure any one handgun could scratch all the itches. I can think of two that would scratch a bunch.

Among new gun options, I'd say a FA 97 in .41 mag with a 5.5" barrel would be a pretty fair start.

Among used or discontinued guns, most are Rugers, 7-1/2" barreled .357 maximum in the lead.

Honorable mentions: I'd like to find a 6-1/2" single six .32 mag, 6" half-lug blued GP-100 .. probably some others. And an 8-3/8" barreled S&W 16-4!
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/17/23
4" Colt Woodsman Match Target 22.

Had a 6" Match Target that I bought in 1970, but traded it off years ago.

Always wanted a 4"

Virgil B.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/17/23
Originally Posted by Army_PSG
I have 1 handgun left that is my "Grail Gun" It's nothing super fancy but has always eluded me by being either unavailable or being available when I don't have the funds. It is a blued 4" M57 in 41 Mag, preferably the Mountain gun (but not necessary)

You will find a blued model 57 in .41 Magnum a lot quicker than you will find a blued Mountain Gun in .41 Magnum.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/17/23
BlackBranchFarm: Like Mrmarklin, above, I feel blessed to now own every pistol and revolver I ever yearned for.
Its been great fun and very rewarding searching for and obtaining them all over the last 5+ decades. Many I have shot but most were obtained for collecting (profit) purposes.
Long live the Second Amendment.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: EdM Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/17/23
I don't believe I have one. Ones that have arrived more recently over the years were ones that I wanted when I was a kid. This was top of my list as I thought it looked right way back then (I'm soon 62).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Another.

Yet another.

Posted By: STRSWilson Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/17/23
The only bucket list gun I never owned was the Luger that Hitler offed himself with. Really want that one. Any leads?
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/18/23
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
The only bucket list gun I never owned was the Luger that Hitler offed himself with. Really want that one. Any leads?
I believe Adolph used a Walther PPK
Posted By: BlackBranchFarm Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/18/23
Originally Posted by EdM
I don't believe I have one. Ones that have arrived more recently over the years were ones that I wanted when I was a kid. This was top of my list as I thought it looked right way back then (I'm soon 62).

Yet another.

Those are nice, thanks for sharing. I have always wanted to shoot a Colt Match Target. I had the chance to buy one once for 300$ and passed on it. The guy was a shaky character that approached me at a public range, I thought there was a chance it was stolen so passed on it. Often think about that gun.
Posted By: Dons99 Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/21/23
My buddy's NIB early 1980's 6" blue Python that I just found out he has LOL!
Posted By: 7887mm08 Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/21/23
Colt Diamondback 22. The first pistol my dad let me shoot. At 8 or 9 years old i was able to bounce a toilet bowl float across the gravel pit floor with it.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/22/23
Always wanted a 500 Linebaugh revolver. Already own one in 500 JRH so the Linebaugh would be overkill. Can pick up a new BFR for about $1400 so it is not unobtainable. But then I need brass and .512 diameter bullets plus new dies. One of these days.......
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/22/23
Got the Python.

For a long time it was a 625 (45 Colt) Mountain Gun.

Now, I can't see me using one.
Sadly, I'd rather have a G21. More useful for me.
Posted By: 222Sako Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/22/23
Got my Anaconda last year for my birthday. Always wanted one; glad I waited for version two.
Got a new Python a couple months ago. Had one stolen in the mid seventies. don't know why it took me so long to replace it.
Would love to own a Sig 210 Target.
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/22/23
I'd like to see a Glock 40 Gen 5 with a lengthened 10mm case

the 10mmm

10mm Magnum, yo
Posted By: blazenet Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/23/23
414 Super mag. revolver. Dan Wesson, Seville or custom Ruger... I don't care.
Posted By: savage2400 Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/23/23
I thought the DW was 417
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/23/23
If I see the right .38-44 Heavy Duty it will come home with me. Criteria: 4 or 5 inch barrel; all original; not reamed out to .357 mag; excellent condition (used but not abused and tight); not collector-grade excellent condition, just a good, solid, not beat up gun. Nickel or blue, doesn't matter.

I'd like to have a Les Baer 1911, also. At 75 I am not going to order one, given the length of wait required. Besides I'm just not into 1911's like I used to be.

I don't want either of the above badly enough to make a big effort to find them. I've got more than enough guns that I hardly ever use, and I'm not into buying them just to look at. I've learned that, if I just want guns to look at, I can go down to the lgs during their slow hours. They have a wonderful, ever evolving selection in the consignment case or on the rack. I can look at them, fondle them, talk about them and pass some time. Once in a while I buy one. This way I have a great collection to play with without all the hassle of owning them.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/23/23
I wouldn't mind a 375 Winchester revolver.
Posted By: viking Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/23/23
Originally Posted by Swamplord
I'd like to see a Glock 40 Gen 5 with a lengthened 10mm case

the 10mmm

10mm Magnum, yo

https://doubletapammo.com/collections/10mm-magnum
Posted By: viking Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/23/23
Or the 40 super

https://underwoodammo.com/40-super-220-grain-hard-cast-flat-nose/
Posted By: hookeye Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/23/23
Nothing excites me handgun wise.
Grew up shooting decent stuff so no itch to scratch.
Posted By: Doc_Holidude Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/23/23
Crossed off the main one I had on my bucket list for about 35 years back in Juneā€¦a nickel plated .45 Colt Schofield. Then in August I snagged up another one that was close to bucket list material for meā€¦a stainless Ruger Blackhawk convertible in 10mm and .40 S&W. Canā€™t really say I have any other handguns that found their way on my bucket list.
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/23/23

the 40 Super is hot but they should've used the full length of the 45 Win Mag case and built a new pistol for it instead of shortening the case to fit the reg pistol, I get why they went that route, $$$ makes decisions unfortunately ...,

The 10mm Magnum in a beefed up Glock 40 would be most awesome !

Can you imagine a 15 round stack of 200 gr hardcast bullets at 1650 fps/1150 ft lbs energy ?

The new era of Alaskan hunters would have several organisms !!!
Posted By: Henryseale Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/23/23
Two left on my "bucket list": a "shooter" 9 mm Luger and a S&W M-57 .41 Mag. Not desperate for either one, but would like to have them. The Luger just because they are cool and would complement my P-38 and the .41 because it should have been popular, but never really made it.
Posted By: Distridr Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/23/23
S$W M41

Freedom Arms M97 .44 Spl

Both adapted to RDS for hunting
Posted By: BlackBranchFarm Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/23/23
Originally Posted by Distridr
S$W M41

Freedom Arms M97 .44 Spl

Both adapted to RDS for hunting

I have always wanted to shoot a 41. I occasionally shoot a falling plate match, and many of the better shooters shoot one. Nice pistols!
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/23/23
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Two left on my "bucket list": a "shooter" 9 mm Luger and a S&W M-57 .41 Mag. Not desperate for either one, but would like to have them. The Luger just because they are cool and would complement my P-38 and the .41 because it should have been popular, but never really made it.
Both are worth pursuing in my opinion.

The 57 Smith is just like shooting any other N frame (awesome), and the Luger is a real hoot to shoot. The toggle action is definitely different.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/24/23
My bucket list gun ainā€™t unobtainable. Itā€™s merely a S&W Airweight Mod 38

The Mod 38 is the one with the shrouded hammer. No special reason, I just like them. The modern incarnation is the Mod 638 Airweight.

My Ex took the 638 Airweight I had, Iā€™ve been carrying a 642 which is arguably better for pocket carry than the 638, especially when you learn to stage the trigger for careful aimed shooting.

No matter, the 638 itch ainā€™t gone away, itā€™s a want rather than a need. I expect to succumb eventually.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/24/23
The 657 MG was my bucket list handgun. Bob sold me one of his several years ago.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/24/23
Mine has been a pre-war Colt Officer's Model .32 S&W Long. Pretty scarce, not many made because by then the .38 Special ruled the roost among bullseye shooters. I have finally found a nice and (sort of) affordable one. Presently on its way to Chez Gnoahhh.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/24/23
I didn't know that I had a bucket list handgun until I went to the Lakeland gun show and fingered a Scandium frame S&W 360. It didn't take a lot of research to read that guys were describing shooting a 15 ounce .357 Magnum like a bomb going off in your hand. I'd had a 4" M66 that I didn't like, so I wasn't going for something half the weight with that lock hole. Since I always thought that a +P .38 Special was a good choice for a CCW handgun, more reading turned up the fact that S&W made a pre-lock 9 ounce Scandium frame .38 Special +P for two years back in 2000 called the 337 PD. I found a minty one on consignment from a gun shop in Georgia and bought it. Not fun to shoot, but at only 12 ounces loaded it sure disappears in my pocket.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/24/23
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Mine has been a pre-war Colt Officer's Model .32 S&W Long. Pretty scarce, not many made because by then the .38 Special ruled the roost among bullseye shooters. I have finally found a nice and (sort of) affordable one. Presently on its way to Chez Gnoahhh.
Iā€™d love to see pics of this one after it arrives!
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/25/23
If I have a bucket list gun, it's the Silver-Chrome HiPower I stupidlysold years ago - just months before it was announced that no more HP's would be made by FN.
Posted By: memtb Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/25/23
S&W 460 XVR in 5ā€ barrel version! memtb
Posted By: moosemike Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/25/23
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
I believe Adolph used a Walther PPK
Yes he did
Posted By: moosemike Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/25/23
Probably a Colt Python
Posted By: TC1 Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/25/23
Mine was a S&W model 15. Great gun.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/25/23
Well I went and did it, twelve years after the fact, my j-frame redundancy is restored to its previous levelā€¦.

I done got me a 638ā€¦ā€¦

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Which as can be seen is very different from the 642 it supplants šŸ™‚

Especially since I can no longer see what passes for sights after I cock the hammer for those single action carefully aimed long shots without reading glasses anywayā€¦

Next expenditureā€¦. another Uncle Mikeā€™s Combat Grip from somewhere since I switched out the ones just recently from the 642 that are now on the 638.
Posted By: Army_PSG Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/26/23
Originally Posted by TC1
Mine was a S&W model 15. Great gun.

I have one of these coming to me. A truly underappreciated pistol--IMHO one of the best 38 specials ever made
Posted By: killerv Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/26/23
I want a wwi or wwii 1911. I run across them, but haven't bit the bullet yet. Should have picked up a couple to atleast have and enjoy until I find a nicer one.
Posted By: Teal Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/26/23
Originally Posted by killerv
I want a wwi or wwii 1911. I run across them, but haven't bit the bullet yet. Should have picked up a couple to atleast have and enjoy until I find a nicer one.

How nice does it need to be? I picked up a US Army 1911A1 from the CMP a month ago. Colt - dates to 1944 for 1250.
Posted By: 1beaver_shooter Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/26/23
That 4 in diamond back that I had to sell. A 5in super Blackhawk and a 1911. Possibly a contender
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/26/23
If you were searching for your last handgun, one you have wanted for a long time or one that maybe puts everything you like in one package, what would it be?

I have always wanted a target pistol. One that was great for learning the art of handgun shooting. I thought I found it recently but am disappointed in what I chose. I don't want to bad mouth any company over a sample of one, so I will leave it at that.

Anyway, what would you choose?

I was looking for one that would be ideal for carry optics. I seem to be able to shoot a dot better than iron sights, which makes carry optics fun. Wish I would have ponied up and called Wilson Combat and had them put a dot on a CQB, but I didn't. Hindsight is 20/20, they say.

I shoot a Glock 47 now, and it does everything I need, it is just not nice. [i][/i]
The S&W M 69 .44 magnum with the 4.25" barrel.
Posted By: Sakohunter264 Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/27/23
Iā€™m seeking a 5ā€ SS S&W Pre-lock in 44 magnum. Might just be my grail pistol.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/27/23
I would love to swap a kidney for a German made Sig 229 X5, definitely a bucket list gun.

Also a long shot, Iā€™m looking to reunite with my old S&W 29-2, 6 1/2ā€ barrel, serial number N403663. I had to send it back to S&W shortly after I bought it when the cylinder began to drag on the frame. Took six months, but it was a ā€œwowā€ gun when it got back. Serial number on cylinder and barrel, best action I ever saw on a revolver, and was superbly accurate. I shot it a bit loose with my hardcast linotype bullets and 2400. Anyhow, itā€™s a for sure bucket list gun and have regretted selling for decades. Iā€™d pay a premium to get it back.
Posted By: Distridr Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/28/23
Sig P210 for some reason
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/28/23
A 4 1/2" Colt New Service in 44 Special, 45 Colt or ACP.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/28/23
My Grail Gun was a Ruger Old Army converted to .50 cal by David Clements. I spoke to David several times about building one but didnā€™t have the money every time he was starting to build them. When I finally had the money he quit building them due to supply problems. I finally found a used unfired one. I bought it and sent it to Bobby Tyler to have it engraved and I had Chigā€™s Grips make some Desert Ironwood grips for it. It is perfect.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/28/23
I been thinking about WWII P38. I am fine with something more common like ones made by Walther or Spandau Machinegun Factory.
Posted By: skeen Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/28/23
Originally Posted by Slavek
I been thinking about WWII P38. I am fine with something more common like ones made by Walther or Spandau Machinegun Factory.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/28/23
Hey, what up Ole' Sodbuster?
Posted By: pacecars Re: Bucket list gun? - 10/28/23
My other bucket list gun was a Linebaugh built gun. Caliber wasnā€™t important as I had been enamored with his guns since I read Ross Seyfriedā€™s first article on his guns. I finally got a chance to buy one of his Bisley Vaquero .500 Linebaughs and jumped on it. After shooting it I found it was beating up my middle finger so I had Ronnie Wells install his brass Bradshaw Bisley grips to it and he made some beautiful Walnut grips for it. It is also perfect now. The best part is after I bought it I spent a few hours talking to John Linebaugh about loads for it. He was kind enough to send me a bunch of hand written loading data.
Posted By: foamantelope Re: Bucket list gun? - 11/02/23
Wilson Combat Supergrade Commander
Posted By: StGeorger Re: Bucket list gun? - 11/02/23
Colt Shooting Master in 45 Co!t.
Posted By: BlackBranchFarm Re: Bucket list gun? - 11/03/23
There seem to be very few Wilson Combat Commanders available. This is the only one I have found. What are its pros and cons? I am not familiar with the grips on this sample.

https://wilsoncombat.com/handgun6517.html
Posted By: BlackBranchFarm Re: Bucket list gun? - 11/03/23
Originally Posted by pacecars
My Grail Gun was a Ruger Old Army converted to .50 cal by David Clements. I spoke to David several times about building one but didnā€™t have the money every time he was starting to build them. When I finally had the money he quit building them due to supply problems. I finally found a used unfired one. I bought it and sent it to Bobby Tyler to have it engraved and I had Chigā€™s Grips make some Desert Ironwood grips for it. It is perfect.

That is beautiful!

I am currently working on having my dad's old 44 restored, I hope to be able to gift it to his long time hunting buddy at Christmas. It won't be as pretty as that but I hope it will at least be classy.
© 24hourcampfire